Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Northwest Afternoon" cancelled!
Topic Started: Aug 13 2008, 08:19 PM (1,830 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

seattlepi.com

KOMO cancels 'Northwest Afternoon' after 24-year-run

As it basked in the afterglow of a strong showing at the regional Emmy Awards ceremony KOMO/4 announced Monday that it will pull the plug on "Northwest Afternoon," the locally produced talk and entertainment show that has been on the air for nearly 24 years.

In a news release distributed Monday afternoon, KOMO vice president and general manager Jim Clayton gave no reason for the decision. A station spokesman later said poor ratings are the culprit. "NWA" goes head to head in the Seattle market with "Rachael Ray" on KIRO/7 and "Dr. Phil" on KING/5.

The station said on-air personalities will remain with the station "and be integrated into news and other programming."

"Northwest Afternoon" is co-hosted by Natasha Curry, Cindi Rinehart and Kent Phillips. It offers the same sort of fare as nationally syndicated daytime programming -- touring authors, visiting celebrities, consumer advice, etc. -- with the added fillip of Rinehart's soap opera updates.

"Northwest Afternoon," which airs weekdays at 3 p.m., will wrap at the end of August and be replaced in the fall by "The Doctors," a nationally syndicated program developed by Dr. Phil McGraw's production company. "The Doctors" will feature an ensemble of medical experts in a roundtable discussion of daily topics.

Before the finale, Clayton said viewers can expect a retrospective look at some of the show's luminaries and landmark episodes over the years.

"This has been an outstanding program for many years in the local market," Clayton said. "Shows like 'Northwest Afternoon' are unique in today's broadcast industry. It is a true testament to those employees who have worked on it over the years."

Aside from newscasts and sports shows, original daily programming on commercial TV stations is increasingly rare. The departure of "NWA" will leave KING's "Evening Magazine" as the only locally produced daily program on commercial TV in Seattle.

KOMO introduced "Northwest Afternoon" in September 1984. The show's original co-hosts were Dick Foley and Dana Middleton.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Never heard of it before!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I love Cindi Rinehart's soap scoops from what I have seen of her online. I know shows like that just have no chance in today's broadcast world but that's still depressing to know it's going away.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

I noticed this last week when she was advertising her final show. It's truly sad. She's been doing this for well over 20 years. Before the Internet I always went to her for scoops etc...

I will miss her greatly even though I was getting sick of her constant GH pimping.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray,& Oprah.......... :flipoff:

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

awwwwww

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I am really sad. I watched her via the net. I hate talk shows, seriously, self help to me is like giving yourself a filling or a root canal...dumb dumb dumb...I have never learned a useful thing from the likes of DR Phil. And I hate watching contrived celeb interviews...they never reveal anything I want to know about them on fluffy shows like that...So I can not help but think after hearing the news of this shows demise...SCREW The Person who axed this show up the ass witha steel toed boot. I swear every year that passes I watch less and less TV.

Jonatha

Dragonish1
Aug 14 2008, 10:49 AM
I am really sad. I watched her via the net. I hate talk shows, seriously, self help to me is like giving yourself a filling or a root canal...dumb dumb dumb...I have never learned a useful thing from the likes of DR Phil. And I hate watching contrived celeb interviews...they never reveal anything I want to know about them on fluffy shows like that...So I can not help but think after hearing the news of this shows demise...SCREW The Person who axed this show up the ass witha steel toed boot. I swear every year that passes I watch less and less TV.
Thanks for posting, Rick. I heard this as a rumor last week and have been trying to verify it since. I've been a Cindi fan for many years via the internet. She gave out a lot of good interviews and great scoops. I'm sad to see this long time soap staple leave the air, it will be greatly missed by so many of Cindi's fans. :frown:

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Big mistake KOMO!

Cindi is well loved. One cannot help but appreciate her. Her love of the soap genre shines through with every broadcast.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply