Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Weekly Discussion; Week of Aug. 11
Topic Started: Aug 11 2008, 02:14 AM (5,792 Views)
Ellie

Today's show - WOW. This show was right up there with other dialogue-based shows like the one where John woke up in the hospital in January. Thaao and Joe should be considering today's material for their next Emmy reels. Their timing was impeccable, and I also noticed the tears in Joe's eyes. The dialogue was so nuanced and deep, and both of them rose to the occasion.

Also liked all the interactions between the various characters, Kayla/Anna/John especially. These characters are all old friends (well, not John exactly, but still), and it was so nice to see that acknowledged.

Sorry, but could have done without Sami in Marlena's townhouse. In such a 'vet heavy' show, Sami's hysterics really seemed even more out of place than they otherwise would have. I did like most of the Sami/John dialogue in the hospital, in that someone reminded John of his feelings for Marlena (and hers for him). However, I found myself thinking that it would have fit better into Kayla's conversation with John.

Overall, a great show, one of the best in months. Can't wait to see where this storyline is headed!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ross the Intern taped another episode of Days today. He posted a video of himself behind-the-scenes at the set. If you listen closely, I think you can hear the faint sounds of Ed Scott beating Higley over the head with a boot.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

As a huge DiMera fan I loved these episodes just like everybody else and can't wait to see what's in store the rest of the week. And Kev (I think) excellent point about how much better this all works out with Sami and EJ more peripheral to the overall story with John, Marlena and Stefano front and center instead. This is the sort of stuff I wanted when the DiMeras came back and John woke up from his coma last summer and I'm pleased that I am finally getting it.

Tricky
Member Avatar

todays show was this dool viewers dream, dammit if they can put episodes out like this for the next year dool might build up to be right up there in ratings with Y&R

i have no clue who is writing this stuff but they need to be allowed to continue without interference.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, whoever is writing it needs to stay!

I'm one of the few who has been seeing improvement steadily for awhile now but since the calendar turned to August, this show has become GOLD!!

Seriously, today rocked, plain and simple. i always enjoy small cast episodes like this. It's less work for the writers and they can provide us with good character stuff and they did that today. The Tony/Stefano scenes were a fine example of that. The fact that the show had so few characters to focus on allowed for the scenes to have time to breathe and be expanded so we could fully get inside the character's minds. I think the stuff with Tony and Stefano was needed. Some questioned how Tony was acting and I think today was a nice nod at reminding fans of the conflict in Tony. He wants to choose family but only if Stefano will change his ways. Tony has always been trying to get through to Stefano and we saw that today. Tony laid out why he shouldn't side with Stefano and we also saw why he would and it's simple...this is still his father and, just like I feel Tony would like to one day either take over the empire or help the empire become something that stands for good, I feel Tony wants Stefano to end his vengeful acts and become a better person. I think Tony still hopes for that and that is the source of the conflict and I can understand it. i just loved Joe getting teary-eyed when discussing the torture Marlena put him through by putting him in a coma. Thaoo and Joe were amazing today. Definitely Emmy-reel stuff.

Anna/John was a delight. Loved the motorcycle banter and their working together to find and save Marlena. I liked John's "by the book" approach with the CPR and was LMAO when she began breathing and he yelled out "Sensational!" and threw his arms up in the air. The John/Sami conversation and John/Kayla face off were so needed as it seems we are heading back in the direction of the "old" John or some part of him still being in there. It's clear he just wants people to accept him and that could very well explain his actions. He wants to prove he isn't what he used to be. MBE was great today, as was Drake. Liked the little J&M moment too with him coming into her room.

I also enjoyed the Anna/EJ/Sami interaction and Anna/Kayla interaction. I'm a sucker for small things like that. The cute Tony/Anna moments were so nice to see. Give us more of these two!! They were in their element today. This is the Tony and Anna I grew up watching!

Sami/EJ was ok. I do like them much better in supporting roles but I'm so sick of Sami's hysterics. Ali used to be good at this but now I feel she's done it so much of late she's phoning it in and just shrieking and lashing out. It feels so empty, like doing it just to get the job done. The character of Sami just feels like a mess. I really do think it's best to give her a rest for a few months. EJ didn't do much today but I liked him being Sami's calming presence.

Kudos to for having Kayla mention the Bo and Hope situation. I hope they keep making mentions of the other stories since we won't be seeing them. That way they can keep up the momentum of those stories.

The ending was a nice cliffhanger too. Can't wait for tomorrow as today was just superb.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Amello
Aug 11 2008, 10:38 PM
These episodes have made me realize that if the show got rid of all the younger set and just kept these couples and Stefano and wouldn't be sad one iota.
But the old folks can't carry the soap forever.

Shylock

SpriteEyes
Aug 12 2008, 04:19 AM
Amello
Aug 11 2008, 10:38 PM
These episodes have made me realize that if the show got rid of all the younger set and just kept these couples and Stefano and wouldn't be sad one iota.
But the old folks can't carry the soap forever.
That, and the past few episodes with the younger characters had been pretty well received too.

All they need to do is give a storyline that's as exciting/good as the one currently going for the younger people and things could start looking up for them.

e83talus
Member Avatar

The show was phenomenal and I am excited about the next two weeks. I loved the entire show and that was likely because the young annoying people were not on. The problem I have with the young people is both storylines and I don't seem to care at all about Stephanie, Chelsea, Morgan and Max. I think it has to do with the lack of build up or caring that they had when first introduced on screen.

I remember when Belle, Shawn, Mimi, and Phillip were in the younger set and we felt connected to them because they were somehow connected to our fav vets. The were involved with their parents and families and so we saw them as extensions of them. Now they simply mention or throw these young people into scenes with their Parents, Payla and Bope, and we are just supposed to accept that these are fav offspring. It never worked for me.

I did not like snotty Chelsea when first introduced (her killing Zach certainly did not help) and now that she is loving immature/yet much more mature than three months ago, Chelsea who gets along with Bope, I still don't like her. Stax I will admit have chemistry but the whole uncle/neice thing freaks me out something awful. Standing alone, I hate Stephanie and find Max tolerable. Morgan can just go. Bringing on newer even more annoying characters that have to interact with other annoying characters like this Melanie chick is not helpful.

The show is good wih the vets and the late twenty somethings and early thirties people. I say bring back Belle and Shawn, Mimi and Rex and maybe Cassie and Will. At least I know and care about those young people even after years of absence, which is more than I can say for this current group.

Kyrai

e83talus
Aug 12 2008, 04:58 AM
The show was phenomenal and I am excited about the next two weeks. I loved the entire show and that was likely because the young annoying people were not on. The problem I have with the young people is both storylines and I don't seem to care at all about Stephanie, Chelsea, Morgan and Max. I think it has to do with the lack of build up or caring that they had when first introduced on screen.

I remember when Belle, Shawn, Mimi, and Phillip were in the younger set and we felt connected to them because they were somehow connected to our fav vets. The were involved with their parents and families and so we saw them as extensions of them. Now they simply mention or throw these young people into scenes with their Parents, Payla and Bope, and we are just supposed to accept that these are fav offspring. It never worked for me.

I did not like snotty Chelsea when first introduced (her killing Zach certainly did not help) and now that she is loving immature/yet much more mature than three months ago, Chelsea who gets along with Bope, I still don't like her. Stax I will admit have chemistry but the whole uncle/neice thing freaks me out something awful. Standing alone, I hate Stephanie and find Max tolerable. Morgan can just go. Bringing on newer even more annoying characters that have to interact with other annoying characters like this Melanie chick is not helpful.

The show is good wih the vets and the late twenty somethings and early thirties people. I say bring back Belle and Shawn, Mimi and Rex and maybe Cassie and Will. At least I know and care about those young people even after years of absence, which is more than I can say for this current group.
ITA!

The vets are amazing. Instead of vets vs. young people, the vets should be front and center nurturing the young people. Writing off these talented actors and putting young people on that we have no attachment to makes no sense. Instead of writing for the young people and using the vets to prop them, the vets should be the focus with the young people as part of the vet stories. Then we can grow to love the young people that stand out, and they will naturally lead to the future without killing us in the interim.

I loved Belle, Brady, Philip, Shawn, Sami (I can never like Eric again), Abby, Ej, etc because of their ties to the people I love on the show. I grew to enjoy Rex and Mimi because they were their friends.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Aug 12 2008, 01:20 AM
Well, whoever is writing it needs to stay!

I'm one of the few who has been seeing improvement steadily for awhile now but since the calendar turned to August, this show has become GOLD!!

Seriously, today rocked, plain and simple. i always enjoy small cast episodes like this. It's less work for the writers and they can provide us with good character stuff and they did that today. The Tony/Stefano scenes were a fine example of that. The fact that the show had so few characters to focus on allowed for the scenes to have time to breathe and be expanded so we could fully get inside the character's minds. I think the stuff with Tony and Stefano was needed. Some questioned how Tony was acting and I think today was a nice nod at reminding fans of the conflict in Tony. He wants to choose family but only if Stefano will change his ways. Tony has always been trying to get through to Stefano and we saw that today. Tony laid out why he shouldn't side with Stefano and we also saw why he would and it's simple...this is still his father and, just like I feel Tony would like to one day either take over the empire or help the empire become something that stands for good, I feel Tony wants Stefano to end his vengeful acts and become a better person. I think Tony still hopes for that and that is the source of the conflict and I can understand it. i just loved Joe getting teary-eyed when discussing the torture Marlena put him through by putting him in a coma. Thaoo and Joe were amazing today. Definitely Emmy-reel stuff.

Anna/John was a delight. Loved the motorcycle banter and their working together to find and save Marlena. I liked John's "by the book" approach with the CPR and was LMAO when she began breathing and he yelled out "Sensational!" and threw his arms up in the air. The John/Sami conversation and John/Kayla face off were so needed as it seems we are heading back in the direction of the "old" John or some part of him still being in there. It's clear he just wants people to accept him and that could very well explain his actions. He wants to prove he isn't what he used to be. MBE was great today, as was Drake. Liked the little J&M moment too with him coming into her room.

I also enjoyed the Anna/EJ/Sami interaction and Anna/Kayla interaction. I'm a sucker for small things like that. The cute Tony/Anna moments were so nice to see. Give us more of these two!! They were in their element today. This is the Tony and Anna I grew up watching!

Sami/EJ was ok. I do like them much better in supporting roles but I'm so sick of Sami's hysterics. Ali used to be good at this but now I feel she's done it so much of late she's phoning it in and just shrieking and lashing out. It feels so empty, like doing it just to get the job done. The character of Sami just feels like a mess. I really do think it's best to give her a rest for a few months. EJ didn't do much today but I liked him being Sami's calming presence.

Kudos to for having Kayla mention the Bo and Hope situation. I hope they keep making mentions of the other stories since we won't be seeing them. That way they can keep up the momentum of those stories.

The ending was a nice cliffhanger too. Can't wait for tomorrow as today was just superb.
Great post!

cassie1013

Ahh, the show is SO good right now! I totally agree, the smaller cast is an EXCELLENT way to tell story, it's a lot more engaging and focused.

I am annoyed at Stefano though, he's been AWESOME but he's whining like a little bitch about what Marlena did to him. Dude, does anyone give two shits? What about the shit he did to HER - seperating her from her husband and kids for YEARS, forcing her to give birth to 'alien twins', numerous other kidnapping attempts, what he's done to John...and he's whining that he was in a coma for a few months? Please. He's taken years and years of Marlena's life for his crazy shenanigans.

That said, this is also an interesting twist to the Stefano/Marlena story. As crazy as he is, prior to this, Stefano would have never physically hurt Marlena. Emotionally abuse, kidnap, yes - but imo, it was always like he was too blinded by his 'love' (obsession, rather) to ever actually harm her. So now what, the blinders are off? Or is he just temporarily hurting her, i.e. not the full experience that HE had with these drugs?

FanODays

Mason
Aug 11 2008, 09:56 PM
Kirk
Aug 11 2008, 09:51 PM
I guess it really doesn't matter who is writing the show right now, but I want to know because DAYS has been so good, especially the last 3 episodes. All the character interactions were just refreshing and makes me wonder why aren't most shows like this?
According to Nelson, what we're seeing right now is Ed Scott's work.
No wonder Higley is pissed. Scott probably scribbles better things on the back of a napkin than she comes up with sitting for days at a computer.

I do wish that Tony and Stefano would have it out over Tony being sent to an island for decades especially when Stefano ws there cueing up the violins for his pity party.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Can Corday give Leann Hunley a damn contract now. She's such an amazing actress. And it proves with good material that Tony & Anna belong on DAYS.

I've already watched Tue's eppy and Anna & Stefano's exchange is amazing.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

WoW just... WOW! I have have to say I am loving it so far. I think I certainly picked the right time to tune back in.

I saw where Mason said that according to Nelson this is Ed's work. And if so HOLY CRAP I love HIM, and his orange shoes lol. See, that kinda sucks though for him. Because if this IS his work, he's not gonna get credit for it, and Dena will.

And if this is Dena's work... I want to know wtf happened to her to make her write a GOOD show!

Kyrai

cassie1013
Aug 12 2008, 05:56 AM
Ahh, the show is SO good right now! I totally agree, the smaller cast is an EXCELLENT way to tell story, it's a lot more engaging and focused.

I am annoyed at Stefano though, he's been AWESOME but he's whining like a little bitch about what Marlena did to him. Dude, does anyone give two shits? What about the shit he did to HER - seperating her from her husband and kids for YEARS, forcing her to give birth to 'alien twins', numerous other kidnapping attempts, what he's done to John...and he's whining that he was in a coma for a few months? Please. He's taken years and years of Marlena's life for his crazy shenanigans.

That said, this is also an interesting twist to the Stefano/Marlena story. As crazy as he is, prior to this, Stefano would have never physically hurt Marlena. Emotionally abuse, kidnap, yes - but imo, it was always like he was too blinded by his 'love' (obsession, rather) to ever actually harm her. So now what, the blinders are off? Or is he just temporarily hurting her, i.e. not the full experience that HE had with these drugs?
lol, but it made me laugh. He's so like a petulant child. He did all that to her and her loved ones for so many years, but now SHE attacked him, SHE started it. I couldn't help but laugh at how insane he is. Loved Tony trying to deal with him. Stefano never truly loved her, he just wanted something he couldn't have, like a toy (that happened to be his brother's). He's always been a big spoiled baby. I love Stefano, lol.

Speaking of his brother, I also loved John being somewhat childish creeping his hand up that bed to Marlena then moving it when Sami almost caught him. That was adorable.

The childlike DiMera brothers lol.

LOVED the whole ep!

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Aug 12 2008, 05:56 AM

I so agree with this. While Joe's acting was terrific while telling Tony how he felt while paralyzed, he has done far worse to people than has ever been done to him. The week is off to a great start.

CindyJean
Member Avatar

Great show on Monday. I think Stefano would have real emotions about losing the control he so craves. I love LeeAnn - she won an emmy all those years ago for a reason- give her something to do and she shines. I like this side of EJ also. I just enjoyed it.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Aug 12 2008, 10:25 AM

Speaking of his brother, I also loved John being somewhat childish creeping his hand up that bed to Marlena then moving it when Sami almost caught him. That was adorable.

Loved that part! It's little things like that, that make the emotional connection with the audience. It's all the history that came before between J&M that made that a moment to take notice of.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I think what great about the show now is that you want to tune it to see what Stefano is going to do. It give us an element of surprise and anticipation. But they have to progress the storyline quickly keeping up with the twists and turns or the audience will get bored again!

I LOVE ANNA!! - she and Stefano were so funny! Why in the Hell they put Stefano in a coma for all those months - STUPID STUPID STUPID! Stefano is back a few days and things are cooking!!!
Edited by cjknick, Aug 12 2008, 04:21 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Another good episode! Can never have enough Anna! And it was nice seeing Tony interacting with Marlena. I'm usually happy with anyone interacting with JM, but some of the john/Stefano stuff fell flat to me, it might be I grow tired watching Drake's "performance". I did like JM's reaction to hearing about Ava and EJ standing up to his father as well as telling Sami Marlena was not trying to protect her family, she was just issuing revenge on Stefano for John.

Did anyone else get a Halloween II feeling from today's show? When the phones were dead, I halfway expected to hear that telltale theme music get played.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply