Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week of July 21
Topic Started: Jul 21 2008, 05:30 PM (3,540 Views)
e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 21 2008, 10:45 PM
Alligato
Jul 21 2008, 10:29 PM
I know that everyone loved Steve/Kayla's talk, but I kind of rolled my eyes at the end. Steve pours his heart out, gives all the explanations necessary, professes his love for her - excellent job by Stephen - and Kayla responds with "I thought we had something special". I just wanted to yell "didn't you hear a thing he said?". However, I understand that Kayla is an emotional wreck right now with the baby so I will let it slide.
The way I understood it, that was kinda the whole point. What Steve did was too much to just brush away with a conversation. Their talk helped, and it was a step in the right direction, but Kayla's really still hurting and will need time to heal.
I watched their scenes on Prevuze and liked that it was dealt with. I am very happy that their fans got the results they lobbied for.

I understand Kayla is hurt but I wanted her to be angrier than hurt. She has had this stewing inside of her for a while and then this twit Ava comes and moves in next door like nothing happened. Steve is just like, "Baby she has nothing to do with us" and she just sort of cries while telling him how hurt she is. I just expected more fiestiness considering it has been on her mind for a while.

I used to love Patch and Kayla and I just don't like the way she has been written since they returned. Its like she is so fragile she can't deal with anything, but we are supposed to believe that she raised Stephanie and went through Law School. I still like Kayla I am just not a "fan" anymore I guess.

Still happy for their fans though.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

If the fallout discussion had occurred right after the end of the ViMansion part of the storyline, I'd agree that more anger would have been appropriate. But, because it is 3 months later, I think a sudden burst of pure anger would have felt off. It makes more sense to me that Kayla's initial anger would have subsided during the course of all of the Joe stuff, but her hurt is still there.

That said, I thought Kayla did show a fair amount of anger. If you only saw the scenes posted on Prevuze, you didn't see the anger she showed towards Ava and Sami when she found out that Sami was showing her apartment to Ava. But, even within the conversation with Steve, I thought her anger came through at the beginning and again when she asked him why he couldn't have told her the truth about Ava from the beginning. Overall, I thought the anger and the hurt were pretty well balanced and very in-character.

I do agree that Kayla's been written far too weak since their return and I really, really hate that. But, the writing has failed pretty much every character repeatedly.

Ellie

Drakelicious
Jul 22 2008, 04:37 AM
I LOVED rooftop loving between Jawn and Ava, OMG, Drake and Tamara were SMOKING in those scenes! I thought the love scene was very well done and very tasteful...kudos to both actors.
What love scene? They just kissed, right? (When I watched, that's all I saw...)

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Ellie
Jul 22 2008, 12:07 PM
Drakelicious
Jul 22 2008, 04:37 AM
I LOVED rooftop loving between Jawn and Ava, OMG, Drake and Tamara were SMOKING in those scenes! I thought the love scene was very well done and very tasteful...kudos to both actors.
What love scene? They just kissed, right? (When I watched, that's all I saw...)
Yea I have to admit...was that a love scene?

Ellie

esp13
Jul 21 2008, 11:11 PM
I think you are exactly right, Ellie. It's very helpful (and was very necessary) for Steve to explain what he was really thinking when all of that was happening, but Kayla understanding logically what he is saying is different from Kayla understanding it and accepting it emotionally. It's different than getting that picture out of her head. It's different than looking at their son and thinking of everything that happened to them over the last few months. I like that it wasn't all just fixed at the end. I'm not expecting any more direct conversations about it, but I imagine SN and MBE will continue to play it subtextually as much as possible.

And I still find it sad and ridiculous that it took the actors and fans lobbying for this fallout for it to finally be included.
Agree with everything you're saying... and isn't it sad that the actors have to take matters into their own hands with these writers? I've been posting about Drake and Deidre doing the same thing. I think they're playing the J&M angle even though it's not being written in. Thankfully we have these actors who are able to carry the show despite the horrendous writing.

Ellie

cjknick
Jul 22 2008, 09:04 AM
Monday was just a so so show for me...SN and MBE did a masterful job but even that could not save this epi. It did seem kinda of weird that Kayla was so scared about Joe - I mean as a mother she should be concerned - but she is also a doctor so she should have a certain degree of security since she is medically trained.
I noticed that too, but actually that came off as very "real" to me. I have a friend who's in the medical field who was a complete nervous wreck when her (healthy) baby came home from the hospital. I wouldn't have expected Kayla to be calm under the circumstances, even if she is a doctor.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I felt the same way as most of you about yesterday's show. Pretty dull. Steve and Kayla's talk was pretty good but still lacking. Hopefully it will not be the only time they talk about it. I wish the writers could "get" Kayla. She isn't that weak and dull. They should also remember that she is a doctor. I liked how she was written when Bo was sick, but after that, not so much. Sami isn't being written much better either. Higley use to get her, but not any more. It's true that Sami has never really blamed herself for any of her troubles and she isn't again, but Lucas is really to blame for going back to prison. Tired of Marlena and Roman in scenes together.

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 22 2008, 12:12 PM
cjknick
Monday was just a so so show for me...SN and MBE did a masterful job but even that could not save this epi. It did seem kinda of weird that Kayla was so scared about Joe - I mean as a mother she should be concerned - but she is also a doctor so she should have a certain degree of security since she is medically trained.
I noticed that too, but actually that came off as very "real" to me. I have a friend who's in the medical field who was a complete nervous wreck when her (healthy) baby came home from the hospital. I wouldn't have expected Kayla to be calm under the circumstances, even if she is a doctor.
Somebody made the point on another board that Kayla's fear makes sense because, as a doctor, she knows all too well the worst case scenarios. It's harder for a medical professional to stay focused on only the positive and maintain some kind of sense of denial about all the things that could go wrong. Plus, I think that in this situation, she's a mother first and all the medical training in the world isn't going to overcome that basic fear.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

esp13
Jul 22 2008, 02:46 PM
Ellie
Jul 22 2008, 12:12 PM
cjknick
Somebody made the point on another board that Kayla's fear makes sense because, as a doctor, she knows all too well the worst case scenarios. It's harder for a medical professional to stay focused on only the positive and maintain some kind of sense of denial about all the things that could go wrong. Plus, I think that in this situation, she's a mother first and all the medical training in the world isn't going to overcome that basic fear.
Good point esp13.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I thought today's show was a little dull too, but for some reason, Shawn Christian was HOT! I just noticed him today!

And that annoys me because they are wasting his total gorgeousness on baby Chelsea...who just sits there and oogles him and says "totally cool" and acts like this teenager. Ugh! If they would just make her a little more mature I could buy it, but when she smiles and tilts her head and talks to him, she looks like a little kid.
Now, Daniel and Kate spark! The way he looks at her, and Kate is such a vixen...they just look good together.

Phillip and Morgan...take 12,958! Can they say the exact same thing over again??!?! Sigh!
In the Bo/Daniel scene....I just stared at Daniel. Yummy.

Caroline looked great. Her hair was pretty. Kate had on a beautiful, sparkly top.
That was pretty much all I got out of the show!

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Well Alligato, I have to disagree with you as while you were staring at Daniel in the Bo/Daniel scene, I kept hoping Bo would take out his gun and shoot Dan. However, it's amazing how more interesting I find Daniel opposite Kate. I watched the Chan junk through gritted teeth today (Chelsea talking of her infertility, Daniel lecturing to her about her granddad, and how she quickly skated over calling him her boyfriend) but IMO what little Dan/Kate said in their short scenes was far more entertaining then the earlier Daniel scenes with Chelsea.

I'm not getting the point of the Stax scene. Yes, Stephanie has overcome her rape. She should have used the mace on the guy instead of threatening too.

I wish they could figure out what to do with Morgan. Why have her go to Philip? Why not let her go see Chelsea or maybe have her try to move on with her life...let her look for a job and run into Philip and then she gets the phone call.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jul 22 2008, 03:14 PM
I thought today's show was a little dull too, but for some reason, Shawn Christian was HOT! I just noticed him today!

And that annoys me because they are wasting his total gorgeousness on baby Chelsea...who just sits there and oogles him and says "totally cool" and acts like this teenager. Ugh! If they would just make her a little more mature I could buy it, but when she smiles and tilts her head and talks to him, she looks like a little kid.
Now, Daniel and Kate spark! The way he looks at her, and Kate is such a vixen...they just look good together.

Phillip and Morgan...take 12,958! Can they say the exact same thing over again??!?! Sigh!
In the Bo/Daniel scene....I just stared at Daniel. Yummy.

Caroline looked great. Her hair was pretty. Kate had on a beautiful, sparkly top.
That was pretty much all I got out of the show!
Oh, goody, so much to look forward to today. Not.
Edited by ArizonaDaze, Jul 22 2008, 03:48 PM.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

The doc better be sincere to Chelsea! Its more than obvious that her feelings for him are real, and the way he was looking at her today, and letting her flirt with him that way, of course she would assume he feels the same way.

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

I agree that in the oittle time Kate and Dan had together,they looked more like a genuine couple than Dan and Chelsea.DO bad SC is wasted in this ridiculous Chelsea shit.They could have built a great couple in Date instead of rushing a relationship that was a fling

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Today wasn't as interesting as I thought but it still wasn't too bad.

Stax was bad but I did like Stephanie recalling her rape when the guy was in the room. Made sense and I like how she defended herself. Shows how strong she has become.

It's such a delight seeing Caroline on so much. Loved her scenes at Bope's house and I did like Daniel getting on Bo about his health and Victor's and the tension between Daniel and Bo and Caroline chastising him was pretty fun. Chelsea was annoying as hell. I did like her little moment with Ciara. The Daniel/Kate scenes on the roof rocked. Loads of chemistry. You can tell they have a connection.

Kate/Philip was good too. I like that Kate has been brought into the story and that she is involved with someone other then Lucas. She seems to approve of Philip and Morgan together so that has to be a first LOL. Liked the end cliffhanger with Paul's jacket being found and word spreading of a break in the case. Good buildup.

Abe/Lexie was nice too but the story still sucks. It all feels like it's being taken off the internet word for word. I did like them mentioning how they can't afford therapy and the way you can tell there is tension in their relationship. It's sad but the relationship tension is the best part of the story.

All in all, not too bad but it's been a slow start to the week but things should pick up the rest of the week. It seems like this will be the opposite of last week, which started well and ended slow.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I can't justify Steph not being mad at Max. Tell me if I have the facts wrong, but didn't they make love (or appear to have) prior to the incident? that means that Max left a naked Stephanie in bed, with the door unlocked. Leaving a naked woman -- a RAPE survivor, at that -- at serious risk. She should've let Max have it. And by 'it,' I don't mean her vagina!
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jul 22 2008, 11:54 PM
Abe/Lexie was nice too but the story still sucks. It all feels like it's being taken off the internet word for word. I did like them mentioning how they can't afford therapy and the way you can tell there is tension in their relationship. It's sad but the relationship tension is the best part of the story.
I haven't watched today's show yet, but "Arcadia" on SC made the excellent point that with the salaries of a police commissioner and a hospital chief of staff, money for therapy should not be an issue. That imo represents one of the major problems with the autism story. Higley is ignoring Abe and Lexie as characters in favor of simply retelling what happened to her husband and her. Abe and Lexie both have character traits and histories which could be used to make this a more layered and better-developed story. Instead, as you say Phoenix, it comes across as a textbook case study rather than a dramatic story happening to real people.

Jonatha

Ellie
Jul 23 2008, 02:03 PM
PhoenixRising05
I haven't watched today's show yet, but "Arcadia" on SC made the excellent point that with the salaries of a police commissioner and a hospital chief of staff, money for therapy should not be an issue. That imo represents one of the major problems with the autism story. Higley is ignoring Abe and Lexie as characters in favor of simply retelling what happened to her husband and her. Abe and Lexie both have character traits and histories which could be used to make this a more layered and better-developed story. Instead, as you say Phoenix, it comes across as a textbook case study rather than a dramatic story happening to real people.
I haven't watched today's episode either, but I agree with you, Ellie. They should be able to pay for Theo's therapy. If not, they certainly can look for information about helping families out with this kind of thing. I'm sure there are agencies out there like Autism Speaks, who provide help and information for families that are in need. Higley seems to be telling this story from a different time, like what she went through. There have been so many advancies and help for the children and families since that time.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I hate that they have removed the pub couches at the Brady Pub. Well they have some in the back of the room but they used to have some in front close to the camers where the characters usually sit.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 23 2008, 02:03 PM
PhoenixRising05
I was about to state this, pretty much word for word. Abe and Lexie are very successful people. They should have no problems giving Theo the treatment he needs, financially. After all, they're working so much not to be spending time together, aren't they? Or are we supposed to forget about the beginning of the storyline because now it's no longer relevant?

Higley and her team are writing this storyline and not even considering who they're writing for. If you took Abe, Lexie and Theo out of this storyline, and you put Bo, Hope and Ciara, it would be the same thing. No differences, character wise. But that's what happens when you have a writer that doesn't give a damn about character-driven writing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply