Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: GH up in HH, Sets new low in 18-34; AMC/OLTL Up in Demos
Topic Started: Aug 14 2008, 11:36 AM (1,516 Views)
squee
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 15 2008, 09:35 AM
If prime-time promotion and Stefano's return can't do it, I don't know what can.

I don't know why anyone thought Stefano returning would raise the ratings. The ratings and demos fell last year too for week of his "big return". I think the first day of his much-hyped return last year was on a Wednesday; the week started on that Monday with a 2.3 and by Friday it was at 1.9
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Kyrai
Aug 15 2008, 07:19 AM
cjknick
Aug 15 2008, 06:02 AM
WTH - Thurs was Days worst Day and it was the Day Bo and Hope renewed their wedding vows ... Wow I am shocked!
While I love Bo and Hope, I really could've cared less about them renewing their vows. I actually didn't watch.

I did watch the rest of the week though.
Well there WAS a bit of overkill with the Hope/ Bo 1000th wedding and flashbacks! It was fascinating though to see and HEAR the difference in KA! And it was nice to see so many vets gathered for the event! I was MORE surprised that the Stefano/Marlena /John/Dimera family stuff which was shown in the same episode didn't draw viewers! And I was sad to see Ava go! I thought Tamara Braun was fantastic even in her early, drawn out hostage storyline! I REALLY enjoyed her "thing" with John and her friendship with Nicole! There are times when the ratings just make no sense to me! Lynn Latham's ABYSSMAL "vision" for Y&R continued to bring in good ratings even with a show which stopped making sense! When it began to resemble the Y&R of old, it began to sink! DAYS has had good ratings through some horrible writing! When the show is really coming together, viewers turn away! Of course so much of what is "good" is subjective! I really DID think DAYS's ratings would improve for what I see as an improved product!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

squee
Aug 15 2008, 12:12 PM
brimike
Aug 15 2008, 09:35 AM
If prime-time promotion and Stefano's return can't do it, I don't know what can.

I don't know why anyone thought Stefano returning would raise the ratings. The ratings and demos fell last year too for week of his "big return". I think the first day of his much-hyped return last year was on a Wednesday; the week started on that Monday with a 2.3 and by Friday it was at 1.9
I had tuned out before they brought him back last time since so much of what I was seeing at that point was lousy IMO! I thought the WAY they brought the "Phoenix" back this time was great as far as the family interaction and John's plans to dispatch his half-sibling! Since I missed the prime-time promos, I had no idea just how disappointing the ratings would be in combination with the old school location filming and Stefano's return! I thought the return was much more "gothic" this time than Sci-fi/ Reillyesque crap which could have been what many viewers were expecting when they heard the name "Stefano"! Then again, the show was doing pretty well for a lot of the Reilly stuff! :shrug:

brimike

You know what I think? I think MOST fans (not all, as is evidenced on soap message boards everywhere) outgrew Reilly's Days. And the youth now just think it's silly and stupid. I think MOST of the veteran-fans are long gone.

I'm not saying anything negative about Days fans. But I think trying to find what's going to set Days apart from the rest of the soaps on the air right now, when they're stranded on their own with no daytime line-up surrounding them, is going to be pretty difficult. I know many fans who grew up on Reilly's Days. Some of them still watch... but most of them got married, built careers, had kids, and don't have time for Days anymore. Not Reilly's Days at least. They're way too busy.

The show keeps going back to the same well, and soapfans now just arne't buying the old tricks of brainwashing, purple gas, Stefano, etc. The ones who are remaining on ANY soap are just looking not to be talked down to for an hour.

We praise Days for feeling like it's 1994 again, but let's face it - a lot of people tune back in and then tune back OUT for the same reason. They don't want to see 1994 again on a daily basis. It just seems outdated.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

King
Member Avatar

Stefano has returned at least 25 times. I didn't really think that would do anything for the ratings.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 15 2008, 01:28 PM
You know what I think? I think MOST fans (not all, as is evidenced on soap message boards everywhere) outgrew Reilly's Days. And the youth now just think it's silly and stupid. I think MOST of the veteran-fans are long gone.

I'm not saying anything negative about Days fans. But I think trying to find what's going to set Days apart from the rest of the soaps on the air right now, when they're stranded on their own with no daytime line-up surrounding them, is going to be pretty difficult. I know many fans who grew up on Reilly's Days. Some of them still watch... but most of them got married, built careers, had kids, and don't have time for Days anymore. Not Reilly's Days at least. They're way too busy.

The show keeps going back to the same well, and soapfans now just arne't buying the old tricks of brainwashing, purple gas, Stefano, etc. The ones who are remaining on ANY soap are just looking not to be talked down to for an hour.

We praise Days for feeling like it's 1994 again, but let's face it - a lot of people tune back in and then tune back OUT for the same reason. They don't want to see 1994 again on a daily basis. It just seems outdated.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
You know I was a bit surprised that there wasn't more viewer attention even if, as King said, Stefano has "returned" 25 times! I think it was the WAY the latest return was presented that I enjoyed! But unless someone WATCHED the return, they wouldn't have any reason to EXPECT a difference! I've been willing to suspend disbelief with the whole "brainwashed" thing because John Dimera is a hell of a lot more entertaining in my opinion than John Black has been for a long time! But when I read about Purple Gas and Hospital Lockdowns, I have to agree with those who say it sounds like the same old same old! I think James Reilly had his moments and he managed to keep DAYS entertaining for a very long time even with the sci-fi stuff of which I'm not a fan! But if DAYS is going to go back to the 1990's stylistically, then they may as well re-hire Reilly to do it right! I was hoping that even WITH Stefano's return, we would be seeing a DAYS more grounded in "reality", for lack of a better term when writing about a soap!

daisysmommy

Let's wait and see.
Did they promo the return in prime, or was all ntwk/affiliate tease a Bope-fiesta?

Also, the whole J&M was not in any gear at all-- so not fair to say the Steph/Jawn/Mar + Tanna, etc stuff won't bump the ratings.

Some of the embittered loyalists who just tuned out may not have known exact timing. Who does a big return on the first Tues in August. Even Elijiah knows better than that!

cjknick
Member Avatar

daisysmommy
Aug 15 2008, 04:58 PM
Let's wait and see.
Did they promo the return in prime, or was all ntwk/affiliate tease a Bope-fiesta?

Also, the whole J&M was not in any gear at all-- so not fair to say the Steph/Jawn/Mar + Tanna, etc stuff won't bump the ratings.

Some of the embittered loyalists who just tuned out may not have known exact timing. Who does a big return on the first Tues in August. Even Elijiah knows better than that!
They did promote the Bope renewal in Primetime I saw the promo many times .... it was the carriage ride! Last week they got rid of Ava and John moved into Marlena orbit! Stefano providing he angst for John to Save Marlena! So last week we had Bope, Tanna and the starting of John and Marlena, Stefano's return, some of Morgan and Phillip and Max, Melanie and Stephanie. So we had alot of vets, some younger stuff .... and the ratings still tanking ....

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As King said Stefano has returned so many times that the majority of fans just don't care. It is just like returns from the dead and deaths now - people don't care anymore. You can't fools fans over and over and over again and expect them to bite each time. For most fans the Stefano stuff is just bland now and that ship has sailed long ago. The impact of Stefano just is not there anymore - they don't care.

Fans love vets but for some the love affair ends after awhile esp. when the character is ruined. Stefano has seen his character change so much over the years that for the most part fans don't know what to expect of him anymore and except to his die hard fans the mystique of his character is gone. He just doesn't have that many fans anymore - in the overall scheme of things.

Gregorzick

Joe Mascolo made a bad career move going from B&B back to DAYS. Stefano's ship sailed a long time ago!!! It's over and done. Stick a fork in it already!!!!

Mason
Member Avatar

I love Stefano. Always have and probably always will, even with everything his character's been put through. But I'm not surprised his returns aren't doing squat for the ratings. I would imagine some viewers didn't even realize he was gone in the first place.

hops
Member Avatar

Ratings don't go up overnight. The only way they can go up, is with consistent character driven writing over a period of time. They made more then a few mistakes this year. Maybe they are trying to correct them, I don't know. It's hard to tell in only one week. The ratings have been going steadily down for months now. They have to engage the general fans or attract new fans, but so far they were only able to do that for a short time during the strike. And the ratings are really no better accept for Y&R, right across the board. The other shows don't seem to have the answer anymore then Days does.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I agree to a certain extent what you said Hops and overall ratings gains are true. But in the current format and climate of soaps this new breed of soap opera fans are attracted by the stunts like Bo & Hope's wedding and Stefano's return. Just look at this year the shows that got ratings bumps: Days in Feb with the Shirley Jones appearance and the plane crash; AMC with Jesse & Angie's wedding & stuff around it; Y&R the last few weeks with the crash; etc.

Those little stunts did get weekly bumps and daily bumps. They were heavily promoted and briefly raised the ratings before they all went back to the norm. Days stunts kept them up a little longer than the others back in Feb., but they eventually fell off too.

Today's soap fans aren't really interested in the long haul; these little stunts and stuff are what draw them in. I am one of the few that believe the daytime audience basically stays the same now, and when these shows get these little bumps it is part of that audience just bouncing to that show for awhile. After the little stunt is over, they bounce back to the next stunt or the show they were watching before.

I agree with you that long term ratings gains require consistent writing and balance. But with the current climate of daytime with the stuff Days put out last week and the fact that they promoted it as well as they did, they should have seen a gain - a small one but a gain none the less. They ddin't get it.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Days last chance to save the show was last spring. They had a good thing going. Ratings were up and stabilized and beginning to go up again. The show was about family, relationships and love.

Then the show decided to go back to all the same old crap that did not work in 2007 and drove the show to all-time low ratings. And now they are shaking their heads and asking why ratings are down.

If you don't learn from your mistakes, you are bound to repeat them. Days asks too much of their audience time and again so it is no surprise they have lost so many viewers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The numbers are what they are. They will just keep going down with little bumps here and there.

It's sad but I don't even care to see the ratings. As King said, if the networks don't care, why should I? Hell, I haven't cared much for them in recent years anyway. They never measured quality well to begin with.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

"measure quality well to begin with"

Ratings have never measured quality. Ratings are more about what people enjoy watching and what they are willing to watch. It is more popularity than anything.

ATWT managed to get #1 in the ratings consistently in the 70's still when even during part of the 70's their quality wasn't that great.

It is the same with movies. Many movies that are poor in quality will garner high box office sales (which is their ratings), but quality movies will not.

I just have never figures why people even equate ratings and quality in the same argument - because they just do not go hand in hand. Ratings were never designed to measure quality - they were designed to measure what is popular and what people are willing to watch.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply