Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Carolyn's Corner w/ 2 GL actors; SOW: Carolyn's Corner w/ 2 GL actors
Topic Started: Aug 7 2008, 07:51 PM (879 Views)
ljacks13
Member Avatar

Carolynís Corner

Chatting with two GL actors with very different opinions.

Carolyn: Is morale down with so many big actors leaving?

Actor: Yes, I think it started when we lost Laura Wright [ex-Cassie, now Carly on GH]

Carolyn: She told me she passed [a big exec] in the hall during her negotiations and [the exec] didnít say hello to her.

Actor: Yes, and Laura was really hurt. She thought. ďThat is not how you do business. You come up to me and you tell me how much you appreciate me and you hope I stay. You donít walk past me like you donít see me.Ē Itís never one thing that makes you leave. First they do this, then they do this, and then they are offering this. Sometimes people just say, ďHow can I not go?Ē

Carolyn: Especially if morale is low.

Actor: Yeah. The people at As the World Turns are the only other people that understand how the people at Guiding Light feel; demoralized. You feel every single day you go to work that nobody appreciates you. Youíre treated with no respect.

Carolyn: Can you give me an example of what youíre talking about?

Actor: Getting changed in the backseat of a car without the windows tinted on a busy street while trying to run lines with the actor in the car with you, because you donít have any other time to rehearse. Holding your own lights. Stuff thatís just laughable. And they want a good product from this? The system is there for a reason, so people are taken advantage of and exploited. We all need to have our jobs respected,

Carolyn: Why hasnít the union gotten involved in this?

Actor: The problem is that when you read the union rules, which we all have they say, ďactors will not have to blah, blah, blah, except serials.Ē Every single rule is amended for soap opera because weíve never left the studio before so there are no rules about being on location. Theyíre negotiating all that stuff now. Iíll tell you this: Anybody would be lucky to have GLís actors, because we memorize as much dialogue as they want us to and shoot it out of order in really difficult conditions, and weíve been doing it for a year,

Carolyn: Itís a scary time.

Actor: Yeah and thatís how they keep people in line- they instill fear. Everyoneís afraid the show is going to get canceled, so everythingís fear, fear, fear. I run into people on the street who tell me, ďI canít watch anymore. I donít care about any of those characters and I donít know whatís going on.Ē Thatís not what any of us want. We love the show and we want it to be great.

On the other side of Springfield

Carolyn: Are things getting better at work now?

Actor #2: Yes. It feels better, as though thereís a little more meat. The stories seem more grounded. We have a new writing team. They are cleaning up and wrapping up a lot of the old stories so we can move on the next stories they want to tell. Thereís always that transition period of cleaning up, ending, and then beginning again. We are int aht place tight now, getting the new stories going. That really is the bottom line Ė just tell a story, give the human condition and do it with style.

Carolyn: Do you think the growing pains for the new production model behind you?

Actor #2; I hope so. The thing that a lot of people Ė critics Ė didnít seem to get was that we were working out the kinks on the air. Itís like going to a play out of town before itís ready for Broadway. You canít imagine how many changes there are before itís ready for opening night.

Carolyn: It would have easier for the audience if the stories has been good, to keep us hooked. Because the sound and production quality were not good in the beginning.

Actor #2: Believe me. I hear you, and I totally agree. We fell down on the story end. Things didnít make sense. But I do think itís all coming together now. There are some good scenes coming up. It feels good. All the changes were tough for a lot of people. We lost some of our fans, and I understand that. If we can get a story now that is electrifying, we hope they will come back.

Carolyn: So your message to fans is give GL another chance?

Actor #2: Yes! You wonít be disappointed.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

I think Actor #2 may be Gina Tognoni. She ALWAYS speaks highly of the show no matter what.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

My money's on Zimmer for the first one
Edited by Rick, Aug 7 2008, 08:05 PM.

King
Member Avatar

I don't know who Actor #1 is, but I know I love him or her.

Mason
Member Avatar

Both of the P&G soaps are being run by total idiots. Not surprised one bit that morale is low for them.

sungrey

King
Aug 7 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know who Actor #1 is, but I know I love him or her.
Ha ha King... I wonder who that actor/actress was? Let's see, who hasn't been on the show lately? Whoever spoke his/her mind must be on EW's shit list.

King
Member Avatar

I think Rick is right. :)

Mason
Member Avatar

Yeah, sounds like Zimmer and Tognoni to me too.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Would Zimmer actually give info to a magazine off the record like that and not just admit it is her? In the past, she has said really shocking things so why would she hide?

The second one has a reference to theater, so I would guess that the person who said that may have experience in that realm along with the soap work.

hawk_osu
Member Avatar

Crystal Chappell

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I agree Mason!

sungrey

Theater could mean either Robert Newman or Mandy Bruno. Both have significant experience in theater productions. If I had to choose, I'd say it's RN just because he's acted in everything from summer stock to New York plays.

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

Kim is not my favorite person, but I can respect her candor. She would flat out say something on the record.

My guesses are Gina and Crystal.

DanielRand

I had the opposite view...I was sure Actor #1 was Mandy Bruno. It follows her speaking style,even in character. And I agree that Actor #2 is probably Gina Tognoni.

I think the visuals have improved a lot over the last few months on GL...but if the kind of stuff Actor #1 describes is going on behind the scenes to accomplish it, well, that is just awful. I would hope they would have one of those buses that bands use moving with the cast and crew from location to location. Those things are big enough to accomodate changing rooms, a kitchen, makeup chairs and a lounge!

The improvement in the show the past few weeks (I really enjoyed the faux wedding drama, the baby drama) had dampened my ire towards Ellen Wheeler, but under no circumstances should the cast be mistreated. I'd fire her yesterday. Or is some of this due to Televest?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

If I had January back again, I donít know if I could be as hopeful because now Iím sweating my balls off in Peapack, [N.J.]!Ē

After reading Zimmer's quote from Nelson's column (above) I really think it's her, but why go off the record? She's never held her tongue before

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Even honest people hold back....

sungrey

Nelson, I know you're waaaaaaay down on GL (and you don't hold back, lol), but honestly... would you recommend GL scrap the current production model, have the two CBS/Telenext soaps share a studio with the same crew and put some sets back on GL?

ATWT seems to be doing fine with its model of 2/3 sets, 1/3 location shooting. And I think it works better.

Mason
Member Avatar

ATWT's production model is much, MUCH better than GL's. GL's filming technique is just a travesty.

sungrey

You're not kidding, Mason. I'm just wondering if putting both soaps under one roof would save production costs to the point where they could put up some permanent sets and make it more like it used to be.

MattPbwr
Member Avatar

There's actually something that I learned from taking 4 years of Journalism in college, you have to print all of your sources. If you don't...it looks like you made the story up.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply