Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Steve and Kayla should have renewed their vows
Topic Started: Aug 1 2008, 11:26 AM (1,857 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I do think it would have fit better for S&K to be the ones to do it, but I don't really care about any of the couples renewing their vows.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:43 PM
Seriously, I do agree with you. Although, Bo and Hope probably appeal to more viewers across the board (and I'm saying this as a Steve and Kayla fan)....They never had a real reunion after the whole Chelsea/Ciara/Bo's Magic Sperm fiasco.
ROFL this is 3 times in one day we agree! You sure you're ok with those pain meds? :biggrin:

That's true about Chelsea/Ciara etc, but I wish they'd at least brought it up more over the past month or so, if that was the angle they wanted to take with it. My feeling is that this is a combination of realizing that Bope have been largely neglected, and needing a summer "big event". In other words, classic Higley.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Aug 5 2008, 04:50 PM
ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:43 PM
Seriously, I do agree with you. Although, Bo and Hope probably appeal to more viewers across the board (and I'm saying this as a Steve and Kayla fan)....They never had a real reunion after the whole Chelsea/Ciara/Bo's Magic Sperm fiasco.
ROFL this is 3 times in one day we agree! You sure you're ok with those pain meds? :biggrin:

That's true about Chelsea/Ciara etc, but I wish they'd at least brought it up more over the past month or so, if that was the angle they wanted to take with it. My feeling is that this is a combination of realizing that Bope have been largely neglected, and needing a summer "big event". In other words, classic Higley.
Probably true...about Bo AND those pain meds! :D
honestly, i don't think I had even taken any when I typed those words. How'ya like THEM apples? :P
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:54 PM
Probably true...about Bo AND those pain meds! :D
honestly, i don't think I had even taken any when I typed those words. How'ya like THEM apples? :P
LOL! Scary!

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 5 2008, 04:50 PM
My feeling is that this is a combination of realizing that Bope have been largely neglected, and needing a summer "big event". In other words, classic Higley.
That's my problem with the whole thing. I like Bo and Hope a lot. And, generally speaking, I'm all about schmoopy romantic things like vow renewals. But this just feels forced in some way. If they really wanted to make it some kind of payoff for everything Bo and Hope have been through in the last couple of years, then they really should have done more with the dialogue to build up to that and make it feel that way. I know that Bo's been planning it for a while and that's great, but there just hasn't been enough to really build up any excitement for it -- at least for me.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'm somebody too. Although I've been known to be wrong about things like that now and then.

Ellie

esp13
Aug 5 2008, 05:04 PM
That's my problem with the whole thing. I like Bo and Hope a lot. And, generally speaking, I'm all about schmoopy romantic things like vow renewals. But this just feels forced in some way. If they really wanted to make it some kind of payoff for everything Bo and Hope have been through in the last couple of years, then they really should have done more with the dialogue to build up to that and make it feel that way. I know that Bo's been planning it for a while and that's great, but there just hasn't been enough to really build up any excitement for it -- at least for me.
Excellent post. That's exactly how I feel. It will be enjoyable to watch, but it could just be so much more powerful and meaningful if it were backed up by a strong storyline.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:41 PM
There WAS build-up. This was written about several times on this board. On and off, Bo has discussed this surprise for Hope over the past few weeks.
Oh, well....
How is that any kind of buildup? Why is he doing it in the first place? So random...... :shrug:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Aug 5 2008, 10:58 PM
ladyofthelake
There WAS build-up. This was written about several times on this board. On and off, Bo has discussed this surprise for Hope over the past few weeks.
Oh, well....
How is that any kind of buildup? Why is he doing it in the first place? So random...... :shrug:
It is buildup because it all goes along with the past few years and what Bo and Hope have been through.

The whole Zack/Chelsea thing, the plane crash and Bo's father dying, Bo's illness and nearly dying, Hope being shot and the whole Ava situation, and now this latest situation with Philip and Victor. They've been tested and been through alot and that is what is driving Bo. He's mentioned it several times since June when this stuff was hinted at. He told Hope at dinner back then about how life was too short and after all they've been through, he felt something special was in order. I do agree that Steve and Kayla should be in line before Bo and Hope but I do think there is enough there and plenty of buildup to back up this Bo and Hope ceremony too. I don't think the show needs to blatantly build up to something. That goes back to JER-style writing where he built up something so much that it made it too obvious and it was annoying. You don't always have to spell things out for viewers. I think everyone knew what Bo was planning right after his dinner with Hope in June where he talked about everything they had been through and how he had something special planned. That and the "Summer of Romance" promos hinted at it too and they aired before the last segment of the episode a few times and Bo mentioned what he was planning a few times to family members last month. The surprise angle is part of the romance and aura of it all. He's sweeping Hope off her feet in a sense. It works for who they are IMO.

FanODays

Steve and Kayla should have had one once he regained his memory and Bope's should have been right after Ciara was born. For either of them to have it now is silly and the reasoning behind this, Bo's revelation while he was on his deathbed is simply translated into pandering to a fanbase which is one of the many things wrong with this show.

Keep in mind that I am a Bo and Hope fan from way back and am looking forward to this event, partially because Days used to do these events wonderfully, but it still annoys the hell out of me.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Aug 6 2008, 12:26 AM
Jiggs
Aug 5 2008, 10:58 PM
ladyofthelake
Oh, well....
It is buildup because it all goes along with the past few years and what Bo and Hope have been through.

The whole Zack/Chelsea thing, the plane crash and Bo's father dying, Bo's illness and nearly dying, Hope being shot and the whole Ava situation, and now this latest situation with Philip and Victor. They've been tested and been through alot and that is what is driving Bo. He's mentioned it several times since June when this stuff was hinted at. He told Hope at dinner back then about how life was too short and after all they've been through, he felt something special was in order. I do agree that Steve and Kayla should be in line before Bo and Hope but I do think there is enough there and plenty of buildup to back up this Bo and Hope ceremony too. I don't think the show needs to blatantly build up to something. That goes back to JER-style writing where he built up something so much that it made it too obvious and it was annoying. You don't always have to spell things out for viewers. I think everyone knew what Bo was planning right after his dinner with Hope in June where he talked about everything they had been through and how he had something special planned. That and the "Summer of Romance" promos hinted at it too and they aired before the last segment of the episode a few times and Bo mentioned what he was planning a few times to family members last month. The surprise angle is part of the romance and aura of it all. He's sweeping Hope off her feet in a sense. It works for who they are IMO.
Thank you, Tim.
Bo had almost lost his life. He lost the man he considered his real father. It wasn't too long ago he discovered a daughter he thought was fathered by someone else. I'd say those are life-evaluating situations that would call for a romantic man to want to renew his vows with his wife.
Not to mention, he almost lost said wife due to circumstances (Zach, Chelsea's meddling). Yes, the timing is off for that, but why pick nits? Hope is standing by his side on this whole Philip thing. He's got a kick ass wife who ISN'T afraid to kick ass to protect him, even if she has to kick HIS ass to do it.
Sure, I think this could also be Steve and Kayla's story, but they chose Bo and Hope. Both couples have reasons. Is it the best timing? Apparently, that's up for argument, because we have posters here who are giving good reasons WHY it's good timing, but others apparently disagree. But the fact that there are reasons, coupled with the hints that Bo has been dropping....well, that's good enough for this fan.
:D

Ives
Member Avatar

FanODays
Aug 6 2008, 09:10 AM
Steve and Kayla should have had one once he regained his memory and Bope's should have been right after Ciara was born. For either of them to have it now is silly and the reasoning behind this, Bo's revelation while he was on his deathbed is simply translated into pandering to a fanbase which is one of the many things wrong with this show.

Keep in mind that I am a Bo and Hope fan from way back and am looking forward to this event, partially because Days used to do these events wonderfully, but it still annoys the hell out of me.
Actually, I think the better time for S&K would have been after the brainwashing storyline. Almost right away after he got his memory back, they were dealing with the tarot card stuff.

Honestly, I would love it if they did something simple and intimate like the symbolic wedding in the snowy forest. Just the two of them with some heartfelt reflection and an exchange of rings. IMO, that was actually one of S&K's most romantic moments from the 1st run. And it came in the middle of all of the juicy angst of the Jack stuff and right on the heels of Kayla's rape (the next day Kayla tells Steve about the rape).

On a practical note, I am pretty sure that Stephen Nichols does not wear a wedding ring in real life. I think he lost his ring (maybe more than once) so he and his wife have something symbolic on the chains he wears.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I'd like to see them renew their vows but I'm not really going to begrudge Bo and Hope.
Edited by Tripp, Aug 6 2008, 02:02 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

So, I guess this is one time where TPTB might have made a mistake, but need to go with it and not jump on the STeve and Kayla renewal bandwagon. Not yet. Now, maybe down the road, there will be a mini-crisis with Joe, or maybe they'll almost lose Stephanie because of Melanie or something like that, and in a few months, Steve and Kayla could do a nice, romantic, private, sweet renewal with a montage. But, definitely, it needs to tie into the storyline instead of being an "event". So, if someone wants to move this idea over to the NBC board....... :P :D

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Steve and Kayla having a random vows renewal would have made a lot of sense since it's their 20 year anniversary of their boat wedding.

It would have played really well to honor that but I guess since they promised romance for Bope in their summer promo and since Payla has been backburnered stuck in EJ's apartment with Baby Joe they went with a random Bope vows renewal.

I'm sure it played nice and that's great for Bope fans they got some romance like they were promised.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^That is a good point.

The boat wedding was 20 years ago and that was Days highest rated episodes to date. Whatever the case, I think nothing should be taken away from Bo and Hope and how well this turned out. I look at this as a sign to fans that things are getting better and I think it's a major step in the right direction that the show focused an event like this on the vets and went back to the family and tradition that we've come to expect. That is what Days is and, while the show has been steadily improving in my eyes, the past few episodes have been classic Days. This is the Days fans know and love and I hope it's here to stay.

Mason

I like S&K (I know I'm part of a great few, LoL), but I'm not really upset. By now, I've just come to expect them to be playing second fiddle to every other couple on the show (except Tony and Anna).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Sadly, I agree Mason.

Steve and Kayla came back strong but now they are merely what J&J were before them...the third supercouple. Tanna has like almost no role, although now they have something that will hopefully lead to more. One mistake Days has consistently made since 2000 is that they push Bo and Hope and John and Marlena and any other couple is left in the dust. I think it just goes back to the discussion we've had numerous times and that is that Bo and Hope and J&M were huge in the 90's and they are more appealing to many of the core fans Days has now. Alot of the fans that enjoyed Steve and Kayla and Tony and Anna the first time around either don't watch or just seem outnumbered or whatever. I also think Days would've been wise to follow the model they used in the 90's Yes, J&J were around in the 90's but it was not the real version. When Matt and Missy returned, the show just messed everything up by tossing them from partner to partner. While the Jack/Greta pairing was nice, the show just did not do a good enough job showing more recent fans what the couple was about. The proper J&J dynamic was not shown in it's glory until right before they left in 2006. Up to then, there were only flashes.

Same goes for Steve and Kayla and Tony and Anna. There have been flashes but nothing else. They really should have had Kayla have other men in her life or the whole Ava thing should've came into play earlier and been longer. I think J&J, Steve/Kayla, and Tony/Anna needed threats to their relationship. Fans needed to see them fight to be together like Bo and Hope and J&M did in the 90's because, essentially, new and recent fans fell in love with those couples in the 90's, much like older fans did in the 80.s Older fans were reminded in the 90's of how much they loved those two couples and that is why those two fanbases are the ones catered too and the ones that seem to have the most impact.

I think other couples can still have that but Days needs to show fans why they were so special. Flashbacks isn't enough. The stories have to be good for it to work and so far, except for some flashes, that hasn't happened yet.

Ives
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 7 2008, 12:35 AM
I like S&K (I know I'm part of a great few, LoL), but I'm not really upset. By now, I've just come to expect them to be playing second fiddle to every other couple on the show (except Tony and Anna).
Well, although I do think the S&K fans are great :P , I don't necessarily think they are that small of a group. To be sure, they have not been given good storylines and their popularity is not the same as it was in their first run. At least message board wise ( I tend to go to a lot of boards), I think they have decent general support, some very devoted fans and some fans that don't like them. It tends to run that way for most couples as far as I can tell (although I will say Bope have the strongest mass appeal). And some boards tend to have stronger favorings (TWOP for example) while others (DR) tend to have less favorable views. Again, I see that for a lot of the couples - e,g., Shelle is loved by some boards while very despised on others.

But I do understand about lowering expectations. LOL At this point, I am just wondering if S&K will get a storyline which actually has a decent ending and hits the right emotional beats.

-Steve got his memory back in such a rush. The brainwashing storyline dragged on forever, had a one day wrap up, Kayla goes off screen for over a month (and, no, IWBASS did not require that much time off at all) and then it is written like it barely happened - any alluding to it was, by my guess, done strictly by Stephen in the way he may have added or tweaked some lines and played certain scenes.

-The Packet storyline was totally built up, and JKJ even mentioned in an interview how he was excited to work with Stephen and Mary Beth. Then it was just quickly yanked and wrapped up and I think JKJ got one day of scenes with them.

-The Ava storyline primarily dealt with Ava's POV which mainly bothered me because Kayla (and MBE) was pretty much sidelined except the last few days (in which she totally rocked her scenes). Then it was just dropped with no real resolution or fall out. Even though people accuse couple fans of only wanting happy stuff, I think most S&K fans were screaming for some big angst and fighting between S&K after all of that. We wrote asking for this to be an opportunity for S&K to deal with the fact that they had been apart for so long and got back together fairly quickly.

-The Baby Joe storyline could have been really good but it seemed to just die out after the big birthing event.

Overall, though, I really am a fan of Stephen and Mary Beth as actors and I can deal with some crappy storylines by just enjoying the performances that they can wring out of the mediocre stuff thrown at them.

Just to make it clear, I don't really think any S&K fans are begrudging this for Bo and Hope at all. It is great to see some romance and we can recognize that the timing would have been a bit awkward right now anyway.
Edited by Ives, Aug 7 2008, 12:00 PM.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Ives
Aug 7 2008, 11:59 AM
Mason
Aug 7 2008, 12:35 AM
Well, although I do think the S&K fans are great :P , I don't necessarily think they are that small of a group. To be sure, they have not been given good storylines and their popularity is not the same as it was in their first run. At least message board wise ( I tend to go to a lot of boards), I think they have decent general support, some very devoted fans and some fans that don't like them. It tends to run that way for most couples as far as I can tell (although I will say Bope have the strongest mass appeal). And some boards tend to have stronger favorings (TWOP for example) while others (DR) tend to have less favorable views. Again, I see that for a lot of the couples - e,g., Shelle is loved by some boards while very despised on others.

But I do understand about lowering expectations. LOL At this point, I am just wondering if S&K will get a storyline which actually has a decent ending and hits the right emotional beats.

-Steve got his memory back in such a rush. The brainwashing storyline dragged on forever, had a one day wrap up, Kayla goes off screen for over a month (and, no, IWBASS did not require that much time off at all) and then it is written like it barely happened - any alluding to it was, by my guess, done strictly by Stephen in the way he may have added or tweaked some lines and played certain scenes.

-The Packet storyline was totally built up, and JKJ even mentioned in an interview how he was excited to work with Stephen and Mary Beth. Then it was just quickly yanked and wrapped up and I think JKJ got one day of scenes with them.

-The Ava storyline primarily dealt with Ava's POV which mainly bothered me because Kayla (and MBE) was pretty much sidelined except the last few days (in which she totally rocked her scenes). Then it was just dropped with no real resolution or fall out. Even though people accuse couple fans of only wanting happy stuff, I think most S&K fans were screaming for some big angst and fighting between S&K after all of that. We wrote asking for this to be an opportunity for S&K to deal with the fact that they had been apart for so long and got back together fairly quickly.

-The Baby Joe storyline could have been really good but it seemed to just die out after the big birthing event.

Overall, though, I really am a fan of Stephen and Mary Beth as actors and I can deal with some crappy storylines by just enjoying the performances that they can wring out of the mediocre stuff thrown at them.

Just to make it clear, I don't really think any S&K fans are begrudging this for Bo and Hope at all. It is great to see some romance and we can recognize that the timing would have been a bit awkward right now anyway.
You said it all Ives, thanks from this Steve and Kayla fan. Always have been, always will be. You are right that Stephen and Mary Beth can rock almost any scene. I would like to see a vow renewal some day - during the winter in the snow would be perfect.

nanny7

I just want to see Steve and Kayla in a storyline. GIve me a break when you are able to watch them you can tell WHY they made Days Number one. There acting is just a notch above the rest. I am so tired of them getting the shaft. Thanks goodness when we see them they shine.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply