Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: John saves Marlena
Topic Started: Aug 7 2008, 07:55 AM (2,936 Views)
Shylock

The "emotionless card" isn't a "wee bit old", because the man has a hard time feeling for people. He spent a month or two trying to woo Ava and having a good ol' time with her and he seemed to shut things off pretty quickly. You saw how he just threw that letter of Ava's aside and went into defense mode against Stefano. Again, I think that this is just a gateway to him eventually starting to feel something for Marlena.
Edited by Shylock, Aug 7 2008, 05:56 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

deefanUBS

If the writers plan for John and Marlena to grow closer in their battle against Stefano, they need to soften him up. We need to see that nuJohn that we saw in the restaurant a few months ago. If he doesn't soften up and start thinking about someone other than himself, I don't want him having anything to do with Marlena. I've seen him treat her like crap for the last 8 months. If more of the same is ahead, I would much rather see Marlena take on Stefano by herself.
Edited by deefanUBS, Aug 7 2008, 06:05 PM.

e83talus
Member Avatar

As a lifelong J&M fan, what does it say about me that I love their number one nemesis Stefano? :omg:

I am so excited that he is seeking revenge on these two. I am looking forward to what evil and dastardly things he may have up his sleave. :OhMy:

I will not spoil things for those who do not want to know about spoilers, but I was jumping up and down at what happens to Marlena tomorrow when I saw the day aheads. I cannot wait to see Stefano wreck or try, Jawn and Marlena's life even more than he has in the past! :P

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

It's going to be good.

deefanUBS

I'm looking forward to it too. It sounds like the writers and Joe might be on the same page this time. I love bad ass Stefano. :biggrin: It will be interesting to see if Stefano's obsession gets in the way of his revenge on her.

I also look forward to the moment John realizes just how much control Stefano has over him. He spoke yesterday of shocking Stefano with electrotherapy...little does he know he's the one in for quite the shock! :lol:
Edited by deefanUBS, Aug 7 2008, 06:30 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wow! This actually sounds GOOD.

I cannot wait to see this! It's a shame the whole storyline is basically just a two week teaser and will probably have very little fall-out.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Sure some of the things in this don't make me happy as a J&M fan. However, when I see MONTHS of NO story movement, THIS strikes me as interesting and exciting :rockon:

I think J&M fans (that were/are Roman and Marlena fans) need to remember one thing. How did Roman and Marlena first start getting together... wasn't he "protecting" her ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Shylock
Aug 7 2008, 05:55 PM
The "emotionless card" isn't a "wee bit old", because the man has a hard time feeling for people. He spent a month or two trying to woo Ava and having a good ol' time with her and he seemed to shut things off pretty quickly. You saw how he just threw that letter of Ava's aside and went into defense mode against Stefano. Again, I think that this is just a gateway to him eventually starting to feel something for Marlena.
I agree.

I like the fact that if Stefano targets someone, John takes their side. It works for who he is. Look what he just said to EJ. EJ asked him if he had feelings for Ava. Despite knowing she had feelings for him, he said he had "as much as he was capable of feeling." It's going to take time for John to have a major breakthrough and I think this will do it. This will be the beginning of it and I'm glad it is. It should be a fun journey. With every person Stefano targets, I think John will get closer to who he used to be without actually becoming him. It will be like a redemption for him. He's been manipulating people and pushing them away but now he will go after Stefano and through Stefano he will redeem himself and become a better person in this new skin of his.

I like the fact that they are actually carrying through with this and not just giving us some quick breakthrough for John. They need to take their time with it and use everything that has been happening thus far to further everything and it seems they are.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

KMan101
Aug 7 2008, 06:30 PM
Wow! This actually sounds GOOD.

I cannot wait to see this! It's a shame the whole storyline is basically just a two week teaser and will probably have very little fall-out.
Actually, it seems the hospital aspect is just for two weeks. After that, the action will shift away from the hospital as it seems Stefano will be going underground at the end of the two week period.

This seems to be the setup for much more. I think this was the "big bang" to get Stefano back into the fold.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 8 2008, 01:42 AM
It's going to take time for John to have a major breakthrough and I think this will do it. This will be the beginning of it and I'm glad it is. It should be a fun journey. With every person Stefano targets, I think John will get closer to who he used to be without actually becoming him. It will be like a redemption for him. He's been manipulating people and pushing them away but now he will go after Stefano and through Stefano he will redeem himself and become a better person in this new skin of his.

I like the fact that they are actually carrying through with this and not just giving us some quick breakthrough for John. They need to take their time with it and use everything that has been happening thus far to further everything and it seems they are.
The issue I have with this is that what you're describing already happened last spring, in the scenes where John and Marlena danced prior to her (first) trip to Colorado. John got emotional and told Marlena he needed her in his life. At that point, I thought the writers would be heading down the path you describe. I hope they're finally going to go in that direction now, but I honestly have no faith that they will. If they could lead the story so far astray before, what's to say they won't do it again?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Aug 8 2008, 02:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 8 2008, 01:42 AM
It's going to take time for John to have a major breakthrough and I think this will do it. This will be the beginning of it and I'm glad it is. It should be a fun journey. With every person Stefano targets, I think John will get closer to who he used to be without actually becoming him. It will be like a redemption for him. He's been manipulating people and pushing them away but now he will go after Stefano and through Stefano he will redeem himself and become a better person in this new skin of his.

The issue I have with this is that what you're describing already happened last spring, in those scenes where John and Marlena danced prior to her (first) trip to Colorado. John got emotional and told Marlena he needed her in his life. At that point, I thought the writers would be heading down the path you describe. I hope they're finally going to go in that direction now, but I honestly have no faith that they will. If they could lead the story so far astray before, what's to say they won't do it again?
See, I think this is where we always disagree because I see the Ava stuff as something that was needed for the story to get to J&M. I think Marlena needed to see how John would turn to a stranger over her because a stranger has no expectations. He can just be himself and she will accept him. I think Marlena needed to SEE that because, while the writing for her has been crappy up until recently, I think the one thing they've been consistent about is how Marlena felt she could accept him but never really did it. It was more difficult then she thought. I think many fans read that as the show going around in circles but I don't. I see it as Marlena trying to accept him and trying to be with him but then realizing she can't because she still believes her John can return, which is why she became focused on the disk for a bit.

This Stefano thing clearly brings John back into Marlena's orbit and will, perhaps, allow him to show some "old" John traits without actually being him. That may help Marlena come to accept him and I still think there is a reason why they had Marlena read that letter from Ava. I think it will lead to them talking or something.

I guess it's easier to say I'm one of the few, if not the only person, who believes this story has actually come together ok to this point. Not perfectly but pretty good. I know I'm in the minority on that though :laugh: .

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 8 2008, 02:14 AM
I think Marlena needed to SEE that because, while the writing for her has been crappy up until recently, I think the one thing they've been consistent about is how Marlena felt she could accept him but never really did it. It was more difficult then she thought. I think many fans read that as the show going around in circles but I don't.
I completely disagree. (Surprise!) I think the writers had Marlena starting to accept John, and then the writers changed their minds. The writers seemed to be building towards a relationship between "New John" and Marlena, especially in the scenes I described. Then, the writing changed course so that Ava could be introduced into the story.

Quote:

This Stefano thing clearly brings John back into Marlena's orbit and will, perhaps, allow him to show some "old" John traits without actually being him. That may help Marlena come to accept him and I still think there is a reason why they had Marlena read that letter from Ava. I think it will lead to them talking or something.
If it plays out the way you're describing it, I'll be thrilled. But my point was that I have no confidence that this will happen. If Days hires another actress that the writers decide to pair with John, I'm sure all of a sudden whatever trust John and Marlena have built up will suddenly disappear, just as it did before.

(And about your being in the minority on this - on that point, we agree! :biggrin: )

maconrich
Member Avatar

Tammy
Aug 7 2008, 03:36 PM
I must be HIGH on something... I am interested in DAYS again! I have to say Stefano sure livens up a party lmao.
ITA! -- (and Tammy your avatars totally kill me and make it sooo hard to read/type!! :hail: )

Tricky
Member Avatar

deefanUBS
Aug 7 2008, 05:34 PM
The Stefano and Marlena scenes sound awesome. :rockon:

But, I am not liking the sound of this quote. He only cares because Stefano's targeting her? If that's the only reason he's concerned about her, no thanks.

Quote:

John tells Stefano, because he's targeted Blondie, he now cares about her and anybody in town she cares about," relates Hogestyn
i am gonna wax optimistic here and thats not like me but i say this is gonna be the beginning of falling in love all over again for john and marlena, this is where their angst begins...internal conflict, john struggling to hold on to who he feels he is and fighting emotions that just like a child he is experiencing for the first time, marlena skeptical and hesitant at first starts to see something in john that she didnt notice before or that wasnt there before...but it is now and it draws her to this new john. it could be really fantastic and i cant wait to see it on screen, coupled with fighting stefano together to get their lives back as individuals or a couple.

hops
Member Avatar

Tricky
Aug 8 2008, 04:46 AM
deefanUBS
Aug 7 2008, 05:34 PM
The Stefano and Marlena scenes sound awesome. :rockon:

But, I am not liking the sound of this quote. He only cares because Stefano's targeting her? If that's the only reason he's concerned about her, no thanks.

Quote:

John tells Stefano, because he's targeted Blondie, he now cares about her and anybody in town she cares about," relates Hogestyn
i am gonna wax optimistic here and thats not like me but i say this is gonna be the beginning of falling in love all over again for john and marlena, this is where their angst begins...internal conflict, john struggling to hold on to who he feels he is and fighting emotions that just like a child he is experiencing for the first time, marlena skeptical and hesitant at first starts to see something in john that she didnt notice before or that wasnt there before...but it is now and it draws her to this new john. it could be really fantastic and i cant wait to see it on screen, coupled with fighting stefano together to get their lives back as individuals or a couple.
From you lips! Seriously, that's exactly what I want to see. :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

If J&M can be reunited and be together without sacrificing their respected individual characters then I'm for it.

I don't want what we got from 1999-2007, which was Marlena either being a raging bitch or a victim and John getting more purpose then Marlena. Seriously, Marlena's only consistent purpose in those years was to be by John's side and make out with him, with the exception of the SSK mess. I want to see the Marlena of late 2007/early 2008. That is who Marlena is and I hope we can get that and the current version of John (only soften him a bit). That would be ideal for me, personally.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 8 2008, 02:28 PM
If J&M can be reunited and be together without sacrificing their respected individual characters then I'm for it.

I don't want what we got from 1999-2007, which was Marlena either being a raging bitch or a victim and John getting more purpose then Marlena. Seriously, Marlena's only consistent purpose in those years was to be by John's side and make out with him, with the exception of the SSK mess. I want to see the Marlena of late 2007/early 2008. That is who Marlena is and I hope we can get that and the current version of John (only soften him a bit). That would be ideal for me, personally.
I'm all for that. I want both John and Marlena to be strong individuals but also be together.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

deefanUBS
Aug 7 2008, 06:04 PM
If the writers plan for John and Marlena to grow closer in their battle against Stefano, they need to soften him up. We need to see that nuJohn that we saw in the restaurant a few months ago. If he doesn't soften up and start thinking about someone other than himself, I don't want him having anything to do with Marlena. I've seen him treat her like crap for the last 8 months. If more of the same is ahead, I would much rather see Marlena take on Stefano by herself.
I totally agree with you.

Kyrai

Tammy
Aug 7 2008, 03:36 PM
I must be HIGH on something... I am interested in DAYS again! I have to say Stefano sure livens up a party lmao.
lol, me too. I can't wait for Days each day again!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

deefanUBS
Aug 7 2008, 05:54 PM
ladyofthelake
Aug 7 2008, 05:39 PM
Well, even though I do NOT want them together, I would say "It's a start, isn't it?"
Bringing bad ass Stefano back to seek revenge on Marlena...that's a step in the right direction.

Having John say that he doesn't want Marlena to leave him, as he gives her CPR...that's a step in the right direction.

John saying he only cares for Marlena because Stefano went after her...that's not what I would call a step in the right direction. We're 8 months into this story. It's time John admit he has feeling for her, as playing that emotionless card is gettin' just a wee bit old.
But there are people still enjoying the emotionless card, and actually, John is not emotional-less. Claire proved that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply