Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena Higley QUITS ó SUDS REPORT EXCLUSIVE; Breaking News ó TVGC; ATWT actor FIRED
Topic Started: Jul 26 2008, 06:10 PM (112,236 Views)
imissstefano
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 1 2008, 08:42 AM
I also recall the nasty, nasty, DAMN nasty things that happened at fan events in reaction to this and cannot even comprehend the vasty immaturity of a bunch of so-called grown-ups that consider themselves "adults"
and yet...here you are three years later bringing up that which you claim should be over. hmmm.....

What is it that you recall exactly? What was reported on interent boards, or were you actually there? Well, I was there and can give you a play by play of exactly what went down that night, and no...none of it was "nasty" in the sense that you are stating. The root of the problems that night started with Debby O'Connor, for which she was subsequently fired by Drake.

So, did you have any specific questions? The only negativity or problems came from Debby and Drake, the people that attended the event merely reacted to the bullshit being flung at them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

ges
Jul 31 2008, 02:07 PM
I think the actress that plays Nicole is the secret actress. She is in every freaking scene and storyline.
God she is annoying. And when is Nelson going to say something. Anything? Do you think at some point he has to address the breaking story that he put out there? One way or the other I want to know what happened. If this is how Higley saved her ass from the chopping block and got away with it, I will be pissed.
I may agree. Nicole is really getting to show her range with this story. But you know, Ali, I could never see doing this (being 'the diva') so that's why I find it funny when others say they could never see Dee or anyone else be the diva, based on all their interviews and everything else. This is GOING to be someone none of us would suspect, I'd take it. Not everyone shows 100 percent of themselves to the world.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

imissstefano
Aug 1 2008, 01:20 PM
ladyofthelake
I also recall the nasty, nasty, DAMN nasty things that happened at fan events in reaction to this and cannot even comprehend the vasty immaturity of a bunch of so-called grown-ups that consider themselves "adults"
and yet...here you are three years later bringing up that which you claim should be over. hmmm.....

What is it that you recall exactly? What was reported on interent boards, or were you actually there? Well, I was there and can give you a play by play of exactly what went down that night, and no...none of it was "nasty" in the sense that you are stating. The root of the problems that night started with Debby O'Connor, for which she was subsequently fired by Drake.

So, did you have any specific questions? The only negativity or problems came from Debby and Drake, the people that attended the event merely reacted to the bullshit being flung at them.
It's amazing how someone who wasn't even there is still bringing it up and still trying to smear an entire fan base based on rumors she gathered from one side of the story. :lol:

imissstefano
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Aug 1 2008, 01:45 PM
imissstefano
Aug 1 2008, 01:20 PM
ladyofthelake

It's amazing how someone who wasn't even there is still bringing it up and still trying to smear an entire fan base based on rumors she gathered from one side of the story. :lol:
Actually, what started as a disgusting time turned into quite the fun event. Peggy McKay gave us a new rap, Kevin Spirtas sang and put on some cabaret act later on in the night, and a multitude of cast members were mingling with the audience. It was really cool. :)

Posted Image

Tricky
Member Avatar

as an ejami fan i have never felt we ran the show...any more than marlena or john or john and marlena fans do we just write in show our love for our couple but we have no real control over what they put on screen...if i did have any control so much stuff that happened between ej and sami would be different that how it played...

on topic, i have no idea who has written the first two weeks of august but i like what i read and want whoever it is to continue writing without interference from corday and working with ed scott!!!

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Did Peggy come in wearing her "Rudolph" red nose? She used to do that all the time, it was so funny.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Pearly_Moon
Aug 1 2008, 12:22 PM
I remember when rooting for ďyour coupleĒ meant crying in front of the TV screen as Payla and Bope said their wedding vows to each other or when Bope fans watched as Bo and Billie made love for the first time and they screamed their lungs out at the TV. Iím sure many of those same people wrote letters to the execs voicing how they agreed or disagreed about that and other decisions. Then came internet and with that message boards, closely followed by fanbase forums. Somewhere along the way, from that point, the lines between reality and fiction have been blurred. Weíve gone from writing a simple letter to someone in the higher-ups of a TV show to radical internet behavior like gay bashing, calling people out as rape lovers/rapists, pedophiles, lunatics, losers etc. etc. I speak from personal experience because I was on both sides of the interchanges at one point or another. What is that shit? I mean when you take it to that kind of an extreme itís no wonder people lose respect for each other. Itís a fucking fictional show for Peteís sake! Then you have the infamous fanbase wars, which I am embarrassed to say I have participated in, in the past. Luckily, I have figured out I had a brain, I used it and am no longer involved in that kind of petty crap.

Let me preface the following statement Iím going to make by saying that I am not pointing a finger to any particular fanbase, this is a generalized statement about ALL of them.

Basically, the writers listen to one fanbase, then the opposing one steps in and you have a virtual tug-of-war going on with the writers in the middle [insert political cartoon here]. One fanbase doesnít get what they want, they stop watching. Then if the other doesnít get what they want, they stop watching. Then you wonder why the ratings are in the slumps. Itís not right and itís not fair to the show itself. At this point, I think itís really just too late altogether and thatís why soaps will never be the same in general. The writers have allowed the fanbases to dictate the shows to the point that they are in an inevitable downward spiral. I can only speak for Days because itís the only soap I watch, but Iím pretty sure that the ratings are shitty at the moment due to the writing for ALL characters sucking ass. :lol: Itís not the power of one fanbase over another right now with Days IMO. Iím sure Days lost a lot of viewers when word got out that Higley was the new writer either way.

At any event, I will use myself as an example. I have been a LONG TIME Sami fan, I will continue to root for her to see the light and be with EJ and I hope that they are endgame. Now, am I gonna stop watching the show because they decide to have EJ and Nicole have a romp in an elevator. No. In reality, the guy has been after Sami for two fucking years, sheís given him the run around more times than I care to mention, it gets tiresome. Does he still love her? Yes. Does he love him? Itís obvious she does. I donít want to watch this merry go round any more though. Let him have his fun. Sami has ALWAYS had a couple of screws loose and needs psychiatric help. Until SHE gets her shit together EJami will NEVER happen.

With that being said, my point to all of this is that the fans that are truly a fan of the show itself would see past all of this and work together with other fans that may not be rooting for the same couple to SAVE DAYS from further ratings slumps. The show is what truly matters, if you donít have that you donít have a couple to root for period.
Great post, Pearly! That sums is up just perfectly!

The thing is, soaps are a revolving story and eventually, almost every couple will get together and break up, and if it is done right, we should enjoy almost every pairing if it is written true to character.

If you watch it and don't like it, fine. Turn it off and do something else with your time. If you don't watch it because you are trying to stick it to the writer's and ratings because you aren't patient and getting what you want, if I were a writer, I wouldn't write for you anyways. :shame:

Again, great summary, Pearly.

Oh, and Nelson kind of clears up this whole thread topic in his new post on the first page. Basically, nothing on Days has changed, nobody is fired, and the "diva" in question will never be revealed. So pretty much all for nothing. :shrug:

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

ges
Aug 1 2008, 09:04 AM
Do they really listen to the fans? I guess the evidence that they do is that they are bringing Stephano back. But that to me is more because the actor was discussing how poorly he thought he was treated. So I guess they are pushed around by fans and actors, too. And her I was thinking they were listening to the strange little voices in their heads. Someone needs to grow a pair over there and write a show that they believe in and have the cojones to stick with it. Nah, that will never happen.

Why the silence from tptb and Nelson regarding riveting revelations. Lawyers? Or just hoping it goes away. Maybe the lawyers can write the show. Jesus.
I don't think Stefano coming back is due to fan outcry but rather ratings. I think Corday is doing it as a ratings ploy. It did help June 2007 (although ratings tanked again afterwards due to the story and quality just not being there) when Stefano returned and maybe it can help now that they have hit new lows again in August 2008.

But if the show is not good - Stefano's return not good - then it won't matter. Ratings might come up for a few weeks but they will go right back down.

I think Corday also tries to give the new headwriter a chance with the vets/names to bring ratings up before he decides to officially let them go. This is Dena's chance to prove herself with the supposed A-list talent available to write stories for. As we see, heavy Jarlena, Bope romance, Stefano's return, throw Tony in the mix. If the writer still can't get the ratings out of the gutter then they are not worth their salt and they are let go.

e83talus
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Aug 1 2008, 02:47 PM
ges
Aug 1 2008, 09:04 AM
Do they really listen to the fans? I guess the evidence that they do is that they are bringing Stephano back. But that to me is more because the actor was discussing how poorly he thought he was treated. So I guess they are pushed around by fans and actors, too. And her I was thinking they were listening to the strange little voices in their heads. Someone needs to grow a pair over there and write a show that they believe in and have the cojones to stick with it. Nah, that will never happen.

Why the silence from tptb and Nelson regarding riveting revelations. Lawyers? Or just hoping it goes away. Maybe the lawyers can write the show. Jesus.
I don't think Stefano coming back is due to fan outcry but rather ratings. I think Corday is doing it as a ratings ploy. It did help June 2007 (although ratings tanked again afterwards due to the story and quality just not being there) when Stefano returned and maybe it can help now that they have hit new lows again in August 2008.

But if the show is not good - Stefano's return not good - then it won't matter. Ratings might come up for a few weeks but they will go right back down.

I think Corday also tries to give the new headwriter a chance with the vets/names to bring ratings up before he decides to officially let them go. This is Dena's chance to prove herself with the supposed A-list talent available to write stories for. As we see, heavy Jarlena, Bope romance, Stefano's return, throw Tony in the mix. If the writer still can't get the ratings out of the gutter then they are not worth their salt and they are let go.
But it isn't going to work if after the Olympics they give us the backburning of Payla, Jarlena, Tanna, Stefano, adventure, intrigue and romance and then give us sex in strange places between characters we aren't invested in like Dan, Melanie and Trent and advertisements for saving the environment or not littering.

I hope they get a clue but I have no faith that they will.

Kyrai

Pearly_Moon
Aug 1 2008, 12:22 PM
I remember when rooting for ďyour coupleĒ meant crying in front of the TV screen as Payla and Bope said their wedding vows to each other or when Bope fans watched as Bo and Billie made love for the first time and they screamed their lungs out at the TV. Iím sure many of those same people wrote letters to the execs voicing how they agreed or disagreed about that and other decisions. Then came internet and with that message boards, closely followed by fanbase forums. Somewhere along the way, from that point, the lines between reality and fiction have been blurred. Weíve gone from writing a simple letter to someone in the higher-ups of a TV show to radical internet behavior like gay bashing, calling people out as rape lovers/rapists, pedophiles, lunatics, losers etc. etc. I speak from personal experience because I was on both sides of the interchanges at one point or another. What is that shit? I mean when you take it to that kind of an extreme itís no wonder people lose respect for each other. Itís a fucking fictional show for Peteís sake! Then you have the infamous fanbase wars, which I am embarrassed to say I have participated in, in the past. Luckily, I have figured out I had a brain, I used it and am no longer involved in that kind of petty crap.

Let me preface the following statement Iím going to make by saying that I am not pointing a finger to any particular fanbase, this is a generalized statement about ALL of them.

Basically, the writers listen to one fanbase, then the opposing one steps in and you have a virtual tug-of-war going on with the writers in the middle [insert political cartoon here]. One fanbase doesnít get what they want, they stop watching. Then if the other doesnít get what they want, they stop watching. Then you wonder why the ratings are in the slumps. Itís not right and itís not fair to the show itself. At this point, I think itís really just too late altogether and thatís why soaps will never be the same in general. The writers have allowed the fanbases to dictate the shows to the point that they are in an inevitable downward spiral. I can only speak for Days because itís the only soap I watch, but Iím pretty sure that the ratings are shitty at the moment due to the writing for ALL characters sucking ass. :lol: Itís not the power of one fanbase over another right now with Days IMO. Iím sure Days lost a lot of viewers when word got out that Higley was the new writer either way.

At any event, I will use myself as an example. I have been a LONG TIME Sami fan, I will continue to root for her to see the light and be with EJ and I hope that they are endgame. Now, am I gonna stop watching the show because they decide to have EJ and Nicole have a romp in an elevator. No. In reality, the guy has been after Sami for two fucking years, sheís given him the run around more times than I care to mention, it gets tiresome. Does he still love her? Yes. Does he love him? Itís obvious she does. I donít want to watch this merry go round any more though. Let him have his fun. Sami has ALWAYS had a couple of screws loose and needs psychiatric help. Until SHE gets her shit together EJami will NEVER happen.

With that being said, my point to all of this is that the fans that are truly a fan of the show itself would see past all of this and work together with other fans that may not be rooting for the same couple to SAVE DAYS from further ratings slumps. The show is what truly matters, if you donít have that you donít have a couple to root for period.
I love this post. I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

No new information here, but what the heck...

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272621859.shtml
Quote:

Soaps: A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days of Our Lives?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Lynda Hirsch
Aug 1, 2008

For weeks I have been trying to get an interview with "Days of Our Lives" Co-Executive Producer Ed Scott. It was going to be an easy chat. Scott was into "being green" over two decades ago when his old soap "Young and Restless" celebrated a "save the earth" green day every year. Now Scott seemed to be "greening" "Days of Our Lives."

Soaps: A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days of Our Lives?

The request for the interview was always answered with, "He is really busy right now." Seemed odd -- this was to be a positive interview about a guy I have known for years and was really an ecological front-runner. So why the "He is so busy right now"? The guy hates me? Nah. Doubt he even thinks about me. Is he afraid the interview will get into the "What's going on in the story line" questions? Nope. Scott would know how to handle those questions if they came up.

Now I know the reason for the "Maybe in a few weeks" answer. Things are not a day at the beach on "Days of Our Lives." There are rumors of a palace coup. It seems Scott is not happy with the show's newly hired head writer Dena Higley.

Higley returned to "Days of our Lives'" writing team after a three-year break from the show. Higley spent three years writing for "One Life To Live." She won a writing Emmy this year for her work. According TV Guide Canada's Nelson Branco, Scott has been rewriting nearly all of Higley's work.

"He's been writing and rewriting story, dialogue and scenes for weeks and weeks," a source told Branco. "He's also encouraged actors, including one overblown diva, to rewrite not just her own lines, but also her scene partners." I know who the unnamed diva is, and she has been doing that for years to all the writers and all her scene partners. The gal even redecorates sets. So her line changing is hardly anything new.

The Writers Guild of America is going to bat for Higley. To add more kindling to the flames, during the writer's strike Higley was writing scripts even though she did not have permission to do so.

Sony Pictures, which owns and distributes "Days," does not want to go head to head with WGA. They want Higley to continue as head writer.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Mason
Jul 30 2008, 08:54 PM
Drew
Jul 30 2008, 08:53 PM
I dont get why some fans are still trying to force John and Marlena on us all when even the actors playing them dont even want to be coupled anymore.
Because for them, without J&M, there is no show, and thus, no reason to continue watching.
I have to disagree. The show functioned fine when DHer left before and it would continue to function without her. It's not the actors it's all about the writers.

No one couple/character should ever have the power to make or break a show.

I barely remember when John and Marlena were entertaining, but that was years ago. Now they're just boring and I couldn't care less about Marlena and John.

OTOH, Drake has taken a character who was totally played out and turned him into someone who's exciting again. Someone I flove to watch. He's brand spanking new and the possibilities are endless.

Too bad Deidre can't have that same option.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 03:47 PM
Mason
Drew
I dont get why some fans are still trying to force John and Marlena on us all when even the actors playing them dont even want to be coupled anymore.
Because for them, without J&M, there is no show, and thus, no reason to continue watching.
I have to disagree. The show functioned fine when DHer left before and it would continue to function without her. It's not the actors it's all about the writers.

I barely remember when John and Marlena were entertaining, but that was years ago. Now they're just boring and I couldn't care less about Marlena and John.

OTOH, Drake has taken a character who was totally played out and turned him into someone who's exciting again. Someone I flove to watch. He's brand spanking new and the possibilities are endless.

I believe Mason was speaking to what he thinks the J&M fans feel.

As for Drake, what will you do when they bring the old John back? :scared:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

SpriteEyes
Mason
Drew

It really is too bad.

That is why the whole "Samantha" angle is appealing to me. It will allow Dee to play with something new and different. Just look at what she did with possessed Marlena and Marlena as the SSK or even vengeful Marlena last year. When they let Dee do something out of her normal element, she really gets into it and delivers. Every actor and actress wants to be challenged. The key is doing it in a way that makes them happy and the audience and it can be done. The "new" John is working for many and was working for J&M fans until Ava for the most part.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 3 2008, 01:04 AM
SpriteEyes
Mason
Drew

It really is too bad.

That is why the whole "Samantha" angle is appealing to me. It will allow Dee to play with something new and different. Just look at what she did with possessed Marlena and Marlena as the SSK or even vengeful Marlena last year. When they let Dee do something out of her normal element, she really gets into it and delivers. Every actor and actress wants to be challenged. The key is doing it in a way that makes them happy and the audience and it can be done. The "new" John is working for many and was working for J&M fans until Ava for the most part.
Ava never really bothered me, besides her being a waste of time, and a stalling of the story. I stopped enjoying nuJohn long before Ava arrived.

Kyrai

brimike
Aug 1 2008, 02:35 AM
^^^ And I agree with you. It IS a sad situation, and I also agree that a lot of fan bases arent' as patient as they should be.

I've always said you can EVENTUALLY get EJ and Sami together (a PERFECT PRIME example of that is ROger and Holly on GL... that rape was NEVER white-washed, and yet, twenty years later, their scenes together were STILL electric)... but it couldn't be done in one episode where they talk about what happened that night in three scenes and then she has sex with him.

But sadly, the EJami fans wanted instant gratification. ANd they got it. And all it cost them was strong storytelling and (in my opinion) all the aspects of EJ's personality that made him interesting in the first place. (I've said it before and I'll say it again - now he's just a taller version of Lucas with a British accent... and that's a crying shame.).

Woah... I just realized what I typed. The EJami thing was simply MY EXAMPLE. It was the first thing that came to mind, but it is IN NO WAY the ONLY case of this happening on Days. I'm so sorry I used it, but at the same time, I won't delete it because it proves my point. But believe me - this is NOT a post that's anti-EJami. So please don't freak on me. :)

I remember watching soaps in the 80's. I remember watching DOOL in the 80's. I sat through almost TWO YEARS of Jack/Kayla/Steve - from the beginning, when it was your typical soap triangle of street guy vs. rich guy... through the rape... through Kayla losing her hearing... up until the wedding on the boat when she spoke for the first time... and I remember actually feelign somewhat SYMPATHETIC for the GUY WHO RAPED HER A YEAR EARLIER as he watched sadly his brother marry the women he loved, and the marriage he destroyed all over one night of horrific territorialism.

I really wonder sometimes if today's audience would put up with a story like that... never mind the much LONGER love story of Doug and Julie ten years BEFORE Steve and Kayla. Now, if a couple isn't a couple within six months, the fanbases raise holy hell.

Sorry. I'm realizing as I type this I might be openng a huge can of worms. But I won't delete it because it's what I believe. Feel free to disagree.
I'm a diehard Jarlena fan, but I agree with you. I'm actually enjoying the current s/l (though I think there are severe issues with the writing itself being incoherent).

I readily admit that while I've enjoyed many non-JM stories on Days, I tend to watch just for John and Marlena. I know I'm very attached to them as a couple, moreso than any other. I just think that their love is a pure fantasy 'true love' story. After all these years of watching and seeing all they've endured to be together, I can't stand the thought of their true love dying. They went thru extreme circumstances. Can't we have at least one couple have a love that can't be torn asunder.

However, Java doesn't bother me in the least because if I don't think John and Marlena's love can't withstand any competition, then I don't have any faith in that love. I want Ava to leave so we can see John and Marlena moving back together, but I don't have a problem with John being with Ava from a story (as told by these writers) standpoint. She was there when John needed her, Marlena wasn't. I'm hoping she will be soon.

I want to see John and Marlena be interesting and exciting, not just sitting there kissing, etc all the time (not that I have anything against 'etc'). I do want them to evolve and do different things. For me the key is a good story. I can handle them split up by a good story for a year or two (7 years is a bit too long imo), but I'd like to have hope of them getting together at the end. If along the way, the story doesn't go my way (and they haven't convinced me otherwise), I'll and live with it or leave, but I don't want the writers to avoid writing a good story for fear that I'll leave. People are different. If I leave and they've written the story well, ten more fans who DO like the story may join. That's life. I don't want John and Marlena to be boring because I'm afraid they'll be split up permanently.

I also happen to think a good story doesn't have to be one where a couple is hooking up romantically. There can be angst for the couple, but can't they be doing some other tried and true s/ls vs triangle stories? Like trying to save Aunt Viv from some scam she's gotten involved in, going undercover working for or allying with a suspicious organization to get info about them, trying to stop a villain from putting lethal chemicals in the water supply, realizing the mayor is masterminding a plan to take over the presidency and trying to stop him while all the cops in Salem are working for him, a new doctor in town trying to bring new ideas to the hospital with some people standing behind him trying to help and while other unsavory characters are trying to prevent him, getting involved in youth programs in the poor sections of town to give them a chance at a better life, aliens abducting Caroline and all the Bradys joining forces to save her, etc. There has to be something besides a romantic triangle that is just fluff for the happily married vets to go thru.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Aug 3 2008, 01:04 AM
SpriteEyes
Mason
Drew

It really is too bad.

IA.

I'm a J&M fan, but the story is working for me even with Ava. I think the way they made Marlena act, someone was needed to accept John. Since Ava was scheduled to leave, I was actually happy it was her vs a character who would be staying on.

I feel J&M have been revitalized and I'm glad they are part of a big story. I hope in the end, we'll have another great love story as they come back together. :)

I honestly do think the writing has been bad. I'd certainly like more exploration of what John went thru and is thinking now, what Marlena's going thru (why she's acting so out of character), and the same is true of most every s/l in the show, but it seems to be getting better lately, imo. If Ed's writing it, I hope he continues, lol.
Edited by Kyrai, Aug 3 2008, 10:15 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply