Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week of August 4th - 8th!
Topic Started: Aug 4 2008, 12:31 PM (7,209 Views)
cjknick
Member Avatar

ges
Aug 8 2008, 09:04 PM
Pearly_Moon
Aug 8 2008, 05:09 PM
Shylock
Aug 8 2008, 05:00 PM
"And I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow."

I'm loving this girl. I really, really am hoping and praying they don't make Nicole her mother. I think that would ruin it.
DEAR GOD! Please don't let Nicole be the mother! That's one SORAS that I can't handle. :drunk:
That beautiful kid could not possibly be the spawn of Nicole and Trent. Say it isn't so. Plus the baby would have been born with fetal alcohol syndrome or something.
:drunk: she does have that certain Nicole attitude tho! I like Melanie she's sassy and spunky I hope she is Nicole's daughter... I'm not sure how old Melanie is supposed to be?????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

cjknick
Aug 9 2008, 06:13 AM
ges
Pearly_Moon
Shylock

I'm loving this girl. I really, really am hoping and praying they don't make Nicole her mother. I think that would ruin it.
DEAR GOD! Please don't let Nicole be the mother! That's one SORAS that I can't handle. :drunk:
That beautiful kid could not possibly be the spawn of Nicole and Trent. Say it isn't so. Plus the baby would have been born with fetal alcohol syndrome or something.
:drunk: she does have that certain Nicole attitude tho! I like Melanie she's sassy and spunky I hope she is Nicole's daughter... I'm not sure how old Melanie is supposed to be?????
Well I hope Melanie isn't too young. I hated she mentioned "detention" the other day. I think the actress is 20 in RL and I really want her closer to that age then 18.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

She has to be in highschool, so 18 at most. She definitely has the same spunk Nicole does.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sariah
Aug 8 2008, 01:14 PM
Quote:

Ok, how is Morgan a lead let alone even close to being one?

Um, 'cause she was on more last month than all the vets except for Peter Reckell? Maybe 'cause she ranked #4 out of the whole cast? And she was #10 in June with the exact same amount of episodes (13)? Where in the months previous she had been on two to six times (at the most)? How could you not call her a lead right now when she's dominating air time out of nowhere?

Quote:

So is Phillip, even though he had a nicked abdominal aorta, that would normally kill someone.

And yet he had no problem trying to make the moves on Morgan and moving around like he felt fine. Stupid show.

But back to the show - why wasn't Philip at Bo's wedding? Did they explain that?

A MONTH. Did you read Tim's comments to Ellie? A lousy MONTH. Did you read the rankings for the year thus far? Man....never mind.

I would suspect that someone with an abdominal injury would have a tough time getting in and out of a car frequently. When I had C-sections, I wasn't supposed to ride in cars for 6 weeks if it could be avoided.

So he put the moves on her. Big deal. In essence, he's still recovering. It's not surprising that a hospital would kick people out after a few days and have them recuperate at home. It's a lot more realistic than having people in for days and days and days for plot purposes. Now, why Lucas is still in the hospital (he is, isn't he? I've missed a day or two and haven't watched my recordings...), I don't know. Inconsistency, I guess.

I just cannot get over the notion this is bothering you only because it's not Chloe. Could you HONESTLY say you'd have the same type of issue if Philip was making the moves on Chloe instead of Morgan?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Aug 8 2008, 01:40 PM
Sariah
Aug 8 2008, 01:14 PM
Quote:

Ok, how is Morgan a lead let alone even close to being one?

Um, 'cause she was on more last month than all the vets except for Peter Reckell? Maybe 'cause she ranked #4 out of the whole cast? And she was #10 in June with the exact same amount of episodes (13)? Where in the months previous she had been on two to six times (at the most)? How could you not call her a lead right now when she's dominating air time out of nowhere?

Quote:

So is Phillip, even though he had a nicked abdominal aorta, that would normally kill someone.

And yet he had no problem trying to make the moves on Morgan and moving around like he felt fine. Stupid show.

But back to the show - why wasn't Philip at Bo's wedding? Did they explain that?

Your citing only two months. A lead character is not one that merely dominates two months. Hell, as you said she was 10th in June and 4th in July. How can you cite someone who's only been in the top 5 in airtime ONCE during her entire run as a lead?

Let me know when she's in the top 5 or better for more then 6 months. Then we can start discussing her being forced on fans as a lead.
Tim.................

YOU DA MAN!!!!! :hail: :hail:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sariah
Aug 8 2008, 03:55 PM
Quote:

Let me know when she's in the top 5 or better for more then 6 months. Then we can start discussing her being forced on fans as a lead.

She was #10 and had the same amount of episodes she had in July - 13, when she was #4. So no, it wasn't a situation where she wasn't front and center in June as well.

And for the last two months she HAS been dominating in several storylines and has been front and center. I didn't realize there was a magical standard where it has to be at least six months before someone's considered a lead.

You have your definition and I have mine. And even if she does dominate the lists for the next four months, are you really going to concede that she's being forced down the audience's throat? ;)
But what about the people who enjoy her? Hell, I think Chloe's being forced down my throat. I'm sorry, but I am just bothered by the fact that you are mad because she's an obstacle to Phloe, and that, to me, just puts a little spin on your objections.
I would be interested in your comments should Melanie become front and center for a month. I don't know if that'll happen, but it would be interested to tell.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

pagraves
Aug 8 2008, 04:40 PM
I actually collect full episode clips, so I just went and took a look at the episodes Morgan was in during the months of June and July. In at least half, if not more, of those episodes, Morgan's actual screen time is pretty limited. The clips generally include a lot of Philip and Chloe, Philip and the police, Philip and Paul, or Morgan playing a support role for Stephanie and Chelsea. Morgan sometimes shows up for a minute or two in one of the episodes to talk to the police about her father or, in one case, to call Philip about his father's stroke. Philip gets a lot more of the airtime, in general, in the episodes they share.

In terms of airtime, I would say Morgan is not a lead player. Whether or not you think she's being shoved down viewers' throats is probably a subjective judgment.
Excellent post, pagraves. Thanks!

Shylock

Tripp
Aug 9 2008, 10:08 AM
cjknick
ges
Pearly_Moon
Shylock

Well I hope Melanie isn't too young. I hated she mentioned "detention" the other day. I think the actress is 20 in RL and I really want her closer to that age then 18.
I got the vibe that she's college age, so that makes her (at the very least) 18. But I figure she'd probably be the age her actress is.

And it would be ridiculous for them to make Nicole her mother. It doesn't jibe with the story at all and it is not needed, regardless of how the character acts. And to boot, Trent seems like a manipulator all his own so his daughter could be just a chip off the old block. Ari Zucker is about 34. This daughter being hers would have to age her character and that's not a real good idea at all. They haven't hinted at or recognized the possibility of this being Nicole's daughter at all. It's all fans going "It's gots'ta be Nicole's daughter, it just gots'ta be!" without recognizing how this would ruin the story.

And I would like to keep Melanie as unrelated to the rest of Salem as possible. She's Trent's daughter and Max's sister? Good. That's fine. Adding Nicole as her mother is just stupid and going overboard.

There's more sense in something having happened to her mother, similar to how it did with Max, where Trent took Melanie in as opposed to abandoning her like he did with Max.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

A MONTH. Did you read Tim's comments to Ellie? A lousy MONTH.

No, TWO MONTHS. IN A ROW. Not one month. She had the same number of episodes in June as she did in July.

Quote:

Did you read the rankings for the year thus far?

Yes, and she was far down the list because back in January and February she was on like twice a month. I can't take the overall ranking seriously because she was on so infrequently and now is suddenly on almost every day, which is my entire point to begin with. In the course of the last two months she went from being a background character who, at the MAXIMUM, was on six times a month. Now she's on nearly every day. So yes, I do consider her to be a lead character RIGHT NOW and she has been since the end of May.

Quote:

I just cannot get over the notion this is bothering you only because it's not Chloe. Could you HONESTLY say you'd have the same type of issue if Philip was making the moves on Chloe instead of Morgan?

It wouldn't be this way if it were Chloe. There would be actual chemistry, a real connection between them. Together they had the ability to make atrocious lines sound cute and playful, which for me KR completely lacks.

But would I be bitching about it? Probably not. Chloe's one of my favorites, obviously Morgan isn't. I don't know why I have to keep establishing that fact or admitting my very obvious biases. :)

Quote:

but I am just bothered by the fact that you are mad because she's an obstacle to Phloe, and that, to me, just puts a little spin on your objections.

I still don't get why you get so bothered by it. I know you hate Marlena, and I don't care if you post negatively about her. I wouldn't care if you were a Jate or a John/Kristen or Java fan and that's why you hated Marlena so much. As I said, yes, I loathe Morgan. I'm pretty sure if she wasn't in Phloe's story I still wouldn't like her (I think the accent is beyond annoying and KR is not a very good actress) like I don't like Stephanie and Max and I don't like Dansea. I'm sure I wouldn't dislike her quite as much, but that might be more due to the fact that I wouldn't be forced to watch her (I could fast forward past her).

Quote:

I would be interested in your comments should Melanie become front and center for a month. I don't know if that'll happen, but it would be interested to tell.

I don't care one way or the other about Melanie and if I came to find her annoying or didn't like her I would probably just fast forward her, so I don't really see me making any comments about that. Although, I did get annoyed with EJ/Sami/Lucas were on every flipping day for months on end. It made me hate all three of them.

Shylock

Your bias against her is very evident, which is what the person you were responding to was getting at. You should read "pagraves" post to get some perspective. And here it is, just for your benefit:

pagraves

I actually collect full episode clips, so I just went and took a look at the episodes Morgan was in during the months of June and July. In at least half, if not more, of those episodes, Morgan's actual screen time is pretty limited. The clips generally include a lot of Philip and Chloe, Philip and the police, Philip and Paul, or Morgan playing a support role for Stephanie and Chelsea. Morgan sometimes shows up for a minute or two in one of the episodes to talk to the police about her father or, in one case, to call Philip about his father's stroke. Philip gets a lot more of the airtime, in general, in the episodes they share.

In terms of airtime, I would say Morgan is not a lead player. Whether or not you think she's being shoved down viewers' throats is probably a subjective judgment.

Also, on the subject of acting and suchlike. Kristen Renton has shown more emotional range since she's joined the show than Nadia Bjorlin has shown in her current tenure. She also is able to physically express herself in a manner other than the "delightfully surprised" look that Nadia always sports. She has chemistry with most people she's interacted with on the show in some form. Phillip, Max, her Sorority Sisters, Bo, Hope, John and father/daughter chemistry with Paul.

The whole bitching about her accent is stupid and just petty. Should she maybe tone it down a bit? Yeah. Are people overblown about their complaints pertaining to it? Hell yes.

And this is coming from someone who actually likes Chloe. Pretty much everyone blends with another on the show, chemistry-wise. I can't really think of anyone other than Chloe who sticks out as not having any sort of chemistry with any of the characters. Ever since she came back, she's just there and unable to make anything click.
Edited by Shylock, Aug 9 2008, 02:05 PM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Your bias against her is very evident, which is what the person you were responding to was getting at.

Didn't I just say that I am biased against her? Oh yeah, I did, in the post right above yours-

Quote:

Chloe's one of my favorites, obviously Morgan isn't. I don't know why I have to keep establishing that fact or admitting my very obvious biases.

And I've seen the Morgan scenes in question because I was trying to watch Philip, and I still have them on my DVR, and short of going through and timing every single characters' scenes to see how she measures up timewise to other characters, I don't think it's something that can be argued for or against. Usually all of the scenes are very short for every character. That's sort of how soaps are.

For me, the test of a good actor comes when they have something seriously emotional to do. For me, Nadia can deliver. So far, KR hasn't. Like when Philip got shot she was overblown and ridiculous in her reaction. No true emotion in it. Just a lot of shrieking.

Quote:

The whole bitching about her accent is stupid and just petty. Should she maybe tone it down a bit? Yeah. Are people overblown about their complaints pertaining to it? Hell yes.

Well, I think the whole bitching about people bitching about the accent is stupid and just petty. ;) People are allowed to be overblown in their complaints. I didn't realize there was only a certain amount that we were allowed to complain about aspects of characters. Maybe I should just get out now that I find EJ's blinking totally distracting when he's talking, and it's too bad because he's such a hot man (and I like him with Nicole0. Sami used to drive me crazy with the way she would stick her fingers and thumbs out like when she answered the phone or picked things up because of her fake nails (I don't notice her doing that much since AS had her baby). I hate Drake's smell-the-fart look (although that seems to have gone away since Jawn arrived). KR isn't exempt.

Quote:

Pretty much everyone blends with another on the show, chemistry-wise. I can't really think of anyone other than Chloe who sticks out as not having any sort of chemistry with any of the characters. Ever since she came back, she's just there and unable to make anything click.

I don't agree with your statement that everyone blends with everyone else. I don't see any chemistry between Dan and Chelsea or between Stephanie and Max. I also find that some characters and couples have higher amounts of chemistry together than others.

But let's just end this discussion here with this:

I hate Morgan. I would probably dislike her anyways (because I did dislike her back when she was just in the sorority storyline. I thought she was awful to Chelsea and acted like a spoiled brat and the accent bugged even then). I will state, AGAIN, that I am very biased in my opinions against Morgan and I am cognizant of this fact.

It's like everyone keeps trying to make me admit to something that I keep repeatedly admitting to. :)

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Aug 8 2008, 05:10 PM

The Dimera mansion scenes were great, just for the fact that we are finally seeing Tony, EJ, and Lexie interact as siblings..And i loved the Marlena scene at the end..I was really scared for her..Days is on a roll, lets hope they can keep it up..
Except Tony was on an island for twenty years and only just met them, so I don't get why he would think of them as siblings.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Aug 9 2008, 04:26 PM
Kevc1980

The Dimera mansion scenes were great, just for the fact that we are finally seeing Tony, EJ, and Lexie interact as siblings..And i loved the Marlena scene at the end..I was really scared for her..Days is on a roll, lets hope they can keep it up..
Except Tony was on an island for twenty years and only just met them, so I don't get why he would think of them as siblings.
LMAO @ your avatar.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sariah
Aug 9 2008, 01:34 PM
Quote:

No, TWO MONTHS. IN A ROW. Not one month. She had the same number of episodes in June as she did in July.

Quote:

Yes, and she was far down the list because back in January and February she was on like twice a month. I can't take the overall ranking seriously because she was on so infrequently and now is suddenly on almost every day, which is my entire point to begin with. In the course of the last two months she went from being a background character who, at the MAXIMUM, was on six times a month. Now she's on nearly every day. So yes, I do consider her to be a lead character RIGHT NOW and she has been since the end of May.

Quote:

It wouldn't be this way if it were Chloe. There would be actual chemistry, a real connection between them. Together they had the ability to make atrocious lines sound cute and playful, which for me KR completely lacks.

But would I be bitching about it? Probably not. Chloe's one of my favorites, obviously Morgan isn't. I don't know why I have to keep establishing that fact or admitting my very obvious biases. :)

Quote:

but I am just bothered by the fact that you are mad because she's an obstacle to Phloe, and that, to me, just puts a little spin on your objections.

I still don't get why you get so bothered by it. I know you hate Marlena, and I don't care if you post negatively about her. I wouldn't care if you were a Jate or a John/Kristen or Java fan and that's why you hated Marlena so much. As I said, yes, I loathe Morgan. I'm pretty sure if she wasn't in Phloe's story I still wouldn't like her (I think the accent is beyond annoying and KR is not a very good actress) like I don't like Stephanie and Max and I don't like Dansea. I'm sure I wouldn't dislike her quite as much, but that might be more due to the fact that I wouldn't be forced to watch her (I could fast forward past her).

Quote:

I don't care one way or the other about Melanie and if I came to find her annoying or didn't like her I would probably just fast forward her, so I don't really see me making any comments about that. Although, I did get annoyed with EJ/Sami/Lucas were on every flipping day for months on end. It made me hate all three of them.
Sariah, my friend, you ROCK!!!! Apparently only some people are allowed to dislike characters for whatever reason they feel like it. For some odd reason you must justify yourself, and have the same standards for all characters whether you care about them or not, how strange.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Aug 9 2008, 04:35 PM
Jiggs
Aug 9 2008, 04:26 PM
Kevc1980

LMAO @ your avatar.
Thanks Rakesh! The Donald is Shear Genius!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sariah
Aug 9 2008, 03:42 PM

Well, I think the whole bitching about people bitching about the accent is stupid and just petty. ;) People are allowed to be overblown in their complaints. I didn't realize there was only a certain amount that we were allowed to complain about aspects of characters. Maybe I should just get out now that I find EJ's blinking totally distracting when he's talking, and it's too bad because he's such a hot man (and I like him with Nicole0. Sami used to drive me crazy with the way she would stick her fingers and thumbs out like when she answered the phone or picked things up because of her fake nails (I don't notice her doing that much since AS had her baby). I hate Drake's smell-the-fart look (although that seems to have gone away since Jawn arrived). KR isn't exempt.
:hail: :hail: :hail:

jane1978

I finally saw Friday´s show and let me tell you, if Dena is the one who wrote it I really don´t want to see her go. I don´t even remember when we had a show like this where several stories culminated all at once. I enjoyed everything.

First, I´m totally amazed with the actress playing Melanie. She is a newcomer with a zero experience with soaps, yet she is perfectly natural even when they give her some really crazy yet funny lines. She is so lively. Totally character I will hate to love. Now, I´m one of the few here who likes Stax together but I agree the France storylines was very dull so far, because it lacked any conflict. But not anymore. Melanie has turned it into a very enjoyble and funny adventure and I really laughed out loud at poor´s Steph exasperated face when the French guard put her behind the bar. You could see all the actors really enjoyed their scenes yesterday and that´s not always the case.

Now, my sweet spunky Morgan. Her reaction today after Phil did her confession is exactly the reason why I love the character and the actress. She is just not accepting anyone´s BS. And thanks god we finally had some buildup today and it wasn´t done the same abrupt way like her John confrontation. I loved the way they first shown their closeness and next his quilt when Morgan started to reminisce and Phil knew he is partially responsible. And I liked his concern for Bo too. Dena is really doing good work so far keeping Phil strong and tough as his father is, yet not a bad boy.

The church scenes actually came much better than I thought from mags. I ve had feeling they will make look Bo stupid he just confesses for no reason at all, but PR really shown Bo´s inner struggle and why he can´t keep the secret anymore. I´m little scared what Dena has in store for BoPe after the Olympic because noway can Bo stay in force, but the revelation was very effective.

And finally the hospital and poor Marlena. Now, there is a proof Dena was a storyeditor for an entire Reilly´s first run. This was right from his book, from Marlena spending entire episode laying helpless on floor to Stephano each segment repeating the same thing using different lines. But you know, it still felt much better than Stefano dictating his testament and planning his pension plan which is basically what Sheffer did with the character last year. I think this sort of above the reality campiness is what makes the character work. Now, if it turns into evil Andre putting bombs everywhere I will scream but so far I really enjoy his return. This is Stefano people want to see, not dying old man having troubles with his prostate and trying to find wife for his son.

Anyway, good work and I hope it´s a sign of more good things to come. Whoever wrote the last week needs to continue.
Edited by jane1978, Aug 9 2008, 05:10 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Shylock
Aug 9 2008, 12:41 PM
Tripp
Aug 9 2008, 10:08 AM
cjknick
ges
Pearly_Moon
Shylock

I got the vibe that she's college age, so that makes her (at the very least) 18. But I figure she'd probably be the age her actress is.

And it would be ridiculous for them to make Nicole her mother. It doesn't jibe with the story at all and it is not needed, regardless of how the character acts. And to boot, Trent seems like a manipulator all his own so his daughter could be just a chip off the old block. Ari Zucker is about 34. This daughter being hers would have to age her character and that's not a real good idea at all. They haven't hinted at or recognized the possibility of this being Nicole's daughter at all. It's all fans going "It's gots'ta be Nicole's daughter, it just gots'ta be!" without recognizing how this would ruin the story.

And I would like to keep Melanie as unrelated to the rest of Salem as possible. She's Trent's daughter and Max's sister? Good. That's fine. Adding Nicole as her mother is just stupid and going overboard.

There's more sense in something having happened to her mother, similar to how it did with Max, where Trent took Melanie in as opposed to abandoning her like he did with Max.
Honestly, making Nicole her mother, too, would be pretty uncreative and so "standard stock soap". I'd like to see a little spin on something else for once. Maybe Faye is her mom or something to that extent. Which means, of course, Nicole would be her mom, and Nicole would be a protege 16 year old college student. :huh:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Shylock
Aug 9 2008, 02:04 PM
Your bias against her is very evident, which is what the person you were responding to was getting at. You should read "pagraves" post to get some perspective. And here it is, just for your benefit:

pagraves

Also, on the subject of acting and suchlike. Kristen Renton has shown more emotional range since she's joined the show than Nadia Bjorlin has shown in her current tenure. She also is able to physically express herself in a manner other than the "delightfully surprised" look that Nadia always sports. She has chemistry with most people she's interacted with on the show in some form. Phillip, Max, her Sorority Sisters, Bo, Hope, John and father/daughter chemistry with Paul.

And this is coming from someone who actually likes Chloe. Pretty much everyone blends with another on the show, chemistry-wise. I can't really think of anyone other than Chloe who sticks out as not having any sort of chemistry with any of the characters. Ever since she came back, she's just there and unable to make anything click.
Not just cause you stuck up for me ;) , but this is a very well-thought out post and you got it!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
Aug 9 2008, 04:44 PM
Sariah
Aug 9 2008, 01:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sariah, my friend, you ROCK!!!! Apparently only some people are allowed to dislike characters for whatever reason they feel like it. For some odd reason you must justify yourself, and have the same standards for all characters whether you care about them or not, how strange.
Hmmmmmmmm. It's one thing to have strange reasons to not like a character (heaven only knows my reasons for disliking Marlena aren't always as pure as the driven snow)...it's another to keep bringing it up ad naseum. And, there are people who ARE going to point it out if it seems someone has an agenda. Obviously, the receipients aren't going to agree. And yeah, I have an agenda. It's called "I wanna see more objectivity, dammit!" But, I won't get it. Oh, well. ;)
It's like all the Steve and Kayla bashing from months ago when it was perceived that they were "stealing" John and Marlena's thunder. Or people STILL hating Hope because of SubSex.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply