Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days not pleasing its audience
Topic Started: Aug 2 2008, 09:49 AM (4,125 Views)
CatherineEarnshaw

The assertion by some seems to be that the audience isn't willing to accept anything new. I am not against anything new, but it has to be grounded in what the history of the show is (if it applies to existing characters); if it is new characters, they have to be connected to existing characters.

The last time I remember a writer grounding a character into a consistent point of view was almost fifteen years ago with Sheri Anderson and James Reilly with Billie and Austin.

Since then, the characters seem to change for the exigencies of the plot. Nicole is a prime example. She starts out good; then with no explantion, she turns bad.

Then, her character blows in the wind over the next few years as the plot dictates. I find it hard to care about her (or any character) when their behavior isn't based in their history.

As for the supercouples, too much history has happened to see them with anyone else for most fans imo. So the trick is to give them new obstacles without trying to assassinate or destroy what made them appealing in the first place. Deidre and Drake, Peter and Kristian and Mary Beth and Stephen are consistently paired (even through the bad wrting) because the fans want it because they love their chemistry.

So soaps should be a blend of new and old but history must be respected. Any self respecting soap writer needs to read Marland about history.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 2 2008, 09:49 AM
The assertion by some seems to be that the audience isn't willing to accept anything new. I am not against anything new, but it has to be grounded in what the history of the show is (if it applies to existing characters); if it is new characters, they have to be connected to existing characters.

The last time I remember a writer grounding a character into a consistent point of view was almost fifteen years ago with Sheri Anderson and James Reilly with Billie and Austin.

Since then, the characters seem to change for the exigencies of the plot. Nicole is a prime example. She starts out good; then with no explantion, she turns bad.

Then, her character blows in the wind over the next few years as the plot dictates. I find it hard to care about her (or any character) when their behavior isn't based in their history.

As for the supercouples, too much history has happened to see them with anyone else for most fans imo. So the trick is to give them new obstacles without trying to assassinate or destroy what made them appealing in the first place. Deidre and Drake, Peter and Kristian and Mary Beth and Stephen are consistently paired (even through the bad wrting) because the fans want it because they love their chemistry.

So soaps should be a blend of new and old but history must be respected. Any self respecting soap writer needs to read Marland about history.

ICAM! Nice post.

JustJo
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Aug 2 2008, 10:07 AM
CatherineEarnshaw

ICAM! Nice post.
Good post. It's what's missing in Days.

Sariah
Member Avatar

ITA that character assassination for the sake of the plot is one of the HUGE problems at Days. This isn't helped by the fact that the headwriter position seems to change every six months to a year so that we bring in someone else who writes the characters the way they want instead of how the characters actually are.

And as far as pleasing its audience - I've seen posts before saying Days can't possibly please every fanbase, and I don't think it should have to. But it's not pleasing anyone. Better to please a majority than a minority as they're doing now.

CatherineEarnshaw

Sariah
Aug 2 2008, 10:23 AM
ITA that character assassination for the sake of the plot is one of the HUGE problems at Days. This isn't helped by the fact that the headwriter position seems to change every six months to a year so that we bring in someone else who writes the characters the way they want instead of how the characters actually are.

And as far as pleasing its audience - I've seen posts before saying Days can't possibly please every fanbase, and I don't think it should have to. But it's not pleasing anyone. Better to please a majority than a minority as they're doing now.
good post

JustJo
Member Avatar

Sariah

I agree. You can't blow off most of the fanbases and expect people to tune in.

e83talus
Member Avatar

JustJo
Aug 2 2008, 10:29 AM
Sariah

I agree. You can't blow off most of the fanbases and expect people to tune in.
Which is what they have done by breaking up all of the popular couples (J&M, Lumi, Ejami, Phloe, Chick) and/or backburning the one's that are still together (S&K, Tanna, &Bope). I don't mind mixing it up, but not everyone at once. Days is just a sex free for all right now with newbies like Ava, Dan, and Trent getting more screen than people who have been on this show for years!

spring

ITA, with you all!!!

Has any of these writers "ever" had a real relationship...or even real romance!! They sure need to get the gist of how to write them!!!

The worst part is writing the character to "fit the s/l"...that just makes everyone wonder "where did that come from"???
You have to fit the s/l around the characters true personality!!
They have "killed" the happy family that is the basis for the show. I know everyone can't be happy all the time, BUT the anchored couples should be the anchor of the show. Then the new s/l /new characters evolve and the anchor family solves their problem.... they can't always BE the problem!
Things have to have a consistency, you have to become invested in a character, relationship, etc., if not...no one cares enough to want to find out what is going on...hence, the free of all we have now!!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw

You obviously haven't paid attention to Nicole's history.

ginababe
BANNED

In my opinion it's the lack of continuity and direction. One day you think the story is headed in one direction and the next day you have no clue, so you don't know what to root for.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

So you want the show to tell you who or what to root for instead of deciding that for yourself.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

CatherineEarnshaw
you must have missed the saga of her becoming Lucas' bought trophy wife, and becoming miserable and a drunk because she lost what at the time was the love of her life in Eric Brady.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 2 2008, 01:02 PM
So you want the show to tell you who or what to root for instead of deciding that for yourself.
I can't speak for who that was directed to, but I can speak for myself.

Many times in my 38 years of watching soap operas story has dictated who I root for. I for one do not get stuck on one character and root for them no matter what - never have and never will. I don't even pick one type of character and always root for them.

Direction of story and so forth do that for me. That is what being a fan of the whole show means. I have always been a fan of Sami and even though I didn't root for her many times, I still enjoyed her. But the direction of the way she has been written last year and even some this year have ruined the character for me. I cannot root for the whiny little wimpy Sami at all.

Often times characters do things that are inexcusable - even characters I have rooted for in the past. I was a big EJ fan until he raped Sami. That caused me to no longer root for him. I still like James Scott, but the direction of the story caused me not to root for the character.

I am not a fan who will make excuses for my fave. I deal with the writing as it is and that is all I can deal with. I hate when a fan will justify what their favorite is doing by saying well that is the way he is being written right now. It leaves me going WTF because it is a soap opera and the way the character is being written is how he is - it is there now - it is part of that character's history now and it is what we have to deal with - it is what is on screen.

imissstefano
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 2 2008, 02:35 PM
Sindacco

Many times in my 38 years of watching soap operas story has dictated who I root for. I for one do not get stuck on one character and root for them no matter what - never have and never will. I don't even pick one type of character and always root for them.

Direction of story and so forth do that for me. That is what being a fan of the whole show means. I have always been a fan of Sami and even though I didn't root for her many times, I still enjoyed her. But the direction of the way she has been written last year and even some this year have ruined the character for me. I cannot root for the whiny little wimpy Sami at all.

Often times characters do things that are inexcusable - even characters I have rooted for in the past. I was a big EJ fan until he raped Sami. That caused me to no longer root for him. I still like James Scott, but the direction of the story caused me not to root for the character.

I am not a fan who will make excuses for my fave. I deal with the writing as it is and that is all I can deal with. I hate when a fan will justify what their favorite is doing by saying well that is the way he is being written right now. It leaves me going WTF because it is a soap opera and the way the character is being written is how he is - it is there now - it is part of that character's history now and it is what we have to deal with - it is what is on screen.
Now that is a damn good post. :rockon:

I feel the same way. I'm a huge J&M fan, but if John and/or Drake is acting like a fucking retard, then I'm going to call them out for being a fucking retard. It's really simple.

ths59

She didn't lose Eric she chose the 5 million Kate offered her to marry Lucas so he could get custody of Will while Sami was in jail for murdering Franco.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 2 2008, 02:35 PM
Sindacco

Exactly!

Marlena is being written awfully right now. The wishy washy, I don't know thing is simply not her. I love her but she really has to stop talking about that darn disc! I have really grown to hate that disc.

I hate NuJohn because he is an unfeeling jerk, and yes I get that he has no emotions but if he doesn't care about anyone who he hurts why should I care about him. The writers have to give me something to feel for and have yet to deliver with Jawn!

I like EJ and Ejami but I think Sheffer et al, did a huge disservice to fans of the show by making him rape Sami. This wil continue to cause many to hate EJ because that action is unforgiveable especially if you claim to love the person you raped!

Its complicated yet somewhat simple.

ginababe
BANNED

Sindacco
Where in my post did I say that? I obviously am one that choses to root for who I like not who I should like, but by direction I mean that there needs to be some sense for the audience of where the story is going. With no direction or lack of direction interest in that story wanes because yes, we become indifferent to the characters because we no longer know what to "root" for. That is what I meant.

ginababe
BANNED

I will say this, that in the past week or so, I have seen some direction, that gives me hope.

CatherineEarnshaw

Sindacco
Aug 2 2008, 12:43 PM
CatherineEarnshaw

You obviously haven't paid attention to Nicole's history.
I have though.

hops
Member Avatar

Quote:

Exactly!

Marlena is being written awfully right now. The wishy washy, I don't know thing is simply not her. I love her but she really has to stop talking about that darn disc! I have really grown to hate that disc.

I hate NuJohn because he is an unfeeling jerk, and yes I get that he has no emotions but if he doesn't care about anyone who he hurts why should I care about him. The writers have to give me something to feel for and have yet to deliver with Jawn!

I like EJ and Ejami but I think Sheffer et al, did a huge disservice to fans of the show by making him rape Sami. This wil continue to cause many to hate EJ because that action is unforgiveable especially if you claim to love the person you raped!

Its complicated yet somewhat simple.

But nuJohn does have emotions. He gets angry, he seems a little sad sometimes when he talks to Marlena, he enjoys cigars and drinking and wants revenge from Philip. What nuJohn is missing is a heart and soul.
Edited by hops, Aug 2 2008, 05:53 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply