Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: AR-Ava-Derci; Hogestyn on Braun's leaving
Topic Started: Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM (3,411 Views)
Jonatha

Source: SOW

Just as his storyline with Ava was heating up, Drake Hogestyn heard Tamara Braun was leaving the show.

"I was blind-sided," reveals Hogestyn. "I never, ever talk contracts or situations with actors."

He learned the news when someone behind the scenes mentioned that it was Braun's last day. "I was like, 'What are you talking about? No way! You're kidding me!'" Needless to say, Hogestyn is sad to be losing Braun.

"As far as our characters go, right up until the last minute we were working on our interpretation of what we wanted out of scenes. We were fighting for what we thought was right, as actor's do," he says. "There was momentum building. People around us would comment on it. Was it an unusual pairing? Absolutely. John's a little off-center, and Ava's very free. But the bottom line is, Ava was the only person who never compared him to the 'old John.' He embraced that and felt more comfortable around Ava than anybody else. She brought out a side of John the audience needed to see."

As for the professional side of Braun, "She's a fantastic actress and is going to be missed," he praises. "I've always had fun over the years with working with a new actress. It's a chance to explore and create. I'm all about embracing story and taking chances."

He acknowledges that not all Days' fans embraced the pairing.

"A lot of people are into the security of what a group of fans think. Just be a super-couple and that's it," muses Hogestyn. "But you have to have conflict. If you don't have conflict, and you don't bring something to the table every day that is interesting and provocative, the audience will turn the other way."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM
"A lot of people are into the security of what a group of fans think. Just be a super-couple and that's it," muses Hogestyn. "But you have to have conflict. If you don't have conflict, and you don't bring something to the table every day that is interesting and provocative, the audience will turn the other way."

So true, that's exactly the kind of double standard many supercouple-fans have.
Edited by Sindacco, Jul 24 2008, 08:09 AM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM

Group-think? Ouch!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Wow. I don't necessarily disagree with Hogestyn, but if I were a diehard J&M fan, I'd be feeling slapped in the face right about now, LoL.

It should also be clarified that there's a difference between an interesting obstacle and a boring piece of shit obstacle that nobody finds interesting. I feel like John/Ava were headed to an interesting place and I'm really sad Tamara left.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:16 AM
Wow. I don't necessarily disagree with Hogestyn, but if I were a diehard J&M fan, I'd be feeling slapped in the face right about now, LoL.
Some of them deserve it IMO.

FanODays

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:16 AM

It should also be clarified that there's a difference between an interesting obstacle and a boring piece of shit obstacle that nobody finds interesting. I feel like John/Ava were headed to an interesting place and I'm really sad Tamara left.
It ain't the first time J&M have felt that sting. I dare say all fans have felt it from time to time and its a tricky situation for the actors who often want something new and different which may not be what their core fans want. That is why I think its best that the actors just keep mum about it all and not say certain things to the press.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.

andromeda
Member Avatar

If he hasn't noticed, the audience is turning away lol "interesting".

Jonatha

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:26 AM
I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.
Kenny, I think you are exactly right.

FanODays

Kenny

Yep it does make him sound that way.

On one hand, I can't blame him because when John is part of J&M the character is limited and the outcomes are predictable so I can see an actor wanting something different. I get that. The issue is how this is presented to the fans. Do they owe the fans anything? I think so. Drake has benefited a great deal from the J&M fanbase so at the very least he owes them respect.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Kenny

Which is a little weird seeing as I have heard Drake talk about how much he loves working with Dee more than anyone ese over the years.

I agree to a certain extent,first I will not miss Tamara, not even a little,but I am not stupid I get what he means by needing conflict,but the conflict should NOT be with a chick who can pass as his daughter and John cheating on his wife AGAIN,I know soaps need conflict,but Ava should have been left to Steve and Kayla,thats it,not Jarlena,I get Drake gets some of his info from idiot producers and writers and other idiots who I will not name,I don't know if he knows how bad the ratings are,the truth is 95% of people I have talked to HATE John and Ava and if Higley were more creative she could have come up with something creative for Jarlena,a woman trying to come between them has been done before and gets old REALLY fast,it got old when Kristen was doing it,which thats all Ava is another crazy chick who thinks she'll ahve John when the truth is he will just end up back with his wife,''always has,always will'' to quote something Old John would say.I LOVE Drake and all,but surely he realizes that if the conflict annoys the sh** out of the supercouples fan base,this SL has been annoying me since April than the fanbase will turn away too and a fanbase of a supercouple is 10 times larger than fan of just a single person.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Sure sounds like everyone loved Braun. It also looks like they leave the door wide open for her character's return. Drake's comments since the Jate years have made it seem like he enjoys J&M , but needs a break from time to time. I can understand that. Things get boring when they are always the same. I loved it when John was with Kristen Dimera....good times, yet I always knew J&M were the endgame.

peaches179

Dragonish1
Jul 24 2008, 09:04 AM
Sure sounds like everyone loved Braun. It also looks like they leave the door wide open for her character's return. Drake's comments since the Jate years have made it seem like he enjoys J&M , but needs a break from time to time. I can understand that. Things get boring when they are always the same. I loved it when John was with Kristen Dimera....good times, yet I always knew J&M were the endgame.

IA. Thanks for posting! :D

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Tamara and Drake must have become REALLY good friends off screen if he didn't even know she was leaving and didn't hear it from her.

deefanUBS

Quote:

As far as our characters go, right up until the last minute we were working on our interpretation of what we wanted out of scenes. We were fighting for what we thought was right, as actor's do

Well, it's that nice of you! I wish you'd fight for what is right for the pairing and fanbase that have fought for you for the last 20+ years!

Quote:

There was momentum building. People around us would comment on it.

Oh I am sure they commented Drake, but I doubt they were saying what you wanted to hear!

Quote:

Thank you so much for acknowledging that. I can tell how torn you are about it.

Quote:

"A lot of people are into the security of what a group of fans think. Just be a super-couple and that's it," muses Hogestyn.

And people wonder why I have such dislike for this actor.

Quote:

But you have to have conflict. If you don't have conflict, and you don't bring something to the table every day that is interesting and provocative, the audience will turn the other way.

Hmm, well the audience has turned the other way, so... :shrug:
Edited by deefanUBS, Jul 24 2008, 09:34 AM.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

On one hand I can see since Drake is an actor he wants change,I get that,I have done some acting myself,believe me I get it,but here he pretty much doesn't show any of open minded respect for his fans that are J&M fans and justifies John's unfaithfulness to his wife,John being unfaithful is not just being unfaithful to Marlena,its being unfaithful to fans who have supported them for years,I supported and did all I could to get Drake/John back on DOOL,now I officially regret that.
Edited by JohnandMarlenaFreak, Jul 24 2008, 09:47 AM.

Jonatha

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Jul 24 2008, 09:46 AM
On one hand I can see since Drake is an actor he wants change,I get that,I have done some acting myself,believe me I get it,but here he pretty much doesn't show any of open minded respect for his fans that are J&M fans and justifies John's unfaithfulness to his wife,John being unfaithful is not just being unfaithful to Marlena,its being unfaithful to fans who have supported them for years,I supported and did all I could to get Drake/John back on DOOL,now I officially regret that.
Gosh, don't regret it. We all know the endgame is J&M, the question is how much longer do we have to wait?

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 10:03 AM
JohnandMarlenaFreak
Jul 24 2008, 09:46 AM
Gosh, don't regret it. We all know the endgame is J&M, the question is how much longer do we have to wait?
Well for the moment I do,I may change my mind.

deefanUBS

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 10:03 AM
I regret it. Well, actually I didn't do anything to get him his job back, but I was upset when I thought he had been let go. What can I say, I wanted my J&M. But, since his return, with the exception of less than a handful of episodes where we have seen John's softer side (with Marlena), I have regretted his return. The way the writers have used this sl to destroy, Marlena, John, and the profound love and deep connection they share, truly sickens me. I wish John had stayed dead, as I don't know how I as a J&M fan could ever want them paired again - not the way Higley has written this! I'm sure when old John returns, I will be asked to just forget everything that was done to Marlena by this John. He wasn't himself right? Just the way I wasn't suppose to blame him for Jope sex in 1999?!

At this point, there's just been too much destruction. As a J&M fan, it's all very sad. :frown:
Edited by deefanUBS, Jul 24 2008, 10:18 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I love that Drake is open and how he feels. John and Marlena need to be Bo and Nora'd anyway.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply