Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: The Phoenix Rises Again!
Topic Started: Jul 31 2008, 01:18 PM (1,929 Views)
Sariah
Member Avatar

Stefano finally comes out of his coma this week, which brings Joseph Mascolo back again as the Phoenix. A few months ago, it seemed unlikely that the actor, who gave a no-holds-barred interview about his exist in Digest’s 5/27 issue, would be returning anytime soon. “They would have to come on bended knee,” he said at the time. But his comeback, he says, “started with the last line of that article and let’s just leave that alone. [Executive Producer] Ken Corday and I have a special relationship. We can scream at each other and love each other and we go back a long time. We have a certain kind of respect for each other. Essentially, I think everybody suddenly realized, ‘Hey, we’re making a terrible mistake here,’ and without anybody saying anything or doing anything, it was just something that happened.”

Dena Higley at the writing helm made a difference, he reports. “We’ve also had a change of writers, which is a big thing as far as I’m concerned. The writing before was really dumb and what they did with the character was really dumb. It was not Stefano. My basic thing here is if we can get Stefano back and try to do it right this time, then it will be fun. I have my fingers crossed because you know a lot of times you can sit down and talk about this stuff, but if it’s not on the page, it’s nothing.”

Story-wise, Stefano starts to come out of his coma and lets EJ and Tony know he’s awake. And he is back with a vengeance. “He’s still sort of semiparalyzed because of whatever they stuck in his head, but he’s already starting to kind of get a little revenge because Stefano is never alone. There are minions all over the world for him, so he’s already put in motion some things that are going to make most of the folks that we know in Salem very uncomfortable.”

Namely Marlena, who is stuck with a needle this week and paralyzed in the same way Stefano was. “Well, she’s No. 1. He starts with her. I mean, talk about being pissed off. He’s really after her, without any question. It’s interesting because it’s a two-sided coin. She has always been an Achilles’ heel for him; he always cared for her.”

Look for Stefano’s return to push John back into Marlena’s orbit, says Higley. “Marlena is Stefano’s main target. This is a threat that brings John and Marlena emotionally back together, then….”

Mini pic of Marlena, with big pic of EJ, Tony and Stefano (in bed). Cap: A Dish Served Best Cold: EJ and Tony visit with Stefano, who comes out of his coma determined to get Marlena.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Thanks for posting!

peaches179

Angie79
Jul 31 2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for posting!
Thanks for posting!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Stefano going after Marlena sounds amazing. It's interesting that John's not himself, thus Marlena will sort of be on her own having to deal with Stefano.

It's about time they started focusing on the characters we actually give a shit about and putting them in interesting stories. Finally! This seriously is the first thing I've been interested in watching for well over a month.

Ellie

Thanks for posting! Wow, I completely agree with him about Sheffer. I never felt that Sheffer understood Stefano's power or the way Stefano was supposed to be interacting with the other characters.

Quote:

Namely Marlena, who is stuck with a needle this week and paralyzed in the same way Stefano was. “Well, she’s No. 1. He starts with her. I mean, talk about being pissed off. He’s really after her, without any question. It’s interesting because it’s a two-sided coin. She has always been an Achilles’ heel for him; he always cared for her.”
That's exactly it. He's intrigued by her, he's furious at her, he's completely attracted to her. If that can be reflected in the writing, we might actually have a really good story on our hands.

Quote:

This is a threat that brings John and Marlena emotionally back together, then….”
Sounds good! (But, uh, what comes after the 'then'?)

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Sariah :)

He’s still sort of semiparalyzed because of whatever they stuck in his head, but he’s already starting to kind of get a little revenge because Stefano is never alone. There are minions all over the world for him, so he’s already put in motion some things that are going to make most of the folks that we know in Salem very uncomfortable.”

Okay, this further propels my suspicion that Trent is connected to Stefano somehow!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

No idea - that's just where the article ends! LOL I was like, "What? Then what?" :)

Jonatha

Sariah, thanks for posting this. See, that comment from Higley comes right outta the blue. :huh1:

Ellie

Sariah
Jul 31 2008, 01:37 PM
Quote:

No idea - that's just where the article ends! LOL I was like, "What? Then what?" :)
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't include it! I knew it was in the mag like that. But that's exactly it, I'm wondering, J&M are brought together, then... ??

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

The most interesting part of the interview to me is JM saying Sheffer didn't get Stefano. It's funny, because while I ended up loathing almost every single thing Sheffer did, one of the few things I felt he did well was write good scenes for EJ and Stefano. All the vendetta stuff ultimately was nonsense, of course, but I did think the father-son relationship played out well, although I guess that's primarily due to the actors.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I am glad Joe is back....I hope this is awesome. Scared to get my hopes to high though.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jul 31 2008, 01:41 PM
The most interesting part of the interview to me is JM saying Sheffer didn't get Stefano. It's funny, because while I ended up loathing almost every single thing Sheffer did, one of the few things I felt he did well was write good scenes for EJ and Stefano. All the vendetta stuff ultimately was nonsense, of course, but I did think the father-son relationship played out well, although I guess that's primarily due to the actors.
I feel like the brightest spot of Sheffer's reign was the dialogue. I don't know if he's the one responsible or if it was just that he assembled a really good team of dialogue writers, but whatever the case, I thought the dialogue for Stefano was great. For the first time in a long time, he felt like a real character rather than a cartoon villain so much, IMO.

Sheffer's weakness with Stefano is that he really didn't understand the way he should associate with other characters. I mean, at no time should we have actually seen Stefano having lunch with John and Marlena at the Brady Pub. Shit like that just didn't make sense.

It bugs me that Joe completely writes off Hogan as a terrible writer just because he didn't "get" Stefano. I mean, there's more to the show than just Stefano, y'know? Yes, Hogan had weaknesses, but he also had strengths.

deefanUBS

Loving the comments about Marlena. Really makes me look forward to the upcoming scenes they'll share. :cheers:

Overall, nice interview from Joe. Sounds like he kept it very honest. So much truth to how he was written for in the past. I'd like to see them do it right this time again too! :welcome:

deefanUBS

Kenny
Jul 31 2008, 01:44 PM
It bugs me that Joe completely writes off Hogan as a terrible writer just because he didn't "get" Stefano. I mean, there's more to the show than just Stefano, y'know? Yes, Hogan had weaknesses, but he also had strengths.
Hi Kenny :wave:

How can a person be a good writer if he/she doesn't 'get' the characters he/she is writing for?

Edited by deefanUBS, Jul 31 2008, 01:59 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

deefanUBS
Jul 31 2008, 01:58 PM
Kenny
Hi Kenny :wave:

How can a person be a good writer if they don't 'get' the characters he/she is writer for?

Oh, come on now. It happens all the time.

JER was a great writer in the 90's, but he didn't get every character. For example, he didn't "get" Jack Deveraux. Does that mean he never did anything good? Of course not.

Some writers just have a better grasp on certain characters than others. I think it's all about their writing style and which type of character they really enjoy penning. Hogan was flawed, but he wasn't the worst writer in the world, either. JMO.

Ellie

Paxton
I remember that in another Joe M interview from a month or two ago, Joe mentioned Stefano's riding that little scooter in his criticism of Sheffer. I don't want to put words in Joe's mouth, but I think that was probably one of his main issues with how Stefano was written: Stefano went from a powerful villain to an elderly 'godfather' type of figure. Sheffer might have done the DiMera family interaction well, but Stefano was reduced to the family figurehead, barking orders from the mansion or the hospital rather than being actively involved in the 'villainry' himself. I don't think Joe was ready for Stefano to be reduced to that type of role, and imo the viewers weren't ready for it either.

JustJo
Member Avatar

I had a feeling at the time that they were portraying Stefano on the way out and trying to get ready to pass the mantle on to EJ. I felt like they intended to make EJ the new head of the DiMera empire.

Days4Life

Ellie
Jul 31 2008, 02:27 PM
I remember that in another Joe M interview from a month or two ago, Joe mentioned Stefano's riding that little scooter in his criticism of Sheffer. I don't want to put words in Joe's mouth, but I think that was probably one of his main issues with how Stefano was written: Stefano went from a powerful villain to an elderly 'godfather' type of figure. Sheffer might have done the DiMera family interaction well, but Stefano was reduced to the family figurehead, barking orders from the mansion or the hospital rather than being actively involved in the 'villainry' himself. I don't think Joe was ready for Stefano to be reduced to that type of role, and imo the viewers weren't ready for it either.
This was my issue with Hogan's version of Stefano. Although HS wrote him some great scenes and he had some wonderful dialogue, I hated how the character was weakened. It just wasn't right for Stefano to be whirring around in a wheelchair or stuck in a hospital bed. I would rather they kill Stefano off permanently than declaw him that way.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Kenny
Paxton
I feel like the brightest spot of Sheffer's reign was the dialogue. I don't know if he's the one responsible or if it was just that he assembled a really good team of dialogue writers, but whatever the case, I thought the dialogue for Stefano was great. For the first time in a long time, he felt like a real character rather than a cartoon villain so much, IMO.

Sheffer's weakness with Stefano is that he really didn't understand the way he should associate with other characters. I mean, at no time should we have actually seen Stefano having lunch with John and Marlena at the Brady Pub. Shit like that just didn't make sense.

ICAM with you on the oddness of Stefano just hanging out with people he tortured.

But I don't blame an actor for considering someone who doesn't get his character, someone who has been a part of Days of our Lives off and on for 20-plus years, a bad writer. It's almost impossible to be a good writer if you don't have a good grasp of the characters you are writing.

Now you are so right that the dialogue was great and there were scenes with Stefano at times that interested me (I think I enjoyed his fake funeral and that DiMera meeting with EJ and Andre fighting) but Stefano at times was too weak and too obsessed with Sami and EJ rather than ALL of the people of Salem he had beef with, especially when it came to John and Marlena who had so much reason to be a part of the return of Stefano and going toe-to-toe with him last summer what with John having been shot and robbed of a kidney as part of DiMera schemes prior to his waking up from a coma but for whatever reason the show just wasted that potential and didn't bother tying John and Marlena into the Santeen shit until way too late and so Stefano's return was just very disjointed and not all it could be.

There was also the issue I think of Hogan falling in love with Andre so much that he played the heavy villain psycho to the point Stefano just really had nothing to do but lay in a hospital bed or pout in a wheelchair as Andre got to have all the fun.

Tricky
Member Avatar

if joe is putting just a little faith in dena, i guess i will too, if corday stays out of things it could work i guess..but she needs to tighten up ship...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply