Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eight Years in Another World by Harding Lemay; My Thoughts as I Read!
Topic Started: Aug 5 2008, 09:45 PM (617 Views)
Mason

I just started reading Harding Lemay's book about his years on AW, and I thought I'd post things I found interesting for anyone who hasn't read it.

I've only read the first two chapters so far...

- HL was first approached about writing scripts for Where the Heart Is, but after submitting a sample script, he was told he couldn't write for soaps well at all (ironically)
- HL had head written the final weeks of an unnamed gothic soap in Canada (was Strange Paradise from Canada?)
- HL watched weeks of Another World (along with Days of Our Lives, Guiding Light, As the World Turns, Search for Tomorrow, and Somerset) after being offered the HW position at AW. He hated the stories and pacing at AW, but out of all the soaps he watched those few weeks, he considered AW to be the best. He doesn't specifically identify it, but it is easy to figure out that he hated ATWT the most out of all of them, even though, at the time (I think) it was at the top of the ratings.
Edited by Mason, Aug 5 2008, 09:46 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

You're reading 8 Years? OMG, you're going to love it! It's a delightfully quick and fascianting read and full of all kinds of bits of information. And, yes, 'Strange Paradise' was the Canadian soap her wrote for.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

~bl~
Member Avatar

This is one book I've wanted to get, but never found a copy that was cheap enough. Thank you for sharing with us Mason.

Mason

Chapter 3:

- Henry Slesar, HW of The Edge of Night and Somerset, invited HL over for dinner and gave him tips on writing for a soap.
- Irna Phillips was hired by P&G to act as a consultant to HL in his first 6 months as HW of AW. They butted heads nearly the entire time, and after about 3 months, Irna was relieved of her duties.
- HL decided to make Rachel a more sympathetic character due to the urging of his night school students to let Rachel get Steve in the Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle.

Mason

HL seemed to really dislike writing for the immensely popular George Reinholt (he played Steve Frame). Apparently, Reinholt alienated a lot of his co-workers with his ego and insistence upon rewording his lines. Meanwhile, he LOVED Constance Ford, probably moreso than any other cast member during his time at AW.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Keep it coming Mason, it'll be a long time before I can afford this book so I have no problem reading it vicariously through you. LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

morlock sevigny

Thank you Mason,look forward to future installments.

Did he detail the tips Slesar gave?

Mason

morlock sevigny
Aug 28 2008, 05:38 AM
Did he detail the tips Slesar gave?
Hmm...I'd have to go back and reread that part, but I think it was mostly just like using index cards to plan out stories for different characters and things of that nature.

Mason

Lemay agreed to create the soap Lovers and Friends (AKA, For Richer, For Poorer) with Paul Rauch, in hopes that the royalties he would receive from that show would allow him to quit soap writing altogether (which he still detested, even after winning a Daytime Emmy for his writing).

oakdalelover

Interesting stuff. I have always wanted to read this.

I would love to read a book on Irna Phillips too!

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Did you ever finish this book Mason?

Mason

I did, and I loved it! I definitely recommend it to any soap fans, especially AW fans.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Any other interesting tidbits on info you'd care to share? Specifically how he felt about his '88 ousting after the writers' strike?

Mason

I'd have to go back and check to see if there was anything else really noteworthy. I think the book was written before '88, so he didn't talk about the strike.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

The book IS available through the library! I read it after YEARS of wanting to by ordering it through the local library! It WAS fascinating! I watched the show in those days so knew every single actor Lemay wrote about even though he rarely used names!

hardinglemaybjr
Member Avatar

As you can see from my member name, I'm a fan of Mr. Lemay and specifically Another World during his tenure.

I had the opportunity to read his book when I was in college. I couldn't believe I found it in my college library. I should go back and see if it's there so I could read it again. It's been about 15 years since I first read it. It was a GREAT read, especially if you are interested in the glory days of great theatre-rich soap opera.

I'm glad you had the chance to read it Mason! Definitely a treasure if you happen upon it at a flea market or old book sale.

It is AWESOME to find such kindred spirits here!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply