Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: AR-Ava-Derci; Hogestyn on Braun's leaving
Topic Started: Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM (3,413 Views)
SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

andromeda
Jul 24 2008, 08:40 AM
If he hasn't noticed, the audience is turning away lol "interesting".
I think it's the overall boringness of the storylines and the snails pace they're moving at.

Jawn is one of the few reasons I still tune in and I wouldn't have said that at any other time.

I hope some fans don't want to start a campaign to get him fired like I read some wanted to do after his chatgate with Lauren.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Jul 25 2008, 05:32 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jonatha
Jul 24 2008, 07:51 AM
Source: SOW

Just as his storyline with Ava was heating up, Drake Hogestyn heard Tamara Braun was leaving the show.

"I was blind-sided," reveals Hogestyn. "I never, ever talk contracts or situations with actors."

He learned the news when someone behind the scenes mentioned that it was Braun's last day. "I was like, 'What are you talking about? No way! You're kidding me!'" Needless to say, Hogestyn is sad to be losing Braun.

"As far as our characters go, right up until the last minute we were working on our interpretation of what we wanted out of scenes. We were fighting for what we thought was right, as actor's do," he says. "There was momentum building. People around us would comment on it. Was it an unusual pairing? Absolutely. John's a little off-center, and Ava's very free. But the bottom line is, Ava was the only person who never compared him to the 'old John.' He embraced that and felt more comfortable around Ava than anybody else. She brought out a side of John the audience needed to see."

As for the professional side of Braun, "She's a fantastic actress and is going to be missed," he praises. "I've always had fun over the years with working with a new actress. It's a chance to explore and create. I'm all about embracing story and taking chances."

He acknowledges that not all Days' fans embraced the pairing.

"A lot of people are into the security of what a group of fans think. Just be a super-couple and that's it," muses Hogestyn. "But you have to have conflict. If you don't have conflict, and you don't bring something to the table every day that is interesting and provocative, the audience will turn the other way."

Drake Hogestyn is one very very smart man

FanODays

Days may not have created 'the supercouple' but its what they used for decades to get and keep viewers, then they decided it was too limiting so they started to blame the fans for demanding that their couples be kept together. Many of the actors, Drake and Peter especially were very vocal about wanting storylines beyond their given coupling, I don't blame them for that. However its how they handle the situation that makes all the difference and Drake has not handled it well on a couple of occassions and that bothers me.

I so get why he loves Jawn especially given the writing for John during the past 2 or 3 years. However, like it or not, Days is about the supercouple, at least the established ones. Yes there is some cheering that J&M are on the outs but how would they like it if it were Bope or S&K and the shoe was on the other foot. I know many would be outraged if Hope had to play the Marlena role while Bo got the hot new chick, or the old one if the rumors of Carly coming back are true. Similarly the S&K fans were all up in arms over the Ava storyline.

Back to Drake. No his life and John/Jawn's storylines do not have to revolve around Deidre Hall and Marlena but he should not bite the hand that fed him for years and that hand is the J&M fanbase.

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

I know I'm new to this board, but in my opinion, I'm just glad that John and Marlena actually have a s/l and are not just sitting around reading a bunch of dumb love letters like last year.

Jonatha

LorrieOw
Jul 25 2008, 08:27 AM
I know I'm new to this board, but in my opinion, I'm just glad that John and Marlena actually have a s/l and are not just sitting around reading a bunch of dumb love letters like last year.
Welcome to Daytime Royalty! Feel free to express your opinions here. :smile:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 08:16 AM
Days may not have created 'the supercouple' but its what they used for decades to get and keep viewers, then they decided it was too limiting so they started to blame the fans for demanding that their couples be kept together. Many of the actors, Drake and Peter especially were very vocal about wanting storylines beyond their given coupling, I don't blame them for that. However its how they handle the situation that makes all the difference and Drake has not handled it well on a couple of occassions and that bothers me.

I so get why he loves Jawn especially given the writing for John during the past 2 or 3 years. However, like it or not, Days is about the supercouple, at least the established ones. Yes there is some cheering that J&M are on the outs but how would they like it if it were Bope or S&K and the shoe was on the other foot. I know many would be outraged if Hope had to play the Marlena role while Bo got the hot new chick, or the old one if the rumors of Carly coming back are true. Similarly the S&K fans were all up in arms over the Ava storyline.

Back to Drake. No his life and John/Jawn's storylines do not have to revolve around Deidre Hall and Marlena but he should not bite the hand that fed him for years and that hand is the J&M fanbase.
I don't care what couple it is. Let me just say I love all the couples but that doesn't mean I'm against any of them splitting up or ending up with someone else. Hell, I loved Bo and Carly ALOT. It would be realistic if at least one or two of these couples didn't end up together. Yes, soaps are about escapism but part of that escapism stems from realism and the fan getting immersed in the lives of the characters. The more realistic IMO, the more immersed you become. I just think it's too limiting to a show to have most of the characters the audience wants to see tied down to one particular result. Days created this but it seems since the advent of message boards that the supercouple thing has exploded. I don't recall ever seeing some of the extreme, irrational behavior (again, not everyone in a fanbase is like this but those that are give them a bad reputation) that is exhibited now in the 90's.

It seems like around 2000 things started reaching a whole new level and Days is now in a situation where it's damned if it does and damned if it don't. JER's reign contributed to it. It created several divided groups and that is why you can never please more then half of Days fans. You have fans that want campy, over the top and some, that to a lesser extent, want the Gothic type stuff JER gave fans in the 90's. Then you have fans who want character-driven stuff like Hogan provided and some that want plot-driven. Then you have some that just want romance and couples having romance and romantic adventures and some that only watch for one couple or character. Then you have general fans that tune in when the show is just entertaining and fans that watch Days no matter what. That is where Days is at and that is why I sympathize with whoever writes the show and I even sympathize with Corday (shudder) in a way because it's an impossible situation. It will always appear like most of the audience hates what your doing because Days has far too many viewing factions. I'm not saying Days should steer away from it's identity but I am saying Days can't survive off the supercouples because I think they milked it too much. They should've broke from the concept years ago and stopped settling for the same end result all the time. Seriously, any show that has to have their EP repeatedly reiterate in previews who the rooting couples are and who the endgame are just so that people don't tune out is in alot of trouble. The guy is spoiling story doing that. How can you invest in something if you always know who will end up together and what the end result will be?. Days needs to just tell good stories and set a new precedent. If Bope or J&M or whoever ends up together in the end, so be it but don't spoil it and don't always settle for what is familiar. Days needs to take a risk. Maybe it will lose some fans but it also may have a chance at getting some new ones interested (just like when Days killed John and got many people's attention). Believe me, there are alot of fans out there that stay away from Days for many of the reasons I mentioned.

annalee003
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jul 24 2008, 08:26 AM
I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.
I don't think he's anti-J&M. I think he's just bored. In the same scenes with the same actors and saying the same thing everyday.

e83talus
Member Avatar

LorrieOw
Jul 25 2008, 08:27 AM
While that is true, last year I at least watched while they read the stupid boring letters. By the end of the Summer I was really over Ejami, Lumi, Santeen and touch the skies, but I did not stop watching because I wanted to see Tony, Stefano, Steve, Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Julie, & Doug deal with the vend...feud (I just can't say that word anymore). This year however, I have stopped watching because I hate most of the s/l's on this show right now. That is Days fault, not mine for being a part of the J&M fanbase!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:08 PM
FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 08:16 AM

I don't care what couple it is. Let me just say I love all the couples but that doesn't mean I'm against any of them splitting up or ending up with someone else. Hell, I loved Bo and Carly ALOT. It would be realistic if at least one or two of these couples didn't end up together. Yes, soaps are about escapism but part of that escapism stems from realism and the fan getting immersed in the lives of the characters. The more realistic IMO, the more immersed you become. I just think it's too limiting to a show to have most of the characters the audience wants to see tied down to one particular result. Days created this but it seems since the advent of message boards that the supercouple thing has exploded. I don't recall ever seeing some of the extreme, irrational behavior (again, not everyone in a fanbase is like this but those that are give them a bad reputation) that is exhibited now in the 90's.

It seems like around 2000 things started reaching a whole new level and Days is now in a situation where it's damned if it does and damned if it don't. JER's reign contributed to it. It created several divided groups and that is why you can never please more then half of Days fans. You have fans that want campy, over the top and some, that to a lesser extent, want the Gothic type stuff JER gave fans in the 90's. Then you have fans who want character-driven stuff like Hogan provided and some that want plot-driven. Then you have some that just want romance and couples having romance and romantic adventures and some that only watch for one couple or character. Then you have general fans that tune in when the show is just entertaining and fans that watch Days no matter what. That is where Days is at and that is why I sympathize with whoever writes the show and I even sympathize with Corday (shudder) in a way because it's an impossible situation. It will always appear like most of the audience hates what your doing because Days has far too many viewing factions. I'm not saying Days should steer away from it's identity but I am saying Days can't survive off the supercouples because I think they milked it too much. They should've broke from the concept years ago and stopped settling for the same end result all the time. Seriously, any show that has to have their EP repeatedly reiterate in previews who the rooting couples are and who the endgame are just so that people don't tune out is in alot of trouble. The guy is spoiling story doing that. How can you invest in something if you always know who will end up together and what the end result will be?. Days needs to just tell good stories and set a new precedent. If Bope or J&M or whoever ends up together in the end, so be it but don't spoil it and don't always settle for what is familiar. Days needs to take a risk. Maybe it will lose some fans but it also may have a chance at getting some new ones interested (just like when Days killed John and got many people's attention). Believe me, there are alot of fans out there that stay away from Days for many of the reasons I mentioned.
Beautiful summary...................

Posted Image

JustJo
Member Avatar

I'm new to this board, but I've watched Days for 40+ years. I have been a fan of most of the major characters on Days over the years... as individuals and as couples. Conflict is good, change is interesting, and new characters can add to the show. BUT, it all depends on how it's written and how that writing helps the audience become invested in the story.

It's natural to root for couples you like and have become invested in. Drake came to Days to re-establish Marlena with Roman. The audience wanted Marlena back with Roman (other attempts at pairing someone with Marlena didn't work). When Deidre left the show Drake had 5 years of his own story lines and other partners. After Deidre came back it took some time for them to start being written as a "couple" again. It's not like he's been glued to J&M for his whole tenure at Days. Even when they were in love, they often weren't together, and he was ALWAYS with someone else. So, some of his point of view I don't understand. He has hardly been in a rut for over 20 years! While I understand he is enjoying playing a new character, I do take some of his comments as a slam to John fans and J&M fans.

I'm part of the J&M fan base. But, I am primarily a Marlena fan. If they weren't together and her character was written well and in an interesting sl, I wouldn't tune out. When they're not together and Marlena is so OOC that I hardly recognize her, I tune out. I don't think couples fan bases are insisting on smooth sailing for their couples. I think they just want them in character and in good stories with some pay-offs along the way.

Just my humble opinion. :wave:
Edited by JustJo, Jul 30 2008, 03:39 PM.

hops
Member Avatar

JustJo
Jul 30 2008, 12:57 PM
I'm new to this board, but I've watched Days for 40+ years. I have been a fan of most of the major characters on Days over the years... as individuals and as couples. Conflict is good, change is interesting, and new characters can add to the show. BUT, it all depends on how it's written and how that writing helps the audience become invested in the story.

It's natural to root for couples you like and have become invested in. Drake came to Days to re-establish Marlena with Roman. The audience wanted Marlena back with Roman (other attempts at pairing someone with Marlena didn't work). When Deidre left the show Drake had 5 years of his own story lines and other partners. After Deidre came back it took some time for them to start being written as a "couple" again. It's not like he's been glued to J&M for his whole tenure at Days. Even when they were in love, they often weren't together, and he was ALWAYS with someone else. So, some of his point of view I don't understand. He has hardly been in a rut for over 20 years! While I understand he is enjoying playing a new character, I do take some of his comments as a slam to John fans and J&M fans.

I'm part of the J&M fan base. But, I am primarily a Marlena fan. If they weren't together and her character was written well and in an interesting sl, I wouldn't tune out. When they're not together and Marlena is so OOC that I hardly recognize her, I tune out. I don't think couples fan bases are insisting on smooth sailing for their couples. I think they just want them in character and in good stories with some pay-offs along the way.

Nicely said. I totally agree. :)

Drake_Cake
Member Avatar

Alligato
Jul 24 2008, 02:09 PM
I kind of wish for something to mess up Bope for awhile too. They have been way to mushy and boring lately for me too.

I get the impression that John died in October and now we have a new character, Jawn. And I can see absolutely why Drake would want to do something new because he has been doing the same thing for 20 years...there are only so many times Jarlena can reunite, so I don't mind moving on.

I am not new to soaps or to Days, but I am new to the supercouple fanbases...just never really knew they existed like this until I started on these boards last year (Lumi vs. Ejami was my first taste)...and they are unreal. Happily ever after doesn't exist in soaps or real life, but fans get crazy about two people being together that it turns them rabid. I feel that it really disrupts a story and it ruins possibly a fantastic new pairing for the fans.

If Marlena got John back and Steffie stayed in a coma, they would sit around reading letters and do nothing...and people get upset. They have been on every adventure together in the last 20 years...maybe I just don't have the imagination to come up with another exciting story for those two. This current one is pretty awesome though.
JMO!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

e83talus
Member Avatar

I am so glad Ava is leaving. She was completely unnecessary in the John/Marlena or the John v. Phillip or the John v. Paul storyline other than to piss off three quarters of the Jarlena fanbase. This convoluted mess that is NuJohn and all that he is involved in was full of conflict without adding yet another interloper. I mean he and Marlena were not together before Ava, so what was the point. They aren't together now and many Jarlena fans are returning next week to see, not J&M but John v. Stefano and Marlena v. Stefano.

As bad as Stefano is and as much trouble and mayhem as he has caused our couple, we love his kind of conflict. The badder the better.

Destroy the stupid disc.
Bring on Stefano and lets get ready to rumble! :cheer:

CatherineEarnshaw

JustJo
Jul 30 2008, 12:57 PM

good pst

CatherineEarnshaw

e83talus
Aug 2 2008, 08:59 AM
I am so glad Ava is leaving. She was completely unnecessary in the John/Marlena or the John v. Phillip or the John v. Paul storyline other than to piss off three quarters of the Jarlena fanbase. This convoluted mess that is NuJohn and all that he is involved in was full of conflict without adding yet another interloper. I mean he and Marlena were not together before Ava, so what was the point. They aren't together now and many Jarlena fans are returning next week to see, not J&M but John v. Stefano and Marlena v. Stefano.

As bad as Stefano is and as much trouble and mayhem as he has caused our couple, we love his kind of conflict. The badder the better.

Destroy the stupid disc.
Bring on Stefano and lets get ready to rumble! :cheer:
I agree. Stefano is always best when he is involved with John and Marlena.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:46 AM
I will agree that moving Marlena to the background was stupid. I didn't mind her leaving town twice because I do think they wanted to limit her appearances knowing full well they were going to use her alot once Stefano returned. They don't want to go over the guarantees too much because they have alot of vets.

I really do wish they kept going with Marlena and Victor. It would've been fun having her counsel him or even having her counsel Ava for a bit. I would've liked more Marlena on her own, just like we got John on his own. I think any chance of an individual Marlena story went out the window when John came back.

The writers are at fault but the supercouple thing does box them in. I think a third party is fine. The only problem is they wrote Marlena horribly around the time Ava was tossed into things so that pissed off fans as it is and made them feel like Marlena was being slighted for a new woman. It was just bad timing IMO. I don't think many J&M fans would've saw the situation any differently but perhaps it would've been a bit better had Marlena had better character direction. She didn't seem to get that until her return in mid-June when the disk drama picked up. Then we saw what she wanted, which was her "Old" John back. That is the direction she has now and that's fine. I'm glad they picked a direction. It should've been that way in May.

This was a great opportunity to try something new with John being this way so I'm glad they tried John and Ava. Hell, it did add to the story as it showed how John longs for acceptance of the new him. I think it all came together pretty well with the exception of the writing for Marlena at times.
ITA! I wasn't fond of the story at first, particularly when Ava got involved with John, but then the writer's kinda hit us over the head with a sledgehammer that Marlena couldn't accept him. I don't have to like John and Ava together, but I certainly understand John being drawn to someone who likes him for himself when no one else gives him a chance. I think Ava has served a purpose, but I'm somewhat sad that I haven't seen Marlena realize that he is drawn to Ava because she didn't belittle who he is.

I hate what the writer's have done to Marlena. I've always loved how perceptive and skillful she was at reading and understanding people. She hasn't been that Marlena at all. As much as she grieved for John (you could feel her pain and loneliness), I just don't see her acting like this. The man she loved had his memories taken from him. The Marlena I love would have loved him first, and worked on his memories later. She was almost shrewish over that disk. That is not Marlena.

I hope things are moving in the right direction now. I'm glad to see Deidre so excited about what's coming up. I'm looking forward to it.

CatherineEarnshaw

Kyrai
Aug 2 2008, 09:54 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:46 AM
I will agree that moving Marlena to the background was stupid. I didn't mind her leaving town twice because I do think they wanted to limit her appearances knowing full well they were going to use her alot once Stefano returned. They don't want to go over the guarantees too much because they have alot of vets.

I really do wish they kept going with Marlena and Victor. It would've been fun having her counsel him or even having her counsel Ava for a bit. I would've liked more Marlena on her own, just like we got John on his own. I think any chance of an individual Marlena story went out the window when John came back.

The writers are at fault but the supercouple thing does box them in. I think a third party is fine. The only problem is they wrote Marlena horribly around the time Ava was tossed into things so that pissed off fans as it is and made them feel like Marlena was being slighted for a new woman. It was just bad timing IMO. I don't think many J&M fans would've saw the situation any differently but perhaps it would've been a bit better had Marlena had better character direction. She didn't seem to get that until her return in mid-June when the disk drama picked up. Then we saw what she wanted, which was her "Old" John back. That is the direction she has now and that's fine. I'm glad they picked a direction. It should've been that way in May.

This was a great opportunity to try something new with John being this way so I'm glad they tried John and Ava. Hell, it did add to the story as it showed how John longs for acceptance of the new him. I think it all came together pretty well with the exception of the writing for Marlena at times.
ITA! I wasn't fond of the story at first, particularly when Ava got involved with John, but then the writer's kinda hit us over the head with a sledgehammer that Marlena couldn't accept him. I don't have to like John and Ava together, but I certainly understand John being drawn to someone who likes him for himself when no one else gives him a chance. I think Ava has served a purpose, but I'm somewhat sad that I haven't seen Marlena realize that he is drawn to Ava because she didn't belittle who he is.

I hate what the writer's have done to Marlena. I've always loved how perceptive and skillful she was at reading and understanding people. She hasn't been that Marlena at all. As much as she grieved for John (you could feel her pain and loneliness), I just don't see her acting like this. The man she loved had his memories taken from him. The Marlena I love would have loved him first, and worked on his memories later. She was almost shrewish over that disk. That is not Marlena.

I hope things are moving in the right direction now. I'm glad to see Deidre so excited about what's coming up. I'm looking forward to it.
good post. Marlena's character has been poorly written too in this Jawn story.

Kyrai

annalee003
Jul 25 2008, 03:08 PM
Kenny
I really don't think that Drake is a J&M fan. Every opportunity he's gotten to have John paired with a new woman, he's been totally gung-ho for it. He was pushing Eileen Davidson to return when Y&R let her go last year. He seems really intrigued with John/Ava. And didn't he have a chat with JATE fans a few years back in which he told everyone to hope that Marlena stays dead forever?

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play John anymore -- he's all about "Jawn."

Everything that comes out of Drake's mouth tends to make him sound like a very, very anti-J&M guy.
I don't think he's anti-J&M. I think he's just bored. In the same scenes with the same actors and saying the same thing everyday.
I think he just enjoys interesting storylines that shake things up. Everything he said was dead on. I hated the Kate/John story back when he was addicted to drugs, but I remember him saying while it was very difficult, he enjoyed doing something different and that it gave him a new appreciation for being back with Marlena when they reunited. Unfortunately, the North s/l came in hot on the heels of the reunion, and I found that one more difficult to take than this current s/l, but you have to give a storyline a chance. Change isn't a bad thing, it keeps it fresh. It doesn't mean he never wants to get back with Marlena. The road isn't always smooth. Conflict is good!

CatherineEarnshaw

Kyrai
Aug 2 2008, 10:05 AM
annalee003
Kenny

I think he just enjoys interesting storylines that shake things up. Everything he said was dead on. I hated the Kate/John story back when he was addicted to drugs, but I remember him saying while it was very difficult, he enjoyed doing something different and that it gave him a new appreciation for being back with Marlena when they reunited. Unfortunately, the North s/l came in hot on the heels of the reunion, and I found that one more difficult to take than this current s/l, but you have to give a storyline a chance. Change isn't a bad thing, it keeps it fresh. It doesn't mean he never wants to get back with Marlena. The road isn't always smooth. Conflict is good!
But conflict must make sense. One thing that Reilly got at least was that once marlena came back from the island, John wasn't torn between her and Kate. Reilly had his flaws but he understood, most of the time, the bond between John and Marlena.

Kyrai

CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 2 2008, 10:08 AM
Kyrai
Aug 2 2008, 10:05 AM
annalee003
Kenny

But conflict must make sense. One thing that Reilly got at least was that once marlena came back from the island, John wasn't torn between her and Kate. Reilly had his flaws but he understood, most of the time, the bond between John and Marlena.
ITA.

I feel like the bond is still there with this story though. Aside from what I consider lack-luster writing, I feel like John and Marlena will find their way back to each other eventually. I know she loves him, and I can tell John feels that connection too. He just doesn't understand it yet. She'll save him. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply