Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers & Previews; week of 7/28 *updated 7/22*
Topic Started: Jul 16 2008, 03:01 PM (6,154 Views)
pagraves
Member Avatar

Mason
Jul 16 2008, 08:53 PM
Kayla's too busy being window dressing for Stax's bullshit.
That's the problem, though. She's not busy at all, propping Stax or otherwise.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

pagraves
Jul 16 2008, 09:05 PM
Mason
Jul 16 2008, 08:53 PM
Kayla's too busy being window dressing for Stax's bullshit.
That's the problem, though. She's not busy at all, propping Stax or otherwise.
We know that. But Higley probably figures this is enough to keep us satisfied in her stupid mind.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think we will see Steve and Kayla get more action upon Stefano's return, at least I hope so. I think they figure they could give them a rest and save money since it's clear they believe not as many people care for them and Tony and Anna so they gave both couples most of the summer to use the money on other vets like Caroline, Victor, Kate, Bo, Hope, John, etc. I think come August we will see Tony, Steve, and Kayla more as we move toward Fall, when older characters tend to get back into the middle of story. That is what I'm thinking and hoping.

Kenny
Member Avatar

By the way, why are they making Paul Hollingsworth such a big deal? I don't care about him, I didn't care about him when he was on the show and I don't care about him now that he's missing or dead or whatever. Move on!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't think the fans are supposed to care about Paul. The fans are supposed to care about his affect on characters like John, Philip, Victor, etc. I mean, no one cares about Paul because he's a recurring character who has been around since March. I like Linden Ashby but I could care less about Paul. I liked him but he wasn't around long. It's more about his connection with other characters and that is what I, personally, care about. However, those that don't like the story won't care, which is understandable.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jul 16 2008, 09:19 PM
By the way, why are they making Paul Hollingsworth such a big deal?
Because Higley thinks it's interesting. And that's all that matters.

Shylock

What they should do is cut the following:

Tony and Anna (I LOVE them, but they're not being used AT ALL)
Abe and Lexie (I never cared for Lexie and they can send Abe with her so they can take care of Theo)
And get rid of Josh Taylor as Roman. Roman's not needed and if they're not going to use Wayne Northrop in that part then they just need to be done with the character for now.

You clear that out and add Vivian and Lawrence (and ONLY if it's Michael Sabatino in the role) to the canvas, then you have some shit to work with right there. Steve and Kayla would instantly get a storyline, Phillip could have a new business rival to sharpen his teeth, and you could throw him in the mix with John/Marlena/Stefano.

I'd be kind of hesitant about removing the only black characters on the show, because it takes away some of the diversity of Days.. but. I'd rather clear space for useful characters than keep people sucking money from the budget who have no use. If you want, you can recast Jett with a young, talented black actor and have him join up with the Salem PD. With Roman and Abe leaving, he could fill the hole and add a younger face to the mix. And you could slowly build him up over time rather than shoving him in our face like they did during the Touch The Sky storyline. But I probably would hold off on doing that and just focus on the rest of the characters.
Edited by Shylock, Jul 16 2008, 09:31 PM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well as much as I love Tanna too, I agree they really have no place on the canvas, however now that Stefano is coming back I don't think it makes sense at this time to write them out. If they were dumping Tanna they should have given them a wedding sendoff for sweeps and sent them on their merry way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I wouldn't write out Abe or Lexie. Their portrayers have been loyal and never bitched. Drop Jim Reynolds to recurring since he's used like that anyway and keep RJ on contract. I would also keep Tanna around for now with Stefano returning but I do think at some point they can be cut. Josh Taylor will never be axed with Corday there. He should be but he won't.

I say give Stefano one last hurrah and get rid of him and send Tony and Anna with him. I love them all but I think it may be time, at least in Stefano's case. Then maybe cut one more person and bring back Lawrence, Carly, Nicholas, and MAYBE Vivian. I'm on the fence with her but I would think she may return before any of the others because most recent fans know her. The return of the Alamain's would open many doors for many characters including Steve and Kayla. I think it would be interesting and fun.

I think the plan was to just send Tony and Anna off in May but his Emmy nod probably saved his job. I think Corday didn't want to have another Martha Madison situation by firing a critically acclaimed actor so he kept them. That would explain the way they left town and how they just married and honeymooned so fast and why they have had not hing since. Their advertising story was even tied up fast so I think there was and still isn't a clear plan and the show also wants to save money by only using who they have to and they don't feel Tanna or Steve and Kayla are priorities with many recent fans. Thaoo mentioned a story coming but who knows when that will happen and he hyped the advertising story up alot and it went nowhere.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 16 2008, 09:43 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I'd take Tony/Anna & Abe/Lexie over 90% of the current cast.

Mason
Member Avatar

I think the idea of Lawrence/Carly/Vivian ever returning is just a pipe dream. They've pretty much been all but forgotten.

Shylock

I don't know if they necessarily need to bring back Carly right away. Isn't her original portrayer on another show? I'm generally against casting someone that isn't the original if the original was so superior. Example: I'd choose Wayne instead of Josh, I'd choose Jason Cook instead of Brandon Beemer (hell, I would've sent Shawn off for a little while and found someone capable to replace him), and so on and so forth. I think the guy who played Lawrence was awesome in that role and he had a bit of a sleaze to him that you'd need from that kind of villain. Ditto with the woman who played Carly. She just had something special. It's like, if someone Stefano's a role and leaves an imprint of how a certain character should be (much like Reckell with Bo, Kristian with Hope, Stephen with Patch, etc), then they shouldn't have someone else replace them if the other one is open to returning.

Carly could've died or divorced him sometime, and she could come back at a later time when her original portrayer was available. Lawrence, Nicholas and Vivian could come back in the meantime. I'd like to see how Vivian reacts to that John's a Brady. Although, a part of me would hope that she says "Ohhh, I knew that the whole time.", someone else is like "Then why didn't you say anything?", Vivian replies "Nobody asked." I think that would be so Vivian in ways. And Nicholas had an affair with Kate last time he was on the show, didn't he? I'd hope they casted him in the Sami/EJ/Nicole age range, though.

Also, I would love to see her and Kate spar off some more. I think it'd be awesome for her to come on like, right about now. Especially with Kate having a fling with Daniel and keeping it a secret.

Aye. She'd be fun. They'd have to bring back Ivan though. I don't think I know anyone who likes Vivian who wouldn't be disappointed if they brought her without Ivan.

On the side: Why's Corday have such a hard-on for Josh Taylor as Roman?
Edited by Shylock, Jul 16 2008, 09:53 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^The actress who portrayed Carly, Crystal Chappell, has a contract that expires in September and with everyone else leaving GL, it's been speculated she might too. Usually, every year the Carly talk amps up a bit.

I think Mason is right and we will never see it. I tend to think Vivian returning may have more of a chance at a comeback then Carly and/or Lawrence and, keep in mind, that is a long shot at best with the way she exited.

Pearly
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 16 2008, 08:58 PM
Pearly_Moon
Jul 16 2008, 05:49 PM
Kevc1980
Jul 16 2008, 05:36 PM
And Stefano is back as the Olympics cliffhanger right?
Are the Olympics going to pre-empt Days?
They won't be preempted. It was announced back in June and I think it was posted here (it may have been lost in the shuffle though because it came with news of the Days renewal). However, much like last month with the golf, some time zones will have Days on at different times. I think the EST time zone will be relatively unaffected but the others I have no idea. I think that is the concern with this and this is why Days needs to make sure to do alot to keep people going before, during, and after the Olympics. I think Days' numbers will be much like they were for the golf preemptions last month and then we will see what happens after. I think the show is getting going in a good direction at the right time so let's hope the recent upturn goes through to the Olympics and that the show only gets better.
Thanks Phoenix! ;)

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well if Crystal Chappell is looking for somewhere else to go, I'd welcome her back in Salem whether it was as Carly or not. Michael Sabatino, too. He was a great villain but I even loved him as campy JT Cornell on Passions.

Getting my hopes up before I have them dashed though, I'm curious if there has ever been a Carly-Bo-Hope triangle on the show or was Hope already gone before Bo-Carly happened and Carly gone before Gina/Hope came back? Gosh I loved Bo-Carly when I first started watching DAYS and whether Carly was part of a love triangle with Bo or with somebody else, I'd love having her back.

Shylock

PhoenixRising05
Jul 16 2008, 09:58 PM
^The actress who portrayed Carly, Crystal Chappell, has a contract that expires in September and with everyone else leaving GL, it's been speculated she might too. Usually, every year the Carly talk amps up a bit.

I think Mason is right and we will never see it. I tend to think Vivian returning may have more of a chance at a comeback then Carly and/or Lawrence and, keep in mind, that is a long shot at best with the way she exited.
Yeah. It's fun to dream though. And it's too bad. It's almost like Corday & Co don't really care about the show. You gotta do what's best for business, I think.. and with the Canvas the way it is.. there aren't many people that can give the veteran couples something to work with and help develop the younger stars. Lawrence, Viv and Nicholas returning would probably add a lot. Then there's Carly, who has a past with Bo. I'm sure they could have her, on the sly, still be attracted to Bo although married to Lawrence. Then there's Steve/Kayla, John and Phillip (didn't Lawrence have issues with Victor?) among others that could tangle with Lawrence. I think they should start setting up something now for the post-Dimera Days. They need a villain that's exciting and fresh and I think Lawrence would be just that. Plus there's history to play with. Etc.

I think the DiMeras are about played and the only thing left to do with Stefano is a story that ends in his death or permanent incarceration in a federal penitentiary. Or him leaving a broken, bitter man and going off to die in Italy alone surrounded only by his servants and orange gardens. I mean, a total homage to The Godfather Part III.

Bringing them in would be great. It opens so many creative avenues to go with. It's a pity that Corday's pettiness and bad judgment gets in the way of potential money making stories.
Edited by Shylock, Jul 16 2008, 10:15 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Shylock
Jul 16 2008, 09:51 PM
They'd have to bring back Ivan though. I don't think I know anyone who likes Vivian who wouldn't be disappointed if they brought her without Ivan.
I wouldn't be too upset, actually, and I loved Vivian. At times, I feel that Ivan is part of what made Vivian the butt of so many jokes.

Shylock

IMissAremid
Jul 16 2008, 10:14 PM
Well if Crystal Chappell is looking for somewhere else to go, I'd welcome her back in Salem whether it was as Carly or not. Michael Sabatino, too. He was a great villain but I even loved him as campy JT Cornell on Passions.

Getting my hopes up before I have them dashed though, I'm curious if there has ever been a Carly-Bo-Hope triangle on the show or was Hope already gone before Bo-Carly happened and Carly gone before Gina/Hope came back? Gosh I loved Bo-Carly when I first started watching DAYS and whether Carly was part of a love triangle with Bo or with somebody else, I'd love having her back.

I've been brushing up on my history lately (Youtube, bethsdayspage, etc), since I was too young to remember most of that stuff. But it's my understanding that Carly jumped back with Lawrence and left with Nicholas after giving Bo his engagement ring back to which he threw in Salem harbor in anger. I don't think she ever got to spar with Hope over Bo. It'd be interesting, because I think it's the only other character in Days history that fans accepted as a possible second to Bo. I think Billie was universally hated, from what I recall.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I wouldn't mind being corrected. =P

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Jul 16 2008, 10:14 PM

Carly was never on the show when Hope was around. Hope "died" in 1990 and Carly debuted around 1989-1990 but Kristian was off the show then and only returned for the COD story in 1990 (which was like 2 months). Peter Reckell was replaced by RKK in 1992 and Carly left in 1993 while Hope returned in 1994 so the potential is great for a Carly/Bo/Hope situation because nothing was ever really played with them.

The problem is you have fanbases who would be pissed and you have many fans who don't even know who the Alamain's are other then Vivian. You run into the same problem you had with characters like Steve, Kayla, and Adrienne. No one knows them because Days has more fans of the 90's and 2000's now the 80's it seems. At least J&J were on during JER's reign. Granted, they were recasts but people still knew them when they returned in 2000/2001. I think that is why they had Stefano responsible for what happened to Steve and not Lawrence, who it should've been. They thought more fans would care because it was Stefano.

The Alamain's have so much untapped potential it's ridiculous.

Mason
Member Avatar

I still wish Ava had turned out to be Lawrence's daughter. It would have made a lot more sense on so many levels.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply