Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ATWT/GL/AW Available at Hulu.com
Topic Started: Jul 27 2008, 03:04 AM (1,546 Views)
NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

TeleNext Media, Inc. today announced that its two long-running soap operas Guiding Light and As The World Turns, plus the classic soap opera Another World, will be the first of the genre to make full episodes available for viewing on Hulu.com . Initially, viewers will be able to enjoy 18 full episodes of each show, with an additional three episodes going up on the site per week. Guiding Light will debut on July 25, 2008, As The World Turns on July 28, and Another World on July 29.

“Our shows have always been media pioneers,” said Brian T. Cahill, Senior Vice President and Managing Director of TeleNext Media Inc. “We were the first to transition from radio to television and the first to podcast. We are proud to be first here as well, and happy to do it with such a great strategic partner as Hulu.”

Both Guiding Light and As The World Turns will debut on Hulu with episodes that originally aired on television on June 1, 2007. Another World will debut with an episode that originally aired on May 10, 1991 and that is also the episode viewers last saw when the show more recently aired on cable.

http://www.soapdom.com/content/view/161479/59/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Damn! Why couldn't they have aired GL/ATWT from the 80's 90's :(

Mason
Member Avatar

Rick
Jul 27 2008, 05:00 AM
My thoughts exactly. Who wants to watch all the shit from the past year and forward?

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

if they start putting up 90s Y&R or B&B I might have to break out my proxy server again

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Awesome! I love Hulu. I watch Buffy, Highlander and other shows there.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Is getting 1970s soap opera *too* much to ask? I know most soaps didn't regularly start saving episodes until the late 1970s, but I'll take it! Hell, I just wish P&G would throw some of those random vintage eps they've got in their faults up. I know we can't get a full run, but an ep here or there from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s here and there would definitely be better than nothing -- especially if they're from the nearly impossible to find 'Somerset', 'Lovers & Friends', or 'For Richer For Poorer'. Truthfully, someone needs to negotate with the production companies for a broadband TV network devoted to soaps (hell, if SoapNet wants to jettison all the classics off the cable network, they could turn that SoapNet2 idea that's been floating around into a internet tv network and put all their classic eps on there.) There are *so* many soaps that deserve to be re-run online (and can be rerun in their entirety) -- Capitol, Loving, Generations, The City, Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach. Can you imagine a internet site with full, pristine episodes (even if only random and scattered) of 'Love is a Many Splendored Thing', 'The Secret Storm', 'Love of Life' and 'Where the Heart Is'? The Bells and the Cordays also had the forsight to save all their eps. Both Y&R and Days could be re-run -- starting from the beginning in 1973 and 1965 respectively. There *is* an audience for that material. Certainly the staff needed for the encoding and uploading and site maintence would be fairly minimal and if they insert commercials like a lot of internet channels do right now, the project would pay for itself and might even be profitable. Hell, release "Best Of" collections for d/l on itunes! There are all of these soaps and episodes just lying around collecting dust when they could be used to bring in revenue online. I just wish they'd tap into that.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I wonder though if the upcoming writing/acting contracts will play into these though, cause wouldnt they have to start paying royalties to all those people or their estates (if they're dead) if they start using them online?

jcar03
Member Avatar

OMG! Another World!!

Quote:

Hop Over to Hulu.com for Soap Viewing
Sure, you can catch same-day episodes of the CBS soaps on CBS.com/daytime, but now viewers can log on to Hulu.Com and watch not only AS THE WORLD TURNS and GUIDING LIGHT, but also the much-missed ANOTHER WORLD. GL and ATWT have already kicked off, with episodes from June 2007, and AW will begin its run today (Tuesday, July 29) with its May 10, 1991, episode. Fans will initially get 18 full episodes of each series, with three episodes going up per week. See ya in Bay City!

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

King
Member Avatar

It's exciting, nonetheless. Although the best would be AW.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Good you mereged my thread I totally missed that Navelle started it.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

So, let's look and see what soaps are currently available online in reruns -- P&G Classic Soaps have AW (1981), Texas (1981), Edge of Night (1980), and Search for Tomorrow (1985). Hulu has ATWT (2007), GL (2007), and AW (1991). CBS.com has Y&R (current), B&B (current), ATWT (current), and GL (current). NBC.com has/had PSNS (current by subscription only). Any other web outlets for soap reruns?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

squee
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Jul 27 2008, 03:04 AM
Another World will debut with an episode that originally aired on May 10, 1991 and that is also the episode viewers last saw when the show more recently aired on cable.
w00t! :cheer:

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Rick
Jul 27 2008, 05:00 AM
I agree, I want to see the eppys from the 90s to remind me why I fell in love with GL....because the shit that's been on my screen the past year or so has been making me forget :(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply