Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena Higley QUITS — SUDS REPORT EXCLUSIVE; Breaking News — TVGC; ATWT actor FIRED
Topic Started: Jul 26 2008, 06:10 PM (113,681 Views)
Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

mbdimera
Jul 26 2008, 06:27 PM
Thank Christ. :drunk:

She did a few things right, but many things wrong.

I wonder if Corday will be pissed at Ed Scott since he seems to be the reason she bailed.

Well I was shocked a little reading that but then what I know of Ed Scott, he cares about quality so of course they butted heads.

Hopefully this will mean the end of bad pairings (chan, stax) and propel better stories into the show with characters we all like.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I feel this is too little, too late for me. I'm done with Days. I've been burned over and over since 2003, unless this show somehow starts getting OLTL quality buzz, I dont see myself coming back no matter who is or isnt in charge.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Jul 26 2008, 06:39 PM
Not surprising. She was obviously unhappy, she was hated by anyone and I quess it was impossible to get any good dialog/associate writer why she occupied the job. On the other side, what HW will want to work for DAYS now? I quess Rick Draughon will be given the position temporarily, but after that? Who would even want write for DAYS after the Brash/Cwikley, Highley, Railly, Sheffer, Highley fiasco. The different writers already tried everything from total campy show to ultra realistic character driven storylines. Nothing helped.

Anyway, kudos to Dena for stepping down because it takes a lot of courage and with Corday´s support she could probably hold the position atleast for another year. I liked a lot of her ideas and stories on paper and in the spoilers, but for some reason it mostly ended flat on screen. We will see what happens now.
See, Jane, that's where I am with her writing. So many of her ideas sound great, but just end up blah, dragged out too long, or abandoned on screen. I was getting cautiously optimistic about EJole (trying to push it to the back of my mind). For me personally, the autism story was a great idea, but executed very poorly. I LOVE Jawn, but.....
It's to the point, though, where we have to wonder what will hurt the show more....assembly line rotation of writers, or Higley staying?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

jane1978
Jul 26 2008, 06:39 PM
Who would even want write for DAYS after the Brash/Cwikley, Highley, Railly, Sheffer, Highley fiasco. The different writers already tried everything from total campy show to ultra realistic character driven storylines. Nothing helped.
Corday has been the problem for most of the people you've listed.

Though Dena Higley has proven over and over again how untalented she is as a writer. But who knows, maybe now that she's unemployed she'll actually start watching the potential shows she wants to work for, and will get a clue how to write for them if anyone else is stupid enough to hire her.

Looking at how well promoting from within has worked for One Life to Live, I'd almost suggest that, cept I dont trust anyone they have on staff to do a decent job at it. Victor Gialanella is Higley's right hand stooge, Rick Draughton's dialogue has always been unimpressive, most of the others were groomed under some of the show's darkest eras (Langan/Reilly). Is Beth Milstein still there, or was she one of the ones they fired to give this scab the job?

Hopefully they dont go for the recycling of daytime's washed up head writers routine. Harmon & Brown, Reilly, Latham, and McTavish are all currently unemployed ... be afraid.
Edited by Drew, Jul 26 2008, 06:55 PM.

hops
Member Avatar

Drew
Jul 26 2008, 06:44 PM
I feel this is too little, too late for me. I'm done with Days. I've been burned over and over since 2003, unless this show somehow starts getting OLTL quality buzz, I dont see myself coming back no matter who is or isnt in charge.
That will be the interesting part. Will someone be able to turn Days around enough so old viewers will be intrigued enough to tune back in or even to attract new viewers...... or was this time one time too many.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

OMG! Just read the title. Let me go read the article so I will know how to celebrate.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks Nelson. You're my hero! :hail:

I kinda feel bad because I have a thread up at NBC to get Dena out. lol

I hope DOOL can get better now. :rockon:

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

I'm not going to be happy about anything until we know who's hands this show is getting put in. I honestly don't think DAYS can survive another shake up...we'll see.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Whoever it is better keep their ever-lovin' hands off of EJole except to pimp them! :soapbox: :D

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

hops
Jul 26 2008, 06:54 PM
Drew
Jul 26 2008, 06:44 PM
That will be the interesting part. Will someone be able to turn Days around enough so old viewers will be intrigued enough to tune back in or even to attract new viewers...... or was this time one time too many.
I think if they're anything like me, it'll take alot to bring the old viewers back, and make them willing to trust this show again. The show's been in such an awful uneven slump since 1999.

The Langan era was mostly awful. It had its highlights, mainly the direction the Reed/Roberts/Kiriakis & Sami stories. But by 2001 everything on air was horrible and Corday let it go on for way too long before acting, and removing him.

Cwikly & Brash were a breath of fresh air, ratings jumped back up, critical buzz was high, and fans were enjoying it - and Corday shot them down after only a year.

Then the whole debacle that was 2003-2006 .... I dont care what kind of contract James Reilly had with the show(obviously it wasnt the unbreakable kind...), he was driving it completely into the ground and it never should have been allowed to go on as long as it did. It did so much damage to the show that it has still never recovered from.

I know I'm in a minority when I say I enjoyed Hogan Sheffer, especially when he was hitting his stride under Ed Scott just before the strike, but it brought back a sense of realism to Salem, characters finally felt 3D for the first time in ages.

But its all been one big hampster wheel of crap mixed with bright spots these last few years, with more of the crap than of the bright. It'll take alot to bring people back IMO.
Edited by Drew, Jul 26 2008, 07:11 PM.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Well that was something I was NOT expecting. :o

I know I read her blog a couple of weeks ago and you could tell she wasn't 100% happy and I have to wonder if the whole autism story was forced upon her (because I thought I read some of that as well).

Can't wait to hear Kenny's reaction. ;)

angmc
Member Avatar

I think this has the quality-hungry fingerprints of Ed Scott all over it!! Imagine that...This will be interesting. Will Corday win and bring Higley back (dear god no!!!) or will Ed Scott really take over running the show since Corday is probably the worst thing for the show at this point??

I hope they don't rush into replacing her unless Ed Scott has someone in mind already..It wouldn't be the end of the world if they brought in someone from Y/R would it?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I dont think a Bell trained writer would be a bad thing. Afterall, Days wouldnt even be on the air if it wasnt for Bill Bell. But most of the current generation know Days for the campy & over the top show of the 90s.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Thank God. That woman has no business working in Daytime. While I am not ready to jump back on the Days wagon, the show does deserve a quality writer. Even in its final days.

jcar03
Member Avatar

OMG OMG OMG OMG. Please don't let Corday change her mind please please please.

kserox10

Well I am really scared for whose going to be the next HW. It could be Megan McTavish for all we know. (Just Joking) :p

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Yeah, I don't trust Corday to hire anyone good and everyone who has worked for Corday has gotten their reputation ruined. Corday is killing the show, the writers are just using his vision to guide things.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Nelson. I was told a month ago she was going to be fired in AUG. I think this is there way of letting her go with her pride in tact. Higley was done for. She can say she quit, but....this is like our store manager who was hit with sexual harassment, he was able to quit, but WE all know he was going to be fired if he didn't.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I don't know if Corday can really win her back. She's clearly been unhappy, almost since she GOT the job. She's been ridiculed, and hated. It's a tough job to have and I give her mega kudos for walking away. I feel bad for her, personally, that she's so disliked. I know it's more her writing than HER (it should be, because none of us know her personally) but still ... lol.

I wouldn't be mega upset with Jack Smith, but he always reminded me of a mix of Langan and Reilly. I honestly enjoyed a lot of Smith's time at Y&R and I think his style would actually kind of fit with DAYS. Griffith ... no. His ship has sailed. I don't want him at DAYS, which means he probably gets the job, if it really is between them.

It seems like Sony has REALLY taken an interest in DAYS the past year or so. It seemed like they almost never interfered but ever since Ed Scott came aboard ... thank God for Ed Scott, honestly.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

BTW I think its good she is gone. She was on a roll, but screwed it all up on a whim and this Summer of Stax banjo love is a repulsive move and has tanked ratings quicker then the titanic.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply