Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Ava's Good Bye
Topic Started: Jul 31 2008, 01:20 PM (7,323 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

Wow, thanks to Jiggs and imissstefano for their terrific, long and meaningful posts that just gave me a new perspective on life.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jmluv

ladyofthelake
Aug 2 2008, 12:16 PM
Deidre should be thanking DRAKE for putting her in a supercouple status, whereas Jed Allen and Wayne Northrop didn't? Not really, that is.
Carry on........
:funny: I guess Roman and Marlena weren't that popular.

Posted Image

imissstefano
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 2 2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, thanks to Jiggs and imissstefano for their terrific, long and meaningful posts that just gave me a new perspective on life.
If you are looking to find a new perspective on life from a soap opera message board, then I wish you the best of luck.

:lol:

imissstefano
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Aug 2 2008, 01:48 PM
dude, I didn't even see your post before making my own. JINX! :laugh:
GMTA

:cheers:

e83talus
Member Avatar

Sindacco

madelinehawaii

imissstefano
Aug 2 2008, 02:41 PM
Sindacco
If you are looking to find a new perspective on life from a soap opera message board, then I wish you the best of luck.

as long as there are people posting on a board, it shouldn't matter what the subject is about, one can find a new perspective on anything, including life if he/she is interested :wave:

e83talus
Member Avatar

Sindacco

Kenny
Member Avatar

Alright guys, this is just a reminder to keep this thread civil and non-personal. Please and thank you! :)

pagraves
Member Avatar

I never have understood the whole thing with fanbase wars. I mean, I guess I can see friendly competition between, say, EJami and Lumi fans, or Shimi/Shelle fans. But I've seen fanbase enmity between J & M and S & K fans, which doesn't make sense because the characters themselves are friends, and the couples don't even compete with each other in any meaningful way.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Nubia
Jul 31 2008, 01:37 PM
One last romp?.....If Ava does return....I bet she returns with a lil John Black Jr.
I hope you're right and she'll name him Ryan. :rockon:

Deleted User
Deleted User

SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 03:53 PM
Nubia
One last romp?.....If Ava does return....I bet she returns with a lil John Black Jr.
Why Ryan?
Quote Post Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Quote:

Drake has thrived in daytime, but if he's bored now, he should find other avenues to explore instead of expecting his fans to embrace this new character and forget the real John. I just don't find nuJohn appealing in any way.
Does Drake actually write the show? Did he demand that he be brought back with the single condition that he play a totally new character? OR is he doing the job he's paid for and he just happens to be having a blast with it?

I love this New John. I think he's refreshing and I love it when he keeps everyone else off-guard. It brings a new element to everyone's character when they interact with him.

DAYS has to evolve and as fun as the eighties were, you can't live in the past. You move forward and it seems that living in the past is becoming a death knell.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Aug 2 2008, 03:59 PM.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Amello
Aug 2 2008, 03:54 PM
SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 03:53 PM
Nubia
Why Ryan?
That's the name Colleen gave John when he was born.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Aug 2 2008, 03:58 PM.

thereyougo

Jia
Aug 2 2008, 10:12 AM
CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 1 2008, 10:37 AM
ladyofthelake
Aug 1 2008, 06:58 AM
Jiggs
Aug 1 2008, 01:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 1 2008, 01:05 AM
Drake's interviews have gotten weird since the coma and the whole real life fan incident but that Storms/Braun comparison is weird, if only because they played completely different roles and I can't even see how one can compare their acting styles, regardless of talent.

Whatever the case, sorry to see her go. Tamara will be missed and I do hope she returns some day.

I do like the way she leaves as it will leave John crushed and will make it hard for him to trust in a way. It leaves him in a volatile state just as Stefano returns. Good stuff.

I also want to add that Drake owes alot to Dee. It was the J&M pairing that really got his career going and put him in a situation where he could take off as an actor and character. I think Dee did to Drake what other beloved characters and their portrayers did for Dee in the 70's. By way of interacting with her and being in story and paired with her, he became big and his role went from a short-term gig to long-term, much like Dee's did thanks to those around her and the stories that were going on. I think Dee carried the pairing early on but in the 90's it was pretty equal as they both did their part. I do think at least Drake wants to try out other pairings, which is obvious from the Jate and Java pushing. I think Dee kind of just goes with the flow, which is both a good and a bad thing. I do think Drake is ok with J&M because he knows about the fans and all but I do think he's sick of it. I can see why he would. Actors want to be challenged and are always looking for something fresh.
I feel for actors that are bored with daytime, and working in a medium where they play the same character. If they want to do something different they should go find work in theater or prime time or movies. Like it or not, daytime is unique and the actors who thrive in it know this. Drake has thrived in daytime, but if he's bored now, he should find other avenues to explore instead of expecting his fans to embrace this new character and forget the real John. I just don't find nuJohn appealing in any way.
Are you forgetting all the DRAKE fans who LOVE this new character? All the fans who were meh about John who LOVE Jawn?
Once again, you can't sum up the feelings of ALL his fans, because it's been pretty obvious there are Drake fans who don't feel the same way you do. And to say that maybe he needs to find a new job just because he's enjoying what he has now and you don't? I wonder which fans wanted him back after John's "death", but only on their terms.
It bugs me when the actors and their feelings are not taken into consideration. To hell with Drake and his personal feelings about his job! :huh:
OK, off my soapbox again.
Why should fans care what the actors want??

For PhoenixRising05:

First of all Drake owes NOTHING to Deidre Hall. The only person he owes is the casting director that saw some thing great in him when he went for the job interview. Obviously, it is all about Drake because Deidre was paired up leading men before Drake came on. Her pairing up with those men never came close to the pairing up with Drake. John and Marlena had six good months together, then Deidre left Days for 5 years. In that time Drake and Days soared and moved on without her.
Drake and Deidre owes the popularity of John and Marlena their natural chemisty together, and the John and Marlena fans who have supported them over the last 18+ years. I hope the actors at least realize this fact. Deidre has had two successful supercouple pairings, RoWayne and John,she and Don were a big hit. Drake only has J/M. Drake as John has been paired with Marlena,Diane, Rebecca,Kristen,Isabella, Gina,Kate and Ava and none of these have made the SC list and the last three were ratings nightmares and put the show on the cancelation block. If Drake is to be believed he was on the bb and unsure of his job during the Isabella pairing and J/Rebecca were never taken seriously by fans and tptb.

Drake_Cake
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 03:57 PM
Quote:

Drake has thrived in daytime, but if he's bored now, he should find other avenues to explore instead of expecting his fans to embrace this new character and forget the real John. I just don't find nuJohn appealing in any way.
Does Drake actually write the show? Did he demand that he be brought back with the single condition that he play a totally new character? OR is he doing the job he's paid for and he just happens to be having a blast with it?

I love this New John. I think he's refreshing and I love it when he keeps everyone else off-guard. It brings a new element to everyone's character when they interact with him.

DAYS has to evolve and as fun as the eighties were, you can't live in the past. You move forward and it seems that living in the past is becoming a death knell.
I love the nuJohn and I am enjoying everything this reinvention has brought to the show. If he is not going to stay around I hope the writers merge the two personas of old and new John.
Edited by Drake_Cake, Aug 2 2008, 06:49 PM.

CatherineEarnshaw

ladyofthelake
OK, my last take on this whole thing....Thaao Penglis has been bashed. And from what I understand, so has Drake. And, as far as Thaao fans doing the same thing, well, Thaao doesn't condone it, and neither does his fan club president, as far as I know. (I am not a member of his fan club, although I am close friends with members of his fan club. I'm not exactly sure why, in another post, Thaao fans were even brought up. I guess this is proving my point. A lot like Dena Higley. Cast suspicion away from us by pointing fingers at someone else...... :huh: ).
This just seems to be a lot of finger pointing and accusing back and scrambling to cover tail of a fanbase reputation that just seems to have grown worse over the years. The reputation is there, folks, and all the finger pointing and dodging in the world isn't going to cover it up. And nasty acting fanbases (I don't care WHOSE they are!) don't do their beloved actors a bit of good.
The sad thing is....so many members don't believe what they are doing is wrong. And, so many fans of certain actors are almost ashamed to say they are fans of these actors BECAUSE of these fanbases. It's a shame.
And, what in the hell does any of this have to do with Ava leaving? We've certainly taken the subject away from that, haven't we? Oh, well. Carry on. I've said my piece. I'm not going to get dragged into this mudslinging anymore unless it's to discuss Ava or Tamera Braun OUTSIDE of Marlena or Deidre Hall.
Oh, one more thing....yes, Drake has the CASTING director to thank. After all, I do believe Drake had an acting job outside of Days. Perhaps Deidre should be thanking DRAKE for putting her in a supercouple status, whereas Jed Allen and Wayne Northrop didn't? Not really, that is.
Carry on........
Fanbases? Do you really care? Besides, you just bashed Deidre.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 03:57 PM
Quote:

Do you want answers to those questions? I wouldn't know. I just know what he says in the magazines. He has said he wants to continue to play this new character.

I'm not sure why you brought up the 80s.... but nuJohn wouldn't exist if the show didn't revisit the pawn story with Stefano. Or is this nuJohn just some creation based on nothing from the show's history?

I get that Drake fans don't care if the character of John exists or not, or if the integrity of the John character is maintained, but I am a John fan who loves the character and wants the history of the character maintained and I don't see them doing much of that with this story. Hopefully they are bringing Stefano back to bring back this story to what it should be.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

Jia
Aug 2 2008, 10:12 AM
CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 1 2008, 10:37 AM
ladyofthelake
Aug 1 2008, 06:58 AM
Jiggs
Aug 1 2008, 01:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 1 2008, 01:05 AM
Drake's interviews have gotten weird since the coma and the whole real life fan incident but that Storms/Braun comparison is weird, if only because they played completely different roles and I can't even see how one can compare their acting styles, regardless of talent.

Whatever the case, sorry to see her go. Tamara will be missed and I do hope she returns some day.

I do like the way she leaves as it will leave John crushed and will make it hard for him to trust in a way. It leaves him in a volatile state just as Stefano returns. Good stuff.

I also want to add that Drake owes alot to Dee. It was the J&M pairing that really got his career going and put him in a situation where he could take off as an actor and character. I think Dee did to Drake what other beloved characters and their portrayers did for Dee in the 70's. By way of interacting with her and being in story and paired with her, he became big and his role went from a short-term gig to long-term, much like Dee's did thanks to those around her and the stories that were going on. I think Dee carried the pairing early on but in the 90's it was pretty equal as they both did their part. I do think at least Drake wants to try out other pairings, which is obvious from the Jate and Java pushing. I think Dee kind of just goes with the flow, which is both a good and a bad thing. I do think Drake is ok with J&M because he knows about the fans and all but I do think he's sick of it. I can see why he would. Actors want to be challenged and are always looking for something fresh.
I feel for actors that are bored with daytime, and working in a medium where they play the same character. If they want to do something different they should go find work in theater or prime time or movies. Like it or not, daytime is unique and the actors who thrive in it know this. Drake has thrived in daytime, but if he's bored now, he should find other avenues to explore instead of expecting his fans to embrace this new character and forget the real John. I just don't find nuJohn appealing in any way.
Are you forgetting all the DRAKE fans who LOVE this new character? All the fans who were meh about John who LOVE Jawn?
Once again, you can't sum up the feelings of ALL his fans, because it's been pretty obvious there are Drake fans who don't feel the same way you do. And to say that maybe he needs to find a new job just because he's enjoying what he has now and you don't? I wonder which fans wanted him back after John's "death", but only on their terms.
It bugs me when the actors and their feelings are not taken into consideration. To hell with Drake and his personal feelings about his job! :huh:
OK, off my soapbox again.
Why should fans care what the actors want??

For PhoenixRising05:

First of all Drake owes NOTHING to Deidre Hall. The only person he owes is the casting director that saw some thing great in him when he went for the job interview. Obviously, it is all about Drake because Deidre was paired up leading men before Drake came on. Her pairing up with those men never came close to the pairing up with Drake. John and Marlena had six good months together, then Deidre left Days for 5 years. In that time Drake and Days soared and moved on without her.
Moved on without her? Is that why they practically begged her to come back? They offered her three TV movies AND brought Wayne Northrop back to the show for her. Not to mention the money. She even said they made her an offer she couldn't refuse. I hardly call that moving on without her.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

jmluv
Aug 2 2008, 02:21 PM
ladyofthelake
Deidre should be thanking DRAKE for putting her in a supercouple status, whereas Jed Allen and Wayne Northrop didn't? Not really, that is.
Carry on........
:funny: I guess Roman and Marlena weren't that popular.

Posted Image

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Right, they only put unpopular couples on the cover of TV Guide. ;)

And that wasn't the only time Dee was on the cover. She had one by herself too. :cheer:

Scott
Member Avatar

No offense but I don't see how any of this pertains to Ava, Braun or her exit?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply