Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
‘One Life To Live’ Going Primetime?; Network Officials Discuss Spin off
Topic Started: Jul 18 2008, 03:57 AM (1,237 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6579426.html

TV Critics Tour: ‘One Life To Live’ Going Primetime?
Network Officials Discuss Spinning Off 40-Year-Old Soap

By Linda Haugsted -- Multichannel News, 7/17/2008 12:51:00 PM

Beverly Hills, Calif.—There’s a possibility that ABC's 40-year-old soap opera, One Life to Live, could be spun off into a primetime version on ABC's sister station, SoapNet.

In response to questions from TV critics, Brian Frons, president, daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group, said he's had discussions with the writers for a spin-off of the soap but added the parties had not been able as yet to agree on a concept for a primetime series.

SoapNet currently carries General Hospital: Night Shift, an original series based on that daytime soap.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Rick
Jul 18 2008, 03:57 AM

Beverly Hills, Calif.—There’s a possibility that ABC's 40-year-old soap opera, One Life to Live, could be spun off into a primetime version on ABC's sister station, SoapNet.

In response to questions from TV critics, Brian Frons, president, daytime, Disney-ABC Television Group, said he's had discussions with the writers for a spin-off of the soap but added the parties had not been able as yet to agree on a concept for a primetime series.

SoapNet currently carries General Hospital: Night Shift, an original series based on that daytime soap.
Frons should just air it on ABC. I'm sure it will do good on ABC.

Thanks 4 posting.
Edited by Rakesh198, Jul 18 2008, 07:15 AM.

Jonatha

Rakesh198
Jul 18 2008, 07:14 AM
Rick
Jul 18 2008, 03:57 AM

Frons should just air it on ABC. I'm sure it will do good on ABC.

Thanks 4 posting.
Wow, well Frons mentioned this last year. I hope it happens. :cheer:

Scott
Member Avatar

I think its good for ABC daytime to venture out into Primetime, I mean NS did well last year and seems to be shaping up this year so maybe it would be good for OLTL, if they have the right focus. I think a spin off about BE/CE would be great!

Kenny
Member Avatar

But what would the spinoff be about? I understand GH's spinoff, because it actually has a central location in which the show is based... the hospital. What about OLTL, though? Llanfair? LoL

Mason
Member Avatar

I was just thinking the other day that a spin-off centering on the Bonjour Cafe would be pretty cool, LoL.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Personally, I've always thought SoapNet was missing a goldmine in regards to limited run spin-offs and mini-series. IMO, they would be great vehicles to play "catch up" with historic aspects of each show (like focusing on characters with long ties to each series who haven't been on-screen in quite a while) and could be a way to show what some characters have been doing since they've been gone from their respective shows. For example, an AMC min-series spin-off could focus on Tara and where she's been. Maybe even on Linc & Kelly where we learn that they've had (adopted?) children who are now grown leading to a new generation of Tylers. If the adopted grown kids prove popular, they might gradually be worked into AMC proper. A mini-series might even be a nice way to touch base with a long-cancelled series. Maybe a 12 episode "Return to Another World" produced in conjunction with P&G/Telenext that brings us up to date on the residents in Bay City 10 years after the last episode. Perhaps a 12 episode "Edge of Night" mini-series focusing on new characters with ties to vintage characters (like the now grown son of Adam & Nicole along with the adult children of Sky & Raven) where the entire 12 episodes are devoted to one big murder mystery and done almost in a procedural style. There are so many options to go with this.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Matt love those ideas for spinoffs. That would be very interesting even in limited run.

A Bonjour Cafe hmm...I'd like a BE England one...with Kevin, Joey, Cord, and CJ.

King
Member Avatar

It wouldn't work on ABC, but on Soapnet, it'd be cool!

Scott
Member Avatar

I still hold that a spinoff focusing on BE/CE, whatever its called right now, would be awesome. I mean it would focus on the Buchanans and Cramers, which would be amazing, the only thing would be trying to get all those actors to agree to pull double duty.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well I would be more excited about this if I didn't know it would mean yet another night of DOOL repeats during the week I will miss out on.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

They can do a spinoff of Star and all her musical friends...JK!!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Jul 18 2008, 06:31 PM
They can do a spinoff of Star and all her musical friends...JK!!!
Oh, God, I actually could see them doing a spin-off centering on the teens.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

How does Night Shift do? I don't watch that or GH, so I was wondering if it helped, hurt, or didn't affect the mother ship any.

King
Member Avatar

It set records for SoapNet.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

you know i might just check out Night Shift next week, just for Antonio Sabato Jr who i loved as Jagger back in the day...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

A high school spin off or a musical one would also be possible since supposedly the Prom Night songs sold well on iTunes.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Not a bad idea. I would rather they give time to spinoffs of Daytime soaps then to MVP and more Sunday Night Movies.

It all depends what they focus on though. I heard rumors it may revolve around John McBain. That would suck so I hope they don't go that route. This has potential but it needs to be on Soapnet. It wouldn't work on ABC IMO.

Tammy
Member Avatar

King
Jul 18 2008, 08:20 PM
It set records for SoapNet.
I believe it set records, I just dont know how lmao. From what I heard that shows first season was batshit crazy and made no sense. I think this season might be better though considering that it will be in-line with GH.

I think this idea for a OLTL spin off sounds cool... I for one would LOVE it if Nathan Fillion came back to play Joey... I such a crush on him lol. It is things like this that piss me off because I dont have soapnet anymore lmao... and I refuse to pay extra for it :P

naley12
Member Avatar

I would love the show to have the show revolve around gigi and rex and since GH basically revolves around patrick and robin

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply