Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nelson Ratings TVGC; GL hit-miss/ATWT & Y&R raves/OLTL Rant
Topic Started: Jul 21 2008, 02:31 PM (784 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

OLTL was EXCELLENT today, but this review is based on the past few weeks of the ABC sudser.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/The+Nelson+Ratings+July+21+2008/Soaps/Nelson_Ratings/Articles/080721_ratings_nelson.htm?isfa=1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nelson, you missed something in your rant. Remembering Meredith, Viki's sister.
Quote Post Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

Well I agreed about the Mel/Remy scene on GL. That was good, and I have no idea where they came up with that one. I never bought Rick and Mel having some great love.

OLTL wasn't just the stories they are using, but so much more..wish they would have touched upon things from time frames outside of the 80s with their re-creations.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

It seems for years OLTL history only goes back to the Buchanans - in much the same way the GL history only goes back to the Lewis & Coopers for the most part.

On OLTL only the Lords that seem to get involved with the Buchanans are really part of things. Even the Cramer's history seems more important than the Lords. I would love to hear from the Rileys and the Woleks esp. who were a big part of OLTL history long before the Buchanans. I always hated that they allowed Kevin & Joey to become Buchanans and wiped out the Riley name totally from the slate. That was a sad nod to OLTL history.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

^I agree, Steve. One think I hate about Ron Carlivati, he seems to have such a hard-on for 80's/Paul Rauch era OLTL.

I would love to see more references to 70's OLTL.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Jul 21 2008, 06:47 PM.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Great points!

Jonatha

Steve Frame
Jul 21 2008, 06:30 PM
It seems for years OLTL history only goes back to the Buchanans - in much the same way the GL history only goes back to the Lewis & Coopers for the most part.

On OLTL only the Lords that seem to get involved with the Buchanans are really part of things. Even the Cramer's history seems more important than the Lords. I would love to hear from the Rileys and the Woleks esp. who were a big part of OLTL history long before the Buchanans. I always hated that they allowed Kevin & Joey to become Buchanans and wiped out the Riley name totally from the slate. That was a sad nod to OLTL history.
Steve... :hail:

Mason
Member Avatar

It's not just OLTL that does it, though. It's pretty much all soaps that act like they don't have any history prior to the 1980s. Not saying it's right, but OLTL is by no means alone in this.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I think GL and OLTL are the two biggest culprits.

AMC has forgotten the Tylers but the Martins and the Kanes who were a big part of the 70's are still there.

Y&R forgot their 70's except for Kay a long time ago, but I understood the reasoning to a degree when they had such a hard time holding on to the performers who played those key roles. There were just too many recasts to keep those characters around.

Days seems to think in a big way that Days history begins when the Brady's & DiMera's came along but at least they keep the Horton's around in numbers.

With GL and OLTL they have completely wiped out all of the key families before the 80's. The Bauers are only represented by Rick. On OLTL Vicki and Todd are the only ties to the Lords - even though their children are Lords too they deal more with their Buchanan history - and who were the first Buchanans to go - Kevin & Joey who weren't real Buchanans.

I agree with what you are saying Mason but I still think OLTL and GL edge out the others.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think ONE LIFE is still the best soap on. I agree that the Lords should've been featured more prominently. I also wish that some old faves the Woleks, Halls, & other old faves would've been brought back for a short 1 or 2 episode visit.
Quote Post Goto Top

Gregorzick

TPTB need to bring either the Great Lee Warrick or the Great Leonie Norton back to reprise the role of Julie Siegel Toland. Julie was Viki's niece plus Kevin and Joey's cousin via her marriage to Joe Riley and was Dorian's first rival in the Mark Toland triangle. The Julie character has a ton of untapped potential that OLTL could use to this very day!!! When Carlivati taps into that part of OLTL's history, then I just might take him seriously as a major soap writer. Otherwise, forget it!!!

Mason
Member Avatar

Say what you will about Carlivati, but at least he tries giving fans (mostly) what they want instead of just doing his own damn thing. How many other head writers currently in daytime can we say that about?

speedbump210

Quote:

Why is Emmy winner Thom Christopher (Carlo) overacting? This isnt Passions, brother! Tone. It. Down!

Apparently Nelson forgets Christopher's horrid performance as Col. Dax on GL. Blech!

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Nope, I remember (I covered the show in NY during San Cristobel). I didn't mind him as Dax actually.

Jonatha

Gregorzick
Jul 21 2008, 10:17 PM
TPTB need to bring either the Great Lee Warrick or the Great Leonie Norton back to reprise the role of Julie Siegel Toland. Julie was Viki's niece plus Kevin and Joey's cousin via her marriage to Joe Riley and was Dorian's first rival in the Mark Toland triangle. The Julie character has a ton of untapped potential that OLTL could use to this very day!!! When Carlivati taps into that part of OLTL's history, then I just might take him seriously as a major soap writer. Otherwise, forget it!!!
Greg, I also loved the Julie Siegel storyline, along with many others that did take place before the Buchanans took over OL. I can't believe how many older and ground breaking storylines have not been addressed in the 40th anniversary shows.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply