Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Great Larry Haines Has Died
Topic Started: Jul 21 2008, 08:15 AM (714 Views)
Steve Frame
Member Avatar

http://www.legacy.com/PalmBeachPost/DeathN...sonId=113690706

Larry Haines of Delray Beach, Florida and a former resident of New York passed away on July 17, 2008. Larry was a renowned television and stage actor whose career was marked by versatility and accomplishment. He was predeceased by his former wives, Gertrude Haines and Jean Pearlman Haines as well as by his only daughter, Debora Haines.

Larry's Broadway appearances include TRIBUTE with Jack Lemmon, TWIGS with Sada Thompson, NO HARD FEELINGS with Eddie Albert and the lead role of Barney Cashman in LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS. Prior to that he played Dr. Dreyfus in PROMISES, PROMISES for which he was nominated for a Tony Award and he lists among his other Broadway credits the role of the theatrical agent in A THOUSAND CLOWNS with Jason Robards and that of the doctor in GENERATION, a performance which also won him a Tony Award nomination.

His other theater credits are Neil Simon's GOD'S FAVORITE in which he co-starred with Godfrey Cambridge at the Coconut Grove Playhouse in Florida and PARIS IS OUT in which he co-starred with Molly Picon at the Philadelphia Playhouse in the Park. He appeared as one of the card players in the record-breaking movie version of THE ODD COUPLE with Jack Lemmon. Other films include THE SEVEN-UPS and THE SWIMMER with Burt Lancaster.

Mr. Haines has been heard on over 15,000 radio shows including INNER SANCTUM and GANGBUSTERS, and for 35 years he played the part of Stu Bergman on the popular TV soap opera SEARCH FOR TOMORROW for which he won two Emmys as best actor on a Daytime Series. He made guest appearances on MAUDE, KOJAK, ON OUR OWN, DOC, HALLMARK and co-starred in the series PHYL AND MIKKY and he appeared in BABY ON BOARD. He also received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy in 1983.

Larry is survived by his niece, Kathy Hecht. He will be greatly missed by his friends and admirers. Chapel services are scheduled for Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 12:00 pm Rubin Memorial Chapel, 7340 Boynton Beach Blvd. - Boynton Beach, FL 33437 (561) 853-3000, with burial to follow at Mt. Nebo Kendall Cemetery in South Miami. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Screen Actors Guild, Hollywood Headquarters, 5757 Wilshire Blvd. 7th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90036-3600. To express condolences and/or make donations Visit PalmBeachPost.com/obituaries
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

R.I.P.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Damn it. One of the greats from soap opera history gone. Any scene I have ever seen him in I lighted up. He reminded me of my grandfather in many respects. I hate this news, it sucks he's gone. Major condolences go out to his family.
Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7kbLbFxMA

Search for Tomorrow: last scene

Audio is kinda bad

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Another great loss for the genre. Stu & Jo *were* SFT for 35 years. Larry had such an understated talent and presence on-screen that he could easily be overlooked as one of the great actors of the genre. He simply made it all look so effortless. I'd like to think that Larry & Mary are together again in the clouds. RIP

~bl~
Member Avatar

Thanks for sharing this sad news. I was thrilled to be able to see his short stint on AW in SoapNet reruns as when I saw it the first time around I didn't put the SFT connection together.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

I'm so sad to hear this. Larry Haines truly acted from the heart and was one of a kind. Condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Mason

First Beverlee McKinsey, now Larry Haines. :frown:

RIP

Gregorzick

Rest In Peace, Mr. Haines. You deservedly made fools of hack critics who didn't think that soap actors could act!!! Bravo To You, Mr. Haines!!! You will be missed.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply