Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Editor's Note; Lynn Leahey's Days Thoughts...
Topic Started: Jul 25 2008, 12:37 AM (1,794 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Since Jonatha posted the Critical mass from SOW, I thought it would a good idea to post something that was in the July 29, 2008 issue of SOD just for the sake of discussion. It was in the Editor's Note section where Lynn Leahey gives brief thoughts on soaps and things that can be found in SOD for that week. I just thought this was interesting as it seems critics are praising Days more now and I know alot of people who are back to watching again too. Just makes you see how we all can see different things when we watch. Anyway, here it is (I'm only posting the Days section):

Quote:

"I am loving DAYS OF OUR LIVES right now for so many reasons: the dynamic young stars; the vets who are getting air time and material that's fresh, not recycled (love the "new" John Black), and the way characters are finding love---or at least sex---in unexpected places. DAYS is keeping us on our toes, not with outrageous storytelling, but with quirky, character-based twists---it's like we're looking at the same people we always have, but through a better quality lens. I especially appreciate the balance: plots like John's memory disk and Sami's twins by two fathers are balanced by Abe and Lexie grappling with their son's autism diagnosis. There is just so much drama to be mined from true-to-life family situations, and the autism story is shaping up to be both heartwrenching and a boon to parents on the same journey the Carvers face. Keep it coming, DAYS!

There you go. I do agree that aspects of Days are character-based, like the dock wars stuff and the Bo/Philip stuff. I also think the John/Ava thing is. Nicole/EJ is as well IMO and I may hate Stax with a passion but the whole Trent/Max thing is too. The rest has more plot-driven aspects then anything else. Plus, the autism story is a wreck. All the potential of this got tossed out the window in the first week. It gives us nice scenes but that's it. I do like how things have been mixed up for the Nicole/EJ/Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Philip/Morgan contingent.

I haven't taken stock in any soap magazine critics in years, especially when most of them caved to the networks and began hyping and justifying all the shit that was put onscreen. I may be liking alot of Days right now and may be thinking it's improving but I do think the show has major issues that need to be resolved still and I do think critiques (assuming no one was paid off to write this or something) like this only make things worse because then TPTB think they are doing a good job with certain things and fail to see the issues at hand. There was even an article in SOW a few weeks ago, praising the Chan story and the focus on age appropriateness and how Melvin and Christian work well together with a nice chemistry. We also know that Stax and their love story has been praised by critics. This is why the "hacks" in daytime today get away with things for so long...because the so called soap media behave like we have seen in recent years and TPTB buy into it, thinking they are doing a good job and taking the critics' work as Gospel.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Well, Lynn Leahey likes a show that just might hit an all time rating low this week. Not sure what else to say... I disagree with her completely on every point.

You're making a good point about 'TPTB' taking stock in some of these things. I'm not sure why the critics are so out of touch with the viewers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Well, they aren't just fans of couples for starters. They just want to be entertained is what I'm getting. I think alot of soap critics feel like some fans do, including me. We all know the end is near and just want to enjoy what we can. Maybe that's it. Who knows. I know I lowered my expectations long ago after years of declining quality. Maybe that is why I tend to enjoy some things more then others LOL.

jane1978

I think this is the classic "change the soap and you will love it" phenomenon. It happens all the time, fans of GH are bashing their soap all the time and think the HW is totall hack, yet when I saw some Shelle fans tuning in for KS/JC reunion they loved it. Longterm fans are angry because S/K doesnīt have storyline and Tony/Anna arenīt on at all and John/Marlena are split, but new fans doesnīt know why those characters should be important. They tune in, see whatīs going on with no prejudicies, get involved in the frontburner stories no matter what characters it features and are happy.

Of course, the main problem is there are NO now viewers for soaps available and thatīs what the ratings are so terrible. As Phoenix said, itīs too late. Probably the last partially successful passing the torch switch did Langan when he created his bunch of teens who no matter how much hated they were at the time still managed to create some fan following. Corday really shoot himself in the foot when he got rid of Shelle, because along with them left those younger viewers he so valued. Stax arenīt badly written, but itīs too late for them to create any following. The viewers simply arenīt available. And the same with Phillip/Morgan or any new/fresh couple the show so desperately needs, yet it will shoot them even lower down. Thatīs the reason why DAYS will die no matter who is HW. The circle stopped and there is no chance to start it again.

sungrey

Well said, Jane. The only fanbase I was really ever a part of was Shelle, and I followed the couple through all the recasts. I was looking forward to Phillip coming in between the couple once again... and then dumbass Corday goes and fires Martha and Brandon.

Not only did you fire two competent actors, you torpedoed two great characters and tore down that next generation of Brady/Black family tree you'd painstakingly built.

And you wonder why the show is low-rated at times... sheesh...

jane1978

sungrey
Jul 25 2008, 03:19 AM
Well said, Jane. The only fanbase I was really ever a part of was Shelle, and I followed the couple through all the recasts. I was looking forward to Phillip coming in between the couple once again... and then dumbass Corday goes and fires Martha and Brandon.

Not only did you fire two competent actors, you torpedoed two great characters and tore down that next generation of Brady/Black family tree you'd painstakingly built.

And you wonder why the show is low-rated at times... sheesh...
Yeah, I think if Corday let the quadrangle continue, the HH would probably still fall but DAYS would for sure fight GH in the 18-49 right now. It was stupid, stupid decision. And itīs not repairable because honestly, the budget is so small now and the show looks so poor production wise Iīm not able to imagine young viewer who would stay tune in even if the stories were written by Shakespeare.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Lynn Leahey has clearly lost her mind.

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

I disagree. I think the show is better than it has been in a long time. I think the writers were left with a bunch of jumbled up messes as far as s/l's and it is just taking them a long time to try and untangle the crap they were left with, and start rebuilding the characters and s/l's into something good and interesting to watch. I am enjoying the show more than ever, and I have been watching for a long time. I think it will only get better.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

^o) YA DOOL is so good,I mean the ratings show how wonderful it really is :huh:,give me a break,no wonder I don't read the sh** no more.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Haha. What a load of crap. I can't even stand to watch the show right now. Sad that the two times I've stopped watching were both under Dena Higley's pen.

ilovemydays

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Jul 25 2008, 08:58 AM
^o) YA DOOL is so good,I mean the ratings show how wonderful it really is :huh:,give me a break,no wonder I don't read the sh** no more.

Good ratings don't necessarily reflect that the show is good IMO.
I've loved a lot of critically acclaimed, well written shows that have been canceled due to poor ratings.

Just a few off the top of my head:
Primetime: Homefront, My So Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, Picket Fences, Cane, Bostonm Public
Daytime: Santa Barbara, Another World.

Edited by ilovemydays, Jul 25 2008, 09:18 AM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:37 AM
There you go. I do agree that aspects of Days are character-based, like the dock wars stuff and the Bo/Philip stuff. I also think the John/Ava thing is. Nicole/EJ is as well IMO and I may hate Stax with a passion but the whole Trent/Max thing is too. The rest has more plot-driven aspects then anything else. Plus, the autism story is a wreck. All the potential of this got tossed out the window in the first week. It gives us nice scenes but that's it. I do like how things have been mixed up for the Nicole/EJ/Sami/Lucas/Chloe/Philip/Morgan contingent.

I haven't taken stock in any soap magazine critics in years, especially when most of them caved to the networks and began hyping and justifying all the shit that was put onscreen. I may be liking alot of Days right now and may be thinking it's improving but I do think the show has major issues that need to be resolved still and I do think critiques (assuming no one was paid off to write this or something) like this only make things worse because then TPTB think they are doing a good job with certain things and fail to see the issues at hand. There was even an article in SOW a few weeks ago, praising the Chan story and the focus on age appropriateness and how Melvin and Christian work well together with a nice chemistry. We also know that Stax and their love story has been praised by critics. This is why the "hacks" in daytime today get away with things for so long...because the so called soap media behave like we have seen in recent years and TPTB buy into it, thinking they are doing a good job and taking the critics' work as Gospel.
ITA! You know, I can ignore all the fans that praise stories that the majority of viewers hate, but when supposed professionals who dedicate their life to soaps can't see the problems that plague the soap (or IMO are restricted from saying) then we've got a major malfunction.

At least in this case she only talked of Jawn, sexing it up and autism w/o praising Stax and Chan which are the worst of everything on the show now. The article in SOW praising Chan was actually as badly written as the other. It's like the person writing it isn't even watching (the writer mentions how Chelsea brings out Dan's playful side, WTF? And also mentions how much time has been spent on the age difference? Well sure if yo only watch the last two weeks).

And just like that...the above makes me roll my eyes. The sex stuff isn't necessarily a bad idea but when you have too many couples doing it and at the same time no less, it makes you go WTH is going on? I don't like Chloe but even I have to think something is wrong here when they have her sleeping with two guys practically back to back as well as recently being married to a third.

And as for the autism story...what autism story? They have barely been on and we've mainly gotten them talking about finances (which they should have) and Theo not getting along with Ciara.

So my guess is SOD and SOW must come out and talk about the show positively to keep their access to spoilers coming in. They simply read the recaps that are supplied by the show itself for their information because watching the show is just too damn painful.

Oh and I would recommend anyone who wants to complain to SOD/SOW to email them. I did last year and got published twice. This year I haven't yet but I've been doing it. I am sure certain fans of one God awful fanbase is spamming them with emails just like they are spamming the boards and blogs.

Soap Opera Digest

Label emails: Sound Off

[email protected]

Soap Opera Weekly

[email protected]

Label emails: Public Opinion

Rage Page:

[email protected]

Carolyn Hinsey (Carolyn's Corner column)
[email protected]
Edited by Tripp, Jul 25 2008, 09:27 AM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
Jul 25 2008, 09:17 AM
JohnandMarlenaFreak

I've loved a lot of critically acclaimed, well written shows that have been canceled due to poor ratings.

Primetime: Homefront, My So Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, Picket Fences, Cane, Bostonm Public

Totally agree with you there!
Please add Jericho and Love Monkey to that list.
While the ratings make me sad because I know it hurts the soaps, I don't put much stock into it reflecting if it is a good show or not. There are many shows that I thought were awesome that just didn't pull in the ratings and got cancelled.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jul 25 2008, 12:41 AM
Well, Lynn Leahey likes a show that just might hit an all time rating low this week. Not sure what else to say... I disagree with her completely on every point.

You're making a good point about 'TPTB' taking stock in some of these things. I'm not sure why the critics are so out of touch with the viewers.
I am with you Ellie, as a viewer I am miserable. I can hardly to stand to watch the show right now. I feel like the magic is gone.

FanODays

Various people at SOD do this everytime there is a new writer or producer. They loved Reilly and then as fast as you can blink, they didn't. Same with Hogan and so many others. One minute they are tripping over themselves to tell us how good the show is and then the next week, they are outraged at how bad it is. Which is it?

SOD loves Days because their magazines with Days on the cover sells, hence the number of covers Days gets which is odd considering the ratings. Therefore, you can bet that the editors are going to kiss everything that Corday has to keep on his good side.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Jul 25 2008, 03:08 AM
I think this is the classic "change the soap and you will love it" phenomenon. It happens all the time, fans of GH are bashing their soap all the time and think the HW is totall hack, yet when I saw some Shelle fans tuning in for KS/JC reunion they loved it. Longterm fans are angry because S/K doesnīt have storyline and Tony/Anna arenīt on at all and John/Marlena are split, but new fans doesnīt know why those characters should be important. They tune in, see whatīs going on with no prejudicies, get involved in the frontburner stories no matter what characters it features and are happy.

Of course, the main problem is there are NO now viewers for soaps available and thatīs what the ratings are so terrible. As Phoenix said, itīs too late. Probably the last partially successful passing the torch switch did Langan when he created his bunch of teens who no matter how much hated they were at the time still managed to create some fan following. Corday really shoot himself in the foot when he got rid of Shelle, because along with them left those younger viewers he so valued. Stax arenīt badly written, but itīs too late for them to create any following. The viewers simply arenīt available. And the same with Phillip/Morgan or any new/fresh couple the show so desperately needs, yet it will shoot them even lower down. Thatīs the reason why DAYS will die no matter who is HW. The circle stopped and there is no chance to start it again.
I agree 100%, Jane. Fine post.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ilovemydays
JohnandMarlenaFreak

Exactly. People need to stop using the ratings as a benchmark for what is good and what isn't. Daytime or primetime makes no difference. There are plenty of good shows that end up at the bottom of the barrel because alot of fans nowadays prefer action and events rather then solid, quality, character-driven stuff. Look no further then the daytime ratings. Solid, character-driven drama gives you nothing but if you blow something up or kill someone off or something you get ratings. It's sad but the ratings system is a system driven by gimmicks and events now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 10:25 AM
Various people at SOD do this everytime there is a new writer or producer. They loved Reilly and then as fast as you can blink, they didn't. Same with Hogan and so many others. One minute they are tripping over themselves to tell us how good the show is and then the next week, they are outraged at how bad it is. Which is it?

SOD loves Days because their magazines with Days on the cover sells, hence the number of covers Days gets which is odd considering the ratings. Therefore, you can bet that the editors are going to kiss everything that Corday has to keep on his good side.
I disagree. They never loved Hogan. Never. Days barely got rewarded under Hogan, even when he penned superb stuff. The first 3 months of Hogan's reign he got a few accolades but that was it. The next time Days got any credit under him was John's death and Belle admitting the truth about her affair to Shawn.

SOD seems to award plot-driven stuff more then character-driven and that is a big issue I have with them. Look no further then it's praise of OLTL. Sure, it rewarded some of the bigger things like Nash's death and Rex and Adriana's wedding but no credit is being given for anything else. I'm noty saying they deserve an editor's choice every week but it seems like they are almost being forced to praise it rather then wanting too whereas they freely praise shows like GH, ATWT, etc which are in some trouble right now and are definitely not up to quality standards.

I think SOD knows they will get Days covers regardless because Corday views it as good promotion. Sure, it's possible he is bribing them or forcing them to praise Days but SOD has been praising Higley's work since January (even when it wasn't clear she was writing). They made it known in Corday's interview in April, which formally introduced Higley, that they enjoyed her work in the first four months of the year so I do think they genuinely are enjoying her writing. Then again, they also liked the majority of Langan's writing so we shouldn't be surprised at the way they do things :laugh: .

e83talus
Member Avatar

I have no idea where these people come from. I am a J&M fan but I can tell you that the show as a whole was good from October 2007 May 2008. May sweeps and Dena Higley started to play ring around the beds with all of the couples, when she wasn't simply making them disaapear or have infomercials about Midol and Greening. This show is currently awful. The John storyline was at a virtual stand still from Ferbruary to May right up until he was arrested. Payla was in a f/b storyline that abruptly ended in a conflict that caused their fans to be very upset and request and ask for a writing fix. Dan and Chelsea disturb many viewers, not that they don't have a few fans but take a look at the boards. Stax disgust people completely. Once again look around at the many complaints from all fanbases and general fans. I have no idea where Cloe and Lucas came from but they expect us to root for this copuple when there was no build up.

I see a lot of people complain about Days fans being too picky however take a look at the show in January and February and what we have now and the difference in quality stories is what you will see. I watched entire shows during these months which included the sorority s/l, Shelle, Phloe, J&M, Bope, and Payla trying to get pregnant. There was a little something for everyone. What we have now is sex between virtual strangers and I could not follow a single s/l if I was watching because they keep getting turned around every other week.

In May Ej was reformed and in love with Sami. Now he is bad and chasing Nicole.
In May John & Marlena were trying to find a way to deal with each other and their new relationship and now John could not care less about Marlena and she is running around after some stupid disc.
In May Max was an angry genius and now he is looking for a sister he never knew he had (Huh?).
In May we were supposed to believe that Daniel was falling in Love with young Chelsea but now he had a fling with Kate.

If SOD Editors think this is great they don't have a clue because traditional days fans (which I count as one as I have watched since 1986) don't like this BS! That is why we have tuned out because Days has not listened to word we have said to them since our initial displeasure with the s/l's since May.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
JohnandMarlenaFreak

Most of those shows you mention weren't able to develop a following in time and were cancelled early on. Had they been nutured or able to quickly tap into their market, they might have survived.

Another World was a victim of NBC wanted to dump a soap and having recently started Passions and not wanting to already dump that. It's quite possible today that if Passions had never happened, Another World might still be on the air. I disagree that Santa Barbara was good when it was cancelled. I had lost interest in the show the last couple of years it was on. It was boring and hadn't been able to recover from the loss of Marci Walker.

Soap ratings are very much a reflection of the overall quality of the show at the time. The problem is once a soap goes off track, it is very hard to get the viewers back without pulling off something big or buzzworthy.

Days had just started to bring up ratings and get the stories going in new more interesting directions when JER was fired in 2006. Instead of finding someone who was right fit for the show or someone who could transition it from one type of show to another, Corday went out and hired the anti-JER in Hogan Sheffer and expected a miracle.

Now he's turned the show over to a proven failure in Dena Higley. She sucked in her first headwriting stint on Days, was vehemently hated at OLTL and even called out by Erika Slezak in the press.

So it very much matters who is writing the show and their talent/ability and how they fit into the structure of the show. Days is the romance and love soap but I see no romance or love. I see cheap hookups, everyone getting interrupted in the sack, food fights and the characters walking around like idiots. Where is the story to follow?? Who is rootable/likable?? Everyone seems shallow and self-destructive.

It might be good to tune in every once and awhile or easy for new viewers to follow because there is no real story involved or story movement but it sucks for longtime loyal viewers and that's why they are tuning out.

I think there is an audience out there that all soaps could tap into but they demand quality and intelligent writing and soaps aren't willing to give them that. They want to keep writing the show towards the lowest common denominator and keep losing viewers in the process.

Until soaps want to be successful, they will continue to lose audience.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply