Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: John to Marlena: I want you back!
Topic Started: Aug 14 2008, 07:53 AM (4,091 Views)
Jonatha

Please link to DR:

John tells Marlena the words she's been waiting to hear this week; he wants to make a go of their marriage.

"Does he come to her bedside? Does she say he loves him? Does it all change?" reflects Deidre Hall (Marlena). "Yes. It all changes in a thousand different directions." The declaration is set in motion after John and Marlena, affected by the purple vapor filling the hospital, are confronted with figures from their past. John meets up with Santo and the old John, who urge him not to give up on his love for Marlena. Meanwhile, Marlena has an encounter with her deceased twin, Samantha.

"It's the old Sam," explains Hall. "She's feisty. She's funny. She loves Marlena. And at the end of the day she's there to help Marlena help herself." That is, after lecturing her about drugging Stefano and whether or not she should give up on John.

"Marlena talks to Sam about what it's like to love John and how happy he makes her," recounts Hall, knowing that Sam doesn't urge Marlena to fight for him. "Sam encourages Marlena to survive and live her best life. She knows Marlena can't do that without her own sense of integrity." Sam presses Marlena to fight the toxin Stefano had injected her with.

"Marlena's losing consciousness and fighting it the best she can," explains Hall. "The possible antidote has been left in her room by Kayla. She's not sure if it's deadly or the right stuff, but it's the only chance she has. Sam urges Marlena to tap into her inner strength." It works. Marlena reaches for the syringe and plunges it into her thigh. Later, Lexie checks on Marlena and declares her prognosis good, as John approaches her bedside.

"What the writer's have done is interesting," muses Hall. "They've juxtaposed these characters. Marlena is fighting for herself and not fighting for John, and John is less about himself and more in tuned to what his feelings are, deep down, for Marlena." John tells Marlena he wants to work on their marriage. Marlena struggles to speak and asks John who he is.

"Marlena means, 'Who are you as a person?'" clarifies Hall, referring to the old John versus the new one. "Then she starts falling asleep and says, 'You have no idea how much I wanted to be with you.'"

Wanted, as in past tense? "Marlena is tired of spinning her wheels," declares Hall. "She's tired to chasing a dream. Unless John comes to the awareness that the old person she loves is in there and wants to regain that persona, that integrity, and that interaction with her, she doesn't want to fight for it anymore."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jules

Thanks Jonatha. Sounds promising. I'm glad Marlena is fighting for herself, but I don't want her to give up on John. The fact that he has recognized some of old John's feelings indicates that more of him may be emerging. I really hope so.

e83talus
Member Avatar

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN IN THIS STORYLINE.

FINALLY SOME GOOD J&M!

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Jonny, I am anjoying this Dimera stuff....finally it seems the show is GOING SOMEWHERE.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

FINALLY things are getting good,thank you John for talking to yourself,lol,I knew August would be the better than June or July.Weird Sam lectures Marlena given her past,but ok,looking forward to seeing new and old John,even if its an hallucination I have been waiting since October to see Old John again,FINALLY things are going in the direction that it should have gone months ago,John and Marlena belong together and if some people cannot see that than their blind,but JM will reunite,thanks to Stefano too,if he had no released the vapors who knows where JM would be,as always when Stefano does something it leads JM back to where they should always be,TOGETHER.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Jonatha ... I love that the new John gets a visit from his father and the old John ... now that's a kick in the pants! Go DiMera's!

Ellie

Thanks Jonatha!

Wow. I just cannot get over this. Wow. It has depth and emotion and is true to history and to the characters. Such nuanced, layered, meaningful writing. E83talus, I agree, this is the type of storyline I was hoping for back in January. Genius move to bring Samantha (and 'old John') into the picture, and I love how that leads to J&M's moving closer together even as who they are now. This is like a dream come true, lol. (Except hope the writing stays this good and we don't have to wake up. Posted Image )

Jonatha

Here's a blurb from SOD, summarized interview with Drake Hogestyn:

John has an hallucination of his own:

First up? Young Stefano. 'In John's mind, it's a trick by Stefano, until the kid draws him in and says that Colleen ruined his father's life. John tries to explain that it was Santo's fault, not Colleen's." Next comes Santo." Santo says, 'You need Marlena,' and John says, 'No, I don't need her.' And then you hear a voice saying, 'No, you're wrong, pal. And that's a fact.' Yup, visitor number three is old John. "They bring in the heavy artillery," previews the actor. "Old John is there to inform new John that he's not down with the way he's been running their lives and that it's not too late to make changes."

"Some of the things that old John says take root and when new John goes to see Marlena in the aftermath, he realizes that this epiphany he had is going to cause him to re-evaluate the relationship that everybody has been telling him about, but he's never experienced himself," notes Hogestyn. "He has accepted a new mission, where failure is not a option, and that is to operate under a platform that Stefano has made Marlena a target and now that makes John care about her, and by extension, everyone who is important to her."

This marks a major step in the John/Marlena saga. "It's a big turning point, " nods Hogestyn. "I'm sure there will be a large section of the audience that will be cheering in front of the TV set."

But Marlena's response will be very surprising...

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Sounds pretty good. Thanks Jonny!

esp13
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Aug 14 2008, 09:07 AM
"Some of the things that old John says take root and when new John goes to see Marlena in the aftermath, he realizes that this epiphany he had is going to cause him to re-evaluate the relationship that everybody has been telling him about, but he's never experienced himself," notes Hogestyn. "He has accepted a new mission, where failure is not a option, and that is to operate under a platform that Stefano has made Marlena a target and now that makes John care about her, and by extension, everyone who is important to her."

Drake's take on the change in John is very interesting because it dovetails with a major vibe I was getting from today's show in the conversation between John and Tony about Marlena -- that his renewed interest in Marlena is less about HIS feelings for Marlena and more about Stefano's feelings for Marlena.

Not that it will stay that way, of course. But, it's an interesting twist to have Stefano be the one that pushes John back to Marlena, at least initially.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Hmmm sounds, dare I say, interesting lmao ;)

Ellie

esp13
Aug 14 2008, 09:19 AM
Not that it will stay that way, of course. But, it's an interesting twist to have Stefano be the one that pushes John back to Marlena, at least initially.
Isn't it? I mean, I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the shift in the story to when (I hope) John's feelings for Marlena begin coming from within himself, but this is also so interesting. Stefano has always tried to keep J&M apart, and he's never recovered from the fact that 'his pawn stole his queen'. (Awwww.) So if the writers can bring out the fact that Stefano has failed once again in that regard, it will add even another layer to the story and to the complex relationship between the three of them.

didi

I dont want any surprises ....I JUST WANT JM LOVE STORY!!!! AND THAT'S A FACT!!!!

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Aug 14 2008, 09:07 AM
Here's a blurb from SOD, summarized interview with Drake Hogestyn:

John has an hallucination of his own:

First up? Young Stefano. 'In John's mind, it's a trick by Stefano, until the kid draws him in and says that Colleen ruined his father's life. John tries to explain that it was Santo's fault, not Colleen's." Next comes Santo." Santo says, 'You need Marlena,' and John says, 'No, I don't need her.' And then you hear a voice saying, 'No, you're wrong, pal. And that's a fact.' Yup, visitor number three is old John. "They bring in the heavy artillery," previews the actor. "Old John is there to inform new John that he's not down with the way he's been running their lives and that it's not too late to make changes."

This marks a major step in the John/Marlena saga. "It's a big turning point, " nods Hogestyn. "I'm sure there will be a large section of the audience that will be cheering in front of the TV set."

But Marlena's response will be very surprising...

''Thats a fact'',OMG,I have waited 10 months to hear those words again,well on new episodes anyways,wow that made me cry,wow August is looking great,this is the happiest I have been in 10 months,FINALLY,thanks Drake for the great interview ;) .

Tammy
Member Avatar

Okay who wants to take bets on whether or not we will see "The Eyebrow" from old John lmao :P

I want to see it... I kinda miss it. Ahhh its the small things I miss the most lmao :D

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 14 2008, 09:23 AM
esp13
Aug 14 2008, 09:19 AM
Isn't it? I mean, I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the shift in the story to when (I hope) John's feelings for Marlena begin coming from within himself, but this is also so interesting. Stefano has always tried to keep J&M apart, and he's never recovered from the fact that 'his pawn stole his queen'. (Awwww.) So if the writers can bring out the fact that Stefano has failed once again in that regard, it will add even another layer to the story and to the complex relationship between the three of them.
I think it is an interesting twist because pretty much everybody has had a go at telling John how Marlena was the great love of his life and how much he loved her and how wonderful he was and they were together and, while it's not like John has never been affected by that, he's still pretty much just pushed it away. But, then Tony (in today's US episode) is talking about John and Marlena but his focus is really on how ticked off Stefano was that John fell in love with Marlena (and vice versa) and how much that drove Stefano's continued obsession with Marlena and with returning John to his pawn status. And that's what seems to finally attract John's interest. It was like I could hear John thinking "so, if I get back together with Blondie, that will really drive Stefano crazy. Interesting."

And if that is what drives John to tell Marlena he wants to make a go of their marriage (which seems to be what Drake is hinting at in his interview) then it's a very interesting twist, particularly if Marlena is now not so willing to just take him back because he says so.

As I said, I'm sure that there will be a gradual shift as John's feelings become more real, but this is a good way of bridging the gap between unfeeling, uncaring John and a John that acknowledges real feelings for Marlena.

Ellie

esp13
Aug 14 2008, 09:48 AM
I think it is an interesting twist because pretty much everybody has had a go at telling John how Marlena was the great love of his life and how much he loved her and how wonderful he was and they were together and, while it's not like John has never been affected by that, he's still pretty much just pushed it away. But, then Tony (in today's US episode) is talking about John and Marlena but his focus is really on how ticked off Stefano was that John fell in love with Marlena (and vice versa) and how much that drove Stefano's continued obsession with Marlena and with returning John to his pawn status. And that's what seems to finally attract John's interest. It was like I could hear John thinking "so, if I get back together with Blondie, that will really drive Stefano crazy. Interesting."

And if that is what drives John to tell Marlena he wants to make a go of their marriage (which seems to be what Drake is hinting at in his interview) then it's a very interesting twist, particularly if Marlena is now not so willing to just take him back because he says so.

As I said, I'm sure that there will be a gradual shift as John's feelings become more real, but this is a good way of bridging the gap between unfeeling, uncaring John and a John that acknowledges real feelings for Marlena.
True, all good points! I like how you put it about "bridging the gap". It's an interesting writing choice - I would have preferred that they'd stayed with the direction they went with in the spring, where Marlena was the one who could bring out 'new John's' emotions, and John acknowledged that and fell for her in the process. But given that they seem to have extended the story (to say the least) and brought Stefano back on the scene, I think that if this is written well, as you're saying, it could really be a very interesting twist.

Can't wait to watch the Tony/John scene you mention. Stefano was obsessed with Marlena even before John came on the scene, but when J&M fell in love, that infuriated Stefano beyond belief. Aside from the fact that as we're discussing, they're using that to drive the current story, I'm so happy that they're even mentioning it in the first place. Let's just say that it's MUCH more true to history than Santo and Colleen, lol. This is the type of writing (imo) that should be taking place for all the characters... stories which acknowledge and build on their rich history together.

daysfan
Member Avatar

SAM!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Old John vs.NuJohn aka RoboJerk,this should be interesting.

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 14 2008, 10:53 AM
True, all good points! I like how you put it about "bridging the gap". It's an interesting writing choice - I would have preferred that they'd stayed with the direction they went with in the spring, where Marlena was the one who could bring out 'new John's' emotions, and John acknowledged that and fell for her in the process. But given that they seem to have extended the story (to say the least) and brought Stefano back on the scene, I think that if this is written well, as you're saying, it could really be a very interesting twist.

Can't wait to watch the Tony/John scene you mention. Stefano was obsessed with Marlena even before John came on the scene, but when J&M fell in love, that infuriated Stefano beyond belief. Aside from the fact that as we're discussing, they're using that to drive the current story, I'm so happy that they're even mentioning it in the first place. Let's just say that it's MUCH more true to history than Santo and Colleen, lol. This is the type of writing (imo) that should be taking place for all the characters... stories which acknowledge and build on their rich history together.
Well, I think that if they had not dragged out the story in the manner that they did, then just have Marlena be the only that could bring out John's emotions would have worked just fine. But having made the story choice that they did, it wouldn't make sense to me that John would suddenly have a change of heart and suddenly decide the can't live without Marlena (I'm sure it could be easily fanwanked by J&M fans, but I'm sort of looking at this as a more "neutral" observer I guess) without some kind of catalyst. And, I like the idea that the catalyst is as much a desire to bug Stefano as it is anything else (i.e. the visits from Santo and OldJohn). Because that's a motivation that fits with who NuJohn is right now. And then it allows J&M's relationship to change him further, if that makes any sense.

As for the use of history, I agree. Although I do have to mention that in the course of watching the original Benjy storyline for S&K from 1988, I've seen the reappearance of Stefano in that story. And, in light of all that has happened over the last year, it's very interesting to me that even in 1988, the writers made it clear that Stefano had a grudge/vendetta against the whole Brady family. It was conveyed quite clearly through the dialogue and storyline. So, while I won't disagree that Stefano's obsession with Marlena is probably more true to history than the Santo/Colleen ridiculousness, the idea that Stefano had a vendetta against the entire Brady family for reasons not totally known isn't something that they made up in 2007. It's very present in 1988 as well.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply