Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Swingtown; John & Ava have sex
Topic Started: Jul 17 2008, 10:02 AM (3,094 Views)
JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

If I had bought the article and if I had a cat I would so stick the article in a litterbox and let the cat sh** all over it. :shame: :shithitfan: :angry:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jul 17 2008, 12:53 PM
^Why would you fault Drake for liking the John/Ava pairing? He's entitled and I can't blame him. It's new and different for him to play. Many fans had the same reaction to Drake enjoying the Jate/Kate relationship. He clearly just liked doing something new, just like he is now. It's challenging for him. I'm sure Dee would like something like that. You get sick of the same thing over and over. Drake seems very happy with the material since his return. The only time he seemed a bit miffed was in this interview when he mentioned the limited J&M interaction, which I can see his point. That is the only thing I have not liked in the last two months. They aren't giving J&M enough scenes together but that will come and I really think they are limiting Dee's apperances because she will need to be on alot when Stefano returns and with the Fall coming (which is usually when the teen and young cast move back to the side for older characters and vets) and they don't want the vets going over or too far over their guarantees.

This does sound good. I'm sure it will be hot and Drew is right. It's nice to hear Dena talking about story and I would much rather have her then Corday (especially since if it fails, she falls flat on her face). I look forward to the upcoming stuff Dena is previewing. No doubt it has to do with Stefano and it's coming at the right time with the Olympics starting soon.
Phoenix, this box can't hold all the kudos I want to give you for this post. Poor Drake. Dammit, can't the man have an opinion of his own about his job without some folks jumping his ass about it? I'm sure he's getting a kick out of basically playing a whole new personality. Certainly this personality has earned Drake some new fans or renewed some old ones.
Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but doggone it, what IS on a TV show?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Jul 17 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks Jonatha.

If Higley is a "John and Ava" fan and doesn't like Marlena (which the article pretty much confirms in my mind), that's her prerogative. Unfortunately, most of the Days fans have the opposite preferences. I know some on this board don't like them, but John and Marlena are two of the most popular characters on Days. Most viewers expected a J&M love story when Drake returned, and that expectation was only reinforced when the magazine stories in the winter told viewers that a J&M story was planned.

Now, Dena has sabotaged what could have been a "home run" with this new Java pairing, which is all in vain because it will be over when TB leaves. Who knows, with this, Dena may have sabotaged her own career as well. I certainly hope she has, anyway.
Ellie, how can you speak for "most" Days fans when it's pretty well established that "most Days fans" don't even post on message boards? I'm sorry. That phrase just bothers the heck out of me. We honestly don't know WHAT most Days fans want, or why most of them tune out, if they tune out, or turn the TV on when they do. I can pretty well guess that most people who watch Days don't even know how to write to the studio and don't care.
If it's an issue about ratings, there have been more valid postings about the whole ratings workings than I care to shake a stick at, so that's not a good measure. The low ratings can't be blamed on John and Ava any more than they can be blamed on EJ and Sami, EJ and Nicole, Lucas and Sami, Lucas and Chloe, Chelsea and DAniel (although I'd LOVE to blame the ratings on them), Kate and Daniel, or Rolf and POOKIE for that matter.
On the contrary, though, based on board postings, I've seen quite a few fans who have fallen for Drake all over again or some who never liked him who like him now because of this new character. But, is he the be all and end all of Days? Hardly. And if the ratings went up, I wouldn't say it was because of nuJawn or anything.
So, unless someone is part of a Nielson ratings team or part of a Gallup poll team who do a great scientific survey, we cannot honestly say what MOST Days fans want.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Jul 18 2008, 08:51 PM.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Jul 18 2008, 08:50 PM
Ellie
Thanks Jonatha.

If Higley is a "John and Ava" fan and doesn't like Marlena (which the article pretty much confirms in my mind), that's her prerogative. Unfortunately, most of the Days fans have the opposite preferences. I know some on this board don't like them, but John and Marlena are two of the most popular characters on Days. Most viewers expected a J&M love story when Drake returned, and that expectation was only reinforced when the magazine stories in the winter told viewers that a J&M story was planned.

Now, Dena has sabotaged what could have been a "home run" with this new Java pairing, which is all in vain because it will be over when TB leaves. Who knows, with this, Dena may have sabotaged her own career as well. I certainly hope she has, anyway.
Ellie, how can you speak for "most" Days fans when it's pretty well established that "most Days fans" don't even post on message boards? I'm sorry. That phrase just bothers the heck out of me. We honestly don't know WHAT most Days fans want, or why most of them tune out, if they tune out, or turn the TV on when they do. I can pretty well guess that most people who watch Days don't even know how to write to the studio and don't care.
If it's an issue about ratings, there have been more valid postings about the whole ratings workings than I care to shake a stick at, so that's not a good measure. The low ratings can't be blamed on John and Ava any more than they can be blamed on EJ and Sami, EJ and Nicole, Lucas and Sami, Lucas and Chloe, Chelsea and DAniel (although I'd LOVE to blame the ratings on them), Kate and Daniel, or Rolf and POOKIE for that matter.
On the contrary, though, based on board postings, I've seen quite a few fans who have fallen for Drake all over again or some who never liked him who like him now because of this new character. But, is he the be all and end all of Days? Hardly. And if the ratings went up, I wouldn't say it was because of nuJawn or anything.
So, unless someone is part of a Nielson ratings team or part of a Gallup poll team who do a great scientific survey, we cannot honestly say what MOST Days fans want.
I think you and I have different views on whether the ratings can 'prove' anything, so I really think we're not going to be able to agree on this. I think that ratings and demographics, surveys, online boards, etc can all be used to get a general sense of what's working and what's not. I've seen from your posts that you don't feel the same way. I was basing my post that you quoted on this viewpoint, but given your viewpoint that the ratings are more random and not an indicator of anything, I can see why you'd disagree.

Enjoy your evening, I'm going to be away tonight/tomorrow so won't be able to respond till tomorrow night.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Have you guys seen the photo of Tamara and Drake? OMG, just look at her. Tamara is without a doubt on my top 3 wanting to fuck list.

Posted Image

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Get her back Days, GET HER BACK!

Ellie

Sindacco
Jul 20 2008, 06:34 PM
Have you guys seen the photo of Tamara and Drake?

By the way, the picture is photoshopped, I'm pretty sure. My friend who is a graphic artist saw it and had the same thought. They took a pic of Tamara and a pic of Drake and made it look like she's standing in front of him. I don't think they had a photoshoot together.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Is Tamara photoshopped or just the two of them together?

Ellie

Sindacco
Jul 20 2008, 06:46 PM
Is Tamara photoshopped or just the two of them together?
Hi, what I meant was, SOD took individual pictures of each of them and put them together. (I didn't mean that the Tamara picture was photoshopped.)

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Yeah that's what I thought, just wasn't sure.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Jul 18 2008, 09:21 PM
ladyofthelake
Jul 18 2008, 08:50 PM
Ellie
Thanks Jonatha.

I think you and I have different views on whether the ratings can 'prove' anything, so I really think we're not going to be able to agree on this. I think that ratings and demographics, surveys, online boards, etc can all be used to get a general sense of what's working and what's not. I've seen from your posts that you don't feel the same way. I was basing my post that you quoted on this viewpoint, but given your viewpoint that the ratings are more random and not an indicator of anything, I can see why you'd disagree.

Enjoy your evening, I'm going to be away tonight/tomorrow so won't be able to respond till tomorrow night.
Ratings certainly can't pinpoint which storyline or characters are popular or not popular. I would say that would be a balance of letters, e-mails, with a small percentage being message boards. Ratings, if anything, show an average. And they certainly don't count people with VCRs, cable DVRs, and people who watch SoapNet. And obviously, not everyone has a Neilson box. I'm rather certain that's not only my observation. Certainly, like I mentioned earlier, we have no indication of the letters and e-mails TPTB get, nor do we know who calls the comment lines. And, I'm still willing to wager those people are the same few fans who KNOW about these avenues, and not the majority of the viewers. After all, the same person can e-mail various people, write, call, AND post on various message boards with a variety of names. Look at Terry. :D
And, again, we as general viewers do NOT know what "THE FANS" like, so unless we work in the studio or at a magazine, we shouldn't be making that assumption. And you're right. We won't agree. I don't care if I'm commenting on the popularity of J&M, Ejami, or the Jolly Green Giant, my assertations would be the same.

And, yes, Sindacco, that picture is hot! Too bad they won't give Java more of a chance. I don't know if the majority of Days viewers enjoy them or not, but this viewer does! I guess the proof will be in the pudding later.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Jul 20 2008, 06:38 PM
Sindacco

By the way, the picture is photoshopped, I'm pretty sure. My friend who is a graphic artist saw it and had the same thought. They took a pic of Tamara and a pic of Drake and made it look like she's standing in front of him. I don't think they had a photoshoot together.
Doesn't mean they don't look hot together! And, why should that be such a surprise? Surely, that's not the first time that's happened with any two actors.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Jul 20 2008, 07:36 PM
Ellie
Sindacco

Doesn't mean they don't look hot together! And, why should that be such a surprise? Surely, that's not the first time that's happened with any two actors.
I just thought it was interesting that SOD chose not to do a photoshoot for that story.

Drakelicious

ladyofthelake
Ellie
Sindacco

OMG, you wanna see HOT? Check out the Java caps for Monday's show, OMG, OMG, OMG!

I've never seen anything this HOT! Page 6 and 7 is where they kiss BIG TIME! Now THAT is a love scene!

http://tamara-braun.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=511&page=5
Edited by Drakelicious, Jul 20 2008, 08:03 PM.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Jul 20 2008, 07:34 PM
Ratings certainly can't pinpoint which storyline or characters are popular or not popular. I would say that would be a balance of letters, e-mails, with a small percentage being message boards.
Quote:

we have no indication of the letters and e-mails TPTB get, nor do we know who calls the comment lines. And, I'm still willing to wager those people are the same few fans who KNOW about these avenues, and not the majority of the viewers.
Quote:

And, again, we as general viewers do NOT know what "THE FANS" like, so unless we work in the studio or at a magazine, we shouldn't be making that assumption.
I disagree about the ratings, but just so I understand your argument before I respond, you're saying that ratings cannot be an indicator of what's popular, but letters, emails and message boards can? You said that letters indicate what's popular, but that letters come mostly from online viewers, but then you said that unless I work at the studio, I can't know what fans want. So I'm wondering, how do people at the studio know what fans want? Or is that the letters and emails coming into play?

Quote:

Ratings, if anything, show an average. And they certainly don't count people with VCRs, cable DVRs, and people who watch SoapNet.
Yes, they do. The ratings that we see each week are "Live + Same Day". This includes people who watch "live" (when the show is actually on) and those who record the show and watch it the same day. I believe there are also ratings released for "Live + __ days" that the show sees, to indicate who watches __ days after. (I think 3, 7 and 10 days.) Soapnet is not counted in the NBC ratings, but they have their own ratings, so NBC could certainly look and see how Days does on Soapnet as well.

Quote:

And obviously, not everyone has a Neilson box.
Right. Nielsen has worked out a formula to cull a sample that represents the various demographics and viewing patterns. It's not perfect, but since virtually all shows and networks rely on it, there must be something to it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jul 20 2008, 07:39 PM
ladyofthelake
Ellie
Sindacco

I just thought it was interesting that SOD chose not to do a photoshoot for that story.
SOD hardly ever does them anymore for various reasons so that doesn't mean much. Most of their covers in recent years have been photo-shopped and poorly at that.

The pics of Tamara and Drake look great IMO and that pick of her from SOD looks new. I LOVE her hair in that picture.

And about the ratings, they have nor will they ever be an accurate measuring stick, especially now. Many on this board and others will agree on that. In recent times, the ratings tend to reflect more event/action drive storytelling. Blow something up and that will equal an increase. Tell a good story with character development and that will get you a record low. Just look back at the numbers the last few years. They tell that sad story.

Most shows use focus groups now to determine what is working because you have people that ballot stuff on polls and alot of letters from fans aren't helpful at all (especially if you have someone like Terry hanging around) so focus groups seem to be a major measure. The issue there is that many of the people in them have no idea what the hell they are doing. A good example of that is what happened to Dan Gauthier on OLTL. ABC claims he didn't do well with focus groups so they fired him, despite him being pretty well-liked. It's a real mess with Days though because you don't know who to listen to. So many groups want different things and different types of storytelling. It's like I've said before...I don't think I've seen more then 50% of Days fans ever happy with the show since the mid 90's and that does not help and already struggling show.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jul 21 2008, 01:37 AM.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Sex with clothes on,SNOOZE,NOTHING HOT about that,hehehe,the ONLY person John is HOT or smokin HOT with is his WIFE.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Jul 21 2008, 10:19 AM
Sex with clothes on,SNOOZE,NOTHING HOT about that,hehehe,the ONLY person John is HOT or smokin HOT with is his WIFE.
Amen sista! Dee and Drake invented chemistry back in 1986.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

JohnandMarlenaFreak
John and Marlena had clothes on when they fucked in the Titan conference room. Oh I forgot, you just said that because you dont like John and Ava together.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jul 21 2008, 12:35 PM
JohnandMarlenaFreak
John and Marlena had clothes on when they fucked in the Titan conference room. Oh I forgot, you just said that because you dont like John and Ava together.
True that. However, that is just one of the many, many love scenes that J&M have had. And Dee and Drake pull off hot with clothes. That's why that was on prime time TV, baby :D
Edited by Hergie23, Jul 21 2008, 01:40 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply