Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (6,921 Views)
Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Kevc1980
Aug 23 2008, 06:53 PM
Kirk
Aug 23 2008, 05:14 PM
And I can't believe I am saying this, but I am looking forward to seeing Melanie, Max, and Stephanie on Monday's show. :drunk:
I'm shocked to be agreeing with you..2 weeks was a very nice break from them..But i'm enjoying Melanie so far, and looking forward to her meeting Nick...Chelsea and Dan are really the only two i'm not looking forward to seeing, but at least they have big stuff coming up.
I've seen Monday's show already. I'm not a Stax fan but they were almost cute. Of course the highlight for me was Nick meeting Melanie. I won't give spoilers away but I have to admit I did not expect how it went at all.

I'm happy to report my Fallonator is back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

After Wednesdays show I don't understand how anyone can think that Drake is a better actor as Jawn then John.

FanODays

Sindacco
Aug 24 2008, 05:53 AM
After Wednesdays show I don't understand how anyone can think that Drake is a better actor as Jawn then John.
It was so nice to see John Black again. I loved how he called the Jawn out for his behavior including being charged with drug dealing. I loved how they showed the secure man vs this insecure man-child who likes to play big man on campus but who really isn't.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sindacco
I hate to admit it, but I think Jawn is played out. I hope the speculation about the character being a "hybrid" is true. OldJohn was TOO good and TOO heroish and TOO worshippy of Marlena for me, but yeah, Jawn's characteristics have run their course. It was a good shock gimmick, but (damn, I hate to admit this!), it's time to melt a little of oldJohn's qualities. Vocal inflection, the eyebrow, and "that's a fact!", mainly. :D

Mason

I'm so sick of "Jawn", so I'll welcome any kind of integration between the two.

naley12
Member Avatar

I want some of the old Jhon and NuJAWN if that is possible

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I would like to get old John back either during November sweeps or at Christmas..Its a big event and Days needs to milk it out..

Sindacco
Member Avatar

This clip (which is only 44 seconds) is more fun then those two entire episodes were
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7JVWej1-kU

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Another thing I didn't like about the film noir episodes was that Nicole was thinking about it, it would have been better if she dreamed about it.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

It was nice seeing the old John back in action again. But... I still can remember how much I hated John and Marlena together. Too perfect, almost sickly so. I really hope that when the old John finally re-emerges that he gets to keep some of the NuJohn nuances as well. John was soooo bland and boring to me. It's been nice to see him do something other than have icky kisses with Marlena and save her from something all the time.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 23 2008, 01:16 PM

6. Alison (when the fuck will Days fire that pathetic excuse of an actress?)
What is so bad about Alison?
Edited by Rakesh198, Aug 24 2008, 04:14 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Shylock
Aug 23 2008, 06:54 PM
I want to state that the new John is better than old John, not just because of the humor.. but because it has enabled Drake to show us he can act, even subtly at times, whereas with Old John he was bland and somewhat smug.. all the damn time. And this new John is fresh and interesting, especially with how he's been acting during this whole crisis and it's aftermath. His scenes with Sami, Marlena, his pop, young Stefano and Old John were probably his best work ever.
I don't get it, I just don't get it. How can anyone like Drakes acting as Jawn more then John? I respect your opinion but I just don't understand :unsure:

Sindacco
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 08:18 AM
Sindacco
I hate to admit it, but I think Jawn is played out. I hope the speculation about the character being a "hybrid" is true. OldJohn was TOO good and TOO heroish and TOO worshippy of Marlena for me, but yeah, Jawn's characteristics have run their course. It was a good shock gimmick, but (damn, I hate to admit this!), it's time to melt a little of oldJohn's qualities. Vocal inflection, the eyebrow, and "that's a fact!", mainly. :D
I LOVED John as the shows main hero, sometimes it was so over the top (especially when JER and Langan were headwriters) so I was just laughing.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Aug 24 2008, 04:14 PM
Sindacco
Aug 23 2008, 01:16 PM

6. Alison (when the fuck will Days fire that pathetic excuse of an actress?)
What is so bad about Alison?
Everything.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I think Alison is very talented. She is a vet at DAYS and it would certainly be very different without her presence. The only time I feel the way you do is when we are faced with Alison on screen like everyday.

Mason

Alison is very overexposed and I've been sick to death of Sami for the past year now, but I can't imagine DAYS without her.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

mesagirl
Aug 24 2008, 03:35 PM
It was nice seeing the old John back in action again. But... I still can remember how much I hated John and Marlena together. Too perfect, almost sickly so. I really hope that when the old John finally re-emerges that he gets to keep some of the NuJohn nuances as well. John was soooo bland and boring to me. It's been nice to see him do something other than have icky kisses with Marlena and save her from something all the time.
That's what I want. I personally want a John who won't worship every decision Marlena makes.
One of the things I love the most about Bo and Hope is Hope's ability to call Bo on his shit when he screws up. She loves him, but she pulls no punches when he acts like an idiot.
What I liked about nuJohn was that ability to do the same to Marlena. So many Salemnites kiss the ground she walks on, it's refreshing to find someone who points out her motives and actions aren't always so pure. Once that happened, it started happening more and more. It being pointed out that maybe Marlena needs to let John WANT to return to his old self. The fact that what she did to Stefano is no better than Jawn wanting to kill Stefano. And so on.
By the same token, I'd like Marlena to do the same WITHOUT having to suffer from amnesia or Satan or Stefano's control or whatever. This thought might not be popular, but Marlena, for being a psychiatrist, is actually one of the more weak-minded women on this show. Gotta give her kudos for mustering up the strength to give herself the antidote. There might be hope yet. But when it comes to mind control....Ah, well.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 05:34 PM
mesagirl
That's what I want. I personally want a John who won't worship every decision Marlena makes.
One of the things I love the most about Bo and Hope is Hope's ability to call Bo on his shit when he screws up. She loves him, but she pulls no punches when he acts like an idiot.
What I liked about nuJohn was that ability to do the same to Marlena. So many Salemnites kiss the ground she walks on, it's refreshing to find someone who points out her motives and actions aren't always so pure. Once that happened, it started happening more and more. It being pointed out that maybe Marlena needs to let John WANT to return to his old self. The fact that what she did to Stefano is no better than Jawn wanting to kill Stefano. And so on.
By the same token, I'd like Marlena to do the same WITHOUT having to suffer from amnesia or Satan or Stefano's control or whatever. This thought might not be popular, but Marlena, for being a psychiatrist, is actually one of the more weak-minded women on this show. Gotta give her kudos for mustering up the strength to give herself the antidote. There might be hope yet. But when it comes to mind control....Ah, well.
:hail: :hail:

That's right. I don't like perfect characters and it's one of the reasons I can't like Marlena since she never makes any mistakes. I want my characters to mess up (as long as it's within character). Bo screwing up and covering for his brother because his backup father is at death's door I can buy.

JustJo
Member Avatar

Tripp
Aug 24 2008, 06:16 PM
ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 05:34 PM
mesagirl
:hail: :hail:

That's right. I don't like perfect characters and it's one of the reasons I can't like Marlena since she never makes any mistakes. I want my characters to mess up (as long as it's within character). Bo screwing up and covering for his brother because his backup father is at death's door I can buy.
I know many see Marlena as too perfect. However, she's screwed up many times in big ways over the years. She messed up by not insisting on working out her feelings about John when Roman came back. She messed up by having an affair with John and putting her whole family through hell. She messed up for years by letting Sami run amuck and turning a blind eye to it out of her sense of guilt. She messed up having sex with Roman in that damn castle and getting pregnant. She messed up by not telling John how she felt during the Kristen era and she and John and Kristen paid for it. She messed up by not giving Jawn more of a chance and working with him to help him find his way And she messed up big time by injecting Stefano (no matter how justified). I've never seen her as perfect. I've seen her as a person with strong integrity who is often conflicted and confused and makes mistakes.

I do think that she's been written as a weaker, more helpless victim the last few years (except right after John "died"). She used to be so fiesty and full of fight. I hope they take her back to that.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Personally, the reason I LOVE Marlena is that she's not perfect. There are certainly times she's tried to be, because her family expected her to, but she made mistakes and unlike everyone else in town, she didn't push the blame on someone else, she took it and she owned it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply