Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days; By Lynda Hirsch
Topic Started: Aug 2 2008, 03:29 PM (5,195 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272621859.shtml

Quote:

Soaps: A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days of Our Lives?

By Lynda Hirsch
Aug 1, 2008

For weeks I have been trying to get an interview with "Days of Our Lives" Co-Executive Producer Ed Scott. It was going to be an easy chat. Scott was into "being green" over two decades ago when his old soap "Young and Restless" celebrated a "save the earth" green day every year. Now Scott seemed to be "greening" "Days of Our Lives."

Soaps: A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days of Our Lives?

The request for the interview was always answered with, "He is really busy right now." Seemed odd -- this was to be a positive interview about a guy I have known for years and was really an ecological front-runner. So why the "He is so busy right now"? The guy hates me? Nah. Doubt he even thinks about me. Is he afraid the interview will get into the "What's going on in the story line" questions? Nope. Scott would know how to handle those questions if they came up.

Now I know the reason for the "Maybe in a few weeks" answer. Things are not a day at the beach on "Days of Our Lives." There are rumors of a palace coup. It seems Scott is not happy with the show's newly hired head writer Dena Higley.

Higley returned to "Days of our Lives'" writing team after a three-year break from the show. Higley spent three years writing for "One Life To Live." She won a writing Emmy this year for her work. According TV Guide Canada's Nelson Branco, Scott has been rewriting nearly all of Higley's work.

"He's been writing and rewriting story, dialogue and scenes for weeks and weeks," a source told Branco. "He's also encouraged actors, including one overblown diva, to rewrite not just her own lines, but also her scene partners." I know who the unnamed diva is, and she has been doing that for years to all the writers and all her scene partners. The gal even redecorates sets. So her line changing is hardly anything new.

The Writers Guild of America is going to bat for Higley. To add more kindling to the flames, during the writer's strike Higley was writing scripts even though she did not have permission to do so.

Sony Pictures, which owns and distributes "Days," does not want to go head to head with WGA. They want Higley to continue as head writer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

I know who the unnamed diva is, and she has been doing that for years to all the writers and all her scene partners. The gal even redecorates sets. So her line changing is hardly anything new.

Even other jornalists know who she is. I'd like to know just to satisfy my own curiosity. :laugh:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Thanks!

Looks like Hirsch is just replaying the story Branco gave - nothing new. I sure hope Higley is gone!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Can we please just learn who the fucking diva is for certain already? I'm tired of all the stupid speculation.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Jiggs
Aug 2 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks!

Looks like Hirsch is just replaying the story Branco gave - nothing new. I sure hope Higley is gone!
Except for the fact that she knows who the diva is too :laugh:

Edited by Rick, Aug 2 2008, 03:54 PM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

This is not the same story that Nelson is giving. She is adding more details. I hope this will show others that people are hearing this stuff too and give Nelson a break for awhile. I can't believe how quickly folks have thrown Nelson out with the dishwater.

People like Hirsch would not put their reputations at stake nor would the guy at Soap Central if there wasn't more to this than Nelson's word.

And P.S. I would like to know who the diva is too.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 2 2008, 04:02 PM
This is not the same story that Nelson is giving. She is adding more details. I hope this will show others that people are hearing this stuff too and give Nelson a break for awhile. I can't believe how quickly folks have thrown Nelson out with the dishwater.

People like Hirsch would not put their reputations at stake nor would the guy at Soap Central if there wasn't more to this than Nelson's word.

Absolutely. This pretty much confirm's Nelson's story.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

What Diva would that be?

I can only think of one who would have that power to demand anything.

aimees76
Member Avatar

OMG, now my curiosity is rekindled. Argh! I wanna know SOOO bad! :popcorn:

Regardless of whether its a fave of mine or not .. I still want to know.
And I never doubted Nelson, or his intentions. Its not his fault. :shame:
Edited by aimees76, Aug 2 2008, 04:29 PM.

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

It said she has been doing this for years,even down to re decorating sets.The only one on Days it could be is Deidre,unless its an oldtimer like the actress playing character CaROLine

Jonatha

Kenny
Aug 2 2008, 04:06 PM
Steve Frame
Aug 2 2008, 04:02 PM

Absolutely. This pretty much confirm's Nelson's story.
Thanks for posting this, Ricky. And yep who the heck is the 'Diva'? I guess we'll all have to wait it out.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

The gal even redecorates sets.

Ok, this makes me think of my first suspision of who the "overblown diva" was.....remember a certain picture being hung in the DiMansion a couple of months back and who picked it out???? JMO!!!

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

JANALH
Aug 2 2008, 04:33 PM

Ok, this makes me think of my first suspision of who the "overblown diva" was.....remember a certain picture being hung in the DiMansion a couple of months back and who picked it out???? JMO!!!
Hmmm, now that sounds like a very intriguing piece of the puzzle and if fits perfectly.

King
Member Avatar

Nelson is amazing, and I did not for one second doubt his scoop.

Ed Scott is kind of on my nerves too. Oy.

hops
Member Avatar

Dayzfan
Aug 2 2008, 04:29 PM
It said she has been doing this for years,even down to re decorating sets.The only one on Days it could be is Deidre,unless its an oldtimer like the actress playing character CaROLine
Really? If Deidre had that much power, don't you think she would be writing herself some better material? And why would she have been reading letters for 6 months? Think about it, who has been promoted and been given all the story etc. in the past few years? I think the person that everyone thinks it is, Alison Sweeney is. Personally, I'd just like some good stories. TIIC at NBC and Sony haven't got a clue.

Drake_Cake
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Aug 2 2008, 04:42 PM
JANALH

Hmmm, now that sounds like a very intriguing piece of the puzzle and if fits perfectly.
Doesn't it though!!!! :OhMy: I didn't even think of that.
Edited by Drake_Cake, Aug 2 2008, 05:54 PM.

squee
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
JANALH

It doesn't fit at all with what Nelson said.

He referred to one as an "overblown diva", etc. and yet in his listing of the 21 most powerful, one of the liabilities he cited for Ed Scott was "itís hard to ignore that the soap is criminally underusing Deidre Hall (Marlena)."

peaches179

Here we go again. :eyeroll:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

I heard it was Alison Sweeney, several days ago. She has been at Days since 1993.

hops
Member Avatar

squee
Aug 2 2008, 05:31 PM
SpriteEyes
JANALH

It doesn't fit at all with what Nelson said.

He referred to one as an "overblown diva", etc. and yet in his listing of the 21 most powerful, one of the liabilities he cited for Ed Scott was "itís hard to ignore that the soap is criminally underusing Deidre Hall (Marlena)."
Exactly.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply