Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Backstage Drama at DAYS
Topic Started: Aug 6 2008, 01:03 PM (4,671 Views)
cjknick
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Aug 7 2008, 11:23 AM
It is just amazing hop fast and how far DOOLS has fallen in the ratings.
It would be interesting to determine WHY starting in JUNE Days started it's rapid descent??? last fall it probably had to do with the Passion exit and Days changing time slots in some areas and perhaps in Novemeber it was that John was killed off and we saw rating slip for a couple of weeks after that .... but this past June who knows why?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carolyn52

cjknick
Aug 7 2008, 10:36 AM
Steve Frame
Aug 7 2008, 10:25 AM
This is from one of those posters that is always doing stats over at SON (they have several now). Thought this was interesting:

Quote:

DOOL hit its peak for the year (and its largest number in 13 months) in mid-Feb. Since then, the show has lost 700,000 total viewers, almost 25% of its total. 2/3 of those are in Women 18-49. This is FAR worse than soaps as a whole, which has also declined. Something needs to change, and fast.
They actually were not doing too bad until the first part of June ... holding steady till then and then things went all to Hell in a hurry!
Since this was my post at SON, I'll just say that my definition of steady differs from yours with all due respect.

I used the Feb. 18 ratings period since it was the high-water mark for both DOOL and "All Soaps" for the year. Between Feb. 18 and the end of May All Soaps were declining. DOOL declined faster than all but 2 soaps in terms of total viewership. That's not steady performance IMO.

What's happened since the end of May is that All Soaps stopped declining. DOOL didn't.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Carolyn, I hit copy and then closed out SON. I couldn't remember who posted it so just gave credit to a poster at SON.

Thanks.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Carolyn52
Aug 7 2008, 11:57 AM
cjknick
Aug 7 2008, 10:36 AM
Steve Frame
Aug 7 2008, 10:25 AM
This is from one of those posters that is always doing stats over at SON (they have several now). Thought this was interesting:

Quote:

DOOL hit its peak for the year (and its largest number in 13 months) in mid-Feb. Since then, the show has lost 700,000 total viewers, almost 25% of its total. 2/3 of those are in Women 18-49. This is FAR worse than soaps as a whole, which has also declined. Something needs to change, and fast.
They actually were not doing too bad until the first part of June ... holding steady till then and then things went all to Hell in a hurry!
Since this was my post at SON, I'll just say that my definition of steady differs from yours with all due respect.

I used the Feb. 18 ratings period since it was the high-water mark for both DOOL and "All Soaps" for the year. Between Feb. 18 and the end of May All Soaps were declining. DOOL declined faster than all but 2 soaps in terms of total viewership. That's not steady performance IMO.

What's happened since the end of May is that All Soaps stopped declining. DOOL didn't.
I will stand by steady - it was consistent hovering around 4th and 5th position in the ranking until June were it fell to 6 and 7 and that's when we started to see the demo's slip too ... The thing about Days is that Days is a stand alone Daytime Drama - the other soaps have sister soaps that they either lead into or follow! They have the advantage of block viewers ..... Days IMO since it is now a stand alone has recovered somewhat from losing Passions .... What happened this past June is anyone's guess but it was a rather rapid decline!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

The first week that Days lost a significant amount of viewers in the 18-49 Demo was the week of May 26-30. And since then it has been downhill.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Here is a basic recap of that week:

Lucas told Sami that he was not sure that he could ever forgive her for her tryst with E.J. Sami signed the papers to annul her marriage to E.J. to convince Lucas that she wanted a future with him. Roman and Abe arrested John for drug trafficking, but John insisted that Philip Kiriakis framed him. Philip and Chloe made love. Steve, Kayla, and Stephanie visited Joey in ICU. Steve and Stephanie cheered up Kayla by surprising her with a new apartment and nursery for baby Joey. Family and friends united at Chez Rouge to congratulate Nick on his "go green" grant from the university. Nick told his family and Dean Robbins that he had help preparing the formulas in his grant proposal. Max arrived to wish Nick well and then bolted when he saw Dean Robbins. Bo, Hope, Roman, and Kate celebrated with newlyweds, Tony and Anna. Ava and Nicole became fast friends. Daniel found it difficult to ignore Chelsea at Chez Rouge. Stephanie pressured Max to come clean about his advanced knowledge of chemical formulas and his abrupt exit from Chez Rouge. E.J. was all ears after Nicole suggested a way for him to steal Sami away from Lucas. John seemed touched after Marlena told him that she believed he was innocent. Ava received good advice from Marlena.

from Soap Central

cjknick
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 7 2008, 12:14 PM
The first week that Days lost a significant amount of viewers in the 18-49 Demo was the week of May 26-30. And since then it has been downhill.
exactly ... Days up until this point usually did fairly well in demo's! except for teens and male viewers!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Days was losing in other Demos though before then. They were just increasing in the particular 2 demos that advertisers want. That is the reason they could not get any increases is other demos were going down.

I read on another board from a person who has seen the 50 and over demos that Days has been losing in them all year. Men have been back and forth all year. Girls 12-17 have been up and down.

It just took awhile for those 2 Demos to catch up and Days still does better in the 18-34 and Girls 12-17 than it is doing elsewhere.

The older viewers who have proven to be the most loyal viewers over a period of time are the viewers that Days is losing.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 7 2008, 12:21 PM
Days was losing in other Demos though before then. They were just increasing in the particular 2 demos that advertisers want. That is the reason they could not get any increases is other demos were going down.

I read on another board from a person who has seen the 50 and over demos that Days has been losing in them all year. Men have been back and forth all year. Girls 12-17 have been up and down.

It just took awhile for those 2 Demos to catch up and Days still does better in the 18-34 and Girls 12-17 than it is doing elsewhere.

The older viewers who have proven to be the most loyal viewers over a period of time are the viewers that Days is losing.
It is not shocking that Days is losing older viewers - Many are dying or they are on the internet ALL DAY LONG - the fastest growing internet users are Seniors! The older viewers are now surfing the net not watching soaps! And so are those Teenagers - oh Hell - so is everybody!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, I'm certain that the likes of Max/Stephanie and Daniel/Chelsea aren't exactly drawing in that 55+ age group. Besides, what else can you expect when the entire genre has seemed to deliberate set out to kick that particular demo to the curb over the last several years. IMO, that's rather ironic since that demo is probably the fastest growing demo out there what with all the aging babyboomers. This is the demo who've grown up with soaps and have watched them for eons, only to have TPTB tell them that they (and the characters they're most interested in) are not important. I read somewhere, once (and this has been only recently) an article that stated that, once upon a time, soaps were a legacy entertainment form that was handed down from generation to generation. Most viewers started watching their favorite soaps when they were young because of their parents and grandparents, yet went on to state that this is no longer the case. Well a big fat DUH! TPTB have almost deliberately set out to exclude and ostracize their older viewers which has resulted to them leaving in droves, leaving no one to introduce the genre to that all popular (at least to TPTB) younger teen demo that they believe will pick up the habit and stay for a lifetime. Unfortunately, none of their teen-targeted stunts have seemed to have picked up enough of that younger demo to replace the older demo that they've managed to turn off. It's like throwing the baby out out with the bathwater. IMO, all TPTB in the genre at every level have been extremely short-sighted in this regard.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

cjknick that's one fine and sexy James Scott avatar you have there. Slurp!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Very good post Matt. It is so true.

And cjknick, it is not the older viewers are dying off. There are plenty more replacing them. The average age of TV viewers is now in their age group. It is just that soaps as Matt said is not giving them anything to watch or relate to anymore.

That is why as a recent article stated that many of them are turning to programs like Law & Order reruns on TNT during the day. I was told that it often beats the soaps in the afternoon now.

I think to go along with Matt said that soaps esp. set out to alienate that age group. NBC and ABC esp. did.

cjknick
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 7 2008, 02:45 PM
cjknick that's one fine and sexy James Scott avatar you have there. Slurp!
Thanks Nelson!!! It is swoon worthy!

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I would kill a head writer for his hair!

cjknick
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 7 2008, 05:01 PM
I would kill a head writer for his hair!
:lol:

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Its so interesting that this scoop comes out, and all of a sudden the show is getting 10times better..And spoilers look even better in the weeks to come..Maybe Higley should look at the positive response on the board and realize that the tweaking was probably for the best...Just saying!!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Aug 7 2008, 12:34 PM
Steve Frame

It is not shocking that Days is losing older viewers - Many are dying or they are on the internet ALL DAY LONG - the fastest growing internet users are Seniors! The older viewers are now surfing the net not watching soaps! And so are those Teenagers - oh Hell - so is everybody!
Uh, there are people who actually HAVE A LIFE???? There are also seniors who aren't retiring or who are on second careers, going back to school, and the like.

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 7 2008, 05:30 PM
cjknick
Aug 7 2008, 12:34 PM
Steve Frame

Uh, there are people who actually HAVE A LIFE???? There are also seniors who aren't retiring or who are on second careers, going back to school, and the like.
This is true, I was just thinking of my own father who has raised seven children and now lives in a condo on a golf course and has discovered the internet and emailing ,,, I get spammed by my own father! And then he calls me to see if I read his last 20 emails which consists of chain letters, jokes and prayer request! I get so many that I don't have time to read them all.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Hey! I'll be 65 on Sunday and I have a life! Three jobs, Days to watch when I get home from work, a husband, four children, five grandchildren, two dogs, etc! :D I haven't missed Days since I don't know when. Do I count in the demographic?

cjknick
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
Aug 7 2008, 05:57 PM
Hey! I'll be 65 on Sunday and I have a life! Three jobs, Days to watch when I get home from work, a husband, four children, five grandchildren, two dogs, etc! :D I haven't missed Days since I don't know when. Do I count in the demographic?
:hail: You should count double ...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply