Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Casting calls for July-August; *updated 8/21**
Topic Started: Jul 23 2008, 07:33 PM (4,458 Views)
daisysmommy

I know more than I wish I did about autism. And I can't imagine their point.

Except to depress us all. Most people involved in the commy are depressed by the outcomes-- and this will not be tolerated on soaps.

Gimme more Marlena, Steffie et al. The autism stuff should be saved for Today.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

daisysmommy
Aug 5 2008, 06:25 PM
I know more than I wish I did about autism. And I can't imagine their point.

Except to depress us all. Most people involved in the commy are depressed by the outcomes-- and this will not be tolerated on soaps.

Gimme more Marlena, Steffie et al. The autism stuff should be saved for Today.

Why? Soaps tackle issues like this all the time. In the hands of a competent writer, it can be an intriguing storyline. it's certainly been done in movies and TV shows. It can be sad, but touching. It doesn't have to be depressing.

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm not opposed to soaps doing storylines like autism and such. But if you're gonna do it, do it right (and if there's any confusion, I definitely do not see DAYS doing this right, LoL)

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

The problem is...soap operas can be a good soap box for telling controversial stories but soap operas have a specific formula in presenting those stories. You must see the "drama" of it play out on screen for viewers to get invested. I think the show, in choosing a couple we rarely see, was it's first mistake. The other is choosing autism in the first place...it's just not something that can play out properly on screen. Why? Because we must see the CHILD dysfunctional behavior and soaps write kids horribly to begin with. Trying to add a story where the child misbehaves and causes problems for himself and his family will fail if you never show the child's bad behavior. This kid playing Theo is really cute but having him walk in and out of scenes and then we are told what he's doing off screen just isn't going to get us craving to hear more. YMMV

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The issue is it's just bad timing. Days has too many stories going and summer time is just not the type of time. Your trying to attract young viewers and viewers who are home. That sort of story won't do it. I recall when Days did the fetal alcohol syndrome story with JT and it began in the summer. They barely did anything with it but it wasn't promoted heavily. They promoted this so heavily that one would expect this to be on a few times a week. We're lucky to see it every two weeks. I still think it was forced on Higley or even on Days in general. It just reeks of it. It feels like Higley and those behind the scenes have no interest in it at all.

It also sticks out like a sore thumb. You have these big stories like Stax in France, J&M and Stefano and everyone involved there, B&H and the Victor/Philip/Paul/John/etc stuff...it just feels out of place. This story would've worked around April or so but now it just feels like nothing more then filler. There isn't enough focus and there is just too much going on to provide that focus. They should just do what they can, acknowledge it from time to time, and move on. Involve Lexie more in the Stefano plot and have that challenge her marriage in some way. That would fit much better right now.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I agree with Tripp, to really get involved with this story, we need to see Theo more the struggle this is causing the couple. It was one day Lexie talks about things being odd with Theo and the next day we find out he as autism. Many of us were not pulled into how Theo's condition was affecting the Carvers. They didn't try and make us feel bad for the Carvers, we are just told that we should feel sorry for them because their child has this condition.

As an educator there have been times where I have worked with kids with autism. There are different types, extremes and how children behave with it. It had the makings of a very good story, but writing team didn't take the energy to draw us into the struggles where we would feel for the characters. I look at Night Shift in what they are doing with Jagger's son. Now I know it is really early in the story, but there is something wrong with Jagger's son. We are seeing on screen how he reacts in a different way when Robin touch one of his stones. We saw how he reacted to not being able to go to the zoo. As viewers we are brought in to how he is not acting like a typical child. We are also seeing how Jagger just wipes it off that he is a sensitive kid where Robin sees it in the "medical" sense. Still isn't the greatest, but they are putting in the effort to try and make us feel for the characters.

Parents don't always want to admit that there is something wrong with their child because they don't want to feel they did something wrong. They could have really told a great story about Lexie being a doctor and something is right with her child. We could see Lexie trying to look at it in the doctor mode where she can see a boy not developing at the normal rate and then as the parent trying to protect her child from everything. Right now with this story, as well as most stories on Days, Theo having autism is just a plot point that is brought out here and there. I just don't feel like we are ever seeing how this really affects them. No one is going to grow and change from dealing with this.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

To be quite honest, I have no interest in the autism storyline at all. It's boring, and the characters involved are also boring, plain and simple.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Aug 5 2008, 06:52 PM
I'm not opposed to soaps doing storylines like autism and such. But if you're gonna do it, do it right (and if there's any confusion, I definitely do not see DAYS doing this right, LoL)
This is probably true. But, one would think Dena Higley would do this right and even want to watch the results! But, now it sounds like she didn't want to do it. Oh, hell. I can't believe that woman. Maybe she knows it flopped, and she can say it was forced on her. That woman spins webs no man.....(whoops, that's from Music Man!!)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

DolceDiMera
Aug 6 2008, 07:01 AM
To be quite honest, I have no interest in the autism storyline at all. It's boring, and the characters involved are also boring, plain and simple.
That's too bad it ended up that way, because the cause is DEFINITELY not boring. In essence, they did wrong by the whole austism awareness. And,it seems they're taking the easy way out and giving in to stereotypes. There is SO much more than can be told.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

I don't think Abe & Lexie are boring characters. It's the writing for these characters. Both Langan (At the end) and B&C were able to make Abe and more so Lexie very interesting.

Mason
Member Avatar

^ I agree. Abe and Lexie aren't the problem. The problem is the writers that are too lazy to try and think of fresh things to do with them.
Edited by Mason, Aug 6 2008, 09:53 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

darraholic
Aug 6 2008, 09:49 AM
I don't think Abe & Lexie are boring characters. It's the writing for these characters. Both Langan (At the end) and B&C were able to make Abe and more so Lexie very interesting.
Agreed.

I do like what I'm seeing right now though. Lexie is at least involved with the Dimera stuff so, hopefully, that continues.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

As much as I dislike Dena she's been an okay writer for Abe & Lexie. Much better then SSM, JER & Hogan for Abe & Lexie.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Yeah. She at least uses them both, individually and together. Langan and B&C are the only other writers that have done that.

Jonatha

"Marc" audition scene:

Page 1

Fade in:
(A) Java Cafe

(Start on Nicole, at her laptop, sipping a latte. A cute guy (Marc) hurries by, trips over Nicole's outstretched foot. His coffee goes flying)

Nicole: Damnit.

Marc; I'm so sorry. Did I spill my coffee on you?

Nicole: Worse. My computer. Your two dollar coffee cost me a two-thousand dollar laptop.

Marc: (stammers) Ah...

Nicole: And my presentation's ruined, too. I've been working on it for weeks.

Page 2

Marc: (re: the laptop) Maybe I can do something... I'm pretty decent with computers, and --

Nicole: No, don't touch it.

Marc: Okay

(coming at her with a napkin)

You've got some coffee on your --

Nicole: (snaps) Don't touch me!

Marc: I'm not usually such a klutz. I didn't see your foot there.

Nicole: Obviously.

Marc. Look. I feel terrible. At least let me try --

(Before she can stop him, he commandeers her computer)

You're playing solitaire.

Page 3

Nicole: (quick comeback) Mental health break.

Marc: (outraged) And there's nothing wrong with your laptop.

Nicole: (wry) You must have the magic touch.

Marc: (studies her) I know you. You're Nicole Walker. And here I was feeling bad about tripping over you!

Nicole: (taken aback) What's that supposed to mean?

Marc: I was ready to hand over two months' rent to pay for the damage.

(gestures toward the computer)

And you probably would've let me!

Nicole: Do I know you?

Page 4

Marc: Your brother, Brandon, was a good friend of mine. Maybe this coffee thing was just a little karmic payback.

Nicole: I'll be sure to tell Brandon you said that.

Marc: And to think I always wanted to meet you.

Nicole: Why?

Marc: That's what I'm asking myself now. Why? I saw your picture once.... thought you were kinda attractive. Interesting, maybe. But then again, I'm always drawn to the wrong kind of girl.

Nicole: Yeah, well, I'm taken.

Marc: Knowing your history, not for long.

Page 5

Nicole: You're not a very nice person. What did my brother see in you?

Marc: Maybe the same thing he sees in you. So I guess I'm on your list now?

Nicole: What list would that be?

Marc: Men you hate. Men you love to hate. I hear you keep a lot of lists.

Nicole: Yeah, well, don't worry. You don't happen to be on any of them.

Marc: Well, good for bot of us, I guess. All right. Nice finally meet you. Not.

Nicole: Apology not accepted, by the way. Oh and uh... I didn't catch you name.

Page 6

Marc: Marc

Nicole: Marc. You might want to change your shirt. You spilled something on it. Little karmic payback, I guess.

Marc: Oh. Thanks.

(He whips off his shirt. A beat as Nicole can't help admiring)

Marc: Give Brandon my best.

(Marc walks away. Nicole stares after)

Nicole: (murmurs) Wow.

Marc: (without looking back) Wow, yourself.

(On Marc, a smile crossing his lips)

Fade to: Black

Ellie

Thanks Jonatha!

lol at the risk of having everyone attack me for this - ENOUGH NEW PEOPLE!! This sounds like total Dena to me.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting....

Looks like Nicole is getting a new man ..... interesting!!!
Edited by cjknick, Aug 19 2008, 06:07 PM.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 19 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Jonatha!

lol at the risk of having everyone attack me for this - ENOUGH NEW PEOPLE!! This sounds like total Dena to me.
I'll agree with you Ellie.

Unless "Marc" is going to be a love interest for Nicole, then we really don't need another character thrown on the canvas. Hopefully it turns out to be something more than just a random encounter.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

This sounds more than a random character but it's weird for them to try to bring in a total new love interest for her. I thought she and EJ had loads of chemistry and we could certainly try her out with SC too.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I see this as a way to keep Brandon's name in the show. I bet he is the next to return. He has family ties to Nicole, not to mention Sami, Lexie, etc. Ugh. I don't wish for Brandon to come back.

Sounds like Nicole is in good form. Hope this is just a way to make EJ/Dr. Dan/Phillip/whoever jealous.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply