Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Ava's Good Bye
Topic Started: Jul 31 2008, 01:20 PM (7,350 Views)
ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Sadly, you are right too, JustJo.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CindyJean
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 4 2008, 12:08 PM
ArizonaDaze
Aug 4 2008, 11:57 AM
I respect all posters opinions and their right to watch for only their couple but I find it sad as an original viewer of Days that people tune out because of the direction (or lack of direction) their couple is taking. It would be nice if we were all fans of the show as a whole.
Amen! :hail: .
I second that amen.

e83talus
Member Avatar

JustJo
Aug 4 2008, 01:33 PM
Give me a decent show on the whole and I'll be a fan of the whole. For many years I was a fan of the whole (or most of it). Now I find the whole boring, disjointed, and a turn off. I think many fans of the show feel the same way... not just fan bases.
Days does not have the right to make me watch an awful show! That is what the remote is for. J&M were on a total of four months in 2007 and I endured that mess. I finally tuned out along with others because there is nothing to keep me here. This is Days fault not mine.

We have free will for a reason!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 4 2008, 12:04 AM

I also hate how it always comes back to the ratings as a measurement of something working. There have been shows out there putting out alot of quality and they have nothing in the ratings to so for it. Ratings can not be used to measure quality, especially in this day and age where soaps are lucky to just stay the same regardless of what they do. It seems like only stunts and gimmicks get rewarded nowadays and even that isn't working much anymore.
You may not be able to measure quality, since that's always subjective, but like it or not, the ratings are what the show goes by. I don't think it's a far reach to acknowledge that the quality of the shows has been in decline for years and the ratings reflect that. It just so happens that TPTB do all the wrong things to try to raise the ratings, from gimmicks, to stunt casting, to trying to appeal to teens. Steady good storytelling would solve the problem, imo.

jules

ArizonaDaze
I respect all posters opinions and their right to watch for only their couple but I find it sad as an original viewer of Days that people tune out because of the direction (or lack of direction) their couple is taking. It would be nice if we were all fans of the show as a whole.
Guess what? I used to be a fan of the whole show for many years. Unfortunately, the show has declined so much in the last several years that the only thing left for me is watching my favorites. I'm not directing this at you. but I'm so tired of blaming fans or groups of fans when the show is tanking instead of focusing on improving the show with some good stories. That's what will get me to become a fan of the whole show again.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

e83talus
Aug 4 2008, 06:30 AM
Ava is gone today. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance! :boobs:

After a two month Days ban in my house, I am back tomorrow with the disappearance of Ava and the Return of The Pheonix! :applause:

Come On Steffy Baby, do me right! :cheers:
yes, hopefully now the story can get back on track!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
DAYS is entertainment, and if it's not entertaining me I don't watch. I don't owe a TV show any kind of loyalty that would make me feel like I HAD to watch whether I enjoyed it or not. Life is hard enough.

hops
Member Avatar

jules
Aug 4 2008, 03:27 PM
ArizonaDaze
Guess what? I used to be a fan of the whole show for many years. Unfortunately, the show has declined so much in the last several years that the only thing left for me is watching my favorites. I'm not directing this at you. but I'm so tired of blaming fans or groups of fans when the show is tanking instead of focusing on improving the show with some good stories. That's what will get me to become a fan of the whole show again.
I agree jules. I'm not a general fan, but I'm still at least interested (and I used to watch the whole show too). But in the end it is the general fans that make and break the show. They are the ones that count in the ratings. I don't have a Nielsen box, I never have. Blame Ken Corday, blame NBC but please do not blame fans. Most of the stories that have aired over the past 5 years could have been okay, with just little changes here and there, it's usually the execution that leaves fans wanting. They always go to extremes and then end stories without payoffs or explanations. I know as a fan, I've never wanted that. The Steve/Kayla/Ava story is a good example. Fans wanted the fall out, they wanted it played out on screen, but did the writers listen to that? No. The actors involved were very vocal that the writers had no intention of addressing any of the fallout. In the end there were a few scenes, but it should have been just part of the story and happened months ago. So ya, the writers need to take responsibility for the mess they are in right now.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

jules
ArizonaDaze
For all our sakes, I wish that too. I guess I have just watched so long, that I am numb to all the bad. Call me crazy but I still watch. Old habits are hard to break :)

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Jules, Hops and Jiggs, you all have valid points too. I, too, would like to be entertained with good stories (utilizing characters I like is a bonus).

jules

hops
Aug 4 2008, 03:48 PM
jules
ArizonaDaze
I agree jules. I'm not a general fan, but I'm still at least interested (and I used to watch the whole show too). But in the end it is the general fans that make and break the show. They are the ones that count in the ratings. I don't have a Nielsen box, I never have. Blame Ken Corday, blame NBC but please do not blame fans. Most of the stories that have aired over the past 5 years could have been okay, with just little changes here and there, it's usually the execution that leaves fans wanting. They always go to extremes and then end stories without payoffs or explanations. I know as a fan, I've never wanted that. The Steve/Kayla/Ava story is a good example. Fans wanted the fall out, they wanted it played out on screen, but did the writers listen to that? No. The actors involved were very vocal that the writers had no intention of addressing any of the fallout. In the end there were a few scenes, but it should have been just part of the story and happened months ago. So ya, the writers need to take responsibility for the mess they are in right now.
ITA, and in terms of giving stories enough time to develop, I can only comment on the recent J&M ones. I heard that the Malex story was actually extended, so I can't see where J&M fans benefited from that. Next, they were put on the BB for the summer until Sheffer came along. I was actually happy with him at first because he gave them something to do and did have a big story planned for them that was cut in February...John was put in a coma and Marlena did nothing for months. Did I make noise? Yes, asked for J&M to be given a story. Instead they got to read letters and John was killed off. Did I make noise? Yes, I asked for John to come back. He did and it was supposed to be a J&M love story, but it became the furthest thing from it that was possible. Throwing Ava in when they knew the actress was leaving no sense and served only to alienate some fans and made them tune out. And as far as pairings with others J&M have been in so many triangles or had interlopers, that I've lost count. And most of those were given plenty of time to develop.

jules

ArizonaDaze
Aug 4 2008, 03:53 PM
Jules, Hops and Jiggs, you all have valid points too. I, too, would like to be entertained with good stories (utilizing characters I like is a bonus).
Thanks! I know it's frustrating for all of us.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jules
Aug 4 2008, 03:57 PM
hops
Aug 4 2008, 03:48 PM
jules
ArizonaDaze
ITA, and in terms of giving stories enough time to develop, I can only comment on the recent J&M ones. I heard that the Malex story was actually extended, so I can't see where J&M fans benefited from that. Next, they were put on the BB for the summer until Sheffer came along. I was actually happy with him at first because he gave them something to do and did have a big story planned for them that was cut in February...John was put in a coma and Marlena did nothing for months. Did I make noise? Yes, asked for J&M to be given a story. Instead they got to read letters and John was killed off. Did I make noise? Yes, I asked for John to come back. He did and it was supposed to be a J&M love story, but it became the furthest thing from it that was possible. Throwing Ava in when they knew the actress was leaving no sense and served only to alienate some fans and made them tune out. And as far as pairings with others J&M have been in so many triangles or had interlopers, that I've lost count. And most of those were given plenty of time to develop.
Wow, that's a lot of catering to us! I feel so special :flipoff:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
You would think they have the job of solving global warming. It really shouldn't be that hard to entertain people one hour a day.

JustJo
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Aug 4 2008, 05:03 PM
ArizonaDaze
You would think they have the job of solving global warming. It really shouldn't be that hard to entertain people one hour a day.
It is, after all, their job and area of expertise (supposedly). :sheep:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply