Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nelson Ratings; Melissa Fumero returns to OLTL
Topic Started: Aug 4 2008, 04:03 PM (2,119 Views)
DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

hops
Aug 6 2008, 01:45 PM
DolceDiMera
Aug 6 2008, 07:33 AM
Jay and Kristen are doing a great job in the anti-chemistry department with each other on their own, Nadia has nothing to do with it. Actors either do or don't have a spark together, and to my perception, they're not generating anything with each other on screen, the scenes feel empty. I thought Jay had great chemistry with Martha, even though Phelle rank up there as one of my most hated Days couples. He has pretty good chemistry with Arianne, although I never want want Phicole to be paired. I think the accusation from Phorgan fans that the only people who dislike them together and don't see an epic love story and mind blowing chemistry are those who want Philip with Chloe is getting pretty old, and it's inaccurate, to me anyway, considering that I've seen many who have no interest in Chloe/Phloe but still find Phorgan lackluster at best.
I'm one of the people that have no interest in Chloe/Phloe and haven't been watching for a few weeks and then watched live the other day and saw nothing between Phil and Morgan. It's something that should just hit you. Like I said, I felt more energy between Philip and Hope (not romantic) then Phil/Morgan where I felt no energy at all. I did see the chemistry between Martha's Belle and Jay's Phil though.
That is how I feel about "chemistry" as well, and to me it's not something that can be created with writing. It's a natural vibe between the actors that shows on screen.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

DolceDiMera
Aug 6 2008, 03:42 PM
hops
DolceDiMera
Jay and Kristen are doing a great job in the anti-chemistry department with each other on their own, Nadia has nothing to do with it. Actors either do or don't have a spark together, and to my perception, they're not generating anything with each other on screen, the scenes feel empty. I thought Jay had great chemistry with Martha, even though Phelle rank up there as one of my most hated Days couples. He has pretty good chemistry with Arianne, although I never want want Phicole to be paired. I think the accusation from Phorgan fans that the only people who dislike them together and don't see an epic love story and mind blowing chemistry are those who want Philip with Chloe is getting pretty old, and it's inaccurate, to me anyway, considering that I've seen many who have no interest in Chloe/Phloe but still find Phorgan lackluster at best.
I'm one of the people that have no interest in Chloe/Phloe and haven't been watching for a few weeks and then watched live the other day and saw nothing between Phil and Morgan. It's something that should just hit you. Like I said, I felt more energy between Philip and Hope (not romantic) then Phil/Morgan where I felt no energy at all. I did see the chemistry between Martha's Belle and Jay's Phil though.
That is how I feel about "chemistry" as well, and to me it's not something that can be created with writing. It's a natural vibe between the actors that shows on screen.
Is that why there is never a `100% concensus on the chemistry of any couple?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

To add to my reply above: take the case of Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans. Now, there are people who don't like them, but I think there are few who would deny that "Patch" and Kayla definitely brought a positive vibe to Days. However, when there was an attempt to recreate the romance between two new characters on General Hospital, it failed miserably. Same actors. Same natural vibe. So, can you explain that if not the writing and the situation?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Aug 6 2008, 02:46 PM
Mason
Aug 6 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm in the minority, but I never saw what the big fuss was about with Phelle. I can honestly say that I didn't see all that much chemistry between Martha and JKJ (or Kyle Brandt, for that matter).
See, that's cause chemistry is SUBJECTIVE!! :D
The couples that make it big are the ones who, I guess, have had a great build up with great writing. I don't know whether the "some see it and some don't" couples are at a disadvantage because of writing, storyline, or if it's just taste.
It's like all the rah-rah that's over at NBC and Sony about Chan. I cannot for the life of me see it, but I'm also looking at the storyline and the character personalities, as they were, and the whole coupling thing doesn't fit. Phorgan didn't work for me a few weeks ago because Morgan lost that snark she had and became whiny and needy. The little flirtations Philip and Morgan had this week, coupled with Morgan's "take no prisoners" attitude towards John has made a potential coupling for them more palatable. OK, I will admit: I'm ready for the accent to go, though. it is distracting.
But, I enjoyed MM with both Philips. Couldn't stand her with both Shawns. I never liked JC's Shawn or FF's Mimi til they were put together. I think it was the friendship vibe there. BB's and MM's Shelle seemed too forced (maybe because there wasn't enough down time between Shawns), and I didn't feel BB ever emoted. The snark between Belle and Phillip when he kidnapped her on that boat was much better, for me, than anything Shelle put out.
Now, Tony and Anna's banter? Beautiful! I think chemistry is solidified for me when a couple can banter, and it just seems natural. Bo and Hope have it for me. Steve and Kayla have it. Tony and Anna have it. Phorgan goes in and out with it. EJ and Nicole have the potential for it.
We agree again, my friend :hail: .

To me, the banter is part of the magic. A couple either has a certain magic to them or they don't. That magic transcends any story. A story can suck yet the magic of the couple can make the story somewhat bearable. Take the Zack story which dissolved into a plot-driven mess. That story was carried by the magic between Bo and Hope. It became an awful story but their journey back to each other, even if not presented as well as it should've been, totally made the story much more tolerable. The couples you mentioned do have that special kind of magic, a special quality to them that makes them timeless. J&M used to and then they lost it and I think they can recapture a new sort of magic here eventually. Do I care if they do? Not really but I think they can.

To me, a couple not only has to be magical but human as well. In the 80's sometimes soaps got lost in the fairly tale aspect. I think that aspect is fun but it should never get too over the top. I think fans need to feel like they can find what Bo and Hope have and that they are real people just like them. I think the more relatable, the better. Part of the appeal of soaps has always been escapism but it's been balanced by realism. You can see something happen on a soap that doesn't happen often but as long as it's possible that it CAN happen, it grips the fan more because it's relatable. The person will wonder if that could happen to them and can even place themselves in the character's shoes. So, for me, the couples you mentioned have a magic to them but they are human and relatable and that, to me, is what makes them as great as they are.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Aug 7 2008, 01:11 AM
ladyofthelake
Aug 6 2008, 02:46 PM
Mason
Aug 6 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm in the minority, but I never saw what the big fuss was about with Phelle. I can honestly say that I didn't see all that much chemistry between Martha and JKJ (or Kyle Brandt, for that matter).
See, that's cause chemistry is SUBJECTIVE!! :D
The couples that make it big are the ones who, I guess, have had a great build up with great writing. I don't know whether the "some see it and some don't" couples are at a disadvantage because of writing, storyline, or if it's just taste.
It's like all the rah-rah that's over at NBC and Sony about Chan. I cannot for the life of me see it, but I'm also looking at the storyline and the character personalities, as they were, and the whole coupling thing doesn't fit. Phorgan didn't work for me a few weeks ago because Morgan lost that snark she had and became whiny and needy. The little flirtations Philip and Morgan had this week, coupled with Morgan's "take no prisoners" attitude towards John has made a potential coupling for them more palatable. OK, I will admit: I'm ready for the accent to go, though. it is distracting.
But, I enjoyed MM with both Philips. Couldn't stand her with both Shawns. I never liked JC's Shawn or FF's Mimi til they were put together. I think it was the friendship vibe there. BB's and MM's Shelle seemed too forced (maybe because there wasn't enough down time between Shawns), and I didn't feel BB ever emoted. The snark between Belle and Phillip when he kidnapped her on that boat was much better, for me, than anything Shelle put out.
Now, Tony and Anna's banter? Beautiful! I think chemistry is solidified for me when a couple can banter, and it just seems natural. Bo and Hope have it for me. Steve and Kayla have it. Tony and Anna have it. Phorgan goes in and out with it. EJ and Nicole have the potential for it.
We agree again, my friend :hail: .

To me, the banter is part of the magic. A couple either has a certain magic to them or they don't. That magic transcends any story. A story can suck yet the magic of the couple can make the story somewhat bearable. Take the Zack story which dissolved into a plot-driven mess. That story was carried by the magic between Bo and Hope. It became an awful story but their journey back to each other, even if not presented as well as it should've been, totally made the story much more tolerable. The couples you mentioned do have that special kind of magic, a special quality to them that makes them timeless. J&M used to and then they lost it and I think they can recapture a new sort of magic here eventually. Do I care if they do? Not really but I think they can.

To me, a couple not only has to be magical but human as well. In the 80's sometimes soaps got lost in the fairly tale aspect. I think that aspect is fun but it should never get too over the top. I think fans need to feel like they can find what Bo and Hope have and that they are real people just like them. I think the more relatable, the better. Part of the appeal of soaps has always been escapism but it's been balanced by realism. You can see something happen on a soap that doesn't happen often but as long as it's possible that it CAN happen, it grips the fan more because it's relatable. The person will wonder if that could happen to them and can even place themselves in the character's shoes. So, for me, the couples you mentioned have a magic to them but they are human and relatable and that, to me, is what makes them as great as they are.
You are a wise sage. :D

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 6 2008, 05:08 PM
To add to my reply above: take the case of Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans. Now, there are people who don't like them, but I think there are few who would deny that "Patch" and Kayla definitely brought a positive vibe to Days. However, when there was an attempt to recreate the romance between two new characters on General Hospital, it failed miserably. Same actors. Same natural vibe. So, can you explain that if not the writing and the situation?
I personally don't think SN and MBE generate on screen romantic chemistry together on Days either (which is part of why I don't like S&K). I've watched 80s clips of them online, and yes they were on fire together then, but that was in a different decade. They were reunited years later on screen they didn't have the same spark on GH or on Days during their return. To me, it's not an issue of writing, it's just that they've lost their sparkle together as screen partners over the years. That's why I didn't like Stefan and Katherine together, no chemistry and they were boring together (although I did like Stefan himself, he was a Cassadine afterall :P ).
I've seen couples with sizzling chemistry even if the writing is not up to par. Lucky and Sam on GH are a good example, they kept getting the same bland, repetitive dialogue, it was so awful that Kelly said she and Greg tried to edit their lines when they would shoot scenes as much as they were allowed to (which obviously wasn't much since they were still saying the same thing to each other in almost every scene). They weren't intended to be a long term couple or a couple to "root for", and the writing for them showed. However, the actors had the palpable chemistry to sell it. It's in their touches, their eye contact, the way their body language is in sync, the way they delivered their lines together, etc, that made Lusam a hot couple I enjoyed watching, and still do. They have a natural vibe between them, whether they're performing love scenes or doing angry scenes, that can't be created by a script.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 6 2008, 05:06 PM
DolceDiMera
Aug 6 2008, 03:42 PM
hops
DolceDiMera
Is that why there is never a `100% concensus on the chemistry of any couple?
There's never a 100% consensus because, as you say, chemistry is subjective. Some people see it, some people don't. As much as people don't think Dan and Chels have chemistry, there are others who think they're hot together.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

DolceDiMera
Aug 7 2008, 05:32 PM
ladyofthelake
I personally don't think SN and MBE generate on screen romantic chemistry together on Days either (which is part of why I don't like S&K). I've watched 80s clips of them online, and yes they were on fire together then, but that was in a different decade. They were reunited years later on screen they didn't have the same spark on GH or on Days during their return. To me, it's not an issue of writing, it's just that they've lost their sparkle together as screen partners over the years. That's why I didn't like Stefan and Katherine together, no chemistry and they were boring together (although I did like Stefan himself, he was a Cassadine afterall :P ).
I've seen couples with sizzling chemistry even if the writing is not up to par. Lucky and Sam on GH are a good example, they kept getting the same bland, repetitive dialogue, it was so awful that Kelly said she and Greg tried to edit their lines when they would shoot scenes as much as they were allowed to (which obviously wasn't much since they were still saying the same thing to each other in almost every scene). They weren't intended to be a long term couple or a couple to "root for", and the writing for them showed. However, the actors had the palpable chemistry to sell it. It's in their touches, their eye contact, the way their body language is in sync, the way they delivered their lines together, etc, that made Lusam a hot couple I enjoyed watching, and still do. They have a natural vibe between them, whether they're performing love scenes or doing angry scenes, that can't be created by a script.
We'll have to agree to disagree, because you are NOT going to find a couple that 100% of the people agree on as having chemistry.
When I mentioned SN and MBE, I wasn't basing it on your opinion, but the general opinion of board people over several boards and general opinions of soap writers who have mentioned it since they've returned.

I don't know who the hell Lusam is, so I can't judge, but since I don't watch GH, there's a good chance I probably don't think they have chemistry. :D

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 7 2008, 05:37 PM
DolceDiMera
Aug 7 2008, 05:32 PM
ladyofthelake
We'll have to agree to disagree, because you are NOT going to find a couple that 100% of the people agree on as having chemistry.
When I mentioned SN and MBE, I wasn't basing it on your opinion, but the general opinion of board people over several boards and general opinions of soap writers who have mentioned it since they've returned.

I don't know who the hell Lusam is, so I can't judge, but since I don't watch GH, there's a good chance I probably don't think they have chemistry. :D
You're missing out on LuSam :P
I never said that there was a couple that everyone was going to agree had chemistry......I'd never make such a claim since a lot of the time the couples that people rave about as having this "undeniable" melt your screen hot chemistry, I just don't see it:unsure: You watch OLTL right? A good example would be Gigi and Rex, on a romantic chemistry scale of 1 to 10 I'd give them a 2 at best, yet there are many who think they have the 'so hot they melt your screen' chemistry. I just don't see it :unsure:
As for Stefan and Katherine (SN and MBE), I don't know what they say in soap mags but what I've seen online posters say is that TPTB can't create the "magic" of a supercouple on another soap. People against GH bringing Jason Cook to GH, who would obviously be tested with Kirsten Storms, constantly used Stefan and Katherine as their reason why Jirsten wouldn't have the same spark together.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply