Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Backstage Drama at DAYS
Topic Started: Aug 6 2008, 01:03 PM (4,815 Views)
ljacks13
Member Avatar

Is Head Writer Dena Higley out? No, but an explosive online report by TV Guide Canada's soap columnist Nelson Branco (http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Soaps/Suds) that DAYS' head scribe had quit had set off an Internet firestorm.

The original post, which appeared in Branco's 7/23 "Suds Report" cited a setside source who revealed that Higley walked after a blowup with Co-Executive Producer Edward Scott. (Executive Producer Ken Corday was in New York on business when the alleged battle occurred.) The post was removed a couple of days later, with Branco indicating there was more to the story than he originally knew. He then posted another item that said a source close to Higley indicated that Scott, not Higley, had been rewriting story and dialogue and encouraging actors to do the same, which would bring the WGA into the mix. Furthermore, the report said Scott was angling to get Jack Smith, who served as head writer of Y&R when Scott produced there, to pen the show.

The multiple posts caused a furor on the Web, with viewers weighing in about the backstage drama. One actor, who hadn't been to work or on the Internet, was taken aback when a fan asked about Higley's exit in a supermarket. "I had no idea what was going on." says the star. "I was shocked."

Though the show wouldn't officially comment, here's what Digest has learned: One, talk of tension between Scott and Higley was apparently not exaggerated, "It's not a good situation there." says an insider. "They haven't clicked from the start." Two, at press time, Higley was still writing the show. Three, most people at the set are in the dark. "Nobody really knows anything, but there are lot of meetings taking place," says the source.

This is just the latest chapter in DAYS's recent writer troubles. Higley was ousted in 2003 after the network reportedly muscled Corday into hiring back former Head Writer 9and PASSIONS creator) James E Reilly. Reilly lasted for three years, and was replaced by ATWT's four-time Emmy winning scribe, Hogan Sheffer, in 2006, Sheffer lasted nearly two years before he was replaced by Higley after the writers' strike ended earlier this year. But sources believe Higley isn't going anywhere right now. "Ken is behind her," says one. Another adds, "It's business as usual here. Nobody's really giving [the situation] too much attention.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

Though the show would officially comment, here's what Digest has learned: One, talk of tension between Scott and Higley was apparently not exaggerated, "It's not a good situation there." says an insider. "They haven't clicked from the start." Two, at press time, Higley was still writing the show. Three, most people at the set are in the dark. "Nobody really knows anything, but there are lot of meetings taking place," says the source.

I hope the haters read that.

Thanks for posting!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sounds to me like SOD is trying to gloss over a very ugly situation for fear of losing Days exclusives in the future.

Jonatha

Kenny
Aug 6 2008, 01:15 PM
Sounds to me like SOD is trying to gloss over a very ugly situation for fear of losing Days exclusives in the future.
Thanks for posting, ljacks!

cjknick
Member Avatar

It does seem messy ... I think Ken maybe in Dena's court, but the actors clearly are happier with Ed Scott producing and have glowing words for Ed.

FanODays

Wasn't it originally reported that Corday was on vacation and now SOD is saying he was on business? Why do I not believe SOD?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Aug 6 2008, 01:33 PM
It does seem messy ... I think Ken maybe in Dena's court, but the actors clearly are happier with Ed Scott producing and have glowing words for Ed.
Case in point: Nelson's recent interview with Peter. Course, Peter also said he liked the writing. :D

King
Member Avatar

Awesome. I never doubted Nelson's scoop for a hot sec!

Ponz
Member Avatar

King
Aug 6 2008, 01:42 PM
I don't think anyone doubted the conflict between Scott and Higley, just the heavily one-sided account from the "source close to Higley."
Edited by Ponz, Aug 6 2008, 01:47 PM.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Honestly, I don't believe ANYONE at this point. I think NO ONE really knows what's going on except for Corday, Scott and Higley and YOU KNOW THEY aren't gonna be making any official announcements. As far as I'm concerned, Nelson's article, SOD and any other article written about this is all hearsay info that is NOT confirmed. For me, it's just your average gossipy rumor.

FanODays

Ponz
Aug 6 2008, 01:46 PM
King
I don't think anyone doubted the conflict between Scott and Higley, just the heavily one-sided account from the "source close to Higley."
I never doubted Nelson but still think that he was used by Higley to leak this story so that Scott could get his hand slapped for trying to fix the writing of the writer who is killing the show.

Mason
Member Avatar

I honestly don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting to read the news that Higley's finally been shown the door. Until then, nothing's really changed, from my point of view.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Kenny
Aug 6 2008, 01:15 PM
Me too

daisysmommy

ljacks13
Aug 6 2008, 01:03 PM
Is Head Writer Dena Higley out? No, but an explosive online report by TV Guide Canada's soap columnist Nelson Branco (http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Soaps/Suds) that DAYS' head scribe had quit had set off an Internet firestorm.

The original post, which appeared in Branco's 7/23 "Suds Report" cited a setside source who revealed that Higley walked after a blowup with Co-Executive Producer Edward Scott. (Executive Producer Ken Corday was in New York on business when the alleged battle occurred.) The post was removed a couple of days later, with Branco indicating there was more to the story than he originally knew. He then posted another item that said a source close to Higley indicated that Scott, not Higley, had been rewriting story and dialogue and encouraging actors to do the same, which would bring the WGA into the mix. Furthermore, the report said Scott was angling to get Jack Smith, who served as head writer of Y&R when Scott produced there, to pen the show.

The multiple posts caused a furor on the Web, with viewers weighing in about the backstage drama. One actor, who hadn't been to work or on the Internet, was taken aback when a fan asked about Higley's exit in a supermarket. "I had no idea what was going on." says the star. "I was shocked."

Though the show wouldn't officially comment, here's what Digest has learned: One, talk of tension between Scott and Higley was apparently not exaggerated, "It's not a good situation there." says an insider. "They haven't clicked from the start." Two, at press time, Higley was still writing the show. Three, most people at the set are in the dark. "Nobody really knows anything, but there are lot of meetings taking place," says the source.

This is just the latest chapter in DAYS's recent writer troubles. Higley was ousted in 2003 after the network reportedly muscled Corday into hiring back former Head Writer 9and PASSIONS creator) James E Reilly. Reilly lasted for three years, and was replaced by ATWT's four-time Emmy winning scribe, Hogan Sheffer, in 2006, Sheffer lasted nearly two years before he was replaced by Higley after the writers' strike ended earlier this year. But sources believe Higley isn't going anywhere right now. "Ken is behind her," says one. Another adds, "It's business as usual here. Nobody's really giving [the situation] too much attention.
NOBODY'S GIVING TOO MUCH ATTN TO SITUATION????????????????????????????
BIZ AS USUAL?????????????????????????????????????

HOW BIG, EXACTLY, ARE THE BRIBES THEY HAND TO SOD JOURNIES? DOES DOOL PAY FOR ITS PUBLICATION OUTRIGHT?

AH, AND ANOTHER THING:

New low in key demos...

Bleed those viewers.... lose them ad $$s....

Imma say there's attention being paid. Yes, attention IS being paid....

Meanwhile, watch ratings shoot up when the DHs, JMasc,Tanna, Ejamicolus and other vets KA/PR, MBE/SN, blah blah come to the fore. Can they PLEASE do a break-even on this shit and cut the crap and give us actors we love in decent stories?

Angst--yah. I hated Kritter, but I NEVER tuned out.

Backburnering higher paid stars (vets and even semi-vets) to save money while losing ad dollars? Not a genius move. Scott, Corday, Higley and all you other programming/story nimrods-- the people are speaking-- listen to the remote controls.

Please, and thank you.

Hopefully you will now return us to semi-decent, semi-watchable programming.

PS-- Can you quit with the semi-litigious grandma/youngin'/stud stuff? And stop with the Stax. They have one fan.

PPS-- Lordie above, do something with that Melanie chick's hair!!! I mean there are health codes out there in CA, no?

Days4Life

Ponz
Aug 6 2008, 01:46 PM
King
Exactly.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I had more than one source on this story, HOWEVER, I chose not to quote them because I felt it gave them away. Moreover, I had WGA sources. And a source close to Higley (I've never spoken to the woman) doesn't mean a friend of or the woman in question. It could be her plumber or accountant for all you guys know! LOL!
Edited by hunterforrester, Aug 6 2008, 02:29 PM.

Days4Life

hunterforrester
Aug 6 2008, 02:28 PM
I had more than one source on this story, HOWEVER, I chose not to quote them because I felt it gave them away. Moreover, I had WGA sources. And a source close to Higley (I've never spoken to the woman) doesn't mean a friend of or the woman in question. It could be her plumber or accountant for all you guys know! LOL!
Oh, Nelson, we must be trying your patience, aren't we? :D For my part, it's just fun to speculate about it all, but this is your job and I'm sure you know how to do it. Just keep hanging out with those accountants and plumbers and whoever else, and keep bringing the scoop!

sungrey

ladyofthelake
cjknick
Aug 6 2008, 01:33 PM
Case in point: Nelson's recent interview with Peter. Course, Peter also said he liked the writing. :D
You get the feeling if Reilly ever returned, Peter would walk. And I'd be right behind him. Way to go, Peter! :D

Shylock

hunterforrester
Are you dancing around whether it's a friend or not because it could potentially give them away.. or because the slant your story was written in could take a credibility hit if the person wound up being a friend? If it's the former, then that's cool. But say so.
Edited by Shylock, Aug 6 2008, 03:29 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Shylock
Aug 6 2008, 03:28 PM
hunterforrester
Are you dancing around whether it's a friend or not because it could potentially give them away.. or because the slant your story was written in could take a credibility hit if the person wound up being a friend?
LOL!!
I'm sorry. The whole thing STILL seems to be a smoke screen set up by Higley somehow, but, oh well.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply