Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ed Scott Fired! Gary Tomlin In!; daytimeconfidential.com exclusive
Topic Started: Aug 16 2008, 12:07 AM (10,626 Views)
Pearly
Member Avatar

Mulder
Aug 16 2008, 10:26 AM
:cheer: I agree. The shit has hit the fan. This is probably a deal that DAYS/Sony/NBC and the WGA worked out. Those responsible for taking the writing over and getting DAYS in trouble----Ed Scott and the diva----fired. I still think Lauren Koslow(Kate) is the diva and I predict that will be the name we hear of being fired. I also predict DAYS will end up re-casting Kate. Maybe original Kate, Deborah Adair could come back. I'd also think that Michele Lee(ex-Karen, KNOTS), Jaclyn Smith, or Linda Gray(ex-Sue Ellen, DALLAS) would work wonderfully.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Sorry guys and gals and scab writers my editor was at the cottage and I couldn't post the story. She'll post it tonite or early tomorrow morning (I work from home, so....)

Nel

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 17 2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry guys and gals and scab writers my editor was at the cottage and I couldn't post the story. She'll post it tonite or early tomorrow morning (I work from home, so....)

Nel
LOL!

Thanks!

FanODays

What I want to know is who Higley is going to blame for a continued loss of audience now that she has gotten her way and Scott is gone. Guess she and Corday can talk about that when they are standing on the unemployment line after the show gets cancelled.

You know I really only have time to watch one soap and lately that has been GH. Parts of it bug me to no end but its a far better show than Days right now plus its not ridden with all of this behind the scenes shit or at least if its there, they keep it to themselves.

I didn't think it was possible to have less respect for Corday than before but I do.

Mason
Member Avatar

sungrey
Aug 17 2008, 12:12 AM
Mason
Aug 16 2008, 09:50 PM
Kenny
Aug 16 2008, 09:48 PM
Tammy
Aug 16 2008, 09:44 PM
You know with all the drama, it makes me wonder, who would seriously WANT to write for this show?
It's pathetic to think that not even JER wants to touch this show.
And you would think that that would tell Corday something.

But no...
Don't give NBC any ideas, please. Forward, not backward. :shame:
Oh, don't worry. I'm in the same boat as you regarding JER.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Nothing new, but this is from SOD's Breaking News Section:

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/
Quote:

Big DAYS Shakeup!
Ed Scott was relieved of his Co-Executive Producer duties at DAYS OF OUR LIVES at the end of the work day Friday. He will be replaced by Gary Tomlin, whose long list of soap credits includes EP of SUNSET BEACH. The move comes close on the heels of reported tension between Scott and Head Writer Dena Higley and rumors of Scott allowing actors to change scripts. "Ed seemed fine at work on Friday," reports a setsider. "It had to come as a big surprise to him."
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Aug 17 2008, 07:47 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't care how long of a history with DAYS Higley has. That's no reason to keep her on if she's destroying the show. No reason at all. If Corday is hellbent on keeping her employed, then demote her. But she's proven over and over again that she should not be in charge of writing this show.

Hypnotoad

Edited by Hypnotoad, Apr 10 2010, 05:06 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Here's an interview from a 2001 issue of "Soap Opera Weekly" with Gary Tomlin in which he gave his thoughts on One Life to Live. Considering that he's now joined the Days staff, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at some of his viewpoints. Reading this, it's very apparent that grabbing a younger audience is very important to him...

--------------------------------------------

Gary Tomlin has an intimate knowledge of One Life to Live. Executive producer since January 2001, Tomlin served as a director on the show from 1992-'95. He continues to direct episodes even while he fulfills his duties at the top. His familiarity with the Llanview community has manifested itself in a way that matters most to daytime fans: the utilization of the show's rich history.

Well into his first year at the helm, Tomlin is pleased with the state of the show, and even more excited by what he has planned for the future. Tomlin sat down with Soap Opera Weekly's Travis Kinsey to talk about the present and future of Llanview.

TRAVIS KINSEY: When you took this job in January, what did you like about the show? What did you think needed fixing?
GARY TOMLIN: I thought the show had a very strong cast. I thought the writing was strong. But I felt it was a little too dark. The show didn't have as much humor as I'd like, and I knew that the show was capable of humor.
Also, I didn't think there were enough young people, and the young people weren't strongly involved. You have to keep replenishing the audience. Otherwise, the show's just going to die.
An article came out saying, "Gary Tomlin's taking over One Life to Live and he's bringing on 15 teenagers and the show's going to be Beverly Hills, 90210." It's not that at all, but I am trying to get a balance with the kids.

TK: You've done a good job spreading the wealth. Pretty much every character has story.

GT: We're trying. We're very determined that Tim Stickney and Nathan Purdee (R.J. and Hank) are going to have story, and we've brought on Sherri Saum (Keri) and also Kamar (De Los Reyes, Antonio) is going to be heavily involved in story. It's a minority group, and a group that has been ignored. Timothy has worked really well but not had any kind of front-and-center story. Nathan was wonderful during the trial, but he hasn't had any front-and-center story. We're toying with romances for both of them. We're determined to use these people more effectively.

TK: Your familiarity with the show is evident through the large amount of show history you're using to tell current story Max and Gabrielle, the return of Allison Perkins and Viki's alters are just three examples.

GT: In watching the show initially, I missed a lot of the characters. So I thought: Gee, what about Gabrielle coming back? Fiona's (Hutchinson) such a wonderful actress, and also [it allowed us] to bring back Al and shore up the family thing and have a young character on the show.
The same thing with Allison Perkins; it invigorates the Viki storyline, and [Allison] kidnapped Jessica, so there's a history there. With Allison stuff, Chris and Lorraine (Whitesell and Broderick, the show's head writers) said "OK, where can we do something where we do bring back that history but also explore something that's going to affect the future of this show?"
We were so fortunate to get Barbara Garrick, who played the role originally, because we used those flashbacks from 13, 14 years ago. It's a treat for the audience that has invested in the show for that long, and the audience that doesn't know the story and gets to see what happened and realize, "Oh my god, this is real. This isn't something they're making up."

TK: Is having directed the show before an advantage?

GT: Knowing the history, knowing what the audience responded to, knowing what a terrific cast we have here and what they're capable of is helpful. I'm not sure if I just started watching the character of Max, if I would've said, "Hey, this guy can be funny," if I didn't have a history of knowing what James (DePaiva, Max) is capable of.

TK: And you continue to direct, even as executive producer.
GT: It gets me into the trenches, so to speak. I work with the actors as actors, as opposed to talking with them here in my office. They get a sense of what I'm looking for.
Same thing with the crew. It's good to see what difficulties they might be having. We have the smallest studio in daytime. It's very hard to move around. Our design team does a phenomenal job. Watching the show, you never realize that our studio is tiny.

TK: Some producers don't believe the Nielson ratings accurately reflect viewership. How much stock do you put in them?
GT: The ratings are all-important. The 18-to-49 demographic, that's absolutely critical. But the thing that I've said to Angela (Shapiro, president, ABC Daytime) and Felicia (Minei Behr, senior vice president, programming, ABC)--and the thing we all agree on--is we need to get the younger audience and not just be satisfied with the fact that our old audience continues to watch. You try to keep them happy but also encourage the younger audience to watch.
A lot of people say the ratings are bogus. It's hard to tell. They bounce around so much, it's crazy. But those are the numbers people live and die by. Until somebody comes up with a better system, that's what we have to live with.

TK: How do you see OLTL as it relates to the other three ABC soaps?
GT: I think all the soaps should do their own thing. The Linda Dano (Rae) crossover was a noble experiment that worked very well, as long as you don't have something that feels like it's plopped in.
Certain people are going to be able to watch more than one show, but a majority are probably going to be committed to one show. Keeping the individuality of those shows is very important. All four shows have their own personalities. What they've done with Port Charles is a very smart move.

TK: Your last job as an executive producer was Sunset Beach, a show that was infamous for being out-there. You then directed Passions, which is even more outrageous. How much of an adjustment is it to work on a show that's far more traditional?
GT: One Life to Live had Eterna; it had the Old West. It's not as if a lot of this has never been done before. This show has been doing crazy stuff for a long, long time, and they're getting back to that on General Hospital with the whole Stavros thing. We're not interested in that kind of science fiction, but we are interested in putting the fun in it. The most dramatic story can have a very fun aspect.

TK: What do you hear fans saying about the show?
GT: We do focus reports, which tend to be more representative of the regular fans than the Internet, because you get a real cross section of a lot of people. They'll say very supportive things, and you'll think: That makes sense. You try to address what people are saying.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Wow.......I am so sad. I really liked ED, damn.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

As much as this pains me to say, I have to give props to Ken Corday for cleaning up this backstage nightmare.

DAYS needs stability and as much as I loved Ed Scott and all he did for DAYS, he ended up making the show extremely unstable with his feud with Higley.

As much as Higley sucks, hijacking the writing and allowing actors to re-write materail is not going to create a stable atmosphere at a show that desperatly needs stability.

He cooked his own goose and left Corday with no other option but to let him go.

Corday made a good decision on letting Scott go. DAYS barely just got renewed by NBC. The last thing they need is more feuds, backstage drama.

Gary Tomlin is an excellent choice as replacement and hopefully he can regain control of what is going on behind the scenes and get everyone working towards the same goals again.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Thanks for posting that interview Kenny. Tomlin is genius

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Aug 19 2008, 02:55 PM
As much as this pains me to say, I have to give props to Ken Corday for cleaning up this backstage nightmare.

DAYS needs stability and as much as I loved Ed Scott and all he did for DAYS, he ended up making the show extremely unstable with his feud with Higley.

As much as Higley sucks, hijacking the writing and allowing actors to re-write materail is not going to create a stable atmosphere at a show that desperatly needs stability.

He cooked his own goose and left Corday with no other option but to let him go.

Corday made a good decision on letting Scott go. DAYS barely just got renewed by NBC. The last thing they need is more feuds, backstage drama.

Gary Tomlin is an excellent choice as replacement and hopefully he can regain control of what is going on behind the scenes and get everyone working towards the same goals again.
Exactly. I agree with you and hypotoad.

I love Ed and what he did but this had to be done. I do hope Higley goes too but I do think that is coming. I think, more or less, Corday had no choice and that maybe he was even told to do this. The mess needs to be cleaned. The show has too much else to work on to worry about backstage drama. They need to bring stability back. Bad writing is one thing but bad morale and feuding is even worse.

Tomlin is very good. He's a good leader and he does get it. As he said in the interview Kenny posted, you can't just go after one audience. You have to go after them all and, hopefully, he will keep Days well balanced and will keep the production quality up. I think the show is not settling with Tomlin. He's talented and worked in the business for years. He knows what he is doing.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 20 2008, 02:25 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply