Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ed Scott Fired! Gary Tomlin In!; daytimeconfidential.com exclusive
Topic Started: Aug 16 2008, 12:07 AM (10,615 Views)
Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 17 2008, 01:39 AM
By the way, Monday's episode is full of Scott's influence. You can just feel it. I guess you can say it's Maxam (who directs the episode) but still.
Well, who brought him to the show? It's a team effort, and I'm sure Ed Scott was the team leader in every respect.

I still just can't get over this. Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Aug 17 2008, 02:04 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 17 2008, 01:39 AM
By the way, Monday's episode is full of Scott's influence. You can just feel it. I guess you can say it's Maxam (who directs the episode) but still.
Well, who brought him to the show? It's a team effort, and I'm sure Ed Scott was the team leader in every respect.

I still just can't get over this. Posted Image
Exactly. I just hope he stays on, along with the other talent Ed brought.

I agree with Jane about the Nielson's. I'm beginning to think that is why what King says is true. I remember up to even a year ago, ratings made a difference. You would see some response from a soap whether that meant a big gimmick or a change of writers or something. Now, you see nothing done. I think the networks and shows have realized the system, which has always been flawed anyway, is just past the point of being a decent indicator. I mean, hell, the primetime numbers aren't the same either, especially in the Spring. As I said, it seems they are looking at soaps in a different way now. I have this suspicion that they see soaps as a way to promote other network causes and programs and I also think the networks have nothing else to go on. They know they can only have so many game shows and talk shows and the reality shows are hit or miss so you have to be careful there too.

If NBC sees no point to keeping Days and finds something cheap and effective to replace it with, then it's a goner. I don't see anything like that popping up for at least the next year so I think Days has at least that much left.

Back to Monday's episode, I remember Bryan Dattilo saying it was Corday's idea. This is clearly one of his better ones. It looked great and was so well-done. It was worth everything they put into it. If they put that much effort into all aspects of the show on a consistent basis, it would be flawless. Of course, no show ever is flawless if you really look at every detail :laugh: .
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I don't think Corday is an asshole by any means, he just doesn't know how to do his damn job. Why would actors and actresses return over and over again if Corday was that hard to work and deal with? Corday just seems to make decisions on a dime and doesn't think about the possible consequences or problems that may lie ahead in the future. How I wish I could one day watch DAYS at its fullest potential, somehow someway Corday not being part of the show. It's obvious as long as Corday is there, DAYS will never consistently be good and that royally pisses me off.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Please don't let us loose Kathryn Foster and Noel Maxam...Days really needs to hold onto these two at least...

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Kevc1980
Aug 17 2008, 04:21 AM
Please don't let us loose Kathryn Foster and Noel Maxam...Days really needs to hold onto these two at least...
It depends where their loyalties are. Since Ed brought them there, they might feel a sense of endearment to him. Remember, those directors have only ever worked with Ed Scott, David Shaughnessy, or Jack F. Smith - all of those people are from the old Y&R stalk. They've never worked with Gary Tomlin, who himself is a director.

I don't expect people leaving immediately, but give it some time and they might. They won't have the comfort of working with a creative leader they've known for decades, like they did in Scott.

You better expect that Gary Tomlin is coming in with some production revamping though. He has a keen sense for the way he produces shows, from the filming to the music used. His background as a director may even lead to him brining in directors of his own, where that leaves the people Ed Scott brought in is anyone's guess.

The most interesting situation is that of Noel Maxam's. Not only is he a director, he is also a producer on the show. DAYS is his first job as a producer, and Ed Scott gave him that position. Gary Tomlin could easily replace him as a producer with one of his friends, that's been done on a lot of soaps over the years when a new leader comes in. I think if Maxam leaves or gets fired, it's safe to say the rest of the people Ed Scott brought in will either leave or get fired as well. Remember, most of these people don't come cheap either, and Corday is looking to trim the budget down as best as he can.

I think it will also be interesting to watch what production changes Gary Tomlin will make. Maybe he'll hire some new lower-level producers, bring in some of his director friends, or whatever. Things are going to change from a production standpoint, but it's nothing that the average viewer will probably notice.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Aug 17 2008, 05:09 AM.

jane1978

Did anyone considered the possibility Edīs firing and Tomlinīs hiring is not Higley related at all? I just read some past interviews with GT and he seems to be very much in sync with what a majority of DAYS viewers wants and/or what DAYS/NBC wants. He is saying the 18-49 demos is the most important one, he is saying they (OLTL at the time) arenīt happy with just old viewers staying but want more young viewers watching too. And he is happy he brought more young characters to the show and spread the stories between all generations.

Maybe this is the same case like with Reilly and Corday simply used this overblown scandal as a way to get rid of producer who was forced onto him by Sony. And who knows, NBC might be even blaming Scott for the recent fall in the 18-49 demos. I doubt Corday is at the point where he can do anything he wants without consulting anyone and this change seems to be too prepared and already in motions than just a reaction for some sudden behind the screen war.

Maybe the decision to get rid of Ed was done months ago and they just waited till his contract ends, because IMO from what I read about Tomlin so far he seems to be very much fit for DAYS, especially now when we are returning back to the Dimeras vs. Bradys and other more campy stories. Ed ïs great producer, but he is used to entirely different kind of soap from stories to pacing.

Call me naive and optimist, but maybe this change will not be bad at all at the end.

Edited to put the right producerīs name. Sorry.
Edited by jane1978, Aug 17 2008, 05:36 AM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

jane1978
Aug 17 2008, 05:05 AM
Did anyone considered the possibility Edīs firing and Griffithīs hiring is not Higley related at all? I just read some past interviews with JG and he seems to be very much in sync with what a majority of DAYS viewers wants and/or what DAYS/NBC wants. He is saying the 18-49 demos is the most important one, he is saying they (OLTL at the time) arenīt happy with just old viewers staying but want more young viewers watching too. And he is happy he brought more young characters to the show and spread the stories between all generations.

Maybe this is the same case like with Reilly and Corday simply used this overblown scandal as a way to get rid of producer who was forced onto him by Sony. And who knows, NBC might be even blaming Scott for the recent fall in the 18-49 demos. I doubt Corday is at the point where he can do anything he wants without consulting anyone and this change seems to be too prepared and already in motions than just a reaction for some sudden behind the screen war.

Maybe the decision to get rid of Ed was done months ago and they just waited till his contract ends, because IMO from what I read about Griffith so far he seems to be very much fit for DAYS, especially now when we are returning back to the Dimeras vs. Bradys and other more campy stories. Ed ïs great producer, but he is used to entirely different kind of soap from stories to pacing.

Call me naive and optimist, but maybe this change will not be bad at all at the end.
You mean Gary Tomlin, not Griffith. :laugh:

And truthfully, Tomlin is a very good fit for DAYS, at least on the surface. I think he'll understand DAYS' special brand of camp better than anyone else. He knows how to produce relationship drama, big stunts, special one-off episodes, and location shooting. He's a competent producer, but he's not as traditional as Ed Scott. Tomlin is more of an "innovator" when it comes to his vision and production sense.

However, I seriously doubt things will improve that much with Dena Higley still there. The goal is to get her out of there and find a suitable replacement. Nice production values are good, but if the writing sucks, who the hell wants to tune in to just watch nice camera angles and sets? Not most soap fans, I would guess.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 17 2008, 05:16 AM
And truthfully, Tomlin is a very good fit for DAYS, at least on the surface. I think he'll understand DAYS' special brand of camp better than anyone else. He knows how to produce relationship drama, big stunts, special one-off episodes, and location shooting. He's a competent producer, but he's not as traditional as Ed Scott. Tomlin is more of an "innovator" when it comes to his vision and production sense.

However, I seriously doubt things will improve that much with Dena Higley still there. The goal is to get her out of there and find a suitable replacement. Nice production values are good, but if the writing sucks, who the hell wants to tune in to just watch nice camera angles and sets? Not most soap fans, I would guess.
I'm in complete agreement with you.

I can see Tomlin being a great fit at Days, but really... Higley's ass has got to go before anything's going to get better. That's really the bottom line.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As I have read and talked to others in the last few weeks, the Cordays are loved by people on the set, but they tend to make decisions quickly - well at least Betty Corday and her son, Ken did. Ted never got to be producer long enough I guess, plus he had his co-creators Allan Chase and Irna Phillips still heavily involved in his time with the show.

I know from some other sources and then some reading that Days has gone through so much backstage controversy over the years - probably more than any show in daytime history - at least legal controversy anyway.

All the way back to the 70's, first when William J. Bell and Betty Corday went to court - still not sure what all that was about. It ended up with Betty Corday getting part ownership of Y&R.

Then with the legal problems with Pat Falken Smith - not once but twice - when Corday fired her both times. She allowed Smith's replacements to use outlines and stuff that Smith had created and Smith carried her to court both times.

I know that the Hayes' evidently are still close to the Days family, but I have to wonder how the feathers that got ruffled back in 1984 with them ever got evened out - if they did. I know both Bill and Susan were very vocal about their firings to Soap Opera Digest. Betty Corday and Al Rabin were the execs at that time and they didn't even speak out on the firings - only Ken did. Bill and Susan did not like the directions of their characters at all and just reading between the lines I think that led to the firings - but also it was an age thing.

Here are a few details from that exit interview in Oct. 1984:

The last appearance for both was in mid March. Their contract at the time was for two guaranteed appearances and was due to expire April 85. NBC, Columbia and Corday Productions had the option to terminate sooner.They contacted the Hayes and said they wanted to renegotiate - giving them half the number of appearances and pay and no guarantee of a storyline. They felt that since 1980 they hadn't been given much on the show and that it was at it's worst when Hope was introduced played by Kristian Alfonso. They felt Doug & Julie were written as "the heavies of the Western world" becoming unpleasant to push Hope as the heroine. They discussed it with producers and writers. It was especially hard on Bill as he had raised 5 children and felt it was not in keeping with character. They stopped worrying about it and when it came to negotiations and they were offered more out time and vacation time, but their big request was for a story. They were told that there was very little chance of D&J ever having a story again.

Ken Corday is quoted;

"Basically,what happened with the upsurge of GH four years ago was, and I think it went hand in hand with the fact that more young people were watching in college and high school, that the producers got wise to it and started telling much younger stories. ABC was the first to get on the bandwagon with GH and AMC followed suit. We, in the last two and a half years, have really re-adjusted our storylines and brought in characters under 20. It's proven to be a great success to tell the young storylines as well as the storylines for those over 20, 30 etc."

He maintains that Doug & Julie's appearances were just as regular but the focus changed, becoming the focal touchstone for younger characters and taking on the matriach/patriach role, but they were not happy with that. He said the expansion of the show from 25-30 players, doing faster paced shows and 3 or 4 stories a week meant that their high guarantee wasn't feasible any longer.

Susan was very wise in what she said. I love her for it and it has so turned out to be true. She said that TV always imitates success but wonders if it will attract long term loyalty, as young viewers get jobs etc and are not steady viewers. What about the steady viewer who is more settled - not 8 years old but maybe 25? This is more the backbone of the show, she stated. She goes on to say that constantly creating a new hot couple means audiences end up with no-one to root for.

They talk about how much the show has meant to them and don't rule out a return if offered a 'good story'

Ken Corday said that the door is always open to return and right now they are testing the waters to see how Salem floats without them. There might come a time when either party might instigate a return.

I have always wondered why Rabin or Betty Corday who were the Execs at this time never went on record about the firings.

I agree with Tim that Days has always been the subject of controversy. The only thing that is different is that back then Days had the budget, the ratings, and still generally a good and respected reputation (not the producers and the like but the show itself had a reputation for quality). Today those things are just not there. Ratings are down for all of daytime. Ad revenues are not there. Days fans are too rabid and fickle. And sadly Days just has not had a good reputation for quality since JER was there the first time - not nescessarily quality but they have been more the joke of the industry since then and not taken seriously as they once were. All that and repeated controversies will make it harder for any network to want to pick it up at this point when NBC finally says they are done with it.

And I agree with others who say that Ken Corday is not the smartest businessman but you hear more and more of the cast who talk about him and even after he fires them or has problems with many of them they always want to come back.

FanODays

Kenny
Aug 17 2008, 05:20 AM
Y&RWorldTurner
Aug 17 2008, 05:16 AM

I'm in complete agreement with you.

I can see Tomlin being a great fit at Days, but really... Higley's ass has got to go before anything's going to get better. That's really the bottom line.
Higley isn't even the problem its Cofday. Until he is gone there is no hope for true and substantial change because he's the one constant through the years of turmoil and declining ratings. However, I doubt you will find anyone from the show who will say a bad thing about him because by doing so, it would be like signing your own unemployment check.

I do think that this is what Higley wanted from the beginning, Scott gone. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who likes to be questioned or criticized even if the outcome may mean an improved product. It wasn't until this though that I started wondering if Corday was in on the whole scandal from the start as a way to push NBC and Siony to let him get rid of Scott.

IMO, its too late. Within a period of less than 10 years Days has lost half uts viewers and even big events like Stefano's return and Bope reviewing their vows can get Days even a temporary bump in the numbers so I don't care if Scott, Tomlin or my grandmother are producers, it won't matter one bit.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I know that Corday's the base problem, but that doesn't change the fact that Higley's still shiteous with or without Corday. Look no further than her OLTL reign for proof. There's too much shit she pens that's just signature of her hand, and when you see it, there's no mistake as to who wrote it and why it's so bad.

FanODays

Kenny
Aug 17 2008, 06:57 AM
I know that Corday's the base problem, but that doesn't change the fact that Higley's still shiteous with or without Corday. Look no further than her OLTL reign for proof. There's too much shit she pens that's just signature of her hand, and when you see it, there's no mistake as to who wrote it and why it's so bad.
But when Sheffer, whose has won mulitiple emmys, took over as HW people were giddy they were so happy, but what happens? The show sucked. We heard bits and pieces of how HS could not tell the stories he wanted to or use the people he wanted to with the implication beting that Corday interfered. So if that is true then it wouldn't matter if Shari Anderson, whom so many are clammoring to have back is writing because Corday is going to muck it all up.

daisysmommy

jane1978
Aug 17 2008, 05:05 AM
Did anyone considered the possibility Edīs firing and Tomlinīs hiring is not Higley related at all? I just read some past interviews with GT and he seems to be very much in sync with what a majority of DAYS viewers wants and/or what DAYS/NBC wants. He is saying the 18-49 demos is the most important one, he is saying they (OLTL at the time) arenīt happy with just old viewers staying but want more young viewers watching too. And he is happy he brought more young characters to the show and spread the stories between all generations.

Maybe the decision to get rid of Ed was done months ago and they just waited till his contract ends, because IMO from what I read about Tomlin so far he seems to be very much fit for DAYS, especially now when we are returning back to the Dimeras vs. Bradys and other more campy stories. Ed ïs great producer, but he is used to entirely different kind of soap from stories to pacing.

Edited to put the right producerīs name. Sorry.
I am beginning to think the whole thing was leaked to force Ed out.

Tomlin is interesting. He writes! He directs! He produces! Maybe he'll save Ken some coin.

BTW, for all his yada re the demos on OLTL, he didn't really raise ratings, did he? (Or did he? I thought he was Mr Stunt-- live broadcasts, stand alone epis, etc.)

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I still think even though Ken Corday is not the best businessman in the world that the bigger problem is too much interference from outside sources like NBC and Sony.

Even under Betty Corday and Al Rabin the worst times for Days were when NBC stepped in and demanded changes - specifically in 1980 when NBC was really forcing big changes on it's soaps to be more like GH. Days really changed big time.

People keep talking about Ken being the problem. Ken has run this show alone pretty much since about 1985. Betty didn't die until 1987, but her health was failing by 1985. Ken stepped up to the role working with his mom & Al Rabin until her death and then with Rabin alone until 1992 and then with Langan.

During those years Days was prospering and still very good. NBC was interfering much. Albeit he is the one that brought JER later in the 90's. But he was there pretty much during Sherri Anderson's run in the mid 80's and then all of it in the 1990's.

I mean the man was great during the 90's working with even an inferior producer like Tom Langan who was his co-EP from 1992 to 2002 - much of that was very well balanced and very good for Days.

If Ken was as incompetent as he is made out to be then those years would have been terrible too as you had 2 very incompetent men running things.

I know that there have been some Ken bashers all along, but I never heard the like of it until during Hogan's term especially. I know that he has made some dumb decisions in recent years but he is not the first Exec to do that - even Agnes Nixon has made a few of those herself.

But I think the biggest problem is that there are just too many trying to push their vision on Days and too much interference from NBC and Sony. If they let Ken be the producer he was from 1987 to about 1997 then the show could be great again.

Ed Scott did need to go and I for one am happy that he is gone if he did the things that he is accused of.

ges
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 16 2008, 08:04 PM
Kenny
Aug 16 2008, 07:59 PM
I feel like Dena should just resign. It's not fair that we should lose talented people just because she's such a hack that nobody can get along with her. She's like the bratty child on a playground, throwing rocks at other kids. Dena's the brat. Why should the other kid be punished just because the brat is incapable of playing well with others? She's obviously the issue.
Mmhm. And what really gets me is that she did quit, and Corday, the fool that he is, fed in to her tantrum, and talked her into coming back.
I can't help but wonder if she gave him an ultimatum . I'll shut my mouth about what Ed Scott did to me (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)
but he's got to go. I can't work with him. And I've got alot of evidence which could get this show in big trouble.
I agree with Kenny and other posters. Corday hired her knowing she was a difficult, unpopular, talentless hack. Might I add back-stabber.
I don't think quitting and then dropping leaks to the media about how you have all this evidence of the misdeeds of Mr. Scott is quitting.
It's a power play. and she won. :shame:

cjknick
Member Avatar

I think non-team players should be shown the door. Days at this point can't afford Divas, snitches and selfish agenda's. Corday needs to get his team to play together.....Days can't continue to deal with backstage SHIT! (excuse my french)

daisysmommy

Steve Frame
Aug 17 2008, 08:46 AM
I still think even though Ken Corday is not the best businessman in the world that the bigger problem is too much interference from outside sources like NBC and Sony.

Even under Betty Corday and Al Rabin the worst times for Days were when NBC stepped in and demanded changes - specifically in 1980 when NBC was really forcing big changes on it's soaps to be more like GH. Days really changed big time.

People keep talking about Ken being the problem. Ken has run this show alone pretty much since about 1985. Betty didn't die until 1987, but her health was failing by 1985. Ken stepped up to the role working with his mom & Al Rabin until her death and then with Rabin alone until 1992 and then with Langan.

During those years Days was prospering and still very good. NBC was interfering much. Albeit he is the one that brought JER later in the 90's. But he was there pretty much during Sherri Anderson's run in the mid 80's and then all of it in the 1990's.

I mean the man was great during the 90's working with even an inferior producer like Tom Langan who was his co-EP from 1992 to 2002 - much of that was very well balanced and very good for Days.

If Ken was as incompetent as he is made out to be then those years would have been terrible too as you had 2 very incompetent men running things.

I know that there have been some Ken bashers all along, but I never heard the like of it until during Hogan's term especially. I know that he has made some dumb decisions in recent years but he is not the first Exec to do that - even Agnes Nixon has made a few of those herself.

But I think the biggest problem is that there are just too many trying to push their vision on Days and too much interference from NBC and Sony. If they let Ken be the producer he was from 1987 to about 1997 then the show could be great again.

Ed Scott did need to go and I for one am happy that he is gone if he did the things that he is accused of.
Word!

[And yes, I get this means I may have to 'take back' some of my Hig bashing...though I still think she's out...just who is on first sort o thing....]

daisysmommy

ges
Aug 17 2008, 08:52 AM
Mason
Aug 16 2008, 08:04 PM
Kenny
Aug 16 2008, 07:59 PM
I feel like Dena should just resign. It's not fair that we should lose talented people just because she's such a hack that nobody can get along with her. She's like the bratty child on a playground, throwing rocks at other kids. Dena's the brat. Why should the other kid be punished just because the brat is incapable of playing well with others? She's obviously the issue.
Mmhm. And what really gets me is that she did quit, and Corday, the fool that he is, fed in to her tantrum, and talked her into coming back.
I can't help but wonder if she gave him an ultimatum . I'll shut my mouth about what Ed Scott did to me (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)
but he's got to go. I can't work with him. And I've got alot of evidence which could get this show in big trouble.
I agree with Kenny and other posters. Corday hired her knowing she was a difficult, unpopular, talentless hack. Might I add back-stabber.
I don't think quitting and then dropping leaks to the media about how you have all this evidence of the misdeeds of Mr. Scott is quitting.
It's a power play. and she won. :shame:
I will officially TM an I am not for Higley bumper if need be, but...

Even if she is a brat, she is NOT the new kid in school. She's pretty much been at DAYS or OLTL for...evah'....since before most of us were born.

So she may be a scabber, and a hack. And she may tank the show-- but-- she's been around so long she must be doing something (or someone!!!) right!!!

I would love to see KC weigh in on the EP thing...a press release at least...

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

I think Higley is next if she is still not able to be successful under a new EP since she's been blaming everything on Scott and butting heads with him from the beginning.

This is too much change over and direction change for the audience though so i don't see how Days can magically be successful at this point.

cjknick
Member Avatar

If in this critical stage it is a must that everyone works together to save this thing .... they are not getting paid to sink it but to save it. If you selfishly snitch to an outside entity then you are not a team player. The appropriate way to deal with problems is to do it internally take it to Corday not to a reporter, not to the WGA but to Corday .... he would be the one to stop the infraction before it got out of hand. If she did and Corday did nothing then Corday is the one at fault!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply