Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (7,200 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Today is the day that Nicole's Film Noir Fantasy starts!

Let's discuss the good, bad, and in between on Days this week......

Classic Clip from 1983: Alice is arrested after Abe questions her and suspects she deliberately tried to help Roman escape.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Is the whole episode going to be the fantasy stuff or will it be mixed in with the hospital stuff?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Aug 18 2008, 02:12 AM
Is the whole episode going to be the fantasy stuff or will it be mixed in with the hospital stuff?
It's the whole episode from what I recall of it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Amello
Aug 18 2008, 02:13 AM
Mason
Damn. I know I'm probably the only one, but I really could care less about the film noir fantasy.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Someone on YouTube has Monday's episode up already.......

Click Me

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Aug 18 2008, 02:16 AM
Amello
Mason
Damn. I know I'm probably the only one, but I really could care less about the film noir fantasy.
Save the time, it's poorly acted and written anyway.
Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Someone on YouTube has Monday's episode up already.......

Click Me
I watched a bit of the first scene and it looks fun..Love Sami's accent and EJ shirtless is a bonus..Plus Nicole looks fabulous...Looking forward to watching the whole thing tomorrow..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I already watched it and thought it was very well done. Sure, there was a one or two spots where you roll your eyes but it's meant to be fun and I have to say the lighting in the scene where Chloe is singing and Philip and EJ are at the bar watching her is gorgeous. That whole scene is just perfection and I liked the touch of having Chloe so up at Philip's bar looking like she did sort of during the ghoul girl days with the glasses. Nice nod to history there, especially with Philip taking off her glasses and her not being able to see without them. Reminded me of the pier scene in 2000 when he did that.

I thought Ali, James, Bryan, Ari, Jay and Nadia did a fine job. This era would suit them. They all looked great. I loved Ali's voice too. I'm glad someone did something like that. Ari rocked. She was my fave of the episode. She just owned.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 18 2008, 02:57 AM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I thought it was okay. The first 30 mins were good then it started to drag. A 2nd episode wasn't really needed.

Ali's voice got really annoying.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Amello
Aug 18 2008, 02:30 AM
Mason
Amello
Mason
I'm with Amello!

I'm glad they tried something new and I gave it a fair chance, but hated it.

I'm very interested in reading other's opinions on it though. Enjoy!

Ellie

I watched... some thoughts:

- The direction was GORGEOUS. Wow.

- The sets were beautiful, the costumes, makeup etc all perfect.

- JKJ, James Scott, Ari Zuker and especially Bryan were great and very into it, but

- Ali and Nadia pretty much ruined their scenes.

Ali was trying, at least, though I just don't think she has the stage presence or confidence to pull off something like this. Her voice was annoying, and it made her character come off to me as too 'cartoonish'. But Nadia... I mean, to me she looked like she was blankly reading off of cue cards or something. She does have a beautiful singing voice; I don't mean to comment on that part. I think maybe the problem (for me at least) is that that I've gotten used to the Chloe character having that monotone voice and stare, and then when Nadia plays another character exactly the same way, it becomes even more apparent.

As a whole, though, I like when Days tries something creative, and I'm very glad they did this. I hope the actors and crew had fun with it!

cjknick
Member Avatar

I loved it ... it is over the top but different .... Brilliant set design, customes and direction... Acting is great! MUST SEE!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Amello
Mason
Amello
Mason
That's film noir at it's finest ... it's supposed to be over acted and wriiten in that fashion! This also is a fantasy so it should be even more "out there"! That's the whole point!!!!! Over dramatic, simplistic writing ... DAYS was SPOT ON!!!! Great JOB!

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

I enjoyed the episode. Some of the acting was unimpressive, but the well designed sets and beautiful costumes helped make up for it. This was also a welcome change of pace from the hospital storyline and the Stefano pity party scenes.
I absolutely loved the Phloe scenes and the nod to Phloe history. It's good to know that TPTB haven't forgotten about your fanbase and couple.
I find it funny that in fantasies (i.e. film noir and Santeen), EJ is always written as an adultering jerk, when in 'reality' they write him as a man who remained celibate for over a year, lol.
James and Ari's incandescent chemistry still remained intact even in the 40s. Their kiss was great.
Sami was possibly even more irksome in the fantasy than she in in 'reality'.
Ari was the star of this episode, she played the scorned woman well and brought the right layers to the role. Her facial expression when she discovered EJ was cheating on her broke my heart. Nicole also touched me when she expressed a sentiment of not being good enough for EJ :(

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 18 2008, 09:56 AM
I watched... just some thoughts:

- The direction was GORGEOUS. Wow.

- The sets were beautiful, the costumes, makeup etc all perfect.

- JKJ, James Scott, Ari Zuker and especially Bryan were great and very into it, but

- Ali and Nadia pretty much ruined their scenes.

Ali was trying, at least, though I just don't think she has the stage presence or confidence to pull off something like this. Her voice was annoying, and it made her character come off to me as too 'cartoonish'. But Nadia... I mean, to me she looked like she was blankly reading off of cue cards or something. She does have a beautiful singing voice; I don't mean to comment on that part. I think maybe the problem (for me at least) is that that I've gotten used to the Chloe character having that monotone voice and stare, and then when Nadia plays another character exactly the same way, it becomes even more apparent.

As a whole, though, I like when Days tries something creative, and I'm very glad they did this. I hope the actors and crew had fun with it!
Agreeed, and that's why I was happy when Nicole tried to kill Sami.
Edited by DolceDiMera, Aug 18 2008, 10:45 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

cjknick
Aug 18 2008, 10:16 AM
Amello
Mason
Amello
Mason
That's film noir at it's finest ... it's supposed to be over acted and wriiten in that fashion! This also is a fantasy so it should be even more "out there"! That's the whole point!!!!! Over dramatic, simplistic writing ... DAYS was SPOT ON!!!! Great JOB!
I know what film noir is and the direction and sets were great but Ali, James, Bryan and obviously Nadia ruined it with bad acting. There is sucha good thing as being OTT nad watchable and that was not it.
Quote Post Goto Top

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I'm watching DAYS as I work ... I thought this film noir stuff was just for one episode. Its carrying on in today's CA episode too.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Amello
Aug 18 2008, 11:05 AM
cjknick
Amello
Mason
Amello
Mason
I know what film noir is and the direction and sets were great but Ali, James, Bryan and obviously Nadia ruined it with bad acting. There is sucha good thing as being OTT nad watchable and that was not it.
I disagree I think they did a great job acting wise given the fantasy subject matter and the drama that film noir type material presents ... Ali in my opinion nailed her character ....

Deleted User
Deleted User

cjknick
Aug 18 2008, 11:14 AM
Amello
Aug 18 2008, 11:05 AM
cjknick
Amello
Mason
Amello
Mason
I disagree I think they did a great job acting wise given the fantasy subject matter and the drama that film noir type material presents ... Ali in my opinion nailed her character ....
EH, well I thought she sucked LOL. I'm going to watch today Canadian episode then post my thoughts and see if they have changed.
Quote Post Goto Top

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

I didn't think the acting was great. Some of it was good, some of it was mediocre, some of it was bad, but none of it was great.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply