Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Paul Rauch Joining Y&R
Topic Started: Jul 14 2008, 04:22 PM (930 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

According to TV Guide's Michael Logan, Paul Rauch will be joining Y&R as a Creative Consultant.

There's speculation that he might be promoted to Executive Producer status later.

I really don't know what to say about this. The man is talented, but can make some really bad decisions.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

I don't know what to say about this either...

Y&R has a lot of successful people over there now though.

I'd be shocked if that show did not soar to new heights this fall, winter, and spring.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Thanks for the scoop!

I'm not real familiar with Paul Rauch's work, so it will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Mason
Member Avatar

Rauch has definitely made some boneheaded decisions, but I think he'll work really well with Josh Griffith, MAB, and Hogan. I've also read that Thom Racina has joined the Y&R writing team, and he's pretty good too. I really think I'm gonna check out Y&R soon, and see how I like it.

Manny
Member Avatar

Wow.. interesting... some big "behind-the-camera" names have been brought to Y&R lately.. Good thing I started watching again... Hopefully, they won't disappoint..

~bl~
Member Avatar

I think this is interesting, but Rauch is getting up there in age. I wonder what happened to his work with foreign programming.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Eh, I'm pretty unsure about this. It could either be really, really good or really, really bad.

BC2.0
Member Avatar
Jester

I'm kinda nervous about Rauch going to Y&R. He was great over at AW & OLTL (for the most part), but his time at GL and Santa Barbara left much to be desired. In addition, his rep for pissing off his female actresses (Louise Sorel, Jacqui Courtney, Maeve Kinkead, etc.) is quite legendary. But maybe he'll do well at Y&R, but I'm still apprehensive.

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

I see Paul Rauch I think: San Cristobel, Royal Guiding Light, Time Traveling Reva, Clone Reva I am sure there's more...

Manny
Member Avatar

He did Clone Reva? I LOVED that! LOL

It was such a silly storyline and I don't want anything like that on Y&R, but I really enjoyed that one! Maybe because I was like 14 at the time... LOL

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

^LOL! To be fair, a lot of that was B&E.

Rauch has done traditional soap opera before, his 70's stint on AW is a testament to that.

Mason
Member Avatar

Manny
Jul 14 2008, 07:22 PM
He did Clone Reva? I LOVED that! LOL
Bless you! Now I think there's...3 or 4 of us here who actually did like it! :laugh:

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

and so begins the creative merry-go-round that has killed every other soap.

What always kept the Bell soaps tops in terms of production and quality was their consistancy with their producers and writers, their promotions from within and their grooming of up and coming talent.

I wish someone would just watch some old episodes, and get a feel for how to write the sweeping story arcs that were conveyed through the everyday conversations of the Genoa City residents. Y&R used to do amazing workplace storylines, now its all just amounting to people just going to work.
Edited by Drew, Jul 14 2008, 09:01 PM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Drew
Jul 14 2008, 08:55 PM
and so begins the creative merry-go-round that has killed every other soap.

What always kept the Bell soaps tops in terms of production and quality was their consistancy with their producers and writers, their promotions from within and their grooming of up and coming talent.
To be fair, none of that is helping B&B creatively at the moment.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

because sadly, Bill Bell made these shows, and without him to guide them, they are just empty shells. I dont think its ever going to change.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I think part of Y&R's problem is the non-Bell regimes seem to think Y&R is above plot based stories, and over the top characters and stories. That it's supposed to be the uber realistic soap. People go to work, run companies, talk business gibberish, and swap bed mates for the hell of it because we dont do destiny couples here.

Meanwhile ... Sheila Carter, David Kimball, Phyllis Summers, Mary Jo Mason, Rose DeVille, old school Jill Abbott. Nina & Phillip, Nina/Ryan/Victoria, Tracy/Brad/Lauren, Cricket & Danny, Cricket & Paul, Olivia/Nate/Keesha, etc etc etc.
Edited by Drew, Jul 14 2008, 09:10 PM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Paul Rauch's AW was some of the best produced television out there. There was no camp or anything on it. The campiest thing he did or him and Harding was to have Louise Goddard give her pets name and make Vivian Gorrow very eccentric. But neither were over the top or anything like that.

I think Rauch fell victim to the big front in soaps when he was on them in the 80's. The networks were pushing for the next Luke & Laura, the next Mikkos Cassadine freezing the world, the next Stefano DiMera, the next shocking story, and then at GL by that time all of them were looking for the next devil possession story, etc.

It is just like NBC telling the producers and writers to make Another World just like Days of Our Lives in the late 80's and 90's. It was ridiculous.

Soaps in the 60's and 70's, copied stories and the like from each other but they did them within the style and format of their show - they didn't try to make the shows clone of the other shows. that all changed in the 80's. Every soap tried to be just like GH and then later they all tried to be over the top just like Days with the possession story and all.

I know a lot of people keep talking about getting Kay Alden and Jack Smith back since they were brought up under Bell. I personally even they were unfaithful to a lot of what made Bell's Y&R strong esp. Jack Smith. I completely quit watching under him.

No one is going to write it just like Bell. I am not sure why but Nixon and Bell were not able to groom their proteges as well as Irna Phillips was able to groom them. Nixon and Bell wrote very much in the Phillips fashion but I don't think Alden or Bell or even Pat Falken Smith & Sherri Anderson who were also two of Bell's proteges ever stuck to what they learned under Bell.

Also look at people like Tom Langan who was groomed under Bell. He definitely didn't learn anything.

Y&R will never be as great as it was under Bell. I personally think if Rauch sticks to what he did at AW he can be good for Y&R - very good for it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply