Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days; By Lynda Hirsch
Topic Started: Aug 2 2008, 03:29 PM (5,242 Views)
FanODays

Rakesh198
Aug 2 2008, 09:00 PM
FanODays
Aug 2 2008, 08:58 PM
So now Ed Scott is the baddie because of this story and he's behind the green?

All I know is that I bet I know who never gets another interview with him.

I don't get how people are jumping to the conclusion that its Deidre who is rewriting scenes. Didn't we just hear about how another actress personalized some upcoming scenes and read about how she rewrote scenes in the blog of an ex-writer?
Can't we speculate?
Of course and can't I counter speculate?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well this article does sound more like Deidre than Alison (especially thinking back on that other rumor that came out not that long ago about clashes over Dena's ideas for pairings and Deidre's rumored divaness), but I am about beyond caring at this point which one is the diva or if neither of them are the diva because the most important thing to me in Nelson's original story - Dena Higley no longer being DOOL's head writer - is not operable at this point it appears unfortunately.

lascuba

I find it very interesting how both Nelson and this article both give such a positive spin on Higley--she won an Emmy for her work on OLTL? I guess if you want to get reeaallly technical...

(and I don't even hate Higley as much as most. Because as bad as she is, she's still better than Hogan.)

As for the "diva"...I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be dumb enough to refer to herself as the HW out loud. Also, is ANY female character getting even half-way decent material? (Nicole's the only one, and supposedly this diva issue has been going on for years, so AZ is out). If whoever the actress in question really had that much power, then she is also incredibly stupid, because she sure hasn't done her character any favors. I think there is absolutely nothing to that rumor.
Edited by lascuba, Aug 2 2008, 09:37 PM.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Good gravy, how does the word "diva", automatically bring to mind Deidre in this fiasco? She's hardly even been ON, and when she has been, she's been such a whiney, wishy washy version of Marlena that I don't even recognize the character. After playing this character for 30 + years, (and yes before the lovely Drakers start throwing it up, I am aware she was gone for 5 years) I do believe she might have a better feel for her character than this out of character nitwit that is walking around in Salem right now.

I believe it was already mentioned that it was Alison Sweeney, and I am sorry, I am prone to believe that she is capable of doing just what has been mentioned. Of course, that could be my dislike for the actress, and the fact she is always in my face coming out... Seriously, I do not need to see that bitch's face even on Shear Genius... media whore anyone?
Edited by destinyrules, Aug 2 2008, 10:23 PM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Aug 2 2008, 07:34 PM
ElvisDiMera
Aug 2 2008, 07:33 PM
jane1978
Aug 2 2008, 06:21 PM
Oh, nice. So Ed Scott is the one who forced in all the green talk.
No way. That is NBC. They have forced it on a bunch of their shows like 3rd Rock, for example. The "Green crap" started in early 2007 well before Ed Scott showed up. Peter Reckell is also really into it so he might have something to do with it but I know for fact NBC is dictating some of it, if not all of it.
Ed Scott is also into it.
Yeah but into it doesn't mean he is the reason the stuff is happening on the air as the article suggests. Because it did start well before Ed Scott ever was apart of Days (Ed had nothing to do with the May 2007 "Green Wedding")and NBC is pushing it on their shows.

erikas12
Member Avatar

If there is an overblown Diva has anyone stopped to think that it may not be a female? Why is it that women always get the bad rap when it comes to stuff like this? I don't think it's Deidre because as many have said I can't see her being so dang dumb to write her character in such a horrible way. What sense would that make at all? Now there have been a few male and female who's characters have recently been featured heavily and Deidre has not been one of them, but I'm sure that those who have this irrational hatred of her will find a way to spin it-even if it makes them look like idiots- to show that Deidre is the one.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

erikas12
Aug 2 2008, 10:30 PM
If there is an overblown Diva has anyone stopped to think that it may not be a female? Why is it that women always get the bad rap when it comes to stuff like this? I don't think it's Deidre because as many have said I can't see her being so dang dumb to write her character in such a horrible way. What sense would that make at all? Now there have been a few male and female who's characters have recently been featured heavily and Deidre has not been one of them, but I'm sure that those who have this irrational hatred of her will find a way to spin it-even if it makes them look like idiots- to show that Deidre is the one.
Nelson did refer to the diva as she and her so I think people are well within their rights to only single out the women here. As far as the diva, I think it is blown out of proportion like the rest of the story. So it could be Dee or Ali or Kristen but that doesn't mean they've done anything out of the ordinary or wrong. Asking for dialogue changes to better help the actor get the point of the scene across is very common at Days according to Tom C.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well. I'm glad someone else reported it as it helps Nelson out and will hopefully calm down some of the backlash against him. The little bits that seem added to Nelson's story are interesting. I figured Ed was behind the Green stuff. It's been said he's big on that and I think Peter Reckell may have pushed for it too, along with NBC who is big on it too. The whole thing about the "diva" re-decorating sets and all does make it sound like someone like Dee but I doubt that because this goes back to what I said in another thread. Some posters here consulted individual sources to learn who the diva is and even have evidence to back it up. However, it's kind of not right to come out and post it other then in a speculatory manner because they want to protect sources and, due to the severity of all this, they don't want it coming back on them in a negative way, which is understandable.

I think this thing is far from over. I think it will take awhile for it all to completely go away and I do think we will never hear the "diva's" name officially revealed. I think the actors/actresses involved will be protected in all this.

Drakelicious

Well, since we're all guessing as to who the "Diva" is, my guess is Deidre, since she did push Drake out of his dressing room in 1991 when she returned to DAYS, because she wanted a dressing room with a shower in it. Also, isn't she the only actor with special credits in the closing crawl...so she for sure has an ego.

River

Rick
Aug 2 2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272621859.shtml

Quote:

Soaps: A Coup Behind the Scenes at Days of Our Lives?

By Lynda Hirsch
Aug 1, 2008

"He's been writing and rewriting story, dialogue and scenes for weeks and weeks," a source told Branco. ".
This whole story has many, many problems, but the biggest in my mind comes from the last line that I quoted. Dena Higley has gone to both the union and the media claiming that she is not responsible for Days' ratings hemorrage this summer, because Ed Scott and Company have been doing massive rewrites of her work. For that to be true, the massive rewrites would have to have started in early May, in which case Higley would have some cause for complaint. On the other hand, if the rewrites didn't begin until the end of June, after Scott & Co. saw the 1.8s and 1.9s floating before their eyes, then the story changes entirely. If that is the case, then the rewrites have just started making it to the screen and the ratings for the rewrites have yet to be seen. With this scenario, Dena is still to blame for Days now battling the P&G soaps for last place in the demo that they used to dominate, she is responsible for bringing Days negative publicity just when they needed it least, and she is accountable for damaging the reputations of people who may have only been trying to dig their show out of the hole that Dena dug for it.

Another problem with this story is the "overblown diva" aspect. Apparently the actress in question is Allison or Deidre, which if true, hardly makes either woman out to be much of a "diva" at all. Neither woman has had a story for the last two months, both of their characters have been written in an unflattering light, and if said woman values sets so much why hasn't she thrown a fit about her character losing her set, instead of apparently working with Ed to try improve scripts that their character is only a peripheral figure in? The actresses that have taken over the show recently are Rachel, Kristen, Ari, Nadia, and Tamara. None have been with the show long enough to be considered "top players", so they are apparently out of consideration. The other women who could be considered vets are Mary Beth and Kristian, and while their characters do have their own set and somewhat better dialogue than either Sami or Marlena, neither has had much airtime. Therefore, the female vet who is tweaking the scripts isn't doing it to make her character the top dog as far as I can tell, which hardly sounds "diva" like to me. If I had been with Days as long as either Deidre or Allison have, I would raise the roof if my character had been written as OOC as Sami and Marlena have for the past several months.

Finally, another problem is that this story is floating all over the Internet, but it can only be traced back to Nelson and a couple of posters at a chatroom here. People are being led to believe that there are many sources, when it just the same source being referenced by multiple outlets. Could these few people be telling the absolute truth? Sure. Could they at least believe that they are telling the absolute truth? You bet. Could these people be sharing exaggerations that are being fed to them by the Higley camp? Based on what I see here? Yup. Need to know info includes - When did the rewrites start? Is it just dialogue being written or is the entire tenor of the story being 180'd? If this actress is behaving in the same manner that she has for years, why is it an issue for the union now? Did Dena make multiple complaints to Corday, Sony or NBC before she went to the union and the media? Did Ed Scott make multiple complaints before he start playing headwriter? As it stands right now, it falls down to who the viewer thinks is really looking out for the best interest of the show and who is really looking out for themselves. I have seen the work of Ed Scott, all of the veteran ladies on Days, and Dena Higley for many years, and I have no reason to trust Dena's talent or professionalism over Scott & Co.
Edited by River, Aug 3 2008, 08:45 AM.

CatherineEarnshaw

Drakelicious
Aug 3 2008, 08:09 AM
Well, since we're all guessing as to who the "Diva" is, my guess is Deidre, since she did push Drake out of his dressing room in 1991 when she returned to DAYS, because she wanted a dressing room with a shower in it. Also, isn't she the only actor with special credits in the closing crawl...so she for sure has an ego.

And Drake doesn't??? And Drake wanted to have a bigger dressing room anyway for his gym when Deidre got the shower. He said so himself.

As for the billing, Spencer Tracy was always billed over Katharine Hepburn. So by your reasoning, Hepburn didn't have an ego. lol

Perhaps, the speculation should be based on what is screen, Linda.

jules

Drakelicious
Aug 3 2008, 08:09 AM

I'm pretty sure Drake is over something that happened over 15 years ago LOL! My guess is that it's Ali (not that I care if it is her). But she is the one who has had a constant storyline for years and years. I certainly don't think that Deidre would be writing Drake's dialogue (as the story said this person was writing her costars also). If so, I guess he liked it!

jules

erikas12
Aug 2 2008, 10:30 PM
I would say that is spot on! Yes, I think Deidre would write a story that goes against anything good for Marlena LOL!

Ponz
Member Avatar

River
Aug 3 2008, 08:31 AM
Rick

Quote:

By Lynda Hirsch
Aug 1, 2008

"He's been writing and rewriting story, dialogue and scenes for weeks and weeks," a source told Branco. ".

Finally, another problem is that this story is floating all over the Internet, but it can only be traced back to Nelson and a couple of posters at a chatroom here. People are being led to believe that there are many sources, when it just the same source being referenced by mulitiple outlets.
Bingo. Neither the Hirsch article nor the Soap Central report cite sources of their own. They're merely jumping on Nelson's band-wagon and mixing in a little speculation of their own to avoid sounding redundant. Besides Nelson, only one media outlet (SOD) has referenced an independent source and that was to refute, not verify the rumor.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Never mind.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Aug 3 2008, 08:57 AM.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Aug 2 2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah but into it doesn't mean he is the reason the stuff is happening on the air as the article suggests. Because it did start well before Ed Scott ever was apart of Days (Ed had nothing to do with the May 2007 "Green Wedding")and NBC is pushing it on their shows.
I don't think Ed is 100% the driving force of this green stuff. I think this is an NBC thing. I know my local NBC news daily does some type of green report on how you can be more green. I am also seeing it on shows on cable networks that NBC owns. Project Runway just did a show where the designers had to use green and natural fabrics. Ed may support it, but I think the whole "green thing" is an NBC driven idea.

sungrey

And now you know why NBC is often in fourth place among the major networks. Less GREEN, peacock. Better shows, please.

thereyougo

Dayzfan
Aug 2 2008, 04:29 PM
It said she has been doing this for years,even down to re decorating sets.The only one on Days it could be is Deidre,unless its an oldtimer like the actress playing character CaROLine
That would mean Deidre has wanted her character destroyed and on the back burner for years. Why would Deidre worked so hard to rewrite the current story to put her on the back burner, frontburner Drake and Tamara and have her character ruined in the process? Why would she fight to make sure Marlena is humiliated, bashed, and treated like dirt by John? Why would she make sure John has a set but Marlena is basically homeless? Who are the partners she's supposedly talking to get them to change the scripts? She's had more scenes with Phil and Ej than Roman lately? They sold the penthouse and until John's funeral she had nowhere to live. Before John died, Marlena was on the bb for years, being a prop or in the destructive story with Alex? All of the dramatic scenes that should've happened for J/M in this story happened with Sami or Sami was all in the midst of their scenes. There was even a show dedicated to Sami telling John about his past with Marlena. Hello! Marlena left for two wks and when she returned J/M had a 2 min. scene .and the rest of their scenes were with Sami and about Sami.

I believe the Diva is Alison Sweeney, she's been the dominant actress on the show for years

destinyrules
Member Avatar

thereyougo
Aug 3 2008, 10:03 AM
Dayzfan
Aug 2 2008, 04:29 PM
It said she has been doing this for years,even down to re decorating sets.The only one on Days it could be is Deidre,unless its an oldtimer like the actress playing character CaROLine
That would mean Deidre has wanted her character destroyed and on the back burner for years. Why would Deidre worked so hard to rewrite the current story to put her on the back burner, frontburner Drake and Tamara and have her character ruined in the process? Why would she fight to make sure Marlena is humiliated, bashed, and treated like dirt by John? Why would she make sure John has a set but Marlena is basically homeless? Who are the partners she's supposedly talking to get them to change the scripts? She's had more scenes with Phil and Ej than Roman lately? They sold the penthouse and until John's funeral she had nowhere to live. Before John died, Marlena was on the bb for years, being a prop or in the destructive story with Alex? All of the dramatic scenes that should've happened for J/M in this story happened with Sami or Sami was all in the midst of their scenes. There was even a show dedicated to Sami telling John about his past with Marlena. Hello! Marlena left for two wks and when she returned J/M had a 2 min. scene .and the rest of their scenes were with Sami and about Sami.

I believe the Diva is Alison Sweeney, she's been the dominant actress on the show for years

:rockon: :rockon: :hail: Spot on!

Days4Life

River
Aug 3 2008, 08:31 AM
Rick

Quote:

By Lynda Hirsch
Aug 1, 2008

This whole story has many, many problems, but the biggest in my mind comes from the last line that I quoted. Dena Higley has gone to both the union and the media claiming that she is not responsible for Days' ratings hemorrage this summer, because Ed Scott and Company have been doing massive rewrites of her work. For that to be true, the massive rewrites would have to have started in early May, in which case Higley would have some cause for complaint. On the other hand, if the rewrites didn't begin until the end of June, after Scott & Co. saw the 1.8s and 1.9s floating before their eyes, then the story changes entirely. If that is the case, then the rewrites have just started making it to the screen and the ratings for the rewrites have yet to be seen. With this scenario, Dena is still to blame for Days now battling the P&G soaps for last place in the demo that they used to dominate, she is responsible for bringing Days negative publicity just when they needed it least, and she is accountable for damaging the reputations of people who may have only been trying to dig their show out of the hole that Dena dug for it.

Another problem with this story is the "overblown diva" aspect. Apparently the actress in question is Allison or Deidre, which if true, hardly makes either woman out to be much of a "diva" at all. Neither woman has had a story for the last two months, both of their characters have been written in an unflattering light, and if said woman values sets so much why hasn't she thrown a fit about her character losing her set, instead of apparently working with Ed to try improve scripts that their character is only a peripheral figure in? The actresses that have taken over the show recently are Rachel, Kristen, Ari, Nadia, and Tamara. None have been with the show long enough to be considered "top players", so they are apparently out of consideration. The other women who could be considered vets are Mary Beth and Kristian, and while their characters do have their own set and somewhat better dialogue than either Sami or Marlena, neither has had much airtime. Therefore, the female vet who is tweaking the scripts isn't doing it to make her character the top dog as far as I can tell, which hardly sounds "diva" like to me. If I had been with Days as long as either Deidre or Allison have, I would raise the roof if my character had been written as OOC as Sami and Marlena have for the past several months.

Finally, another problem is that this story is floating all over the Internet, but it can only be traced back to Nelson and a couple of posters at a chatroom here. People are being led to believe that there are many sources, when it just the same source being referenced by multiple outlets. Could these few people be telling the absolute truth? Sure. Could they at least believe that they are telling the absolute truth? You bet. Could these people be sharing exaggerations that are being fed to them by the Higley camp? Based on what I see here? Yup. Need to know info includes - When did the rewrites start? Is it just dialogue being written or is the entire tenor of the story being 180'd? If this actress is behaving in the same manner that she has for years, why is it an issue for the union now? Did Dena make multiple complaints to Corday, Sony or NBC before she went to the union and the media? Did Ed Scott make multiple complaints before he start playing headwriter? As it stands right now, it falls down to who the viewer thinks is really looking out for the best interest of the show and who is really looking out for themselves. I have seen the work of Ed Scott, all of the veteran ladies on Days, and Dena Higley for many years, and I have no reason to trust Dena's talent or professionalism over Scott & Co.
Excellent post! You've addressed many of the concerns and questions I have had since this report first came out but did it in a more eloquent manner than I have managed so far.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply