Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers & Previews; week of 8/25 **UPDATED 8/19**
Topic Started: Aug 12 2008, 02:51 PM (9,778 Views)
Shylock

Wow. It was just a week ago when most people were enjoying Melanie/Max/Steph scenes and talking about her potential pairing with Nick.. and now back to "LOL boring crap ff". Damn.

Week looks decent, if kind of lopsided. It's too bad they wouldn't transition the Trent/Max/Steph/Mel/Nick storyline back into the fold more.. slowly and evenly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Kenny
Aug 12 2008, 03:40 PM
It's so apparent that there's been a backstage struggle.

We go from the most boring shit we've ever watched, to a week of the most exciting stuff we've had in a year, then immediately back to the most boring shit we've ever watched. Fuck you, Days.
But whatīs on screen now is not a story. Itīs an event. Itīs exactly the same stuff like the plane crash. Isolated event with no real impact. Itīs the kind of stuff GH usually does for sweeps, itīs exciting, but it cannot go for a long time. Itīs three days and itīs already repeating, thatīs why we wil get the Nicolīs fantasy story beginning the next week.

I must say Iīm really tired with this the show is good - Ed Scott is writing, the show is bad - Dena is back. Even Nelson said we will get back to Denaīs stuff in four weeks. This will be only two, so even if his source is right this is Ed Scottīs stuff too. And the backstage struggle happened only a week or so ago, so even assuming all the rumours are right it will take atleast another month till we get back to Denaīs stuff again.

Mason
Member Avatar

jane1978
Aug 12 2008, 04:10 PM
I must say Iīm really tired with this the show is good - Ed Scott is writing, the show is bad - Dena is back. Even Nelson said we will get back to Denaīs stuff in four weeks. This will be only two, so even if his source is right this is Ed Scottīs stuff too. And the backstage struggle happened only a week or so ago, so even assuming all the rumours are right it will take atleast another month till we get back to Denaīs stuff again.
And when we do get back to Higley's stuff, I'm sure it'll be even worse.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Kenny

We go from the most boring shit we've ever watched, to a week of the most exciting stuff we've had in a year, then immediately back to the most boring shit we've ever watched. Fuck you, Days.
But whatīs on screen now is not a story. Itīs an event. Itīs exactly the same stuff like the plane crash. Isolated event with no real impact. Itīs the kind of stuff GH usually does for sweeps, itīs exciting, but it cannot go for a long time. Itīs three days and itīs already repeating, thatīs why we wil get the Nicolīs fantasy story beginning the next week.

Very true, but it's not as if Ed Scott could just completely abandon the Higley stories. Even if he were made headwriter tomorrow, he'd still have to address them and find some way for them to wrap up. I don't for one second believe that ES would write for Stax/Chan/etc. if he didn't have to.

Who the hell knows though. Days is such a clusterfuck nowadays, it's hard to tell anything.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Sounds like we're back to snoozeville Days. I'm glad to see Nicole mentioned in one, but other than that :sleep:
Edited by DolceDiMera, Aug 12 2008, 04:19 PM.

Ellie

jane1978

I'll tell you what I think the difference is. The plane crash could have had an impact, if Higley had followed up longterm on any of the events. But she didn't. A few weeks later, the plane crash could never have happened, and all of the storylines would have been pretty much the same.

The hospital storyline this week is a series of events with built-in impact. I'm not sure how this could be 'pulled out' of the current storyline. So many characters are affected, and what affects one character affects another as well. If this does turn out to be an isolated story, and the writers drop the ball, then I'd say you're right. But I don't see that happening here. Ditto for Nicole's fantasy... sure, it's a fun one-time stunt. But if it causes changes in the dynamics between the characters as a result, then it's not a "Higley-type event" at all.

Shylock

Kenny
Aug 12 2008, 04:18 PM
jane1978
Kenny

Very true, but it's not as if Ed Scott could just completely abandon the Higley stories. Even if he were made headwriter tomorrow, he'd still have to address them and find some way for them to wrap up. I don't for one second believe that ES would write for Stax/Chan/etc. if he didn't have to.

Who the hell knows though. Days is such a clusterfuck nowadays, it's hard to tell anything.
When you say "Stax" and "Chan", you mean the couples themselves, right? Not the individual characters? Cause I wouldn't believe any smart writer/producer could just throw the younger set aside and not attempt to build them for the future.
Edited by Shylock, Aug 12 2008, 04:46 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm with Jane on this. Seriously, we knew the other stories were coming back and, if we are going by what Nelson said, this is still Ed Scott's stuff so maybe it will surprise people. Hell, last week, people were praising the Melanie/Max/Stephanie stuff and now it's crap? Some of you are honestly losing me. I hear some go on and on about how they hate it when soaps drop stories, whether those stories are good or bad, but yet it sounds like some want them to drop other stories and just focus on the people we are seeing now. Isn't that contributing to the problem? People say they want balance yet when we get a balanced week like we see in these previews (and it is balanced...John/Marlena story on 3 days, Paul story on a few days, Chan/Kate on a few days, Stax/Melanie/Nick on a few days) people have a fit. I honestly don't know what some want anymore. Is it just because these seem to be through and through Higley stories? I don't like the woman either but it's not that bad and her stories were actually moving in a nice direction even before Stefano's return, although no surprise some still found that boring.

I have to say this week looks promising. It sounds like the Daniel/Kate affair is exposed because why else would Lexie be wanting to patch things up with Daniel and Chelsea? That is a positive and major story movement. It could be Ed Scott's way of tying that up, if this is his material. It does look like stories may be repositioning as the Stax stuff becomes more about dealing with Melanie and the Melanie/Nick interaction and the Chan stuff will be imploding a bit because of the reveal. Plus, the Paul story has turned into a good Bo/Kiriakis story.

I'm glad Nick sees more action. I like that the Paul stuff is finally moving and Tony and Anna moving into the mansion is a major plus and soon mean we will see them more. The J&M stuff seems good too. I honestly don't see what is so bad about this. It's pretty balanced and there is movement. Sure, there isn't some huge happening like this week and next but that can't happen all the time. Like Jane said, that is an event that gives birth to new stories and developments, as we can see in these spoilers. It makes me laugh how people bashed the hell out of Higley for doing events yet are praising Ed Scott for what we are seeing now, which is an event.

Hopefully, the week can please some naysayers but it looks like a decent week to me. Hell, I wouldn't even blame the show for having a slow week the week of 8/25. It's sort of the last week of summer in a way. People are taking last minute vacations and such. School is coming. Colleges reopen. The numbers for soaps, particularly Days, usually take a hit around this time period. I've seen Days in recent years put out some good stuff the week before Labor Day and into September and get nothing for it because of the summer coming to a close and the holiday weekend. It seems like this year they will at least give us a week with plot movement, which is good.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 12 2008, 04:47 PM.

pagraves
Member Avatar

I think Ed Scott would realize he's got to build a younger group of characters, and I don't think that any of the young actors or characters are so horrible that he (or anyone) wouldn't want to write for them. I personally would rather watch Stephanie, Max, Nick and Melanie in France any day of the week rather than watch one more minute of the EJ/Sami/Lucas merry-go-round, especially if Stax and Co.are written as they've been over the past couple of weeks (or EJamilu are written as they were all of last year).

I personally don't find John and Marlena compelling, even though I think I could find them more compelling if Iiked their acting or found their chemistry together appealing, or if their story was better written. But I don't assume my lack of interest in them means that nobody else finds them interesting. And I do understand they have a place on the show just as much as my favorites do. So I deal.

(I haven't yet found my ability to do that with Chan, though. Hard as I try).

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

I can't even comment on the huge, disappointing, waste of my life that will be the Grandmasex Reveal. I don't even know why I bother anymore.

Oh, and the Olympic stuff right now sucks too. I know I'm in the minority, but aside from a few characters (and I mean like, one or two) I don't care what happens to everyone. Let them all die in the freaking hospital from The Evil Purple Gas of Doom. I mean it, even Ej.

Melanie, I'm afraid will eventually get ruined like every other good opportunity on this damn show. Why can't Stax and Chan be in the hospital and fall down an elevator shaft while hallucinating a gigantic purple hot air balloon?

Oh, and Lucas can take his empty threats and shove 'em. STFU. Seriously, all these storylines are poor remakes of stuff that was actually compelling at one point and then lost it's zest after the, um, 40th time it was done. I feel like I've read these same spoilers for this same storyline for the last two years.

Gah, why am I such a miserable bitch today?

jane1978

Ellie
Aug 12 2008, 04:33 PM
jane1978

I'll tell you what I think the difference is. The plane crash could have had an impact, if Higley had followed up longterm on any of the events. But she didn't. A few weeks later, the plane crash could never have happened, and all of the storylines would have been pretty much the same.

The hospital storyline this week is a series of events with built-in impact. I'm not sure how this could be 'pulled out' of the current storyline. So many characters are affected, and what affects one character affects another as well. If this does turn out to be an isolated story, and the writers drop the ball, then I'd say you're right. But I don't see that happening here. Ditto for Nicole's fantasy... sure, it's a fun one-time stunt. But if it causes changes in the dynamics between the characters as a result, then it's not a "Higley-type event" at all.
I just donīt understand how anyone can call it storyline, because IMO itīs just big entrance for Stefano. I love it too but I think even now itīs sometimes dangerously close to Reillyīs non moving episodes. Itīs great mainly because the character interaction are still fresh and people are happy just because their favorites are suddenly dominating, but the story is non existant. Marlena lies paralyzed while all people come in to tell her how great she is? Stefano repeats for n-th times to anybody who listens he wants and will have his revenge? John immitates Jack Bauer? Everybody believes everybody is someone else because the intoxicating gas? Itīs funny for a while but it cannot go forever.

Thatīs why I donīt understand why people are so upset there are other stories featured again.

Ellie

jane1978
Aug 12 2008, 04:53 PM
I just donīt understand how anyone can call it storyline, because IMO itīs just big entrance for Stefano.
It is a big entrance for Stefano, but if done right (and it looks like it might be!), it will be the way to jump-start the other stories that have stagnated under Higley.

Quote:

Itīs great mainly because the character interaction are still fresh and people are happy just because their favorites are suddenly dominating, but the story is non existant. Marlena lies paralyzed while all people come in to tell her how great she is?
Ahem, no comment about Marlena (and that's not what happens), but I think this is missing the point. Marlena is paralyzed because of an ongoing back-and-forth between Stefano and her. Stefano is exacting revenge for what she did to him, which was because of what he did to John, etc etc. That's a story! Now it sounds like she's not exactly 100% when she wakes up... I think it will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote:

Stefano repeats for n-th times to anybody who listens he wants and will have his revenge?
I thought yesterday's scenes were far from that. Stefano has not (imo) been written in character for a very long time. Now he's getting older, and he might be ready for his sons to take over, but guess what? They're 'good guys' all of a sudden and don't share his ideals. I think that's very 'deep' writing, and if it can provide the impetus for what happens to the characters, all the better.

Quote:

John immitates Jack Bauer? Everybody believes everybody is someone else because the intoxicating gas? Itīs funny for a while but it cannot go forever.
ROFL no comment about John, but as I said, if there are lasting effects, then it's a 'fun' event (appropriate during the Olympics) which can serve as the catalyst for future stories. But if it's all forgotten soon afterwards, then I agree it's not very good writing.

Quote:

Thatīs why I donīt understand why people are so upset there are other stories featured again.
I think what people are complaining about is the specific stories that are featured, rather than the fact that these stories are coming to an end. This week has featured so many of the vets, and now we have spoilers full of Max/Stephanie/Melanie/Trent/Daniel. imo in these two weeks we're getting a taste of Days centered around its core characters, and it looks like they're unfortunately moving away from that in weeks to come.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't see how the show is moving away from the vets. Bo. John, Marlena, Tony, Anna, Roman, and Kate are all still mentioned in these spoilers. The other stories are showing movement and that is a good thing because it will complement the big stuff with the vets and Stefano well.

It almost seems like, for some, they don't want their to be any other stories. There has be other ones and, hell, if you don't like these stories, you have to end these first to move on to others. Last year at this time people were upset that there were only two stories...Touch The Sky and the Vendetta and now it seems some want a return to their only being one or two stories. Can't happen if you want a balanced show.

There is no such thing as the perfect show. There is always going to be something that bugs someone or is boring to someone. This is only one week after the big Olympics stuff. If we start to see them stray more and more from using the vets and if stories stagnate again like they did in late May/early June, then I will be right there complaining along with the others but, with the show on the roll it's on and even after seeing these spoilers, I don't see a reason to get upset...yet.

Ponz
Member Avatar

I'm not seeing how the Olympics stuff is indicative of some fundamental power struggle behind the scenes. DAYS always produces sporadic weeks of brilliance/excitement followed by months of the same old crap. It's no different under Higley.
Edited by Ponz, Aug 12 2008, 05:22 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 12 2008, 04:46 PM
Hell, last week, people were praising the Melanie/Max/Stephanie stuff and now it's crap?
I don't know about others, but I always thought it was crap.

Quote:

hear some go on and on about how they hate it when soaps drop stories, whether those stories are good or bad, but yet it sounds like some want them to drop other stories and just focus on the people we are seeing now. Isn't that contributing to the problem? People say they want balance yet when we get a balanced week like we see in these previews (and it is balanced...John/Marlena story on 3 days, Paul story on a few days, Chan/Kate on a few days, Stax/Melanie/Nick on a few days) people have a fit. I honestly don't know what some want anymore.

I'm all for balance and flow within stories, but when I'm bored with the stories themselves, it seems to be all for nought.

Quote:

Is it just because these seem to be through and through Higley stories? I don't like the woman either but it's not that bad and her stories were actually moving in a nice direction even before Stefano's return, although no surprise some still found that boring.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but I just genuinely find these spoilers boring - doesn't matter to me if it's Higley, Scott, or Agnes Nixon responsible for them.

Quote:

It makes me laugh how people bashed the hell out of Higley for doing events yet are praising Ed Scott for what we are seeing now, which is an event.

And if Higley were responsible for this week, I'd praise her for it too. I'd be surprised, of course, but nevertheless I'd give her credit, just as I gave her credit for the plane crash and Grandpa Shawn's funeral in February.

Quote:

Hopefully, the week can please some naysayers but it looks like a decent week to me.

I don't know who here is a naysayer. I personally just want the show to entertain me and when it's not, yes, I'm going to call it out on it, just as I praise it when it's good.
Edited by Mason, Aug 12 2008, 05:43 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daisysmommy

Shylock
Aug 12 2008, 04:45 PM
Kenny
Aug 12 2008, 04:18 PM
jane1978
Kenny

When you say "Stax" and "Chan", you mean the couples themselves, right? Not the individual characters? Cause I wouldn't believe any smart writer/producer could just throw the younger set aside and not attempt to build them for the future.
Well, I would almost say throw em out.

Here's what I mean:

These youngins' (ie under 40!!) need to be built slowly and have connections that matter to the people that matter to viewers.

Outside of JKJ and RM, I seriously don't get it.

I liked Nick, but wasn't he cast prime? I don't know why I liked him, but I know he wasn't Morgraine-elodied down my throat.

Stax just sucks because, well, sometimes stuff sucks.

They would be better off recasting/or recalling Belle/Claire/Brady, etc...viewers would feel connected.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Aug 12 2008, 05:35 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 12 2008, 04:46 PM
Hell, last week, people were praising the Melanie/Max/Stephanie stuff and now it's crap?
I don't know about others, but I always thought it was crap.

Quote:

hear some go on and on about how they hate it when soaps drop stories, whether those stories are good or bad, but yet it sounds like some want them to drop other stories and just focus on the people we are seeing now. Isn't that contributing to the problem? People say they want balance yet when we get a balanced week like we see in these previews (and it is balanced...John/Marlena story on 3 days, Paul story on a few days, Chan/Kate on a few days, Stax/Melanie/Nick on a few days) people have a fit. I honestly don't know what some want anymore.

I'm all for balance and flow within stories, but when I'm bored with the stories themselves, it seems to be all for nought.

Quote:

Is it just because these seem to be through and through Higley stories? I don't like the woman either but it's not that bad and her stories were actually moving in a nice direction even before Stefano's return, although no surprise some still found that boring.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but I just genuinely find these spoilers boring - doesn't matter to me if it's Higley, Scott, or Agnes Nixon responsible for them.

Quote:

It makes me laugh how people bashed the hell out of Higley for doing events yet are praising Ed Scott for what we are seeing now, which is an event.

And if Higley were responsible for this week, I'd praise her for it too. I'd be surprised, of course, but nevertheless I'd give her credit, just as I gave her credit for the plane crash and Grandpa Shawn's funeral in February.

Quote:

Hopefully, the week can please some naysayers but it looks like a decent week to me.

I don't know who here is a naysayer. I personally just want the show to entertain me and when it's not, yes, I'm going to call it out on it, just as I praise it when it's good.
I know, Mason.

My post wasn't necessarily about you. I noticed you didn't find much enjoyment in the Stax/Melanie stuff even last week.

I was speaking, as usual, in general, because I don't like calling people out. I will say I was not alluding to you in my post. I guess the only thing to do is to just see what happens. People weren't so into the Bope vow renewal and that surprised some people so who knows. Some may be surprised to see how this week plays out. I hope so. I think it looks good but that's nothing new LOL.

stefenohairychest
Member Avatar

wouldn't you know it I am on vacation and my birthday is on the 27th and stefeno is not on I am sooooooooooo angry

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Angie79
Aug 12 2008, 02:51 PM

Friday, August 29th
Marlena is not in her hospital room and nobody seems to know where she is; John finds Marlena; Chelsea meets Daniel and Kate at the pub; Tony and Anna move their things into the DiMera mansion; Anna is uncomfortable with the situation.
Thanks for the spoilers! Friday sounds good!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

daisysmommy
Aug 12 2008, 03:11 PM
Fifty bucks says he meets her on the pier. Been waiting for that shit for YEARS!
:rockon:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply