Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of July 14
Topic Started: Jul 14 2008, 02:34 AM (3,998 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I will comment more on Thursday and Friday's episodes later but I don't get the issues with the Marlena/Rolf scene or the way Nicole/Ava was handled.

First off, Marlena was trying to convince Rolf to help her. She wasn't talking to him like a dear friend. She was trying to prove he can trust that she will adhere to her end of the bargain if he helped her. It wasn't just a chat over tea. Hell, Rolf even said he didn't trust Marlena. There was tension there. Neither wanted John to know they were meeting. There was nothing wrong with the scene. It would be different if they acted all chummy but they didn't.

As for Nicole and Ava, I feel Nicole's secret needs to be milked. Other then Kate/Daniel, Days does not have anything they can really build to as far as a startling reveal (well, Bo withholding evidence is another one but that just started). Nicole's story has had a clear direction all along and why let fans in on the secret at this point? It's not like it will do anything right now. We will just know it. By keeping us guessing, it keeps us interested until whatever it is can be used in the story. We know it involves Trent and Nicole is scared shit of him. I think that is enough to keep this going until the big reveal. Hell, we've only known about the secret for a little over a month. You can't move everything at a rapid pace or the story will be over in a few weeks. Everyone has been complaining about Higley's lack of suspense and now here she is trying to build up anticipation for Nicole's secret and that doesn't seem to be going over well either, which confuses me because this is what a story like this should be like. It's not like the way Higley revealed Theo was autistic offscreen. Now that was different and sucked. She is handling this Nicole thing the way it should be handled.

I do wholeheartedly agree about the Lucas/Sami scenes though. Enough is enough. It's actually making me want Chloe/Lucas.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 18 2008, 03:14 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

PhoenixRising05
Jul 18 2008, 03:11 PM
First off, Marlena was trying to convince Rolf to help her. She wasn't talking to him like a dear friend. She was trying to prove he can trust that she will adhere to her end of the bargain if he helped her. It wasn't just a chat over tea. Hell, Rolf even said he didn't trust Marlena. There was tension there. Neither wanted John to know they were meeting. There was nothing wrong with the scene. It would be different if they acted all chummy but they didn't.
You must not have been watching the same scenes I did, then, because that's exactly what she did. I half expected Marlena to start waxing poetic about the good ole days.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Mason
Jul 18 2008, 03:22 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 18 2008, 03:11 PM
You must not have been watching the same scenes I did, then, because that's exactly what she did. I half expected Marlena to start waxing poetic about the good ole days.
IA Mason, Marlena at the beginning threw her wrist out all limp like she was talking to a old girlfriend. I found the scenes to be ridiculous, one they were at the fucking Brady Pub, and two why would Marlena EVER trust Rolf.

I still LOVED the Ava/Nicole scenes, but why not let the viewers in on Nicole's past. I am tired of Trent grabbing her over and over and not knowing why. As far as I am concerned they have milked it enough. I do kinda like being in the dark to what Roman told Lucas though, sometimes I don't mind it.

I hope the show begins to build for the Olympics, but I highly doubt it. Maybe that will be when Stefano returns, who knows? I want something more than that anyway.

Ellie

Paxton
Jul 18 2008, 02:55 PM
Ellie, I don't even remember Marlena and Stefano having tea together at the Brady pub. What on earth was the rationale for that?
Hi, just had to look it up to make sure I had it right. It was as awful as I remembered. The rationale was... exposition of the Santeen story. Basically, Sheffer needed the audience to hear Stefano's (ie, the Dimeras') side of the story, so he had Stefano have tea in the pub with John and Marlena and explain how Santo and Colleen met in Galway. I'll spare you further details, but here's an actual quote from Stefano: "True lasting peace is in the hands of Samantha."

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Jul 18 2008, 05:02 PM
I'll spare you further details, but here's an actual quote from Stefano: "True lasting peace is in the hands of Samantha."
ROFL.

If true, lasting peace is in Samantha's hands, God help us all. Or, as Colleen would say, Lard help us all. That girl isn't at peace with anyone.

Ellie

Paxton
Jul 18 2008, 05:05 PM
as Colleen would say, Lard help us all.
ROFL, couldn't have said it any better.

Ellie

I've only watched the Marlena scenes of today's show so far, but regarding Marlena/Rolf, I guess my issue with it is that the audience is brought into the scene right when Marlena meets Rolf in the pub. I understand that Marlena feels that the disk is her only hope, and that Rolf is her only hope of having the disk repaired. (I can't believe I'm explaining Higley's plot, but bear with me here.) But, how about some scenes showing that Marlena is completely torn over the fact that she has to turn to someone who she finds so despicable? Marlena hates Rolf - when she first saw him at the mansion after the plane crash, she told John, "That man should be in prison." But today, the scenes were written as though it were the most natural thing in the world for Marlena to be asking Rolf for help. If there had been some scenes or even some dialogue explaining Marlena's inner conflict, that would have been an improvement. But of course Higley's not capable of such a thing.

I'd also like to make one comment on the direction of today's show. If there are two different sets of scenes taking place in the Brady Pub, I think the show shouldn't go right from one to the other. I wish they'd put other characters' scenes in between. When they do the Pub scenes in a row, as they did today with Ava/Nicole and then Marlena/Rolf, it seems to beg the question of what were the pairs talking about before the camera hit them. Were they just sitting frozen, waiting for the camera? We're presumably hearing their entire conversation, so it really doesn't make sense to have the camera 'catch' them already talking.

cjknick
Member Avatar

We have this wonderful scripted deep conversations between EJ and Sami and you can almost cut the sexual tension with a knife it's so thick. They have depth and feeling with out going over board or over acted - there is no fake crying or high voltage screaming ... EJ actually whispers and talks under his breath... the flow is natural and not forced. They switch it up great stuff ...

Then we got Lucas and Sami and we are at high voltage scream city, Sami cries, Lucas screams, Sami screams, Lucas scrawls! Their dialogue is the same over and over .... Ugh!

When EJ and Sami are on I turn up the volume and when Lucas and Sami are on I turn the volume down!

Days4Life

Didn't Marlena make the comment to Rolf that to anyone who saw them, it would just be two old friends talking? That struck me as very odd. Marlena has never been friendly to Rolf. Which does make sense as to why Rolf wouldn't trust her--because she's never shown him anything but disdain and dislike in the past. Then all of a sudden she's having a girl chat with him. Weird.

I understand the concept of building suspense with Nicole's secret; however, I think it's been long enough. At a certain point, it just gets frustrating. After enough frustration, it becomes apathy.

Mason

Days4Life
Jul 18 2008, 09:49 PM
Didn't Marlena make the comment to Rolf that to anyone who saw them, it would just be two old friends talking? That struck me as very odd. Marlena has never been friendly to Rolf. Which does make sense as to why Rolf wouldn't trust her--because she's never shown him anything but disdain and dislike in the past. Then all of a sudden she's having a girl chat with him. Weird.
Not only weird, but completely out of character.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

I agree with many of you about today's show. I was watching today's show on soapnet just a second ago. I could have sworn that Roman called Sami Carrie today. I just wanted to see if anyone else heard that. But it was during Sami's melt down about Lucas going to a maximum security prison.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I've watched the Marlena/Rolf scenes three times and all I can say is I must be missing something because I see nothing but Marlena trying to get Rolf to help her. She was just reaching out to him and appealing to the fact that Rolf isn't enjoying his current situation either. There also wasn't a need for a scene of Marlena being torn over turning to Rolf. If your a regular fan, it's self explanatory why she turned to him because of the disk. This isn't JER. The audience doesn't need everything fed to them. I had no problem with the scenes because i understood what Marlena was trying to do. She doesn't trust Rolf and he doesn't trust her. That was made known IMO. She was just trying to make a deal with him by trying to get him to trust her. He is her only chance. I felt the tension, especially when John called and neither one wanted him to know what was going on. Her "old friends" comment I felt was directed at the fact that Rolf had tried to disguise himself and I also thought Marlena was being a little sarcastic and making a nod to all the bad things Rolf did to them in Stefano's name. To each their own I guess but I don't get the issue with the scenes. I liked Rolf's disguise too LOL.

Loved Nicole and Ava. I will miss their friendship. Lucas and Sami was a waste but I am intrigued by the Lucas/Roman stuff. Stax was just atrocious but the train scenes do look good and kudos to Shelley for learning some French. EJ/John was good too. Nice to see Judge Fitzpatrick and I liked all the business talk and EJ going to work for John. I like that EJ's kind of going back to his Dimera ways and the mention of him "not always being a nice guy" makes me wonder if we will see them go farther with this. Really enjoyed it.

A few comments about Thursday's episode...I really enjoyed the Victor/Kate scenes. Love those two together and I knew Kate was due for interfering in one of her kid's lives LOL. Love the Bo conflict too and him covering everything up. The Bo/Philip scene was well-done. It explained Bo's motivation perfectly. Loved it.

The rest as eh. The Marlena/Roman stuff was just a waste and the same shit I've heard for over a decade and I felt they wasted too much time on building up to Stephanie leaving Salem. She's only going on a damn trip LOL. I did also enjoy the little Caroline/Victor scene and I love that Caroline and Victor are both active in story right now.

The week kind of ended slow but it was still solid IMO. I'm excited for next week.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jul 19 2008, 01:37 AM
I've watched the Marlena/Rolf scenes three times and all I can say is I must be missing something because I see nothing but Marlena trying to get Rolf to help her. She was just reaching out to him and appealing to the fact that Rolf isn't enjoying his current situation either. There also wasn't a need for a scene of Marlena being torn over turning to Rolf. If your a regular fan, it's self explanatory why she turned to him because of the disk. This isn't JER. The audience doesn't need everything fed to them. I had no problem with the scenes because i understood what Marlena was trying to do. She doesn't trust Rolf and he doesn't trust her. That was made known IMO. She was just trying to make a deal with him by trying to get him to trust her. He is her only chance. I felt the tension, especially when John called and neither one wanted him to know what was going on. Her "old friends" comment I felt was directed at the fact that Rolf had tried to disguise himself and I also thought Marlena was being a little sarcastic and making a nod to all the bad things Rolf did to them in Stefano's name. To each their own I guess but I don't get the issue with the scenes. I liked Rolf's disguise too LOL.

Loved Nicole and Ava. I will miss their friendship. Lucas and Sami was a waste but I am intrigued by the Lucas/Roman stuff. Stax was just atrocious but the train scenes do look good and kudos to Shelley for learning some French. EJ/John was good too. Nice to see Judge Fitzpatrick and I liked all the business talk and EJ going to work for John. I like that EJ's kind of going back to his Dimera ways and the mention of him "not always being a nice guy" makes me wonder if we will see them go farther with this. Really enjoyed it.

A few comments about Thursday's episode...I really enjoyed the Victor/Kate scenes. Love those two together and I knew Kate was due for interfering in one of her kid's lives LOL. Love the Bo conflict too and him covering everything up. The Bo/Philip scene was well-done. It explained Bo's motivation perfectly. Loved it.

The rest as eh. The Marlena/Roman stuff was just a waste and the same shit I've heard for over a decade and I felt they wasted too much time on building up to Stephanie leaving Salem. She's only going on a damn trip LOL. I did also enjoy the little Caroline/Victor scene and I love that Caroline and Victor are both active in story right now.

The week kind of ended slow but it was still solid IMO. I'm excited for next week.
I'm almost beginning to feel like a Phoenix cheerleader again, but once again, my friend, you made excellent points. Why is this any different with Marlena and Rolf than it is when Marlena had to turn to EJ to help her find John in the first place? Good grief, she's been at that mansion on and off for, what? 6 months or so. Certainly she's learned to tolerate and handle Rolf, especially when she sees it to her advantage to get what she wants. KUDOS to Rolf for not giving into her!!! I love that. I did have to laugh at the MArlena/Roman scenes where they're discussing Sami and playing two men. Irony is lost on Marlena.............

And, hey, at least Kate is interfering with Philip for a while and not Lucas. That's refreshing. We could have had a scene where Kate dresses as a female warden or something trying to break Lucas out of jail, or better yet, a scene where KATE set up the Lucas/Chloe elevator sex, only to have Sami witness it. That's progress, isn't it?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply