Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ed Scott Fired! Gary Tomlin In!; daytimeconfidential.com exclusive
Topic Started: Aug 16 2008, 12:07 AM (10,770 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

leela46
Aug 16 2008, 08:15 PM
Corday could have Shakespeare, Hemingway, and Dickens on the writing staff and he would still manage to screw things up.
LoL, so true!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

leelee
Member Avatar

Does anyone think that this is what could be holding up the renewel news or made NBC change it's mind?

Mason
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 16 2008, 08:18 PM
Higley could still be out, Corday might wait until her contract cycle is up to get rid of her.
Oh, how I wish I could believe that. But for some reason or other, Corday seems to be in some sort of love affair with Higley. God only knows why. I seriously doubt she gives that great of head...

Mason
Member Avatar

tululabell
Aug 16 2008, 08:22 PM
Does anyone think that this is what could be holding up the renewel news or made NBC change it's mind?
I wouldn't be surprised if NBC just decided it wasn't worth all this shit and decided to pull the plug.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Mason
I seriously doubt she gives that great of head...
ROFL!!
Edited by Rakesh198, Aug 16 2008, 08:24 PM.

koos

See, ES might've cared about the quality and production, but with no breakdown writers, multiple lousy headwriters, and KFC, who could tell? Frankly I didn't see a huge difference between Hogan's spring/summer '07 work and Dena's (or Ed's) spring/summer work. Both had decent weeks/episodes (John's death, Marlena getting her guts back, Colleen's death/Shawn's death, Marlena's revenge), but both also had horrible, trite, repetitive shit.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

and/or putting teens with bad Southern accents on the front burner for months ad nauseum while the show's iconic supercouples pour coffee and give advice on who their SORAS'ed children should or should not screw.

Amen to that.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

No comment. :huh:

Anyway......I guess we'll do what we've done before....wait and see.

Days4Life

Dena Higley is like a cockroach...DAYS will be canceled, the sets will be struck, the actors will be gone...and scurrying out of the woodwork, will be Dena with a smug smile, typing out her self-serving blog, saying "I WON!"

I hope the WGA finds the dirt on her from the strike and no one ever lets her write again. I believe Ed Scott did what he did to help save DAYS...Dena Higley seems determined to destroy it. If he deserves to be punished by losing his job, she deserves it ten times over.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Okay I am curious about something lol. If Ed's contract was up this month, how does this fall under the category of firing him? I bet ya any money that tptb will say, "Ed wasn't "fired" we just decided not to renew his contract". :P

You know with all the drama, it makes me wonder, who would seriously WANT to write for this show?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Tammy
Aug 16 2008, 09:44 PM
You know with all the drama, it makes me wonder, who would seriously WANT to write for this show?
It's pathetic to think that not even JER wants to touch this show.

Mason
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Aug 16 2008, 09:43 PM
I believe Ed Scott did what he did to help save DAYS...Dena Higley seems determined to destroy it. If he deserves to be punished by losing his job, she deserves it ten times over.
I know. It's totally fucked up, if you ask me.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Aug 16 2008, 09:48 PM
Tammy
And you would think that that would tell Corday something.

But no...

daisysmommy

Mason
Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 16 2008, 08:18 PM
Higley could still be out, Corday might wait until her contract cycle is up to get rid of her.
Oh, how I wish I could believe that. But for some reason or other, Corday seems to be in some sort of love affair with Higley. God only knows why. I seriously doubt she gives that great of head...
Questions--

--Who knows if DOOL still makes $$? Vs genre? Vs YAG? {Imma bet they do v tested competition of specific talk shows, etc-- given the 'secret' renewal}

-- Who knows if this capability went meaningfully up/down/stayed same during Cor-Hig tenure? [Not opinion. ad rates-- I think they went down AND they went down in key demos-- which were one and same but could have been different? When did trajectory start?)

-- Who REALLY messed up, effectively banishing vets AND feeding their egos offstage so that they addressed fans/interviews in a way that only came off as 'addled'?

-- Finally-- who decided on writing what for whom re theme and practice of summer 08, ie summer of yuck in elevators, roftops, granny sex, who the frig are you characters...etc...
-- What I mean to ask is who advocated for which couples to get airtime and certain themes--esp Stax, Chan Jarlena, Bope, Payla, Morgan, etc. And autism. That coulda been forced.

There's your answer re who CORDAY stood by-- he has maj ownership, no? He's may be a dipshit, but these are easy analyses...There's also your answer, likely, on where NBC put the pressure screws.
And why they may not have been promo-ing the hell outta the show during olympics (bargaining chit). Whomever is REALLY responsible for Stax, Chan, vet-free, 4-set, raandom loc summer, with promos that confused the internal dept-- that's who got the big ole pinkity slip. JMHO.

Ellie

I just read through this whole thread. Wow. I really think this is the worst thing possible that could have happened to Days at this point. Not Tomlin specifically, but Higley's staying on and Scott's being fired.

As to those who are saying that Tomlin and Higley will work better together than Scott and Higley did, that is likely true. I've been trying to come up with an analogy for this, though. Let's say there's a teacher at a certain school who's not doing a very good job. Let's say that one by one, the parent of each student in that class calls the principal to complain about the teacher. So, the principal gathers the evidence and has an acrimonious meeting with the teacher. After this, the principal goes to the superintendant asking for permission to fire the teacher. The superintendant decides that what he values is his staff's being able to work together, so he fires the principal and keeps the teacher. Huh? That's really how I see this situation. Maybe Tomlin will be able to work with Higley (I wish him luck!), but who he'll be working with is an inept writer who may very well not be liked by others involved with the show. I think the show really may have committed suicide with this move.

sungrey

Mason
Aug 16 2008, 09:50 PM
Kenny
Tammy

But no...
Don't give NBC any ideas, please. Forward, not backward. :shame:

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

sungrey
Aug 17 2008, 12:12 AM
Mason
Aug 16 2008, 09:50 PM
Kenny
Tammy

But no...
Don't give NBC any ideas, please. Forward, not backward. :shame:
Well, JER was an Executive Story Consultant on SuBe when Tomlin was EP and Tomlin did direct JER's stories on Passions. ;) :P

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Anyway, where is Nelson's update?!?! I thought he was going to update the SUDS Report on Saturday. We're all dying to know who else got fired and the details regarding the Scott firing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't think this will affect the renewal. I think what Ed said is true and that is more or less about money. It's not like Days has never dealt with controversy behind the scenes. Hell, this past winter it had the WGA issue and NBC was still willing to renew it. It's just about the money. As King has been saying, it seems the networks no longer care as much about ratings. Who knows what matters now. My feeling is that NBC views Days as a promotional vehicle to promote causes important to them and other NBC programs. I think that is why we got the Green movement stuff and now the Autism stuff. I suspect the budget will just keep being slashed or re-organized in an effort to keep the show going.

I can't blame writers for steering clear of the show. Seriously, between Corday/NBC/rabid fanbases/Sony...it's not even worth it. Hell, former writers who've worked there know how it is. Maybe some from a few years back would return because it may not have been as bad then but they may have heard things so they may even shy away. No matter who writers, produces, etc...the problem is still there...Mr. Ken Corday.

Whatever the case, Days is just a mess behind the scenes and it's a shame because it's overshadowing what has been a good two weeks for the show and, having watched Monday's episode, it looks like next week will be just as good. By the way, Monday's episode is full of Scott's influence. You can just feel it. I guess you can say it's Maxam (who directs the episode) but still. Monday is just a marvel from a production standpoint and the material itself really is good.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 17 2008, 01:41 AM.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Aug 17 2008, 01:39 AM
I don't think this will affect the renewal. I think what Ed said is true and that is more or less about money. It's not like Days has never dealt with controversy behind the scenes. Hell, this past winter it had the WGA issue and NBC was still willing to renew it. It's just about the money. As King has been saying, it seems the networks no longer care as much about ratings. Who knows what matters now. My feeling is that NBC views Days as a promotional vehicle to promote causes important to them and other NBC programs. I think that is why we got the Green movement stuff and now the Autism stuff. I suspect the budget will just keep being slashed or re-organized in an effort to keep the show going.

I can't blame writers for steering clear of the show. Seriously, between Corday/NBC/rabid fanbases/Sony...it's not even worth it. Hell, former writers who've worked there know how it is. Maybe some from a few years back would return because it may not have been as bad then but they may have heard things so they may even shy away. No matter who writers, produces, etc...the problem is still there...Mr. Ken Corday.

Whatever the case, Days is just a mess behind the scenes and it's a shame because it's overshadowing what has been a good two weeks for the show and, having watched Monday's episode, it looks like next week will be just as good. By the way, Monday's episode is full of Scott's influence. You can just feel it. I guess you can say it's Maxam (who directs the episode) but still. Monday is just a marvel from a production standpoint and the material itself really is good.
Well, I read elsewhere the fantasy stuff was Cordayīs idea or he atleast really loved it and thatīs why he released some money for it. They created (or remodeled) a lots of sets just for this two episode sequency and hired clothes and everything, and thatīs something IMO Corday has to allow.

As for NBC, they will not cancel DAYS because they donīt have anything to replace it with. Itīs not like the rest of daytime genres is flourishing. And DAYS is not really doing so bad, resp. the differences between all the shows except Y/R are so small, I doubt advertisers even care and itīs more statistical discrepancy than anything. The number of people with Nielsen box is too small to represent daytime accurately anymore, because letīs say 100 Nielsen viewers represents an entire daytime audience.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply