Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Backstage Drama at DAYS
Topic Started: Aug 6 2008, 01:03 PM (4,796 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Okay, I admit: it was Macdonald Carey's ghost!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Higley's PLUMBER? That bastard. He told me he was giving those scoops exclusively to ME!

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Aug 6 2008, 03:29 PM
Shylock
Aug 6 2008, 03:28 PM
hunterforrester
Aug 6 2008, 02:28 PM
I had more than one source on this story, HOWEVER, I chose not to quote them because I felt it gave them away. Moreover, I had WGA sources. And a source close to Higley (I've never spoken to the woman) doesn't mean a friend of or the woman in question. It could be her plumber or accountant for all you guys know! LOL!
Are you dancing around whether it's a friend or not because it could potentially give them away.. or because the slant your story was written in could take a credibility hit if the person wound up being a friend?
LOL!!
I'm sorry. The whole thing STILL seems to be a smoke screen set up by Higley somehow, but, oh well.
I agree with you on that Lady and I don't mean to insult Nelson by saying that. Without a doubt the turmoil is there but just who is doing the squealing and why is where I think Higley comes into play. She could have easily set this into motion so that she wouldn't get her hands messy.

I think Nelson was right when he said this would damage Days and they would never recover. I'm not sure my take on that is what he meant though. I think its true because Higley's scripts are now going to be shot as is and nobody is going to want to change anything including the little tweaking that typically takes place. The result of that is going to mean the ratings drop even more as the show gets worse.

So rather than having Ed Scott trying his damest to save the show, Higley might have just killed it to save her own ass.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

hunterforrester
Aug 6 2008, 03:38 PM
Okay, I admit: it was Macdonald Carey's ghost!
I knew he wouldn't tolerate her. But, I don't think McDonald Carey would have it in for Allison Sweeney!

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Also, just because you quote one source in a story, doesn't mean it's your only one! U need two to confirm a story or a fact. The only Higley involvement is that she complained to the WGA, and Ken Corday agreed with her complaints. There's a tad more to the story in this Friday's SUDS about Corday's involvement.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Look forward to reading that on Friday, Nelson. Thanks

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 6 2008, 04:16 PM
The only Higley involvement is that she complained to the WGA, and Ken Corday agreed with her complaints.
You go Higley! :rockon:

FanODays

hunterforrester
Also, just because you quote one source in a story, doesn't mean it's your only one! U need two to confirm a story or a fact. The only Higley involvement is that she complained to the WGA, and Ken Corday agreed with her complaints. There's a tad more to the story in this Friday's SUDS about Corday's involvement.
I have no doubt that Higley complained to the WGA that action lends creditibilty to the whole situation.

I also don't doubt the story is true, its just the fact that its all been brought to light when the ratings are on the decline and viewers are losing interest. It deflects the blame away from Higley and makes her into the victim.

I still have not heard that anything that was done is really any different than usual. Scenes are constantly being rewritten sometimes, perhaps always when Reilly was writing, without the writers involvement. Actors often try to change things they don't like, we've heard that from them directly. Actors try to fix things that they feel aren't in keeping with their character or history and many times we as fans expect them to do just that. So what about this is different?

I still see this as a way for Higley to divert attention away from her lousy performance as HW. If Days were to fire her now they would probably have more problems with the WGA although it would make the fans very happy.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

FanODays
Aug 6 2008, 04:26 PM
hunterforrester
I have no doubt that Higley complained to the WGA that action lends creditibilty to the whole situation.

I also don't doubt the story is true, its just the fact that its all been brought to light when the ratings are on the decline and viewers are losing interest. It deflects the blame away from Higley and makes her into the victim.

I still have not heard that anything that was done is really any different than usual. Scenes are constantly being rewritten sometimes, perhaps always when Reilly was writing, without the writers involvement. Actors often try to change things they don't like, we've heard that from them directly. Actors try to fix things that they feel aren't in keeping with their character or history and many times we as fans expect them to do just that. So what about this is different?

I still see this as a way for Higley to divert attention away from her lousy performance as HW. If Days were to fire her now they would probably have more problems with the WGA although it would make the fans very happy.
I thought Nelson said they wrote a lot of stuff... not just lines but scenes and scenes...

I'm on Higley's side. The Diva and Scott needs to realize that Dena is there for a reason. She was hired to write for Days.

FanODays

Rakesh198
Aug 6 2008, 04:30 PM
FanODays
hunterforrester

I thought Nelson said they wrote a lot of stuff... not just lines but scenes and scenes...

I'm on Higley's side. The Diva and Scott needs to realize that Dena is there for a reason. She was hired to write for Days.

And my point is that its not the first time this has happened, I am sure. I can't imagine that in the 40+ year history of soaps and all the stories that have come and gone, that this hasn't gone on. The thing is that someone, Higley, cried wolf.

If Scott and the Diva get fired over this then Higley should too for scabbing. What goes around comes around Dena.

Compare the track records of Ed Scott and Dena Higley. ES was with Y&R for years and they were the top rated show. Higley seems to last about 2 years at best before she's replaced so I tend to think that behind all of this ES has the show's best interest at heart. It also makes it hard for me to believe that ES would do anything that was grounds for his own termination, he's not a newbie but given her track record I find it much more credible to believe that Higley wants to save her own ass.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

FanODays
Aug 6 2008, 04:44 PM
Rakesh198
FanODays
hunterforrester

And my point is that its not the first time this has happened, I am sure. I can't imagine that in the 40+ year history of soaps and all the stories that have come and gone, that this hasn't gone on. The thing is that someone, Higley, cried wolf.

If Scott and the Diva get fired over this then Higley should too for scabbing. What goes around comes around Dena.

Compare the track records of Ed Scott and Dena Higley. ES was with Y&R for years and they were the top rated show. Higley seems to last about 2 years at best before she's replaced so I tend to think that behind all of this ES has the show's best interest at heart. It also makes it hard for me to believe that ES would do anything that was grounds for his own termination, he's not a newbie but given her track record I find it much more credible to believe that Higley wants to save her own ass.
Ed Scott was FIRED by the great William Bell!

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 6 2008, 02:08 PM
I honestly don't even care anymore. I'm just waiting to read the news that Higley's finally been shown the door. Until then, nothing's really changed, from my point of view.
Right there with you Mason. Don't care anymore until I hear Higley is gone.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Rakesh198
FanODays
hunterforrester

I have nothing to add. You've done this well. Kudos!!
Definitely, this can't be the first time this has happened. And, I still believe Dena is trying to stir the shit so the odor doesn't seem to be coming from her.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Rakesh198
Aug 6 2008, 04:51 PM
FanODays
Rakesh198
FanODays
hunterforrester

Ed Scott was FIRED by the great William Bell!
So? How has that hurt his reputation as someone who gets the job done? Or, have you not noticed the kudos that the actors seem to be giving Scott? Maybe Scott is just someone who wants the job done right, and if he goes about it the wrong way, oh well?
Until this has come up, I've heard nary a negative thing about Ed Scott. Dena's reputation, on the other hand, proceeds her, and not in a positive way.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I know it is not worth repeating again, but Ed Scott has been fired from a show before and we do not know the exact reason why. But we do know that writers - prominent soap opera writers like Kay Alden do not like him. Kay Alden is the one who got him fired from Y&R. William Bell did the firing.

Brenda Dickson said she had problems with Ed Scott giving the best stories to MTS.

Ed Scott does not have a perfectly unblemished record.

As to Higley and scabbing, I point out again - YOU HAVE TO HAVE PROOF BEFORE YOU CAN FIRE SOMEONE OR EVEN FINE THEM.

As much as the WGA is wanting to make a scapegoat of someone for scabbing during the strike if there was proof out there that Higley did - you better believe the WGA would have already fried her ass.

I don't doubt that she did scab - the extent of her scabbing I am not so sure - whether it was actual writing or just guiding the writing. If she never wrote anything then there is nothing they can do to her anyway.

All I know is that whatever reason Ed Scott did this for or whoever it was wrong. You can't justify doing something wrong even if it is for the right reason. In the end whatever reason it was for, it has caused Days more problems. And that is all that matters to me. Even if he had good intentions, in the end this could very well cause the end of Days or big enough fines that someone could end up losing their jobs. And I am not talking about him, but most of the time when money is cut guess who pays - the performers that we love - that's who.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I don't want Higley to stay as HW, but I would like them to keep her around as a script writer. She was on Days for over 20 years as one and did a pretty good job. She knows Days history very well and that is what the show needs right now.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Well, Steve, we'll have to disagree on this one. No one is going to have a 100% perfect unblemished record, but I will maintain that until this, we hadn't heard boo about Ed Scott, and basically, heard nothing but kudos from the actors on Days about him. That speaks volumes to me. And all this shadow dancing and speculation is just making things worse. However, Dena's negative reputation proceeds her. Her blogs, to me, come across as someone wanting approval. The whole scab thing doesn't bode well. The way they got rid of Sheffer (whether you like him or not) is shady.
Maybe Ken Corday needs to take fewer business trips and get things in line.
I am NOT going to feel sorry for poor Miss Dena. She's doing enough of that for herself.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

This is why I hated reporting this story, because my top priority are the readers/viewers. I hate DH with all my being, but right is right, and she has a case if the allegations are true. She's complaining not make her shit smell good, but to avoid the scabbing charges. Pure and simple. That's why she also praised RC from OLTL recently. But according to my WGA sources, she's not getting off scott free because they don't respect her, but will still treat these two DIFFERENT cases separately.
Edited by hunterforrester, Aug 6 2008, 05:35 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 6 2008, 05:34 PM
This is why I hated reporting this story, because my top priority are the readers/viewers. I hate DH with all my being, but right is right, and she has a case if the allegations are true. She's complaining not make her shit smell good, but to avoid the scabbing charges. Pure and simple. That's why she also praised RC from OLTL recently. But according to my WGA sources, she's not getting off scott free because they don't respect her, but will still treat these two DIFFERENT cases separately.
That's very good to hear.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 6 2008, 05:09 PM
I know it is not worth repeating again, but Ed Scott has been fired from a show before and we do not know the exact reason why. But we do know that writers - prominent soap opera writers like Kay Alden do not like him. Kay Alden is the one who got him fired from Y&R. William Bell did the firing.

Brenda Dickson said she had problems with Ed Scott giving the best stories to MTS.

Ed Scott does not have a perfectly unblemished record.

As to Higley and scabbing, I point out again - YOU HAVE TO HAVE PROOF BEFORE YOU CAN FIRE SOMEONE OR EVEN FINE THEM.

As much as the WGA is wanting to make a scapegoat of someone for scabbing during the strike if there was proof out there that Higley did - you better believe the WGA would have already fried her ass.

I don't doubt that she did scab - the extent of her scabbing I am not so sure - whether it was actual writing or just guiding the writing. If she never wrote anything then there is nothing they can do to her anyway.

All I know is that whatever reason Ed Scott did this for or whoever it was wrong. You can't justify doing something wrong even if it is for the right reason. In the end whatever reason it was for, it has caused Days more problems. And that is all that matters to me. Even if he had good intentions, in the end this could very well cause the end of Days or big enough fines that someone could end up losing their jobs. And I am not talking about him, but most of the time when money is cut guess who pays - the performers that we love - that's who.
:hail: EXCELLENT POST, STEVE!!!!!!! :rockon:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply