Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Editor's Note; Lynn Leahey's Days Thoughts...
Topic Started: Jul 25 2008, 12:37 AM (1,796 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

e83talus
Jul 25 2008, 12:49 PM

If SOD Editors think this is great they don't have a clue because traditional days fans (which I count as one as I have watched since 1986) don't like this BS! That is why we have tuned out because Days has not listened to word we have said to them since our initial displeasure with the s/l's since May.
How in the world can you speak for "traditional" Days fans? I started watching in 1975 or so. The times you consider "traditional" are the years I QUIT watching. If you really want traditional, then Doug and Julie should still be the top couple on the show.
OK, I'm stopping before I get in trouble....but it's phraseology (like Mayor Shinn would say) such as "THE fans" or even "THE traditional fans", lumping everyone in one big pot, that really get my goat. It's as bad as using ratings as the be-all and end-all measurement.
In other words, the fans who aren't the so-called "traditional" fans merit no consideration?
OK, I promised I'd stop................. :soapbox:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:22 PM
FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 10:25 AM
Various people at SOD do this everytime there is a new writer or producer. They loved Reilly and then as fast as you can blink, they didn't. Same with Hogan and so many others. One minute they are tripping over themselves to tell us how good the show is and then the next week, they are outraged at how bad it is. Which is it?

SOD loves Days because their magazines with Days on the cover sells, hence the number of covers Days gets which is odd considering the ratings. Therefore, you can bet that the editors are going to kiss everything that Corday has to keep on his good side.
I disagree. They never loved Hogan. Never. Days barely got rewarded under Hogan, even when he penned superb stuff. The first 3 months of Hogan's reign he got a few accolades but that was it. The next time Days got any credit under him was John's death and Belle admitting the truth about her affair to Shawn.

SOD seems to award plot-driven stuff more then character-driven and that is a big issue I have with them. Look no further then it's praise of OLTL. Sure, it rewarded some of the bigger things like Nash's death and Rex and Adriana's wedding but no credit is being given for anything else. I'm noty saying they deserve an editor's choice every week but it seems like they are almost being forced to praise it rather then wanting too whereas they freely praise shows like GH, ATWT, etc which are in some trouble right now and are definitely not up to quality standards.

I think SOD knows they will get Days covers regardless because Corday views it as good promotion. Sure, it's possible he is bribing them or forcing them to praise Days but SOD has been praising Higley's work since January (even when it wasn't clear she was writing). They made it known in Corday's interview in April, which formally introduced Higley, that they enjoyed her work in the first four months of the year so I do think they genuinely are enjoying her writing. Then again, they also liked the majority of Langan's writing so we shouldn't be surprised at the way they do things :laugh: .
I thought they did praise Hogan especially in the beginning. Maybe i'm wrong but that is not my point. Days sells magazines so does GH and ATWT, why who knows, maybe its because those shows focus on a few characters and make them the stars of the show and market the hell out of them. That is just my point, these guys are in the business of selling mags so they play nice nice with the shows that make them money.

The mere fact that every six months since the decision was made to bring the dead back and stick them on Melaswen the mags with a straight face would have a headline to the effect 'PLAN TO SAVE DAYS' and let Corday go on and on about how the fans would love it without once, saying, 'Ken, you said that 6 months ago and people are still unhappy so you are full of shit shows where their focus is. These mags aren't meant to be critiques or objective, they are the opinions of a few and everything else is to sell, sell, sell. I don't blame them for that but I think their words and opinions are taken to have more weight than they actually do. Why should any of their opinions mean an iota more than mine? They don't and I don't agree with them most of the time. They are biased as Bill O'Reilly.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 07:49 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 25 2008, 12:22 PM
FanODays
Jul 25 2008, 10:25 AM
Various people at SOD do this everytime there is a new writer or producer. They loved Reilly and then as fast as you can blink, they didn't. Same with Hogan and so many others. One minute they are tripping over themselves to tell us how good the show is and then the next week, they are outraged at how bad it is. Which is it?

SOD loves Days because their magazines with Days on the cover sells, hence the number of covers Days gets which is odd considering the ratings. Therefore, you can bet that the editors are going to kiss everything that Corday has to keep on his good side.
I disagree. They never loved Hogan. Never. Days barely got rewarded under Hogan, even when he penned superb stuff. The first 3 months of Hogan's reign he got a few accolades but that was it. The next time Days got any credit under him was John's death and Belle admitting the truth about her affair to Shawn.

SOD seems to award plot-driven stuff more then character-driven and that is a big issue I have with them. Look no further then it's praise of OLTL. Sure, it rewarded some of the bigger things like Nash's death and Rex and Adriana's wedding but no credit is being given for anything else. I'm noty saying they deserve an editor's choice every week but it seems like they are almost being forced to praise it rather then wanting too whereas they freely praise shows like GH, ATWT, etc which are in some trouble right now and are definitely not up to quality standards.

I think SOD knows they will get Days covers regardless because Corday views it as good promotion. Sure, it's possible he is bribing them or forcing them to praise Days but SOD has been praising Higley's work since January (even when it wasn't clear she was writing). They made it known in Corday's interview in April, which formally introduced Higley, that they enjoyed her work in the first four months of the year so I do think they genuinely are enjoying her writing. Then again, they also liked the majority of Langan's writing so we shouldn't be surprised at the way they do things :laugh: .
I thought they did praise Hogan especially in the beginning. Maybe i'm wrong but that is not my point. Days sells magazines so does GH and ATWT, why who knows, maybe its because those shows focus on a few characters and make them the stars of the show and market the hell out of them. That is just my point, these guys are in the business of selling mags so they play nice nice with the shows that make them money.

The mere fact that every six months since the decision was made to bring the dead back and stick them on Melaswen the mags with a straight face would have a headline to the effect 'PLAN TO SAVE DAYS' and let Corday go on and on about how the fans would love it without once, saying, 'Ken, you said that 6 months ago and people are still unhappy so you are full of shit shows where their focus is. These mags aren't meant to be critiques or objective, they are the opinions of a few and everything else is to sell, sell, sell. I don't blame them for that but I think their words and opinions are taken to have more weight than they actually do. Why should any of their opinions mean an iota more than mine? They don't and I don't agree with them most of the time. They are biased as Bill O'Reilly.
Actually, for once I will stick up for the mags. Stephanie Sloane has called Corday out numerous times on how he said something and it never happened. I still recall her calling him out last summer on how he lied about Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena seeing more airtime. She called him out and he admitted she got him. He lied. Sloane does a decent job. It's the ones who write the critical pieces like Leahey, Hinsey, etc that are the problems IMO.

The "PLAN TO SAVE DAYS" headlines have been a tradition well before Melaswen and JER's run. We began seeing them at the end of Langan's run after we had 3 months of nonstop teens. That was the first time and since then we've gotten one at least once a year.

Deleted User
Deleted User

e83talus
Jul 25 2008, 12:49 PM
I have no idea where these people come from. I am a J&M fan but I can tell you that the show as a whole was good from October 2007 May 2008. May sweeps and Dena Higley started to play ring around the beds with all of the couples, when she wasn't simply making them disaapear or have infomercials about Midol and Greening. This show is currently awful. The John storyline was at a virtual stand still from Ferbruary to May right up until he was arrested. Payla was in a f/b storyline that abruptly ended in a conflict that caused their fans to be very upset and request and ask for a writing fix. Dan and Chelsea disturb many viewers, not that they don't have a few fans but take a look at the boards. Stax disgust people completely. Once again look around at the many complaints from all fanbases and general fans. I have no idea where Cloe and Lucas came from but they expect us to root for this copuple when there was no build up.

I see a lot of people complain about Days fans being too picky however take a look at the show in January and February and what we have now and the difference in quality stories is what you will see. I watched entire shows during these months which included the sorority s/l, Shelle, Phloe, J&M, Bope, and Payla trying to get pregnant. There was a little something for everyone. What we have now is sex between virtual strangers and I could not follow a single s/l if I was watching because they keep getting turned around every other week.

In May Ej was reformed and in love with Sami. Now he is bad and chasing Nicole.
In May John & Marlena were trying to find a way to deal with each other and their new relationship and now John could not care less about Marlena and she is running around after some stupid disc.
In May Max was an angry genius and now he is looking for a sister he never knew he had (Huh?).
In May we were supposed to believe that Daniel was falling in Love with young Chelsea but now he had a fling with Kate.

If SOD Editors think this is great they don't have a clue because traditional days fans (which I count as one as I have watched since 1986) don't like this BS! That is why we have tuned out because Days has not listened to word we have said to them since our initial displeasure with the s/l's since May.
ICAM!

I had been watching Days non stop since 2006. In mid June, I stopped when it became clear that the direction of not only my favorite storyline, but other stories, had taken a U-turn. I was unable to understand why characters' behavior suddenly shifted. Ed Scott mentioned Days' becoming a character-based soap opera -- I don't see it. I see moving from plot point A to plot point B with no purpose except to have events happen and to upset the apple cart, so to speak. Before, even when the show was bad, I'd still tune in to see my favorite characters. But now, that's not enough because they aren't the characters I fell in love with. I can't watch them without feeling sick to my stomach now. As a result, I won't sit through other stories I have little or no interest in (like I used to) because the one story I was into has vaporized.

To make a long story short, I don't know whether it's Corday, Higley or the janitor, but someone has messed up Days for this viewer beyond repair. I read boards to see what's going on, hoping to see something that will draw me back. Maybe Stefano, but I'm afraid that his character will be destroyed too after no time. Sorry to be such a downer, but I feel as if a show that I had invested a lot of time in has given me the finger.
Quote Post Goto Top

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

miou07
Jul 26 2008, 10:40 AM

To make a long story short, I don't know whether it's Corday, Higley or the janitor, but someone has messed up Days for this viewer beyond repair. I read boards to see what's going on, hoping to see something that will draw me back. Maybe Stefano, but I'm afraid that his character will be destroyed too after no time. Sorry to be such a downer, but I feel as if a show that I had invested a lot of time in has given me the finger.
:applause: Great post! That is how I feel too.

Mason
Member Avatar

I just have two words in response to Lynn Leahey.

GAG. ME.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply