Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SC interview; Contains Chan spoiler
Topic Started: Aug 7 2008, 06:58 PM (3,126 Views)
Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

TV SOAP:

You and I were on the phone together for this interview when the earthquake hit, and we are now doing this interview post-quake. So here was the scenario…you and I are on the phone and my whole place was shaking. I did not know where to go. Once we hung up, I checked the news and they said to go out to the street. So, I went to the street and I said to myself, “Should I stand here where the poles are?” What did you do?

SHAWN:

Nothing. I got out of my house. When I listened to the news later they said get under a doorway and then said, “No, no, no” that’s not a good idea anymore, but getting under a desk is a good idea. Then they said, “Go outside”… then, “not to go outside, because there were trees and poles that could fall on you.” I was like, “Well, what the heck, man!”

TV SOAP:

So, what do you think Daniel is really doing right now? Is he playing the field, or is there someone he really likes?

SHAWN:

I think initially Daniel is a guy who lives in the moment, but I think where his romantic intentions lay, are with Chelsea, and then with Kate, this is one of those experiences where Daniel just discovered that he was the cause of Chelsea’s infertility. He immediately hit the bar and got drunk, and Kate came into his life.

TV SOAP:

It’s amazing how Kate is always there when men are down in the dumps.

SHAWN:

Isn’t that great? It’s true. I don’t know all of Kate’s history, but Lauren Koslow (Kate) works very hard at keeping the integrity of her character. She finds herself with these two characters that find themselves in a compromising circumstance with unintended consequences, really. At that moment, I was not involved with Chelsea. We had put our own spin on it. It wasn’t: “I am just drunk and fell into bed with you” and that whole thing. It felt like two people who needed each other at a low point in their life. And that’s our excuse for that. (He laughs).

TV SOAP:

But, what about the blossoming friendship of Docs, Lexie and Daniel?

SHAWN:

Now with Lexie, every time Daniel had a serious issue she always gets the brunt of his rage. I said to Renee Jones (Lexie) that, “It’s funny that every time I am about to lay my heart on the line and tell someone how I really feel, it seems to be you!”

TV SOAP:

That’s interesting, isn’t it? I wonder where that’s going to go.

SHAWN:

It’s interesting to me, because it’s a dynamic that has not been fully explored, and who knows? I mean truly, who knows? It could be one of those moments where your best friend could be one of those people that are there for Daniel, and then something more happens because of it.

TV SOAP:

Do you think Daniel is a little too old for Chelsea?

SHAWN:

No, I don’t. I think what you have got with the Chelsea character is someone who is so young and spirited that she is willing to put aside all of Daniel’s issues and live in the moment… which is how Daniel lives his life. There is the surfer and the surgeon. Qualities about this character are someone who loves excitement and wants to put himself out there and live on the edge. When he also finds someone who likes that, like Chelsea, who doesn’t like to dwell or live in the drama she is in, because she has this youthful energy about him. It feels like a perfect combination

TV SOAP:

Does Chelsea know Daniel slept with Kate?

SHAWN:

What’s coming up is that she does find out, and we are just filming that now. Again, what are the consequences of all this? And that’s why I end up once again talking to Lexie. I don’t have any family ties here in Salem, so whom do you turn to? Lexie is a colleague, and since we have worked together in life or death situations, Daniel can count on her trust.

TV SOAP:
Well, Lexie seems to sleep with a lot of the guys, too.

SHAWN:

I know. I heard.

TV SOAP:

She’s another tramp. (He laughs)

SHAWN:

I know. It’s so funny. I don’t want to be another guy on her list. It’s so funny!

TV SOAP:

She does not have a great track record. But, do you think with Daniel being a doctor, it is about the adrenaline rush?

SHAWN:

Yes. For me, Daniel gets a big rush… a big wave. This is how I was introduced, and that adrenaline for putting yourself in life or death situations, is very consistent with someone who finds an extraordinary rush by putting himself, or someone else’s life in his hands. I think for me, that is what Daniel finds exciting.

TV SOAP:

Do you surf in real life? I keep remembering pictures with you on a surfboard, or something.

SHAWN:

I surf occasionally. I did a show called, “Summerland”. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

TV SOAP:

I loved you in “Summerland”!

SHAWN:

You’re going to make me cry. Hold on a minute. It was so much fun! We would go to work on the beach three days a week. (He laughs)

TV SOAP:

When “DAYS” put the casting call out for this role, weren’t they going for a “Grey’s Anatomy” type like a “Dr. McDreamy, or “Dr. McSteamy”?

SHAWN:

They had talked about it, but look; Patrick Dempsey is an extraordinary actor, as well as a person, and I am no “McDreamy”. But, I think that it was part of what they were looking for. But, I can’t be that, so I have to find my own expression.

TV SOAP:

You are always cast as the ‘good looking guy’ because of your looks. How do you handle compliments based on your looks?

SHAWN:

I can take them graciously, for sure. Look, I have heard worse. (He laughs) I will take what I can get. It’s humbling. “But you know what? Everybody has extraordinary qualities and enormous flaws, and I am one of those people who has both. (He laughs)

TV SOAP:

What is your best quality?

SHAWN:

I think a lust for life, which also can be a bad quality. You know what I mean, right? I want to have this experience (acting on “DAYS”), which is why I love doing what I do. I get to take myself and put myself in these unusual circumstances, which I wouldn’t get to have happen in my real life. For instance, when I get these roles often as guest stars on shows, I will be villains or evil characters, or downright cruel. Someone had seen me on “The Ghost Whisperer” and said, “You were just evil, and you were torturing Jennifer Love Hewitt!” I went, “Yeah, I know. It was fun wasn’t it?” So sometimes you get privy to some of those roles, and you get to throw your looks right out the door.

TV SOAP:

Which is good, in a way?

SHAWN:

It’s great! I put forth that much more effort and work to make sure I am not going to be the pretty boy who walks in and they go, “He is just this one dimensional cardboard cut out who is pretty, and let’s just do that.” It is something you earn. All actors have to do that. You have to understand that everyone wants to put you in a box. I work really hard to try and stay out of that box.

TV SOAP:

When you make the list for the top 25 ‘soap hunks’, is that all right with you?

SHAWN:

Hell, yeah! I will take a compliment. Look man, I will take what I can get, and any of those compliments I give to my Mom, because she is the beautiful one.

TV SOAP:

You have also been on “ATWT” and “OLTL”. Do you have a favorite soap role?

SHAWN:

They do start to blur into one, but I would have to say it’s usually the one that I am doing. I get invested in it and excited about it. It’s when I can blend comedy and drama, and play someone who does not take himself seriously, like an anti-hero, where things can change on a dime, but also with a sense of humor. Those are the most exciting characters.

TV SOAP:

Have you stayed in touch with some of your former soap cast mates?

SHAWN:

Yeah, during the Daytime Emmys… I had drinks with Maura West (Carly, “ATWT”).

TV SOAP:

She is a great actress!

SHAWN:

She is fantastic! I love her and miss her. She is so gifted, and she figured it out. She knows what she wants and she is doing it. She is a great mother, and she has a great family and a great life outside of New York and the soap world. Certainly, she has an extraordinary reputation and talent in the soap world.

TV SOAP:

Can you say a few words about working with Lauren Koslow (Kate)?

SHAWN:

She has this humble sexuality and sensuality that I don’t know if she is aware of. She has a great sense of humor about it all, and about life, and is almost a little quirky.

TV SOAP:

…Rachel Melvin (Chelsea)?

SHAWN:

She is absolutely quirky and refreshing, bold and honest, and I respect and appreciate that, especially being in LA.

TV SOAP:

…And Renee Jones (Lexie)?

SHAWN:

She seems to be very much in touch with whom she is. She is willing to work hard when we have scenes together. She is available to put in the work, and I find her giving and honest.

audio_icon_small.jpg

TV SOAP:

So, with everything that has transpired that hit the news in the past week about “DAYS” head writer Dena Higley leaving the show… what is going on over there? Is anyone writing the show? Are you concerned?

SHAWN:

There are pow-wows going on, and I don’t know what’s really going on with the head writer, whether she is in or out. I really don’t. But you do hear whisperings throughout the hallways. A part of me tries to stay out of that and do what I was brought on to do… and that is act.

TV SOAP:

If you could have a storyline for Daniel that you created, what would it be?

SHAWN:

Maybe there is something dark and interesting about addiction. Someone who had a passion or an addiction to adrenaline can manifest himself into anything. That would be interesting and consistent with who he is.

TV SOAP:

Have you been to Australia?

SHAWN:

I haven’t, and if there is any way to get me there… let’s go! Yes, Michael. Figure it out and I am there.

audio_icon_small.jpg

TV SOAP:

In closing, what can we say to the fans to look forward to from Daniel? So you could be somebody’s somebody, because we never know in soaps.

SHAWN:

And if he is sleeping with everyone, it could just be off the charts crazy! (He laughs)

TV SOAP:

Are sex scenes tough to do on daytime?

SHAWN:

They can be. They are technical. They are not as sensual as they come off on air, but for me, I keep trying to push the envelope. But it’s daytime, and it has its limitations, but it certainly can be awesome. It beats shooting a murder scene in a movie at 3AM in downtown LA. You know what I mean? (He laughs)

TV SOAP:

Absolutely!

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/article/articleItem.cfm?cms_article_id=22
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Thanks for posting. I have been generally meh to hostile toward Dr. Dan, but this article definitely makes me like SC a lot more whereas before I didn't know much about him. I like his idea for it coming out that Dan is an addict, preferably a sex addict. I just think that could be a good story for some reason, especially if it ends Chan and leads to Daxie.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

IMissAremid
Aug 7 2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting. I have been generally meh to hostile toward Dr. Dan, but this article definitely makes me like SC a lot more whereas before I didn't know much about him. I like his idea for it coming out that Dan is an addict, preferably a sex addict. I just think that could be a good story for some reason, especially if it ends Chan and leads to Daxie.
I don't want him a sex addict since in my head the way he flirts so much more for Kate is because his feelings are stronger for her and really devalues his feelings for Chelsea. Being a sex addict could mean Chan might still endgame and it's something he has to be cured of.

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 7 2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with you. Never have been to warm to Dr. D, until this interview. Also agree, that it would be interesting to have him as a sex addict.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Good interview. I've always liked SC and he seems to really enjoy Days. I bet he sticks around.

I do agree with him it's not the age difference that is the problem. The problem is the way they came together. They didn't develop it right and the age card was played too late in the game. I think he hopes Daniel ends up with Kate or Lexie too, as do I. He seems to actually be pulling more for Lexie. Just the sense I got.

I would like the sex addict thing too. I think that is a good angle that kind of tarnishes his "perfect image," which will be tarnished anyway when the truth about him and Kate comes out. I'm shocked and happy that is coming out very soon. Makes me wonder if Chan is being dropped because if they are taping that now it must air in early Fall and I suspect Melanie, Max, and Stephanie will be returning then. Perhaps the truth comes out and we get the start of Chelsea/Nick/Melanie.

I also laugh at how no one seems to know what is going on with the writer situation. Higley is so toast once things settle down :laugh: .

Tricky
Member Avatar

i like the actor and the character fine...i just think his talent is being wasted in his current storyline...i am a kaman so i really wanted them to explore dan and ava, now shes is gone, dan and nicole maybe??? just not chelsea...i just aint feeling it at all. thanks for posting tripp

any idea when we see nick again???

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

Nice interview! Shawn seems like a really fun person to be around and its so sweet that he compliments all the acrtesses hes worked with on Days. The earthquake thing was funny! :lol:
Edited by Dayzfan, Aug 8 2008, 09:00 AM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Tricky
Aug 8 2008, 04:41 AM
i like the actor and the character fine...i just think his talent is being wasted in his current storyline...i am a kaman so i really wanted them to explore dan and ava, now shes is gone, dan and nicole maybe??? just not chelsea...i just aint feeling it at all. thanks for posting tripp

any idea when we see nick again???
On Nick showing up again, he isn't on todays show and the Stax storyline is on hold for two weeks. Since the earthquake was last week and that's when they taped the Chan stuff, we probably are going to be seeing grannysex reveal fairly soon after the olympics (which IMO is good).

Chan was botched from the beginning. I don't know if I would ever have warmed to them (certainly not while she was still "dating" Nick) but if they had gone ahead and ended Chick properly and then let Chelsea meet Daniel in the park but be annoyed by him (since Chelsea was never one to warm to strangers) to only find out he's her father's new doctor which worried her...they could have had a different dynamic from the beginning. Daniel could have seen her as a kid who dares question his doctoring skills (we already know he doesn't take kindly to that). After the surgery, they could have relunctantly admitted how each other helped with the situation but still not sure of each other (this is where the propping for Daniel would have made more sense and fit in better). Chelsea needing a job since she missed out on internships could have asked Victor but then be horrified when he chooses the hospital for her instead of his company. Working side by side along with Daniel over time could have then provided an actual "falling in love" stage for the both of them.

But nope, instead we have insta love with hero worship/savior complex and Chelsea two timing Nick by trying to dry hump Daniel. If Dena thought that was "romantic", this show is doomed.

Tricky
Member Avatar

^^ i shipped chick and dena ruined it for me more than once...now there is no going back i just want nick to find someone else. i have high hopes for melanie even. and yeah these last two months dena had this whole thing with pairing up people that dont belong for random sex booty calls and tryin to sell it as romance, i never bought it....i am ready for stax and chelsea to take a back seat to nick put him as the younger character up front and let him save melanie from some wicked person in her past and fall in love as they go....hope springs eternal. these next couple of weeks look good, i just hope its not all too little, too late.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Please dont pair Lexie with him :(

Tricky
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 8 2008, 10:17 AM
amen to that...lexie is a dimera. dont see daniel being able to handle that action :lol:

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Tricky
Aug 8 2008, 10:36 AM
Sindacco
amen to that...lexie is a dimera. dont see daniel being able to handle that action :lol:
I was fine with Lexie and Daniel earlier but now I see it was just a means to break up Chan. Now after seeing his chemistry with LK, I really would hate them to waste that plus...I'm ready for Kate to have a real romance on this show. I know, a love interest where the guy was supposedly in love with your granddaughter seems insurmountable but there are ways to pull it off. You just need to have writing and patience to get the story....

Oh, never mind. Look who I'm talking about!!

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I don't mind him with Lexie but I wouldn't want them to go the route of an affair.

I don't see much chemistry with either Chelsea or Kate.

CindyJean
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Agreed - she's had her lifetime quota and I would like to continue liking her as I do now. I won't if that happens. I already hate Kate, so that isn't a big deal I guess. I've loved Daniel and Chelsea since before they were together. I saw chemistry, I saw a similarity to Doug and Julie - I watched back then and they were my favorite couple for many, many years. I like the unique aspects of the story with Daniel and Chelsea. I won't be happy if they break them up for demon mother Kate - but I've lived through worse with this show.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I could have bought Chan if there had been some build-up. If the writers had shown me why Dan would be interested in Chelsea, but they haven't. She went from being his patient to being his girlfriend, to being in love and I have absolutely no idea why.

OTOH, I could instantly understand why Dan would be fascinated by Kate. She's had life experiences. She's fascinating, mysterious and sexy. Everything Chelsea isn't................yet. She's too young to be all that. Twenty years from now, maybe. Right now she's still a girl. Why a forty something surgeon would be interested in her can only be explained from below the beltline. And that just makes dear old Dr. Dan, Dr. McCreepy.

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

darraholic
Aug 10 2008, 09:22 PM
I don't mind him with Lexie but I wouldn't want them to go the route of an affair.

I don't see much chemistry with either Chelsea or Kate.
I disagree.Dan and kate have oodles of chemistry.It was evident during the episodes where Kate got all hostile with Dan when Chels was first brought to the hospital,and in the flashback scene of the two at the bar. No chemistry with Chels,but in real life,lots of older men are intereted in 20 something girls

CindyJean
Member Avatar

I wish he'd be McCreepy with me - then it would be another complaint because he's younger than me. I don't know, I've known attraction to come out of nowhere many, many times. Truth is stranger than fiction IMO. The best real relationship and marriage I've ever seen is between my cousin and the man she married who is 23 years older than her. Forty years and four kids later they still seem really happy.

I saw the chemistry with Dan and Chelsea before the hint of a love interest - in the park when they first met. I said to myself "oooo interesting". It was to me then and it is now. I wouldn't throw anyone to Kate - that's just cruel and unusual punishment for any man. :eyeroll:
Edited by CindyJean, Aug 12 2008, 12:35 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

CinderAngelkc
Aug 12 2008, 12:32 PM

I saw the chemistry with Dan and Chelsea before the hint of a love interest - in the park when they first met. I said to myself "oooo interesting". It was to me then and it is now. I wouldn't throw anyone to Kate - that's just cruel and unusual punishment for any man. :eyeroll:
I hate to disagree but if I was a man and I had a choice between Kate or Chelsea, I'd pick Kate easily and that's without knowing her past and vast experience.

Chelsea I'd send back to school so she would grow up.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Really, Chelsea looks like she should be worrying about Prom, not hanging all over Dr. Surfboard.

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

I can understand Dan being interested in Kate. At least Kate has boobs.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply