Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days not pleasing its audience
Topic Started: Aug 2 2008, 09:49 AM (4,133 Views)
FanODays

Tricky
Aug 5 2008, 12:46 AM
ladyofthelake
Aug 4 2008, 01:36 PM
Tricky
Aug 4 2008, 03:51 AM
as a member of a fanbase i wont accept any resposibility for this mess DOOL is in, sure i dont watch when the stories arent good for the characters i like...that doesnt make it my fault or any fanbases fault imo. they should write better for who the majority of fans want to see...i just know there is a way to find out who the majority is in this day and time especially, i will never believe there isnt a way...this isnt brain surgery...its just a soap opera...a soap opera that has my fav characters on it not being written true to character thats why i have been tuning out these past two months. i wont take the blame for horrible writing.
Maybe you tried calling the comment line one too many times on speed dial.... :D

I honestly don't think you're getting the point. The crappy writing, in part, has to do with trying to make fanbases happy. Ejami fanbase included. Your signature itself indicates that you're pretty adament about wanting your way,hell or high water. So, if TPTB wants to make all EJami fans happy, then Lumi fans will be unhappy. Then they try to make Lumi fans happy, and Ejami fans aren't happy. SEE THE PATTERN????
in which case they need to just pick what couple they are gonna write for and cut their losses on whichever viewers they lose. there is no way they wont lose the spurned viewers who lose and dont get their couple no matter what they do so just have it done with. and i have never been rude or obnoxious on the comment line just tell it like it is but very politely you dont catch many bees with vinegar you gotta use honey!
I disagree to an extent. Days should pick what characters they are going to write for and then stick to it HOWEVER, they should take the attitude that the story will be so kick-ass good (and make it so kick ass good) that those opposed to the characters start rooting for them.

Currently Days is trying to cater to all fanbases and falling on their asses. The characters are taking a beating and the fans are fed up. I really think there is a calender in the writers room telling them which fanbase they are going to try and appease on that day.

At the end of the day its about quality writing more than anything. Characers and couples have come and gone as proof that no one couple or character is THAT essential to the show but when the quality of the writing is gone, so are the viewers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tricky
just tell it like it is but very politely you dont catch many bees with vinegar you gotta use honey!
I'm not after bees. If I wanted bees, I'd go to my hummingbird feeder. I try to get my point across in as many ways possible, and sometimes a good smack and vinegar is what's needed. Apparently, nothing works, though.
Although, i guess I could say, "Dear Tricky, I sincerely hope you will consider all the aspects of the show and don't get caught up too much into it. I really worry about you. Ejami truly isn't worth it, in the large scheme of things" There, is that honey enough? If that doesn't work, I'll go back to my vinegar. :D

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Quote:

well, until WE the viewers can reach a consensus on what we consider an entertaining story (and I ain't holding my breath) I wish tiic luck in trying to read our minds...sounds like a thankless job.

Another good post :hail: .

It's what I've been saying all along. Too much fan division...to many fans wanting different types of stories and styles. Then you have some fans that want something this week and a few weeks later want something else after getting something they want. It's just a mess and it's a big reason why the show is a mess at times.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Tricky
Aug 5 2008, 12:53 AM
DolceDiMera
Aug 4 2008, 12:39 PM
Tricky
as a member of a fanbase i wont accept any resposibility for this mess DOOL is in, sure i dont watch when the stories arent good for the characters i like...that doesnt make it my fault or any fanbases fault imo. they should write better for who the majority of fans want to see...i just know there is a way to find out who the majority is in this day and time especially, i will never believe there isnt a way...this isnt brain surgery...its just a soap opera...a soap opera that has my fav characters on it not being written true to character thats why i have been tuning out these past two months. i wont take the blame for horrible writing.
Only two months? Aren't you a Sami fan?
yeah i am a sami fan shes my fav female, and yeah thru may it was bearable but june and july took many huge turns for the worse and people got fed up judging from the back to back to back ratings drops thru both these months...thru out june and july every week when ratings came out more drastic losses of viewers...and of course it wasnt just sami written out of character but almost every person on the show i didnt recognize: nicole, john, marlena, sami, ej just to name a few
May was the month Sami had sex with EJ so no wonder it was bearable for you. I'm not a Sami fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't et the notion that the last two months have made you stop watching in part because Sami was written out of character. I think it has more to do with things not going the way you wanted them to go for Ejami, and him being with a new woman, because Sami has been like a new character since early 2007, it's not a process that happened just over the last 2 months.

Tricky
Member Avatar

DolceDiMera
Aug 5 2008, 12:15 PM
Tricky
Aug 5 2008, 12:53 AM
DolceDiMera
Tricky
yeah i am a sami fan shes my fav female, and yeah thru may it was bearable but june and july took many huge turns for the worse and people got fed up judging from the back to back to back ratings drops thru both these months...thru out june and july every week when ratings came out more drastic losses of viewers...and of course it wasnt just sami written out of character but almost every person on the show i didnt recognize: nicole, john, marlena, sami, ej just to name a few
May was the month Sami had sex with EJ so no wonder it was bearable for you. I'm not a Sami fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't et the notion that the last two months have made you stop watching in part because Sami was written out of character. I think it has more to do with things not going the way you wanted them to go for Ejami, and him being with a new woman, because Sami has been like a new character since early 2007, it's not a process that happened just over the last 2 months.
i wish i could say in all honesty it was just the ej and sami stuff. but no it wasnt june and july have been awful across the canvas, so many characters acting out of character, this whole john and ava mess, and just people being thrown together with no build up...just for the purpose of sex, all i know now is dool is looking much better for the first two weeks of august and whoever has written this upcoming stuff i hope they continue to write stuff like this....

i do agree with you about sami she has been a sniveling mess for a long time now but with june and july it just became egregious. and not just with sami but many other characters as well.

Tricky
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 08:24 AM
Tricky
just tell it like it is but very politely you dont catch many bees with vinegar you gotta use honey!
I'm not after bees. If I wanted bees, I'd go to my hummingbird feeder. I try to get my point across in as many ways possible, and sometimes a good smack and vinegar is what's needed. Apparently, nothing works, though.
Although, i guess I could say, "Dear Tricky, I sincerely hope you will consider all the aspects of the show and don't get caught up too much into it. I really worry about you. Ejami truly isn't worth it, in the large scheme of things" There, is that honey enough? If that doesn't work, I'll go back to my vinegar. :D
no worry about me lol, i am just a consumer of dool, every day when its show time, its like me picking up a product for sale on a shelf in a store, if i like the product enough i will give it my time/money, if not i will leave it at the store/turn off the tv, and commence letter writing to the powers that be, i agree sometimes a stern approach (vinegar) gets results but in my experience charm and positivity(honey) are the keys to achieving what i want whether it be what i expect from my show or anything else in life.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

thereyougo
Aug 4 2008, 05:42 PM
CinderAngelkc
Aug 4 2008, 02:37 PM
DolceDiMera
Tricky
Thank you. That is the exact point and Lumi and EJami are the best example because they split the fanbase almost evenly. Someone wins and someone loses and if we are just fans of one couple the show loses. I don't know about anyone else but that isn't the way it used to be. The writing has been better and worse over the years. But never do I remember fans being so biased and so "it's my way or the highway" while watching Days.
Bill Bell, former EP for Y&R during its heyday was asked about his long standing success, and he replied .." the writers takes chances and pushes the envelop, but they always have their hands on the pulse of the audience, when they feel they're losing the pulse of the audience, they take the story/character into a different direction. The problem with Days is tiic don't know how to read the audience, hince they don't know when to turn a story around. They always wait until they've lost hundreds of thousands of viewers before writing what they know their viewers want to see.
Another spot on post! :hail:

Mason
Member Avatar

I can accept new things.

What I can't accept is boring crap.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
Aug 5 2008, 03:57 PM
thereyougo
CinderAngelkc
DolceDiMera
Tricky
Thank you. That is the exact point and Lumi and EJami are the best example because they split the fanbase almost evenly. Someone wins and someone loses and if we are just fans of one couple the show loses. I don't know about anyone else but that isn't the way it used to be. The writing has been better and worse over the years. But never do I remember fans being so biased and so "it's my way or the highway" while watching Days.
Bill Bell, former EP for Y&R during its heyday was asked about his long standing success, and he replied .." the writers takes chances and pushes the envelop, but they always have their hands on the pulse of the audience, when they feel they're losing the pulse of the audience, they take the story/character into a different direction. The problem with Days is tiic don't know how to read the audience, hince they don't know when to turn a story around. They always wait until they've lost hundreds of thousands of viewers before writing what they know their viewers want to see.
But once again, what if reading the audience correctly doesn't involve your favorites? After all, there was a ratings surge in summer 2006 when both Marlena and John were off-canvas. Course, we know that ratings aren't the be-all and end-all of measurements, but they're sure used a lot by other posters, so I'm just throwing that out there.
Sure, I agree with what Bell says. BUT, what if the audience pulse means sacrificing what YOU want?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Aug 5 2008, 04:00 PM
I can accept new things.

What I can't accept is boring crap.
And there you have it! :D

Tricky
Member Avatar

if reading the audience correctly doesnt involve my favorites then i will accept defeat, walk away, no regrets....but all i have seen and read indicates to me that my favs have a lot to offer as far as the ratings going up not down...jmo. i mean in some cases they are gonna lose the viewership of either this fanbase or that one, they cant have both they should just make a decision and stick to it.
Edited by Tricky, Aug 5 2008, 10:29 PM.

madelinehawaii

Jiggs
thereyougo
CinderAngelkc
DolceDiMera
Tricky
perhaps I should resist the urge, but now I'm curious just how either of you think this could be done? I mean, since you both sound so adamant that it's possible and that it would solve the problem, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why think this is the case?

madelinehawaii

PhoenixRising05
Aug 5 2008, 11:36 AM
Quote:

well, until WE the viewers can reach a consensus on what we consider an entertaining story (and I ain't holding my breath) I wish tiic luck in trying to read our minds...sounds like a thankless job.

It's what I've been saying all along. Too much fan division...to many fans wanting different types of stories and styles. Then you have some fans that want something this week and a few weeks later want something else after getting something they want. It's just a mess and it's a big reason why the show is a mess at times.
my favorite group is the one that says the want something, and then they get it and still complain.

and I suspect some of us have become jaded over the years as well, so that nothing lives up to our memories. I'll happily to admit to this

madelinehawaii

ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:51 PM
Jiggs
thereyougo
CinderAngelkc
DolceDiMera
Tricky
But once again, what if reading the audience correctly doesn't involve your favorites? After all, there was a ratings surge in summer 2006 when both Marlena and John were off-canvas. Course, we know that ratings aren't the be-all and end-all of measurements, but they're sure used a lot by other posters, so I'm just throwing that out there.
Sure, I agree with what Bell says. BUT, what if the audience pulse means sacrificing what YOU want?
I swear ratings are like the nation economy...they can be used by nearly any fanbase to shore up nearly any argument because there are so many variables.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

madelinehawaii
Aug 5 2008, 10:43 PM
PhoenixRising05
Quote:

my favorite group is the one that says the want something, and then they get it and still complain.

and I suspect some of us have become jaded over the years as well, so that nothing lives up to our memories. I'll happily to admit to this
Exactly and that is why Days is having trouble reading the audience. If some change their minds or reject what they said they wanted, what is there to do? Your essentially back to the drawing board.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

madelinehawaii
Aug 5 2008, 10:49 PM
ladyofthelake
Aug 5 2008, 04:51 PM
Jiggs
thereyougo
CinderAngelkc
DolceDiMera
Tricky
I swear ratings are like the nation economy...they can be used by nearly any fanbase to shore up nearly any argument because there are so many variables.
Yep. They sure can.

Just go into ratings threads. The ratings are twisted in more ways then a pretzel.

The ratings system is atrocious and shouldn't be used to measure anything but that's another topic LOL.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Quote:

I would say it is the writers who don't have a well thought out plan of where they want to take a story, and do not have a clear vision of who the characters are. They flip flop around. It is not the audience that is fickle, it's the writers who don't care what has happened before they took over or in some cases, even what they wrote themselves the week before. They have to stop assuming the audience is stupid. If they write themselves into a corner, they need to write themselves out of it in an intelligent way and make it part of the story. The audience is only reacting to what is presented to them. Why would an audience watch something that is not entertaining to them? Watching a Soap is not supposed to be like taking medicine that you are allergic to. No TV program should be like that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Aug 6 2008, 12:35 AM
PhoenixRising05
Quote:

I would say it is the writers who don't have a well thought out plan of where they want to take a story, and do not have a clear vision of who the characters are. They flip flop around. It is not the audience that is fickle, it's the writers who don't care what has happened before they took over or in some cases, even what they wrote themselves the week before. They have to stop assuming the audience is stupid. If they write themselves into a corner, they need to write themselves out of it in an intelligent way and make it part of the story. The audience is only reacting to what is presented to them. Why would an audience watch something that is not entertaining to them? Watching a Soap is not supposed to be like taking medicine that you are allergic to. No TV program should be like that.
I don't think you are seeing the point.

The point is the writers do have a plan but the plan always gets changed. Why? Because there is no grace period anymore. Just go back to as recently as ten years ago. Writers made mistakes then too but fans were more patient and execs were too. They would stay the course and if something flopped, it wouldn't just go away. it would lead to something else that may or may not be more successful. The writers would not just sweep it under the rug no matter how stupid it was. Now, that doesn't work. WhY? Because at Days it can't work. Corday and co see any hint of fan upset and they react and completely change things, which pisses another group off and then the cycle repeats itself over and over. It's like every action has a reaction that forces another action and then another and then another. As a result, there is never any consistency and the show never can breathe and allow itself to even take the flops it has and use it to help produce something better.

Add to that the fact that some fans will say they want one thing and then completely change their minds and reject it when they get it and the show is just a mess with no clue as to how to fix it because some fans are indecisive and the fans, in general, are divided.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 6 2008, 12:50 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
PhoenixRising05
Quote:

LOL hops!!! You always put things in great perspective!

madelinehawaii

hops
PhoenixRising05
Quote:

that's like saying only one half of a couple is responsible for a divorce lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply