Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Kristen Renton interview
Topic Started: Jul 29 2008, 03:47 PM (2,307 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Deep Soap: Days of Our Lives Kristen Renton Dishes Product Placement and Doggie DNA Testing

By Sara A. Bibel
Fancast.com

Days of Our Lives Kristen Renton (Morgan Hollingsworth) joined the cast in fall of 2007 as president of a Salem U. sorority. Her character was a hit with the fans. The show expanded Morgan’s role, giving her a father (Paul played by Linden Ashby) and a romance with Philip (Jay Kenneth Johnson). The hardworking Renton phoned me from DOOL’s hair-and-makeup room .

What’s a typical day of taping like?
It starts in hair and make-up, which for me can be the most fun because that’s where all the gossip happens.

Any juicy gossip right now?
It’s funny, because sometimes I’ll put my earphones on so it looks like I’m listening to music, when really I’m not. I’ll just listen to everyone talking about who is dating who or who told who off. The kind of stuff that you shouldn’t know but you hear because for some reason everyone cuts loose in that room. I don’t know why, but [hair and make-up] is definitely the go to gossip room.

The rest of the [less gossipy] day?
We’re usually in hair and make-up for about two hours, depending on what we’re going to do that day. If we have a juicy fantasy scene or something it might take longer. We go from there to rehearsal where we get all our blocking. Things like, ‘Take a step here, grab his butt here.’ Then we shoot. Sometimes it goes really quickly, other times not so much.

How did the character of Morgan evolve? Was she originally supposed to be a contract character?
When I first [got the part] it wasn’t supposed to be an extremely longterm role, but they were open to seeing how the story progressed. I went into it thinking that I was going to make Morgan as fun as possible so people would want her to stick around because I think she’s an amazing character to play. I’m glad that the fans saw it that way also. About two and a half months after I started, the producers offered me a long term contract. I was really excited that they saw Morgan’s potential.

At first Morgan seemed like she was going to be a “Mean Girl,” but she’s turned out to be a loyal, supportive friend.
Initially I think she loved the authority she had with the sorority. When the [Ford Decker] storyline evolved, you saw that she had a softer side, that she was vulnerable and human. I think the fans really could identify with that. She’s so much fun to play because she has all those complex sides. She can be sweet and genuine and be a good friend, but if someone tries to cross her she has no problem taking the claws out.

Now that Paul’s missing, are we going to see her spunkier side?
She feels that her Dad is her rock, the one person she can really understand and identify with. Now that he’s out of the picture, she gets vulnerable and lost for a minute. She latches on to Phillip because he’s her last connection to her father, in a weird roundabout way. At the same time, she’s also looking at this as an opportunity to become closer to him. She has feelings for him, but she hasn’t really admitted it to herself yet. She is going to use this as a catalyst to start something with him. She is little miss vulnerable, in distress, ‘save me’. She’s looking to fall into his arms.

What’s it like working with Jay Kenneth Johnson?
He is absolutely amazing! We’ll sit down and work on our scenes beforehand and really focus on what we want to do. I’ve learned so much from him. And, he’s not hard to look at either. He’s really sweet. People [who look] like that, you never know. But he’s not full of himself. He’s not stuck up. I think it helps with the relationship [our characters] have on the show because we really do care about each other.

Is there going to be a Morgan-Phillip-Chloe love triangle?
There is a slight triangle going on. Although Phillip said he didn’t want a real relationship with Chloe, he can’t help but have some feelings for her come out. Yet, he also likes [Morgan] with her spunkiness. That’s something he really hasn’t experienced yet. He hasn’t ever really had someone who stands up to him and puts him in his place. I think that’s definitely playing with his mind. Eventually something happens. [Morgan] goes to confront John about something and Phillip accidentally gets in the way. [She] feels guilty about that, and that’s the real start of our relationship.

Is John really responsible for Paul’s disappearance?
I don’t know, at this point. It could be either John or Phillip. The longer they keep pointing fingers at each other, the more distressed Morgan gets about the whole situation. I want to believe it’s John. If it’s Phillip Morgan’s whole world’s going to come crashing down.

If you could play a DOOL character other than Morgan, who would you choose?
I absolutely love Nicole (Arianne Zucker) She’s funny. She’s a drunk, but she’s got the spunk. She seems like she would be a lot of fun to play and to get to know.

What was it like shooting the infamous Midol product placement scene?
(Laughing) I didn’t actually know I was going to have to do that. When I picked my script up, I overlooked that page. So when I got to set that day, they were like, ‘this is where we’re going to shoot our product placement. ‘ I was like, ‘what are we doing?’ We tried to have a lot of fun with it, and I think you could see that when it aired. I think it played pretty well. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. A girl’s got cramps, she’s got to take care of it.

What other roles did you play before you were cast as Morgan?
I have a movie, Ghouls, that’s airing Saturday July 12 at 9PM [that’s tomorrow, if you’d like to check it out] on the SCi-Fi channel. I play a girl who discovers her family’s blood line goes back to these creatures called ghouls. She finds herself in a predicament when she goes to her grandmother’s funeral in Romania. The horror/scifi was a lot of fun to play. I’ve also played a hooker with a heart of gold on The OC, a college student that dabbled in being a Las Vegas hooker. You do what you’ve got to do to put yourself through school! I played a fun character, Nancy, on a show called The Sausage Factory which aired on MTV. She was a naïve, virginal character that didn’t believe in pre-marital sex. She had no idea how much she tortured her boyfriend with the fact that she wouldn’t put out.

You seem to get cast as a lot of spunky characters.
I like playing strong women. For so long women were looked at as weak and unable to carry ourselves without a man. I love the idea of playing strong, independent women who aren’t afraid to speak their minds.

In that vein, if you could write a story for Morgan, what would it be?
I would love to see a real romance develop between her and Phillip. He’s got this egotistical outlook on the Kiriakis empire. He’s always been given whatever he wants, and I think Morgan’s kind of challenged that. Bringing these characters together would open up many possibilities. I would love to get her out of college and have her start her own business. Maybe she could start working alongside Phillip. I think if that happened, there would be a big learning curve for both of them.

Do you have any hobbies or non-acting interests that would surprise your fans?
I’m a huge nerd! Sunday mornings I look at the newspaper and clip coupons. I walk my dogs. I ride my bike. I have a Schwinn! I’d rather walk dogs on a Sunday than go to a club on Friday. I love reading, I read three books last week when I was on vacation, visiting my family. I’m a huge charity buff. I volunteer a lot for the Boxer Rescue in L.A. Animals are a huge priority in my life.

Are your dogs Boxers?
Yes. I have two. Cooper’s a male that I adopted over a year ago. He was found roaming around South Central, so we rescued him. I rescued another one named Roxy who I just brought to a benefit called “Dogs In Danger” a couple of weeks ago that was put on by Reality Cares and she just stole the show. I call her my mini-horse. She’s like 80 pounds. I just got her a doggy DNA test to find out what she is. She’s half boxer but she’s got to be part Great Dane or Mastiff or something because she’s huge.

Wait. You can get DNA tests for dogs?
Yeah. You can find out exactly what breeds they are and everything.
You’ve managed to put a soapy twist on dog ownership.
(laughs) I cannot wait to find out what she is.
Maybe she’s part DiMera.
Maybe.

Is there anything else you’d like your fans to know?
I’d like to thank them for being so welcoming and positive about me and about Morgan and Phillip. The writers read the fan message boards. They write for what fans want. As long as the fans keep supporting them with open arms, we’re going to keep doing it.

The writers really read the boards?
They really do read the NBC message boards, any kind of soap message boards. They seriously have people who go on and read them. If there’s something fans don’t like, they respect that and they listen. Thanks to everyone there who has shown me support and love. I love them right back!

http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/07/deep_soap_days_of_our_lives_kr.html

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

The writers really read the boards?
They really do read the NBC message boards, any kind of soap message boards. They seriously have people who go on and read them. If there’s something fans don’t like, they respect that and they listen. Thanks to everyone there who has shown me support and love. I love them right back!

I would love to see them reading DR's Higley's thread. :roflol:

Thanks Ang!

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks Ang.

Anytime I read that TPTB actually take the pulse of the fans via the NBC Boards, I get a shiver up my spine. That is the last place they should be going.

Alligato
Member Avatar

^mb - I didn't want to say it but I totally agree. Out of all the boards, that would be the last one I would look at...well maybe second to Sony. It kills me that is where they get their feedback. No offense to those who post at NBC/Sony. It is just that I am constantly censored over there and have yet to have a good experience with mods/posters.

Something about this whole article makes me laugh...especially the "if you could a story for Morgan, what would it be"...kinda wrong right now, huh? Also the gossip chair in the make up room to hear about who is telling who off...geez!

Mason
Member Avatar

Obviously they don't read the right boards! (although I do like the Philip/Morgan pairing)

Alligato
Member Avatar

I like Phillip/Morgan too...maybe if I could get Morgan to stop the constant crying and get back to the dart throwing Morgan, I'd love them. Can't wait to see Phillip fess up to Morgan about what he said to her dad...I wonder if she will leave him or believe him?

Kenny
Member Avatar

LoL @ the "any juicy gossip right now?" question.

As for them reading the NBC boards... ugh. That's Terry's playground. No wonder we're stuck with STAX.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Well, she did say they read "any kind of" boards, so hopefully if they're reading they're not just limited to NBC. Meaning with any luck my anti-Phorgan posts are still getting read even though I don't post at NBC. :P

I do find it a little strange that she talks about Morgan being a strong character but then that she's a damsel in distress and looking to fall into Philip's arms or whatever; I guess the schizophrenic writing makes the interview process difficult. If Morgan would fall into Nick's arms, or Max's again, or pretty much anyone's other than Philip's my feelings for her could simmer back down to indifference or perhaps even mild interest. I did think she was very cute with Nick the one day that he was trying to talk about his grant and Chelsea and Stephanie were rolling their eyes at his scienceosity. She's just a terrible fit with Philip, IMO.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Morgan is not strong at the moment, can you blame her? Her father is missing.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Jul 29 2008, 04:49 PM
I do find it a little strange that she talks about Morgan being a strong character but then that she's a damsel in distress and looking to fall into Philip's arms or whatever; I guess the schizophrenic writing makes the interview process difficult. If Morgan would fall into Nick's arms, or Max's again, or pretty much anyone's other than Philip's my feelings for her could simmer back down to indifference or perhaps even mild interest. I did think she was very cute with Nick the one day that he was trying to talk about his grant and Chelsea and Stephanie were rolling their eyes at his scienceosity. She's just a terrible fit with Philip, IMO.
At one time I would have taken the idea of Nick/Morgan but I do find Nick/Melanie more intriguing (though maybe he could date the "safe girl" of Morgan but feel attracted to bad girl Melanie?)

That said, I have no idea WTH the TPTB will not put Nick and Morgan in scenes together. I did think that scene Paxton talked of was very cute and it would strengthen both characters to be in scenes supporting one another instead of Morgan all about Philip and Nick all about Stax. WCS would be that people might ship Nick and Morgan and honestly that's not necessarily a bad thing. They gave us a few cute Nick/Stephanie scenes so why not just let them be friends and interact?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Sindacco
Jul 29 2008, 04:57 PM
Morgan is not strong at the moment, can you blame her? Her father is missing.
No, I don't blame her at all for being terrified about what might have happened to her father. I do blame her for ignoring all the evidence that Philip had some involvement in what happened with her father, including her own father telling her to stay away from him. It seems to me it's not mutually exclusive to have her both be frightened and crying at intervals and be suspicious of Philip. I don't know why she wasn't confiding in Chelsea and Stephanie. The only scene we saw with them had Morgan waving goodbye to Steph for her great French adventure. That was right after she was breaking down with Philip and suddenly she was fine? It just never made sense to me to have her confiding in Philip and leaning on him with what she knows.

To be clear, I don't blame the actress for that--that's crappy writing. But everybody else suffers from the same lack of consistency in characterization and everybody else does something that makes me think WTF? at least once a week, that isn't specific to this character.

Mason
Member Avatar

Not that I'm at all interested in Melanie, but if you ask me, Nick/Melanie would just be like a Chick redux - except without Chelsea.

Shylock

Right now Morgan and Phillip are the best potential pairing for either of them. Phillip and Chloe didn't do ANYTHING and Morgan with Nick? I don't think so. Morgan and Phillip, if they're written like they were when they started their relationship, are perfect for each other. I can understand why she's kind of opening up to him right now, but they need to tone it down a bit.

D-Light
Member Avatar

Her character is one thing, but even in this interview she sounds like a giggling little school girl. She sure seems full of herself. I can't take much more of Morgan or her being paired with Philip. It is outright ridiculous! I hope her character disappears as soon as this dock storyline is over. She wants to be paired with Jay? Ha! :eyeroll:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

D-Light
Jul 29 2008, 08:11 PM
Her character is one thing, but even in this interview she sounds like a giggling little school girl. She sure seems full of herself. I can't take much more of Morgan or her being paired with Philip. It is outright ridiculous! I hope her character disappears as soon as this dock storyline is over. She wants to be paired with Jay? Ha! :eyeroll:
Uh, I take it from your banner you don't like her cause you're a Phloe fan??

SmashinglySweet

Great posts Paxton! I have always been a Phloe fan first, but I did see the potential for Phorgan on paper. However, as it evolved, I saw any potential was just on paper b/c I am not seeing it on screen.

I don't find Morgan annoying b/c of her behavior about her father, although I can't fathom why someone would be so whiny about it 24/7. I know I would be concerned, but I am not the type to sit around and whine. I would be proactive. Morgan does have moments of being proactive, but has to have someone hold her hand through most of those. I thought Morgan had potential when I first tuned back into DAYS, then I went to being indifferent, and now I just hate the character!

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Mason
Jul 29 2008, 06:09 PM
Not that I'm at all interested in Melanie, but if you ask me, Nick/Melanie would just be like a Chick redux - except without Chelsea.
See I have no problems with that. Mainly because Chick's story was too rushed and wound up getting screwed up in so many ways. My other reasoning is the bad girl/geeky guy does not often happen, and so it's a little more original than the typical soap hunk meets beautiful girl story.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Uh, I take it from your banner you don't like her cause you're a Phloe fan??

People are capable of disliking actors/characters that have nothing to do with their favorite pairings. I can't stand Max or Stephanie, and that has nothing to do with Phloe.

I'm another that thinks KR comes across in her interviews sounding arrogant, but was going to refrain from saying anything because I knew what people would say in response. :)

jcar03
Member Avatar

I don't know what interview some of you are reading but I don't see any arrogance but whatever. Most that are attacking her are clearly just upset that there is a road block for Philip/Chloe.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Most that are attacking her are clearly just upset that there is a road block for Philip/Chloe.

I said interviews (plural) because she's come across that way to me multiple times. Phloe loving is probably shading that, but it is truly how I see it.

And if she were just a road block, I wouldn't care less about her. I probably wouldn't even get upset about the character at all. But as far as I can tell Dena is intent on throwing Chloe over and putting Phorgan together and yeah, I'm pissed after waiting eight years for a reunion to not be getting one for some stupid pointless minor character who went from being on twice a month to almost every day.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply