Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena Higley QUITS SUDS REPORT EXCLUSIVE; Breaking News TVGC; ATWT actor FIRED
Topic Started: Jul 26 2008, 06:10 PM (110,699 Views)
jules

ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2008, 07:48 PM
DolceDiMera
Jul 31 2008, 01:37 PM
I guess my problem with this is that mail volume does not reflect what the majority of fans want, because the majority of fans don't write in. I know I sure dont!
EXACTLY!!! I daresay most viewers don't post on boards, either. Or buy SOD.
Plus (and yes, I'll get reamed for it, but big deal).......I'm willing to bet the SAME people post, write, and call MULTIPLE times. I know there's someone who calls every day. ;)
Yes, on boards there are people who more than one username. There are people with more than one e-mail address. (Terry, anyone?). What's to keep someone really, er, 'passionate' from writing multiple letters, using the names of relatives and their addresses?
I think, if I was a power-that-be, letters than have one tone or negative letters would go in the trash. If a viewer can't get beyond one character or couple and are negative in their tone, do they really have the show's best interest at heart? Or their own agenda? I would think people who constantly harangue the studio without even considering the fact that these things take at least a month to execute don't have the show's best interest at heart. That's just my viewpoint. But again, bringing in my life as a teacher, the parent who barrages us about their kid without listening to all sides, or without hearing what the child can do to improve, or gets all bully and defensive...that parent doesn't get very far.
Whereas (back to TV), viewers who write in starting with a compliment on what they like then making positively toned suggestions.....viewers who acknowledge other characters....viewers who know how to criticize without being mean or snarky....I'll bet their views go a lot further.
Sure,people have the right to criticize and use a nasty mean tone BUT does that necessarily make it right?
OK, off the soapbox again.
All tptb need to do is look at the ratings to see what's working and what's not working.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

OneBadKitty
Jul 31 2008, 06:52 PM
Sindacco
Jul 31 2008, 06:47 PM
ges
Jul 31 2008, 02:07 PM
I think the actress that plays Nicole is the secret actress. She is in every freaking scene and storyline.
God she is annoying. And when is Nelson going to say something. Anything? Do you think at some point he has to address the breaking story that he put out there? One way or the other I want to know what happened. If this is how Higley saved her ass from the chopping block and got away with it, I will be pissed.
No she's not. You're just saying that because you're an Ejami fan and you feel threatened by her.
That's silly. Why would anyone, Ejami fan or otherwise, feel threatened by an actress they don't know? People spend way too much time overthinking this stuff.
Actually, no. It happens quite a bit. Some folks blur the lines between reality and fiction. I don't know if it pertains to this case, but it happens, and it's often very obvious. I'm sorry, but if I read criticism about a character or actress, I put more stock in the thoughts and opinion if it's not coming from someone who is a member of an "opposing" fanbase. That's how much fanbase wars have burned me. I just consider it good old fashioned objectivity.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Dr. Chip
Jul 31 2008, 07:36 PM
And what about all the outcry from fans, message-board posts, e-mails, etc., from people who sometimes aren't even watching the show? :-)
Don't even get me started on those people........................ :soapbox: :soapbox:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tricky
Jul 31 2008, 07:39 PM
Dr. Chip
And what about all the outcry from fans, message-board posts, e-mails, etc., from people who sometimes aren't even watching the show? :-)
i do that if the show is not giving me what makes me happy and excited and interested to watch, i spend that hour writing out letters/emails/phone calls...i cant just stay silent and go away or i might never achieve what i need to see on dool.
What if what you want to see doesn't mesh with the majority or the best interest of the show?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Pearly_Moon
ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2008, 07:32 PM
If a fan doesn't even try to take all points and factors into consideration as much as possible, that fan is rather unfair.
WORD, WORD AND WORD!!!!

Lady, I hope your recupe is short and sweet. :tink:
Thanks, Pearly! I'm actually doing pretty well. The worst pain wasn't from the surgery....it was from the damn headache I got from caffeine withdrawal because I wasn't allowed to eat or drink since midnight. No coffee!!!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tricky
Jul 31 2008, 07:41 PM
i dont think i am being unfair, just cause i dont watch something that upsets me, make me sad sometimes even has depressed me totally, i watch a soap for the happy factor if i dont watch cause its not giving entertainment i hope that dont make me unfair....they should write things better.
If you allow a TV show to get you depressed....well, let's just say you shouldn't. There is more to life.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
DolceDiMera
I guess my problem with this is that mail volume does not reflect what the majority of fans want, because the majority of fans don't write in. I know I sure dont!
Plus (and yes, I'll get reamed for it, but big deal).......I'm willing to bet the SAME people post, write, and call MULTIPLE times. I know there's someone who calls every day. ;)
Yes, on boards there are people who more than one username. There are people with more than one e-mail address. (Terry, anyone?). What's to keep someone really, er, 'passionate' from writing multiple letters, using the names of relatives and their addresses?
I think, if I was a power-that-be, letters than have one tone or negative letters would go in the trash. If a viewer can't get beyond one character or couple and are negative in their tone, do they really have the show's best interest at heart? Or their own agenda? I would think people who constantly harangue the studio without even considering the fact that these things take at least a month to execute don't have the show's best interest at heart. That's just my viewpoint. But again, bringing in my life as a teacher, the parent who barrages us about their kid without listening to all sides, or without hearing what the child can do to improve, or gets all bully and defensive...that parent doesn't get very far.
Whereas (back to TV), viewers who write in starting with a compliment on what they like then making positively toned suggestions.....viewers who acknowledge other characters....viewers who know how to criticize without being mean or snarky....I'll bet their views go a lot further.
Sure,people have the right to criticize and use a nasty mean tone BUT does that necessarily make it right?
I know for a fact that it happens, you can just go on the fansites/couple sites and see that that is what some people do, they even plot together, lol. Again, all it takes is a few from a fanbase who are willing to be the most industrious and it can give TPTB the impression that this is what most people want, especially in the case of the internet, if TPTB are just looking at one or two boards, the boards where the fanbases decide to flood.

Ellie

deefanUBS
Jul 31 2008, 07:51 PM
OneBadKitty
Jul 31 2008, 06:51 PM
I hope Nelson is not in hot water for publishing any of it.
I hope just the opposite. The man had no business shooting his mouth off the way he did - making such drama out of something that isn't anything close to what he made it out to be. This sort of attention certainly isn't anything DAYS needs right now. And really, all he did was make allegations. Show me the proof and maybe I will listen!
I completely disagree. Without journalists like Nelson willing to go after and share information, we'd be in the dark. I have no problem with the fact that he can't name his sources - many other journalists have to gather information on condition of anonymity. I would hope that if the reports turn out to be incorrect, Nelson would share that with us as well, but if he has information he has verified, I'm very honored that he's shared it with us. The shows need to be held accountable for what goes on, and one way that takes place is through news reports like this one.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jules
Jul 31 2008, 07:57 PM
ladyofthelake
DolceDiMera
All tptb need to do is look at the ratings to see what's working and what's not working.
Oh, now THERE'S an accurate measurement. Not.
OK, ratings are measured by a percentage. Ratings do not take into consideration folks who watch SoapNet. Folks who get cable DVR instead of Tivo. Folks who videotape. Folks who don't have a Nielson box. I've seen it mentioned several times, too, about quality shows that had low ratings. There have been wonderful posts and arguments against relying on the almighty ratings.
Yeah, the sun rises and sets on ratings, but it makes absolutely no sense to do so.

Tricky
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2008, 08:01 PM
Tricky
Dr. Chip
i do that if the show is not giving me what makes me happy and excited and interested to watch, i spend that hour writing out letters/emails/phone calls...i cant just stay silent and go away or i might never achieve what i need to see on dool.
What if what you want to see doesn't mesh with the majority or the best interest of the show?
lady, i just dont see that happening with the one couple i want the most...the love spreads for them in most places like a wildfire...i mean gaining fans thru the most horrible writing ever...they should at least try cause what they been doing the last two months is a disaster. what do they have to loose just trying it out?

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jul 31 2008, 08:08 PM
Oh, now THERE'S an accurate measurement. Not.
OK, ratings are measured by a percentage. Ratings do not take into consideration folks who watch SoapNet. Folks who get cable DVR instead of Tivo. Folks who videotape. Folks who don't have a Nielson box. I've seen it mentioned several times, too, about quality shows that had low ratings. There have been wonderful posts and arguments against relying on the almighty ratings.
Yeah, the sun rises and sets on ratings, but it makes absolutely no sense to do so.
For the networks it does make sense because ad revenues are how they make money.

The networks are about bottomlines. If 11 million people are really watching a show but it's split 4 million for the network and 2 million for the cable station and 5 million internationally - all the network can charge their advertisers for is the 4 million viewers so they don't care about the rest because their advertisers only care about how many people are seeing their commercial not about how many people in the world watch the show.

That's why advertising is going to slowly make its way into the actual context of the actual show because now that ad can be see everywhere the show goes. We've seen it already and will see a lot more of it.

deefanUBS

Ellie
Jul 31 2008, 08:06 PM
deefanUBS
Jul 31 2008, 07:51 PM
OneBadKitty
Jul 31 2008, 06:51 PM
I hope Nelson is not in hot water for publishing any of it.
I hope just the opposite. The man had no business shooting his mouth off the way he did - making such drama out of something that isn't anything close to what he made it out to be. This sort of attention certainly isn't anything DAYS needs right now. And really, all he did was make allegations. Show me the proof and maybe I will listen!
I completely disagree. Without journalists like Nelson willing to go after and share information, we'd be in the dark. I have no problem with the fact that he can't name his sources - many other journalists have to gather information on condition of anonymity. I would hope that if the reports turn out to be incorrect, Nelson would share that with us as well, but if he has information he has verified, I'm very honored that he's shared it with us. The shows need to be held accountable for what goes on, and one way that takes place is through news reports like this one.
His sources obviously aren't reliable, as on Friday he had us all thinking Higley had been fired and when that was discovered to be false info, he began backpedaling.

I want facts. If it turns out Mr. Scott and Ms. Sweeney are deep in this, I would actually thank Mr. Scott for putting his job on the line in an effort to save what is left of DAYS. But for the news to break, written in a tabloid, very one-side fashion?! Yeah, that isn't the way to go about doing it.

I found it to be very irresponsible and disrespectful for Nelson to break the news in that form. I honestly wouldn't blame DAYS if they never gave him any info again.
Edited by deefanUBS, Jul 31 2008, 08:26 PM.

Dragonish1
Member Avatar

This is my thing...If I want something I go get it, and If I can not get it myself I ask for it. If ppl do not want to write in and give their views and opines on the show, fine...but not get mad becuase ppl who took the time to do so did, and got the results they wanted. 9 times out of 10 if I ask for something in life, I get it...just saying....* In James Earl Jones Voice* "If You Write to TPTB the sls you want will come"
Edited by Dragonish1, Jul 31 2008, 08:39 PM.

Mason

Anything big happen today? This thread stopped being riveting at least 30 pages ago, LoL.

ges
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jul 31 2008, 06:59 PM
Some ejamis fans feel threatened by Nicole, so they like to bash her. Just like J&M fans like to attack Ava.
actually I genuinely find her annoying. I also find Ava annoying and I don't care one way or the other about Jarlena.
We all have our preferences. Those are the two people on the show that I find annnoying. jmho. :wow:

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I still find this thread riveting and IMO even better than it was before. Sure I loved the scandal as much as the next person, but to me when you can finally get some good discussion going about the show that is more riveting to me than a scandal. So I have actually enjoyed the last 30 or so pages more than the others - esp. when we can inject some ideas and talk about history too.

As to the person pointing fingers at one fanbase etc., I know it will surprise some I say this since I have been in some of the arguments here on some things before.

But anyway the point I am getting to is yes that fan base points fingers or bashes a certain character. That fan base also attacks Lucas. Lucas' fanbase attacks EJ and so on and so on and so on.

And it is not just Days that has that problem either.

And again it goes back to what we have been talking about they are listening to what they feel is the majority and due to the majority speaking out about certain characters decisions have been made on DAys and other shows that have cost us some very good characters in the last few years and have ended up hurting the shows.

For instance the Zendell fan base went all out to get rid of Dixie - to get her out of Zendell's zone. AMC listened and found Dixie expendable. It is a decision that has hurt AMC big time.

ATWT could have had a great black villianess with the black girl that was Rose's daughter or supposed to be (sorry I forgot her name), but they put her in Willen's orbit and Willen fought back. The character was seen as dispensible and we were robbed of a great character that could have been very useful to the show.

Those are just 2 examples.

I think that Hogan and gang found EJ dispensible. I admit I liked EJ when they brought him on and they could have had a good villian with him - an old fashioned charismatic villian like Roger Thorpe on GL if they had continued to write him as he was being written in the beginning.

But when they turned it around and had him rape Sami and shoot John and the other stuff with him being so mean and nasty - the character was ruined for me. I think they felt EJ was dispensible and that is the reason they tried to sacrifice him and in the end ruined him as a character for me. The back and forth in his character over the last year has not helped at all.

I think with the Lumi and EJami thing is the perfect example where they show they don't know what they want or what they are going to do - they have an equal amount of fans of both couples and both Lucas and EJ and they are trying to straddle the fence.

In this case they need to make a decision and I think the right decision is to move all the characters involved into brand new directions - there is no way to win by keeping all 3 of those characters in the same orbit. But I don't think they will.

It just all boils down to bad decision making and listening to fans and giving into fans too much.

Drew
Member Avatar

Hergie23
Jul 30 2008, 09:53 PM
Drew
Jul 30 2008, 08:53 PM
I dont get why some fans are still trying to force John and Marlena on us all when even the actors playing them dont even want to be coupled anymore.
Well I don't think that is true. Drake is having fun with his new character but they both know the importance of their coupling. They always have. And they both know they will end up together in the end. And I know Dee is a big supporter. If they weren't still very important to the show, then the play-by-play of their story would not be on the cover of the mags every week. Not that it should matter what the actors want anyway, as demonstrated by this so-called Diva who is claiming to write the show. They are paid to act, not write.
then why was he holding chats to get people to throw their support behind Jate???

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Jul 31 2008, 08:38 PM
This is my thing...If I want something I go get it, and If I can not get it myself I ask for it. If ppl do not want to write in and give their views and opines on the show, fine...but not get mad becuase ppl who took the time to do so did, and got the results they wanted. 9 times out of 10 if I ask for something in life, I get it...just saying....* In James Earl Jones Voice* "If You Write to TPTB the sls you want will come"
:hail: :rockon:

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Drew
Jul 31 2008, 10:01 PM
Hergie23
Jul 30 2008, 09:53 PM
Drew
Jul 30 2008, 08:53 PM
I dont get why some fans are still trying to force John and Marlena on us all when even the actors playing them dont even want to be coupled anymore.
Well I don't think that is true. Drake is having fun with his new character but they both know the importance of their coupling. They always have. And they both know they will end up together in the end. And I know Dee is a big supporter. If they weren't still very important to the show, then the play-by-play of their story would not be on the cover of the mags every week. Not that it should matter what the actors want anyway, as demonstrated by this so-called Diva who is claiming to write the show. They are paid to act, not write.
then why was he holding chats to get people to throw their support behind Jate???
And fan events too. Of course, this was a while back and things could've changed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Steve Frame
Jul 31 2008, 05:42 PM
This listening to the fans thing is what is the biggest thing wrong with soaps now.

Yes they do need to listen to fans to see what is working and what is not.

But in the end they need to have the brains enough to know they need to decided what is best for the show in the long run. They are now making way too many decisions by letting the fans hold the show hostage and changing things for them when they are not good for the show.

Irna Phillips listened to her fans and so did Irving Vendig and others, but they did not let them control the show.

When Irna killed off Kathy on GL in 1958, that was the first big fan outcry - millions of letters and phone calls stormed the studio in protest to bring her back or undo it somehow. Today a producer would change that but Irna and Lucy Ferri didn't. They addressed the situation that death happens in life and that it happens there too.

The same things happened when Sara Karr was killed on EON in the early 60's, and then the biggest outcry ever was when Jeff Baker was killed in a car crash on ATWT in 1962. That was termed by the newspapers - one of the first times that soap news was picked up by the mainstream press - they called it the car crash heard around the world or something to that affect.

Today the outcry would have caused those deaths to be undone - story rewritten and the like. But it didn't back then. They stood firm with the decision.

As Matt said many times fans think they know what they want and what is best for the show, but many fans have their own agenda at heart and not what is best for the show overall.
Bravo! :hail:

You hit the nail right on the head, Steve, with this post and your last post on the subject.

Fans are important. However, it should never EVER come to a point where fans CONTROL a show. The fans aren't paid to make decisions. The writers and producers are. The idea is to take feedback (and by this I mean rational feedback and not stuff from nut jobs like Terry and so on) and talk it over and determine what can be done in the best interest of the show based on the feedback as a whole. The results won't always be happy for some fans but that's life. It's happened alot. It's been happening on soaps and on any show for that matter for years.

For example (and I will use a Days one just for the hell of it), look at the Brady/Chloe/Philip triangle. Both pairings had major fanbases. Nearly ever poll had it at 50/50. No matter what Days did then they were pissing someone off. yes, JKJ leaving made it easier to choose a direction but you could tell they committed to Broe even before that. The writing was on the wall. They made a decision and stuck to their guns, despite some being pissed. It wasn't the end of the road. Look at what Days in the 90's. It made a decision to change it's storytelling style with JER and go for the supernatural, campy, Gothic stuff. It made many fans angry but they committed to it, despite it being detrimental in the long run. Again, in 2003, Days decided to take a risk on the SSK story. Sure, it flopped but for awhile they made a commitment to something and pissed off fans but...what happened? The ratings went up for months and it was when they started changing direction and chickening out that the show went downhill and turned to crap. I'm pleased we got those dead characters back but it's that shit that has messed with Days more then any other show.

What Days does is they look at feedback in letters, on boards, and what not and act on it. What happens then? Well, that action most of the time pisses off another group of fans and Days acts to rectify that and that reaction pisses off another group of fans and the cycle continues on and on. What Days needs to accept is you can't please every fan and what fans need to accept is sometimes what you want is not in the best interest of the show. The show needs to be more important then any one couple or character. Basically, the whole is greater then the sum of it's parts. That was the mentality for all soaps all the way up to around 2000 and the explosion of the message board age and rabid fanbases and so on.

Days needs to commit to things. No more backpedaling at a hint of fan dissension. They need to take risks like they have in the past. All soaps need to do this. Days and it's kneejerk reactions are the reason why the show has become a watered down mess and never has any consistency. Stick with a story and, even if it sucks, wait for it to end and don't forget it happened. Try to use some of it to further a better story or something. Too often Days will just drop a story as a reaction to fan upset and you don't hear of it again. That doesn't help at all.

It's simple.

1.) Analyze the show and feedback as a whole.
2.) Use feedback and discuss what is best for the show, making decisions on feedback in context of what is best for the show.
3.) Come up with story.
4.) Follow through on story COMPLETELY unless it is found offensive in some way or some unusual circumstance prevents you from doing so.
5.) if a story is a failure, see it through to the end and try to see if adjustments can be made to use aspects of the story to further something else. Don't just wipe it away like it never happened. That just makes it worse.

That is the way to go. The other issue is it's hard for Days to even gauge what the fans want when, like I said, any move they make ends up pissing other fans off and many fans change what direction they want the show to go in all the time. That is why it needs to understand that it can't please everyone and the issue is I think Corday wants too and that is a problem. Other soaps have it easy. Their fans just want quality stories featuring beloved characters. Many Days fans just want THEIR couple together and want the perfect story for THEIR couple or just want to see a certain character or actor every day or want one type of storytelling one day and then the next want something else and so on. It's not even about the show for some. Well, it's time that happens. It's time ALL fans start considering what is best for the show. Does that mean you have to forget about wanting what you want? Not at all. I just think everything needs to be looked at with the show's best interest at heart. I think fans need to voice their opinion in sensible ways (like the way opinions on this board are voiced) and in ways that come off like they want to help the show. Fans need to make it known it's not just about their own individual interests. It's not about their couple coming out on top of another fanbase's couple. It's about the show. If you feel your couple being together is in the best interest of the show, fine. Tell the show that. Make some points to them and explain why you feel that way and why you think the future is bright for the show with that couple being together. That is what I mean. It can't be "Put Ejami together. They're hot and Days needs romance." It needs to be more then that. It needs to be like "I feel Ejami is important to the show and it's future because they add a special quality to the show. I feel the whole Brady/Dimera dynamic will be interesting if these two end up together. It would change everything..." and then you can go on to talk about potential angles that can be played. Hell, help the show a bit because it;s not easy shifting through all the feedback and trying to get an accurate read of things. Specifics will help.

Fans do need to understand that they may not always get the same result, especially if they have faves in a triangle. Someone has to lose. If fans are only watching for their couple, so be it. It's their choice if they want to keep watching. Many fans are fans of the show and will stick around but some will bolt if they don't get an outcome they like and that is fine. It happens and maybe some day something will draw them back. Not everyone can end up happy. Days straddled the fence on Ejami and Lumi for so long because they were afraid to piss one side off. That can't happen. Someone has to lose and the show needs to commit to one side or have both lose and fans need to understand that both sides can't win.

I know this was long but I just hate the whole mentality of only thinking about what each individual wants and not what other fans want and what is best for the show. What we want might not be what is best and that is hard to deal with but it's the way things are. It's the nature of the beast. If a fan can't deal with that, then they can choose not to watch and that's understandable. I just think the bigger picture needs to be looked at by some fans because some haven't clearly done that in a long time, if at all.

I think the show knows what works. I really do because they do go back to the formula that works at times but break from that. Why? Well, I do think incompetence comes into play but I also think the show's kneejerk reactions are a big reason as well. They see some fans upset and change direction, as I've mentioned repeatedly. There were some out there that hated B&C's stuff. There were some that even hated the stuff that we had in January and February. Corday and the show's obsession with trying to please everyone is what screws everything up. He will listen to the wrong fans at times and it's get him in trouble until the cycle goes again. It's just neverending and has been for easily nearly a decade now.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 1 2008, 02:17 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply