Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (7,121 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

Sweet Sauce
Aug 24 2008, 07:41 PM
Personally, the reason I LOVE Marlena is that she's not perfect. There are certainly times she's tried to be, because her family expected her to, but she made mistakes and unlike everyone else in town, she didn't push the blame on someone else, she took it and she owned it.
Marlena does own her mistakes. And she doesn't play silly games to get back at people. Those are two things I love about her.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I loved the Chloe and Nicole scenes. More of them please! :)

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 24 2008, 04:42 PM
Rakesh198
Aug 24 2008, 04:14 PM
Sindacco
Aug 23 2008, 01:16 PM

6. Alison (when the fuck will Days fire that pathetic excuse of an actress?)
What is so bad about Alison?
Everything.
Like...?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Aug 23 2008, 06:53 PM
Kirk
Aug 23 2008, 05:14 PM
And I can't believe I am saying this, but I am looking forward to seeing Melanie, Max, and Stephanie on Monday's show. :drunk:
I'm shocked to be agreeing with you..2 weeks was a very nice break from them..But i'm enjoying Melanie so far, and looking forward to her meeting Nick...Chelsea and Dan are really the only two i'm not looking forward to seeing, but at least they have big stuff coming up.
Same here.

I already watched Monday and I even found Stax tolerable. I've noticed, strangely enough, that their story calmed down after a big push in June so not forcing Stax on fans has helped and the addition of Melanie has helped too. The story is just so much better and tossing Nick in too helps immensely. I really look forward to getting back to the other stories. The past two weeks were ok but the pace on Monday's show is fast-paced and picks up nicely with where many things were left before the Olympics.

As for Friday, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the Sami/John conversation and John showing so much concern for Marlena. It's so ironic to see Sami calling John on his feelings considering their past. Nice cliffhanger with Marlena not remembering. I liked Lexie's involvement too.

Nicole/Chloe is nice to see. I'm glad they slowly progressed things and allowed the tension to dissipate. I like the idea of them being allies against Sami. With Ava gone, I'm glad the show gave her another friend and Chloe could use one too so it works. Also liked both their interactions with Lucas. Speaking of which, I think having seen Monday's episode as well) the show may have finally found a way to fix what has happened to Sami and Lucas. This whole custody thing has major potential and it works. Stefano being on the loose is a realistic reason for Lucas to push for custody and while we've been down this road with Lucas and Sami, it's different this time. It's about protecting both children from Stefano and I like the angst potential. I'm starting to see signs of the old Lucas and Sami. Not so much on Friday but definitely on Monday. I hope this is the start of something because it felt like the Lucas and Sami we had during Higley's first reign. I did enjoy Sami/EJ and them finding the chess piece and realizing Stefano had been there.

I enjoyed Stefano/Rolf too. I liked Stefano's rage concerning John and the focus on Rolf's loyalty to Stefano. I am so enjoying Stefano's return so far. Joe seems very into it as well. I love him going underground. Good stuff. Tony/EJ was good too. I hope Tony and Anna continue to be active in story.

Hope they don't drop the Steve/Kayla/Joe stuff. That mark that was on his arm makes me think Stefano took blood or something. I just had this sense when Steve asked Kayla if she was sure that Joe was ok that something will come from this. Hope so. They could use more material to play. Good scenes with them and Roman.

My favorite scenes on Friday had to be Nicole and EJ. Ari and James rocked it and I just enjoyed the entire conversation. I will give Higley props for how's she handled the character of Nicole and the EJ/Nicole relationship. It's been her best stuff IMO.

Friday was a very good end to a very good week. It was a fun two weeks for sure.

Oh and, on the subject of Sami, I think all that is needed is a break from her, which we should get from her maternity leave. I also think they have to bring her back in a good story that doesn't involve the tried Lucas/Sami/EJ triangle. As I said, I'm starting to see signs of improvement with Lucas and Sami. Hopefully, it's not just me and it's not just a fluke. Ali is a vet and very popular. I still like her. Her acting is limited but if you keep her edgy, she will be fine. Between Hogan and now Higley, she's become too wishy-washy and too much of a victim. Give her back her strength and edge and give us a break from her with her maternity leave and it should be good IMO.

As for John, one of the reasons I liked John was because it was fresh. It allowed J&M to have a story that was fresh and that could lead to some good individual stuff. However, I do think they need to continue to evolve new John because he has grown stale and I'm starting to see him evolving a bit now with Marlena. I don't mind the old John returning but I want Drake to be into it and my fear is that J&M will be sent right back to the backburner. I do hope that we get a merging of old and new should the real John return. I don't think they should revert John back just yet. If anything, like Kev said, November or Christmas. I think that could be a nice Christmas miracle. I'm one that wanted John to stay dead and was won over by new John and Drake's material so if they can keep the character of John fresh overall and if Drake can keep putting effort out there, I'm game. I also want J&M as individuals and want them to do more then making it all the time and having romantic adventures.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 25 2008, 12:28 AM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 25 2008, 12:17 AM
Nicole/Chloe is nice to see. I'm glad they slowly progressed things and allowed the tension to dissipate. I like the idea of them being allies against Sami. With Ava gone, I'm glad the show gave her another friend and Chloe could use one too so it works. Also liked both their interactions with Lucas. Speaking of which, I think having seen Monday's episode as well) the show may have finally found a way to fix what has happened to Sami and Lucas. This whole custody thing has major potential and it works. Stefano being on the loose is a realistic reason for Lucas to push for custody and while we've been down this road with Lucas and Sami, it's different this time. It's about protecting both children from Stefano and I like the angst potential. I'm starting to see signs of the old Lucas and Sami. Not so much on Friday but definitely on Monday. I hope this is the start of something because it felt like the Lucas and Sami we had during Higley's first reign. I did enjoy Sami/EJ and them finding the chess piece and realizing Stefano had been there.

I liked Nicole/Chloe too. I find that Chloe comes off as a decent actress when she lightens up and smiles a little bit. I can tolerate her. And Nicole usually can get someone to "play" a little bit in scenes with her, so I think those two are great together.

If I thought Lucas was concerned about his daughter with Stefano, then I might give him props on the custody thing. But he was only coming after Ali to spite Sami. Then when he saw that EJ/Sami were nervous about something, that is when he pounced all over the Stefano thing.
Also, Lucas shot STeffie's son, why does Lucas think that Ali would be better protected alone with him. I would think strength in numbers, and it might be a good time for Lucas/EJ/Sami to work together. Don't think that is going to happen.

I thought Friday was an excellent finish to the two weeks! Kudos to Days for stepping up and giving us some quality stuff!

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 08:18 AM
Sindacco
Aug 24 2008, 05:53 AM
After Wednesdays show I don't understand how anyone can think that Drake is a better actor as Jawn then John.
I hate to admit it, but I think Jawn is played out. I hope the speculation about the character being a "hybrid" is true. OldJohn was TOO good and TOO heroish and TOO worshippy of Marlena for me, but yeah, Jawn's characteristics have run their course. It was a good shock gimmick, but (damn, I hate to admit this!), it's time to melt a little of oldJohn's qualities. Vocal inflection, the eyebrow, and "that's a fact!", mainly. :D
I agree. Jawn was fun at first, but now he's played out. Also, seeing the old John made me miss him! I'm ready to meld the two Johns together and create a new and improved version--with better hair. And that's a fact!

Days4Life

PhoenixRising05
Aug 25 2008, 12:17 AM

Hope they don't drop the Steve/Kayla/Joe stuff. That mark that was on his arm makes me think Stefano took blood or something. I just had this sense when Steve asked Kayla if she was sure that Joe was ok that something will come from this. Hope so. They could use more material to play. Good scenes with them and Roman.

Call me crazy, but when Stefano made the remark on Friday's show about raising up a new generation of Dimeras, my first thought was that the mark on Joe's arm is from a blood transfusion....Stefano gave him Dimera blood to make him a Dimera. Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, but that was my first thought and it's the kind of crazy thing DAYS does sometimes.

As for Sami, I agree with others that the main problem with her is that she's been on too much and has turned into a weepy victim. Give her back her edge, cut her screen time, and end this EJ/Sami/Lucas nightmare, and it will be fine. Sami has been around a long time and is very popular; it would be crazy for her to be fired. I can't imagine her not being on the show! And Ali is not the greatest actress in daytime, but when Sami is written true to character, Ali nails it. She's a lot of fun to watch, and I love her. They just have to fix the mess her character has become the last couple years.

CatherineEarnshaw

What I find interesting is how John and Marlena are criticized because John feels so lucky that Marlena is in his life but Bo and Steve, who feel similarly about Hope and Kayla, typically aren't.

Part of John and Marlena's history is how he believes that his life began with her. He has said repeatedly over the years that she is his beginning and ending, that she is the only woman he has ever really loved, etc.

And as for his always saving her, I would say that it is about equal. One only has to remember, for example, when she tied him to the raft and then fell overboard when he was going to drown and the raft could only hold one person.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 25 2008, 10:13 AM
What I find interesting is how John and Marlena are criticized because John feels so lucky that Marlena is in his life but Bo and Steve, who feel similarly about Hope and Kayla, typically aren't.

Part of John and Marlena's history is how he believes that his life began with her. He has said repeatedly over the years that she is his beginning and ending, that she is the only woman he has ever really loved, etc.

And as for his always saving her, I would say that it is about equal. One only has to remember, for example, when she tied him to the raft and then fell overboard when he was going to drown and the raft could only hold one person.

John and Marlena were way to saccharine for me. I didn't ever say that John was too perfect, or Marlena too perfect. It's their relationship that comes across as too perfect (and I am talking about before John's "death").

Both characters to me got stuck in a rut, a rut that was extremely boring to watch. It doesn't matter to me who saves who more... the point is that's all John ever seems to do... save Marlena. :sleep:

As for trying to compare Jarlena to Bope and Payla... I see some comparisons. But these couples, to me anyway, are much more interesting to watch on screen. There is fire between them. They argue. They kid around with each other. Jarlena isn't like that, at least not in my opinion. It was always just ooey gooey, I love you. And of course lets not forget the incredible excitement of sitting around reading Santeen letters. ;)
This is why I really hope that when John returns that he keeps some of the nuances of NuJohn with him. I think the character would benefit greatly with not being so one dimensional anymore.
Edited by mesagirl, Aug 25 2008, 11:59 AM.

CatherineEarnshaw

mesagirl
Aug 25 2008, 11:56 AM
CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 25 2008, 10:13 AM

John and Marlena were way to saccharine for me. I didn't ever say that John was too perfect, or Marlena too perfect. It's their relationship that comes across as too perfect (and I am talking about before John's "death").

Both characters to me got stuck in a rut, a rut that was extremely boring to watch. It doesn't matter to me who saves who more... the point is that's all John ever seems to do... save Marlena. :sleep:

As for trying to compare Jarlena to Bope and Payla... I see some comparisons. But these couples, to me anyway, are much more interesting to watch on screen. There is fire between them. They argue. They kid around with each other. Jarlena isn't like that, at least not in my opinion. It was always just ooey gooey, I love you. And of course lets not forget the incredible excitement of sitting around reading Santeen letters. ;)
This is why I really hope that when John returns that he keeps some of the nuances of NuJohn with him. I think the character would benefit greatly with not being so one dimensional anymore.
it wasn't just J/M sitting around reading letters though, which I agree was boring.

John and Marlena have argued a lot over the years, from the very beginning. And they have laughed and kidded a lot too. It is all on youtube. They have always argued about Stefano, her need to help bring him down and John's need to protect her. I have always liked that element. I have found Stayla and Bope boring in recent years especially although I liked both in the past.

esp13
Member Avatar

You know, I hate the attempts at comparing supercouples. The inevitable question of why does ________ get criticized for __________ when the others don't is easily answered -- writing and personal preferences. If you really like a couple, you are more apt to overlook the weaknesses in the writing and find the little things that do work. On the other hand, if you are not a fan of the couple, you aren't looking for the little things and the writing weaknesses dominate everything else.

I'm not a big J&M fan and probably will never be one. And, I freely admit that I found them very difficult to watch from the fall of 2006 through John's "death." But, I also know that it was almost entirely about the writing. They didn't do much of anything for months (John was in a coma, Marlena was rarely on) and after John did wake up, they were quickly dispatched to reading letters and being almost sickeningly sappy. When they had something to do (i.e. tracking down the undead Stefano in Italy in December of 2006), I pretty much enjoyed it. You don't have to love a couple to appreciate a decent storyline. You also don't have to be a fan of a couple to recognize that crappy writing is the problem, not the couple itself -- particularly with long-term characters/couples that have proven their ability to carry strong storylines.

So when one couple is getting criticized about something that others aren't -- look to the writing, because that is almost always the answer to the question.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 24 2008, 05:14 PM
Alison is very overexposed and I've been sick to death of Sami for the past year now, but I can't imagine DAYS without her.
I can :smile:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 05:34 PM

One of the things I love the most about Bo and Hope is Hope's ability to call Bo on his shit when he screws up. She loves him, but she pulls no punches when he acts like an idiot.
What I hate about Bo and Hope is that they are always lying to each other. Always have some lie coming between them. Plus they have zilch sexual chemistry.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Aug 26 2008, 01:32 AM
Mason
Aug 24 2008, 05:14 PM
Alison is very overexposed and I've been sick to death of Sami for the past year now, but I can't imagine DAYS without her.
I can :smile:
As much as I like them (more Dee then Drake), I can also imagine Days without them too :smile: .

No one actor or actress (character or characters) are bigger then the show. Soaps are ensemble pieces. Yes, the vets have been on longer and are looked at as more important and, thus, more valuable and harder to imagine not being there. Everyone is a equal, despite their years on the show. We all have preferences and strong feelings about certain characters and their portrayers but, ultimately, it's about the show, which has survived without the likes of Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian, etc before and even thrived ratings-wise at times without them. It's all in the story (although ratings now are driven more by events then story) and, with numbers how they are, I doubt any character being let go, no matter who it is, would make a difference. Soaps are going to keep bleeding audience regardless.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Aug 26 2008, 01:35 AM
ladyofthelake
Aug 24 2008, 05:34 PM

One of the things I love the most about Bo and Hope is Hope's ability to call Bo on his shit when he screws up. She loves him, but she pulls no punches when he acts like an idiot.
What I hate about Bo and Hope is that they are always lying to each other. Always have some lie coming between them. Plus they have zilch sexual chemistry.
And John didn't lie to Marlena about sub sex? What about all the mercenary memories he had that he tried to cover up? It's conflict. Just like in real life, lies are told. You have to do something with these couples to give them something to do. It just can't be one romantic adventure or mystery after another.

Mason
Member Avatar

I never said Alison/Sami was bigger than the show or whatever. There are just certain characters you come to identify with different shows, and for me, Sami is one of them at DAYS.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Aug 26 2008, 10:05 AM
I never said Alison/Sami was bigger than the show or whatever. There are just certain characters you come to identify with different shows, and for me, Sami is one of them at DAYS.
I know you didn't, Mason.

My post was directed at someone else :wink: :smile: .

cassie1013

esp13
Aug 25 2008, 12:29 PM
You know, I hate the attempts at comparing supercouples. The inevitable question of why does ________ get criticized for __________ when the others don't is easily answered -- writing and personal preferences. If you really like a couple, you are more apt to overlook the weaknesses in the writing and find the little things that do work. On the other hand, if you are not a fan of the couple, you aren't looking for the little things and the writing weaknesses dominate everything else.

I'm not a big J&M fan and probably will never be one. And, I freely admit that I found them very difficult to watch from the fall of 2006 through John's "death." But, I also know that it was almost entirely about the writing. They didn't do much of anything for months (John was in a coma, Marlena was rarely on) and after John did wake up, they were quickly dispatched to reading letters and being almost sickeningly sappy. When they had something to do (i.e. tracking down the undead Stefano in Italy in December of 2006), I pretty much enjoyed it. You don't have to love a couple to appreciate a decent storyline. You also don't have to be a fan of a couple to recognize that crappy writing is the problem, not the couple itself -- particularly with long-term characters/couples that have proven their ability to carry strong storylines.

So when one couple is getting criticized about something that others aren't -- look to the writing, because that is almost always the answer to the question.
This is really well said, I agree 100%. It is on the story, unless for whatever reason the story or characters get overexposed.

And on the topic of Sami, I've always liked Sami as a B character, but I don't really feel that she's worthy enough to be at the forefront being the type of character she is. I'm really tired of her because it's the same thing over and over again. I actually feel stressed out when watching her on screen because she's so damn hysterical!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply