Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: AR-Ava-Derci; Hogestyn on Braun's leaving
Topic Started: Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM (3,327 Views)
JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

deefanUBS
Jul 24 2008, 10:16 AM
Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 10:03 AM
Gosh, don't regret it. We all know the endgame is J&M, the question is how much longer do we have to wait?
I regret it. Well, actually I didn't do anything to get him his job back, but I was upset when I thought he had been let go. What can I say, I wanted my J&M. But, since his return, with the exception of less than a handful of episodes where we have seen John's softer side (with Marlena), I have regretted his return. The way the writers have used this sl to destroy, Marlena, John, and the profound love and deep connection they share, truly sickens me. I wish John had stayed dead, as I don't know how I as a J&M fan could ever want them paired again - not the way Higley has written this! I'm sure when old John returns, I will be asked to just forget everything that was done to Marlena by this John. He wasn't himself right? Just the way I wasn't suppose to blame him for Jope sex in 1999?!

At this point, there's just been too much destruction. As a J&M fan, it's all very sad. :frown:
I agree,JM are totally ruined for me now,even if John gets his memory back,I still have to remember the horror of the last 7 months,no wait for me the horror has been going on since october cause my John is still dead.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

deefanUBS

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Jul 24 2008, 10:32 AM
deefanUBS
Jul 24 2008, 10:16 AM
Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 10:03 AM
Gosh, don't regret it. We all know the endgame is J&M, the question is how much longer do we have to wait?
I regret it. Well, actually I didn't do anything to get him his job back, but I was upset when I thought he had been let go. What can I say, I wanted my J&M. But, since his return, with the exception of less than a handful of episodes where we have seen John's softer side (with Marlena), I have regretted his return. The way the writers have used this sl to destroy, Marlena, John, and the profound love and deep connection they share, truly sickens me. I wish John had stayed dead, as I don't know how I as a J&M fan could ever want them paired again - not the way Higley has written this! I'm sure when old John returns, I will be asked to just forget everything that was done to Marlena by this John. He wasn't himself right? Just the way I wasn't suppose to blame him for Jope sex in 1999?!

At this point, there's just been too much destruction. As a J&M fan, it's all very sad. :frown:
I agree,JM are totally ruined for me now,even if John gets his memory back,I still have to remember the horror of the last 7 months,no wait for me the horror has been going on since october cause my John is still dead.
Yup, my J&M ended with John's last breath.

I'm glad the table is about to turn and the focus will return to Marlena. I also hope that nuJohn stays away, as I have seen enough of his interaction with Marlena to last me a lifetime. Bring on Stefano & Marlena! :applause:
Edited by deefanUBS, Jul 24 2008, 10:57 AM.

peaches179

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:16 AM

It should also be clarified that there's a difference between an interesting obstacle and a boring piece of shit obstacle that nobody finds interesting. I feel like John/Ava were headed to an interesting place and I'm really sad Tamara left.

I agree. I like her too. I just wish they could have given her something more than this.

CatherineEarnshaw

the audience has already turned away.

Edited by CatherineEarnshaw, Jul 24 2008, 12:49 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:26 AM
I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.
I don't really blame Drake for wanting something new. He's been in the same storyline with Marlena for decades now. He wants something fresh. Unforunately, DAYS is a supercouple based show so John and Marlena will always be connected somehow and involved in the same storyline. Now, if this were Y&R, it would be different.

FanODays

DrewHamilton
Jul 24 2008, 12:29 PM
Kenny
I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.
I don't really blame Drake for wanting something new. He's been in the same storyline with Marlena for decades now. He wants something fresh. Unforunately, DAYS is a supercouple based show so John and Marlena will always be connected somehow and involved in the same storyline. Now, if this were Y&R, it would be different.
I get that Drake wants something new and he is not the only actor who has felt this way. I think though that when an actor says things like this, they must be aware of the fanbase who wants their supercouples together no matter what and I think its fair to ask that. If it weren't for J&M, Drake would not be where he is today so that needs to be handled very carefully.

Ellie

FanODays
Jul 24 2008, 01:23 PM
If it weren't for J&M, Drake would not be where he is today
Yep. And sounds to me like he realizes that.

peaches179

DrewHamilton
Kenny

As much as I love Bope, I wouldn't mind them being broken up for awhile. They have become boring too.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I kind of wish for something to mess up Bope for awhile too. They have been way to mushy and boring lately for me too.

I get the impression that John died in October and now we have a new character, Jawn. And I can see absolutely why Drake would want to do something new because he has been doing the same thing for 20 years...there are only so many times Jarlena can reunite, so I don't mind moving on.

I am not new to soaps or to Days, but I am new to the supercouple fanbases...just never really knew they existed like this until I started on these boards last year (Lumi vs. Ejami was my first taste)...and they are unreal. Happily ever after doesn't exist in soaps or real life, but fans get crazy about two people being together that it turns them rabid. I feel that it really disrupts a story and it ruins possibly a fantastic new pairing for the fans.

If Marlena got John back and Steffie stayed in a coma, they would sit around reading letters and do nothing...and people get upset. They have been on every adventure together in the last 20 years...maybe I just don't have the imagination to come up with another exciting story for those two. This current one is pretty awesome though.
JMO!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Kenny

Exactly..I don't think this has anything to do with him not wanting to work with Deidre or not liking John and Marlena..Its just an exciting new story for his character after years of the same old stuff....

sungrey

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 08:45 AM
Kenny

Kenny, I think you are exactly right.
Then you know what? Just come out and say it. Say that you think Marlena and John have run their course. You won't win any popularity awards with the fans, and you may be hated for a while, but it'd be such a breath of fresh air.

But it won't happen so Drake, news flash. The J&M audience has left the building. But they can return. For now, I'm interested in seeing John battle Jawn and Marlena going through this stuff with "Samantha". It's good story. J&M can be the end game, but it doesn't have to be RIGHT THIS INSTANT. That's something the fanbases have trouble grasping at times.

Ellie

Kenny
I really don't think it's that simple. As 'FanODays' posted, Drake is where he is today because of J&M. Now, to some actors, that might be gratifying, but to others, that might be a little... what's the right word... disconcerting? Humbling? Something along those lines.

So, currently, Drake has this Java/docks storyline, which is one of the first few times he's had a story independent of J&M which is getting him some attention as an actor. (Jate/John's drug addiction might be another.) I can see how that might make him feel good about himself, in a sense.

But there's one teensy little problem: during these storylines and 'alternate couplings', the ratings have been absolutely horrendous. So, if you're the actor in this situation, what to do? Drake opted to dismiss the issue by in effect saying that couples don't have to be popular, that there's more to a soap than "fan favorite" couples.

In my mind, having unmatched chemistry with a costar and combining your talents with those of your costar to collaborate on stories is a positive, not a negative. But Drake seems to view it a little differently, which is what I think led to the comments in this interview.

hops
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
And that's why I don't watch Y&R, lol.

I'm selfish, I watch a soap because of what I like, lol. Sue me, I'm a supercouple fan. I wouldn't still be watching Days if it weren't for John and Marlena. I think there was plenty of really interesting conflict without a third party. nuJohn evolving (or I hoped he would) Marlena being torn, pushed and pulled between her loyalty to 'John' and an attraction to this nuJohn. nuJohn's mistakes putting Marlena and their family in danger. Stefano, whom should have been involved all along..... another conflict. Maybe they are finally going to tell this story..... I have no clue. If the writing improves, I'd like to tune in again.

As to Drake's comments, Tamara was leaving regardless, so it's kind of a mute point.

hops
Member Avatar

sungrey
Jul 24 2008, 03:52 PM
Then you know what? Just come out and say it. Say that you think Marlena and John have run their course. You won't win any popularity awards with the fans, and you may be hated for a while, but it'd be such a breath of fresh air.

But it won't happen so Drake, news flash. The J&M audience has left the building. But they can return. For now, I'm interested in seeing John battle Jawn and Marlena going through this stuff with "Samantha". It's good story. J&M can be the end game, but it doesn't have to be RIGHT THIS INSTANT. That's something the fanbases have trouble grasping at times.
Hey, I wouldn't mind some plain talk. I can take it! lol. I agree, I'm interested in seeing John battle Jawn and Marlena going through this stuff with 'Samantha'. And I have never wanted or asked for things to be RIGHT THIS INSTANT. I have always wanted the journey, but I was hopping this time it would be different and a third party wouldn't be necessary. I like the upcoming spoilers..... let's see how they play out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Jul 24 2008, 03:52 PM
Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 08:45 AM
Kenny

Kenny, I think you are exactly right.

Exactly. I love that Drake spoke out about this and I don't blame him. It's new and different. As an actor, you want to be challenged. I only wish Dee got something new to handle. They botched that when they brought John back from the dead IMO. I blame Days for this though. They created the supercouple situation and kept milking it and now they have created a fan culture for the show that boxes the writers and actors in. It's a shame and i hate that so many potential stories were pushed aside out of fear of fanbases.

One other thing. Last year, I was one who bashed Drake for speaking out about the writing and said that there is a difference between speaking out respectfully and speaking out in a poor way. This is speaking out respectfully. He addressed the issue and made some comments about the writing. He didn't just make it about him. He spoke in general about supercouples. It's much in the way SN and MBE spoke out. That is the way to do it IMO. It comes off better. I know it was a slap in the face to J&M fans but I could care less. Some of them (not all because there are some wonderfully nice J&M fans out there, some on this board) deserve it IMO.

I will miss Tamara a ton. Hope she returns at some point.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:05 AM
Exactly. I love that Drake spoke out about this and I don't blame him. It's new and different. As an actor, you want to be challenged. I only wish Dee got something new to handle. They botched that when they brought John back from the dead IMO. I blame Days for this though. They created the supercouple situation and kept milking it and now they have created a fan culture for the show that boxes the writers and actors in. It's a shame and i hate that so many potential stories were pushed aside out of fear of fanbases.

One other thing. Last year, I was one who bashed Drake for speaking out about the writing and said that there is a difference between speaking out respectfully and speaking out in a poor way. This is speaking out respectfully. He addressed the issue and made some comments about the writing. He didn't just make it about him. He spoke in general about supercouples. It's much in the way SN and MBE spoke out. That is the way to do it IMO. It comes off better. I know it was a slap in the face to J&M fans but I could care less. Some of them (not all because there are some wonderfully nice J&M fans out there, some on this board) deserve it IMO.

I will miss Tamara a ton. Hope she returns at some point.
In this instance, I don't blame the super couple situation, I blame the writers for not being creative enough. A third party is so easy. The John coming back started out well and I liked that Marlena was strong and matched him scene for scene. Then the writing started to change and Marlena was put in the back ground. Again, with the set up there was conflict enough, and a writer with some imagination could have run with it.
Edited by hops, Jul 25 2008, 12:21 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I will agree that moving Marlena to the background was stupid. I didn't mind her leaving town twice because I do think they wanted to limit her appearances knowing full well they were going to use her alot once Stefano returned. They don't want to go over the guarantees too much because they have alot of vets.

I really do wish they kept going with Marlena and Victor. It would've been fun having her counsel him or even having her counsel Ava for a bit. I would've liked more Marlena on her own, just like we got John on his own. I think any chance of an individual Marlena story went out the window when John came back.

The writers are at fault but the supercouple thing does box them in. I think a third party is fine. The only problem is they wrote Marlena horribly around the time Ava was tossed into things so that pissed off fans as it is and made them feel like Marlena was being slighted for a new woman. It was just bad timing IMO. I don't think many J&M fans would've saw the situation any differently but perhaps it would've been a bit better had Marlena had better character direction. She didn't seem to get that until her return in mid-June when the disk drama picked up. Then we saw what she wanted, which was her "Old" John back. That is the direction she has now and that's fine. I'm glad they picked a direction. It should've been that way in May.

This was a great opportunity to try something new with John being this way so I'm glad they tried John and Ava. Hell, it did add to the story as it showed how John longs for acceptance of the new him. I think it all came together pretty well with the exception of the writing for Marlena at times.

e83talus
Member Avatar

What this whole Jawn s/l has made me realize is that I am and continue to be a classic John Black fan, not a Drake Hogestyn fan. I do not like the robo-John character because he is exactly opposite of my fav John Black. I liked john Black the hero that no matterwhat had a soulmate connection to Doc. I became hooked on Days and J&M during West vrginia in 86 and fell head over heals during the 93 affair. John Black's strength and commitment to his friends, family and yes getting his past back is why I have remained a fan for 22 years.

Bringing Drake back to play a completely different person who looks like John Black has not worked for me. It worked in the beginning but his character is simply a robot who tells people off and is occassional funny. This is really lazy writing because his charcater has no depth whatsoever and nothing to either root for or feel anyting about. If Jawn doesn't care about anyone else, why should I care about him.

I think this would be similar to Thaoo fans and how they felt when their favorite character of Tony was made more and more of a villan which was so far opposite the original Tony.

Shylock

On the "Drake's not a J&M fan" thing: I wouldn't say he's against the coupling as I'm sure he loves working with Deidre Hall, but. If you had to go into work every day for 20 years straight and working material with the same person over and over.. it gets kinda dull and I figure you'd want to change things up.

sungrey

I like the Jawn/John stuff for now. It's fun watching Drake play an entirely different version of herself. It's almost like he exaggerates every line on purpose and he's passing gas trying to say stuff.

However, anybody knows you can't keep this up. I think the show realizes this. I'd bet by this time next year we'll have a solution to the situation. The fun will be in getting there.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply