Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Weekly Discussion; Week of Aug. 11
Topic Started: Aug 11 2008, 02:14 AM (5,694 Views)
jane1978

Nice show today but Iīm really starting to miss the other storylines. 40 mins of this stuff which really doesnīt go anywhere is just too much for me. I think it would be much better if they intercutt it with the Paris, or Phillip/Morgan, or Bo/Hope, or just something. Thatīs why I loved Friday much more. The repetitiveness is getting me down. Another thing which really bothers me is this whole event is like only a few hours at max. in RL. I quess whoever wrote the story is a big fan of JER.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

Today's show was good again - and I know it was because I actually stopped to watch stuff I might not normally watch!

Stefano continues his streak, and while I didn't understand the Stefano/Marlena flashbacks at all, I really enjoyed watching them and seeing them so young!

Anna was a breath of fresh air today, and so fun to watch. John had the line of the day wondering whether Anna brought the same energy to the bedroom. And with Tony - I wonder how they're going to align the characters with the return of Stefano. Tony seemed none-too-happy that John had taken over the DiMera empire.

I loved Philip and Nicole today. How much more fun I would have had with a Phloe triangle if Nicole had been the third member of it! :) I liked that they're leaving the door open for Phloe too - today would have been the perfect chance for Philip to say things are totally over or he's moved on or that he is over her. But he didn't. He only said it didn't matter and he didn't deserve Chloe. :D

I still want Roman to die. Josh Taylor bugs so badly - I just want him gone.

CindyJean
Member Avatar

I love this week - but not everyone does. There has been some grumbling about too much bad guy with a syringe from some members of the Days fan group I moderate. I try to remind them in these Olympic weeks we are focusing on less. Maybe that is what the show has needed all along.

pagraves
Member Avatar

I do think a little more balance to the show needs to happen after the Olympics, and one downside of writing the story this way is that it lends itself to repetitiveness. I wish we could have focused a little more on the emotions and less on the action, overall. That's another sort of balance the show would benefit from. But overall, I'm okay with what's happening, although I'll admit to looking forward to the noir stuff just for a break in the routine.

esp13
Member Avatar

pagraves
Aug 14 2008, 03:09 PM
I do think a little more balance to the show needs to happen after the Olympics, and one downside of writing the story this way is that it lends itself to repetitiveness. I wish we could have focused a little more on the emotions and less on the action, overall. That's another sort of balance the show would benefit from. But overall, I'm okay with what's happening, although I'll admit to looking forward to the noir stuff just for a break in the routine.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the film noir stuff just to break things up a little myself. Not that it hasn't been good thus far, but it's kind of like the plane that took a week to crash. By the end, I was just ready for it to crash already and change things up a bit. After about the 15th time Stefano wandered into Marlena's room to gloat, it starts getting just a little old.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

LOVED seeing the Stefano/Marlena flashbacks today. To see those scenes again, where Stefano was "stealing away" his Queen of the Night. That really brought back some fond memories of this show. I know I sound corny, but it was really a special treat

Shylock

darraholic
Aug 14 2008, 09:20 AM
I quite enjoyed the Chloe & Stefano scenes. I remember when everyone thought Stefano would end up being Chloe's biological daughter.
Wow! A sex change AND a DE-aging/SORASing of Stefano? That would be something, wouldn't it?....... ;)
Edited by Shylock, Aug 14 2008, 09:44 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Shylock
Aug 14 2008, 09:43 PM
darraholic
I quite enjoyed the Chloe & Stefano scenes. I remember when everyone thought Stefano would end up being Chloe's biological daughter.
Wow! A sex change AND a DE-aging/SORASing of Stefano? That would be something, wouldn't it?....... ;)
LOL It was early.

koos

I thought Thursday was as bad as the rest of the spring/summer. Total paint-drying snorefest. For one thing, they shouldn't have shown anyone on the outside - the suspense was partially created by the sense of being trapped and not knowing what's going on outside. Philip and Nicole was boring as hell. Stefano popping in and out of Marlena's room over and over, undetected, was ridiculous and silly.

koos

esp13
Aug 14 2008, 03:13 PM
pagraves
Aug 14 2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the film noir stuff just to break things up a little myself. Not that it hasn't been good thus far, but it's kind of like the plane that took a week to crash. By the end, I was just ready for it to crash already and change things up a bit. After about the 15th time Stefano wandered into Marlena's room to gloat, it starts getting just a little old.
It was one of those things where something was repeated one too many times, losing its intensity. I've seen many episodes in the past two years where something was awesome one day and then repeated or re-shot and completely fluffed over the next...

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

koos
Aug 14 2008, 11:10 PM
I thought Thursday was as bad as the rest of the spring/summer. Total paint-drying snorefest. For one thing, they shouldn't have shown anyone on the outside - the suspense was partially created by the sense of being trapped and not knowing what's going on outside. Philip and Nicole was boring as hell. Stefano popping in and out of Marlena's room over and over, undetected, was ridiculous and silly.
I have to disagree on showing people outside of this. I think part of the problem is they waited too long to do just that. They should've started doing that Tuesday. Monday was fine in that they did alot of character stuff and they did the same thing today, which is why I think it stuck out. I think the one thing wrong with the show right now is how they are fucking with momentum. I agree with Jane in that while I understand why they did what they did for the Olympics, they really should've balanced things as far as the focus goes. Other characters should've been featured because, honestly, they seem to be grasping at straws right now with things. Monday you felt an energy and there was so much fantastic character work being down so no characters were needed but John, Marlena, Sami, EJ, Kayla, Stefano, Tony, and Anna. Tuesday had some little character stuff but focused more on building the terror and action, which it did well. They also brought Steve into the action with Joe. Wednesday was all action and no character stuff to speak of. They brought Lucas and Chloe into it and, honestly, I have no idea why they waited that long to do that. They should've been used on Tuesday and throughout. It just sticks out. The same way not having Sami/EJ and Steve/Kayla on today stuck out. Sami/EJ was the cliffhanger yesterday yet we don't see them today? Not good. Roman/Philip/Nicole (and Abe/Lexie, who get in on things tomorrow) should've been brought into this Tuesday or even yesterday when things were picking up. That way they could've added to the terror of things and maybe the show would not have had so much repetition since it had more characters to play with. I honestly think that is the case. Monday, Tuesday, and today it did so much character work and Wednesday it advanced the action so much that it's almost like they realized they were moving too fast and backtracked so they are fucking with momentum. I don't get that.

Going along with all that, it seems the Film Noir stuff will dominate Monday and Tuesday as the hospital takes a back seat for today days after tomorrow. That is just dumb. You leave viewers with a cliffhanger tomorrow and now those who are into that story have to wait until Wednesday to see it get picked up from where it ended? You lose people that way. Mix the Noir stuff with the hospital stuff. They are isolating things too much.

Here is what I would've done starting with this past Monday:

Monday: Leave as is.
Tuesday: Leave everything only bring Lucas/Chloe into things today and introduce Roman into the action at the end when the lockdown really gets going.
Wednesday: Bring Philip/Nicole into the action and probably Abe/Lexie. Everything else ok as is.
Thursday/Friday: Lucas/Chloe should still be on in some capacity, as should Philip/Nicole/Abe/Lexie. Sami/EJ and Steve/Kayla would be featured and what material they have on Friday could play out over the two days. Nicole sees Sami/EJ, leading to Film Noir stuff on Monday.

Going into next week, I would just play intermingle the hospital and Noir stories. Hell, if you have to use classic flashbacks of Sam/Marlena or "old" John to fill things in a bit, do that. You can't just drop and pick up things. It's poor pacing and dumb and if Ed is responsible for this material I'm shocked at him for the way this is being handled. Yes, the show is on a roll but this pacing is not good if you want to pick up viewers since we all know different viewers get invested in certain things. Fans of the hospital stuff...what will they do Monday when they tune in and see nothing but Nicole's fantasy (since that seems to be all of Monday and Tuesday)? They won't know what the hell is going on. That is why you feature both stories. The hospital thing has been going on all week and just dropping it for two days and picking it up again for the rest of next week is just creating a potential mess.

On another note, I do think what Jane said in regards to the other stories we had going on before the Olympics is a credible concern. I know many did not like Higley's stories but they were finally moving in a good direction before the break. The Paul story, Philip/Morgan, and Melanie stuff was getting interesting and now they dropped it all and I very much doubt momentum will be there after the break from them. Some came back to Days to watch Stefano and Bope's vow renewal so the show missed a chance to continue to attract fans to other stories. I understood when they said that they didn't want people who couldn't find Days or catch it during the Olympics to miss anything but the show is still moving story. They have set up the J&M/Stefano story and are setting up some good stuff for Tony/EJ/Anna/Sami and maybe even Steve/Kayla. It's kind of going against the purpose of what they were doing so why not feature the Paul story since there is more emphasis on Bope now. That may work. I guess what I'm saying is the strategy isn't working because they are still moving story so it's like giving up momentum of the other stories for nothing.

Sorry to rant but all of this bugged me and I know many think that nothing bothers me concerning Days and that I enjoy everything but that isn't true. I just tend to focus more on the big picture and this affects that. Maybe I will be wrong and Monday and Tuesday or at least one of those days will still feature the hospital stuff but I doubt it judging by spoilers.

On to today, which I did enjoy.

I don't mind Stefano going to Marlena repeatedly. He likes to taunt his victims. Plus, as I said yesterday, he doesn't want to get caught so he must keep leaving. As mentioned above, I do think they could cut down on this if more characters were featured but I digress. I liked the flashbacks. Nice choices. I wasn't a huge fan of that story but I know many Days fans love that aspect of Stefano and Marlena so it was a nice touch. The Stefano/Marlena stuff was just great. I like how Stefano unknowingly held the syringe that could help Marlena in his hand and was sort of unknowingly toying with her in a way as she hoped he would inject her with it. Too bad he figured out what it is. I liked the disk scene too, which seemed to support my theory that Stefano has been awake and recovering longer then anyone thought. I suspect Rolf got his hand on the disk and gave it to Stefano.

I liked John/Tony/Anna. Loved the scene where Anna searched Stefano's room and only heard his voice, thinking it was a hallucination only to turn and see Stefano there for real. LeAnn's scream was perfect. Not over the top. Just right. Nice mini-cliffhanger with her last scene having her lying there with Stefano over her. Creepy. Liked her banter with John and Tony and her little scene with Tony. Loved John asked Tony if Anna brought that same energy to the bedroom LOL. John and Tony's faceoff was wonderful. Again, more awesome character work. I like how they are explaining Tony's motivation for wanting the Dimera empire and resenting John having. It makes sense that he would hate seeing what John is doing with it and Tony's wanted to change the Dimera legacy so it all ties nicely together. I liked how they planted the seeds for John to pursue Marlena today with Tony explaining how Stefano hated how Marlena fell for his "pawn." Nice flashbacks to John's funeral and return too. The end with Tony hallucinating Stefano felt like something taken out of the 80's as it really showed what the Tony and Stefano dynamic is. Good stuff.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere so I will note it here...someone mentioned how Tony talked of Roman and how Stefano hated him because of Marlena. I don't think that was what Tony meant. I believe he was saying how Roman being with Marlena too only contributed to his hatred for Roman and the Brady's, which makes sense. That is how I took it, anyway. That aspect of the line almost felt tossed in so it was hard to put it all together.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and rant but I needed to get that out there and it goes to show you not everything pleases me LOL. The show was good and that is all that matters. Look forward to tomorrow.

Alligato
Member Avatar

What a thorough post, Pheonix! Good points!

I thought todays show was dragging on some fronts. How long do we have to see people cough and point at the smoke...and come in and talk to Marlena and leave. Poor woman!
I loved John in fix-it mode.
And what is up with the Lexie/Nicole conversation? Sometimes Lexie needs to keep her trap shut about matters of relationships...not like we see Lexie and EJ commiserating at all, and not like Lexie and Sami are the best of buds. That was weird.

My favorite part was the Sami/EJ part. It was different, a nice change of pace, and really not sure why the door opened for them both times, but is now locked shut. Plot device I guess. Their chat, while repetitive, was a welcome break from the insanity of the 7th floor. Kinda got caught up in the kiss at the end...and I am almost sure that will be the end of it. No follow up to it. No next scene. When they are both caught up in it, those two are magnetic and romantic together...although i am such a sucker for British guys with their shirt open and their tie hanging.

Also loved that when Willow or Ford Decker fall down the stairs, they are instantly dead. When EJ falls down the stairs, he rubs his head and gets back up! That's my stallion!

CindyJean
Member Avatar

darraholic
Ha! Wait....What? I do not get this at all?

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

CinderAngelkc
Aug 15 2008, 06:16 PM
darraholic
darra meant that there was a time when it was widely thought that Stefano would end up being Chloe's biological Father......... :D

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Aug 15 2008, 07:12 PM
CinderAngelkc
Aug 15 2008, 06:16 PM
darraholic
darra meant that there was a time when it was widely thought that Stefano would end up being Chloe's biological Father......... :D
Chloe and EJ would now be brother and sister. That would have been awesome :D

dorothyg
Member Avatar

Days has been really worth watching these past two weeks. Love Tony and Anna, Ej and Sami John, Marlena and all the vets. So nice not to have to watch the young crowd this past week. So refreshing!I hope the good s/ls keep up. I'm loving Days!!!!

Kyrai

Alligato
Aug 15 2008, 04:46 PM
What a thorough post, Pheonix! Good points!

I thought todays show was dragging on some fronts. How long do we have to see people cough and point at the smoke...and come in and talk to Marlena and leave. Poor woman!
I loved John in fix-it mode.
And what is up with the Lexie/Nicole conversation? Sometimes Lexie needs to keep her trap shut about matters of relationships...not like we see Lexie and EJ commiserating at all, and not like Lexie and Sami are the best of buds. That was weird.

My favorite part was the Sami/EJ part. It was different, a nice change of pace, and really not sure why the door opened for them both times, but is now locked shut. Plot device I guess. Their chat, while repetitive, was a welcome break from the insanity of the 7th floor. Kinda got caught up in the kiss at the end...and I am almost sure that will be the end of it. No follow up to it. No next scene. When they are both caught up in it, those two are magnetic and romantic together...although i am such a sucker for British guys with their shirt open and their tie hanging.

Also loved that when Willow or Ford Decker fall down the stairs, they are instantly dead. When EJ falls down the stairs, he rubs his head and gets back up! That's my stallion!
LMAO, I was really worried about EJ. That was quite a fall. ITA with your points. I still LOVE not having to FF at all, and I love seeing the vets, but some of it was a bit repetitive. After the great Payla scenes earlier in the week, they seemed wasted at the end when all they did was cough. Same with people walking in on Marlena and leaving, but I did like Marlena looking over at that syringe constantly and Anna just talking away totally missing it, lol.

John in no-nonsense fix-it mode is pretty sexy to me (ok, Drake is always pretty sexy to me, but I really liked him here). As always, I enjoyed Tony and Anna's scenes. Tony and John play off of each other really well imo. I love watching them together. EJ and Sami were probably my favorite scenes (and I'm a J&M fan and vet fan, I only like Ejami). In the midst of turmoil, I loved them just sitting there comforting, talking, being there for each other. It was very sweet and peaceful despite the circumstances.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I have to say, for the most part it was a good week all around IMO!

The only part that bugged me was Roman, he sounded like a total dip-shit to me. All I can say is thank heavens he isn't the police commander where I live :D

Mason

Tammy
Aug 17 2008, 01:05 PM
The only part that bugged me was Roman, he sounded like a total dip-shit to me.
When doesn't he? LoL

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Mason
Aug 17 2008, 08:08 PM
Tammy
Aug 17 2008, 01:05 PM
The only part that bugged me was Roman, he sounded like a total dip-shit to me.
When doesn't he? LoL
My Mom keeps asking me if he had plastic surgery, she says it looks like the doctor forgot to pull one side of his face as tight as the other........ :roflol:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply