Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (7,162 Views)
Alligato
Member Avatar

I just watched it and I loved it!

It was different, creative, and albeit a little cheesy, but when has Days not been a little bit cheesy?? Really. We knew this was a little gimicky for the Olympics, so I am surprised that people aren't enjoying it for what it is.

James, Ari, Ali, JKJ and Bryan were fantastic! They did an excellent job with their characters, really knew how to wear the clothes and act the part. Nadia has such a beautiful voice, and I liked the Goul Girl look, and her transformation.
Ali's voice irked me to no end in the beginning - loved that her costars seemed to want to crack up when she talked - but toward the end, her voice fit with the airheadedness of her ditzy character. I thought she did a great job making that character different and her own.
Nicole, as always, delivered wonderfully.
James was gorgeous and can really do that period justice.
Loved all the guys, and girl, smoking. Something about that just really made it for me. Probably because you don't see people smoking on daytime TV.

Again, a little cheesy, but I am okay with cheese if there is some entertainment value. I was definitely entertained and enjoyed seeing my favorite characters have a little break from "reality" to act a little different.
I give it two thumbs and look forward to tomorrow!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

I loved the creative camera angles they used. Low shots high shots, the lighting was fantastic ... Days really rocked this thing. This should win emmy's all over the place!!!! I appreciate the creativity that went into this - infront of the camera and in back! Brilliant!

Ellie

cjknick
Aug 18 2008, 01:40 PM
I loved the creative camera angles they used. Low shots high shots, the lighting was fantastic ... Days really rocked this thing. This should win emmy's all over the place!!!! I appreciate the creativity that went into this - infront of the camera and in back! Brilliant!
I completely agree about the camerawork - I loved that "above the ceiling fan" shot they used and the other interesting angles.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm just happy Days is trying something a little out of their comfort zone..Something special...Most of the other soaps have done it on occasion..And if fans don't like it, its only for 2 episodes...I hope they can score some technical nominations for this stuff..And if Ed Scott had stayed, i do think they would be considered for best directing..In fact i still hope they get that as a nod to Ed's great work..

Kenny
Member Avatar

Man, Alison Sweeney has really developed into a crap actress. As for Nadia, well... was she ever all that spectacular? Some things just never change, including her monotone, emotionally void vocal expression.

That voice she used was ridiculous, LoL.

The rest of it... meh. Good direction, interesting sets, fabulous lighting and nice camera work though! The technical stuff just screamed "Ed Scott" to me.

brimike

Kevc1980
Aug 18 2008, 01:49 PM
I'm just happy Days is trying something a little out of their comfort zone..Something special...Most of the other soaps have done it on occasion..And if fans don't like it, its only for 2 episodes...I hope they can score some technical nominations for this stuff..And if Ed Scott had stayed, i do think they would be considered for best directing..In fact i still hope they get that as a nod to Ed's great work..
I'm positive they'll get hair/make-up/wardrobe/lighting nominations from this. Possibly set design as well, although the first four I listed seem to be locks based on what I saw.

peaches179

Kenny
Aug 18 2008, 01:54 PM

The rest of it... meh. Good direction, interesting sets, fabulous lighting and nice camera work though! The technical stuff just screamed "Ed Scott" to me.

That about sums it up for me. :)

Mason
Member Avatar

Right now, because of the Olympics, DAYS and OLTL come on at the same time here. Definitely glad I chose to watch OLTL over DAYS, today.

brimike

They might get an editing nom out of this too. If they're smart, this is definitely the episode they'll pick for the techies.

Kenny
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 18 2008, 02:12 PM
They might get an editing nom out of this too. If they're smart, this is definitely the episode they'll pick for the techies.
LoL! Listen to yourself being silly. If they're smart?

C'mon, buddy... you and I both know that's an impossibility. Knowing Corday as we do, he'll probably screw up and submit an episode of Tinda Lau by mistake. :P

brimike

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Depends who they've got from Scott's camp in January when the episodes are picked. If all the Scott-ites are gone, then they might pick a non-Ed Scott show just out of pettiness and ego ("He was mean to us! We're not picking one of the shows HE produc'ed! So there! Hah!")
Edited by brimike, Aug 18 2008, 02:22 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 18 2008, 02:20 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Depends who they've got from Scott's camp in January when the episodes are picked. If all the Scott-ites are gone, then they might pick a non-Ed Scott show just out of pettiness and ego ("He was mean to us! We're not picking one of the shows HE produc'ed! So there! Hah!")
He'll have the last laugh at the Emmy's, watching as the Days crew gets stuck with a table way in the back to hide their looks of disappointment as they lose category after category.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

LOL! I was expecting pure shit out of these episodes, but from what I've seen so far, they're fun. I only got to catch the last 20 minutes, but I'm going to watch it later tonight on SoapNet.

esp13
Member Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed the film noir experiment. It looked like everybody was having fun with it as well. I actually thought Ali's voice fit the ditzy character she was supposed to be playing (it was Nicole's dream after all). NB was marginally better than usual, but only because she sang part of the time. The techical aspects (lighting, directing, camera work, sets, clothes, etc.) were all wonderfully done. I'm looking forward to watching part 2 now.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I absolutely LOVED the episode. Sure, there were some parts that I found myself zoning out and a little bored, but I'm still glad they did this fantasy episode.

I don't understand why people think Ali and Nadia were so bad...both of them did great, IMO. Nadia's voice is amazing. And I loved the way Ali was playing her character...it fit well and I know I've seen several old movies with women who act and talk like that.

Kyrai

I was expecting to love this, but I only liked it. Maybe I expected to much, but Nadia, Ari, and Bryan were so flat. It was like they were just reading their lines off of cards to me. I usually love Nicole's delivery, and I can't figure out why she didn't appeal to me more. I usually think of her as pretty colorful, so maybe lack of color hampered my enjoyment of her. Don't know what was up with Bryan's hair, but it looked strange. EJ and Phillips looked great, so not sure why they messed up Bryan's unless they were going for making him look thicker.

Phillip was awesome, and EJ and Sami were good. Overall, the good barely outweighed the bland to me.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Aug 18 2008, 06:07 PM
I was expecting to love this, but I only liked it. Maybe I expected to much, but Nadia, Ari, and Bryan were so flat. It was like they were just reading their lines off of cards to me. I usually love Nicole's delivery, and I can't figure out why she didn't appeal to me more. I usually think of her as pretty colorful, so maybe lack of color hampered my enjoyment of her. Don't know what was up with Bryan's hair, but it looked strange. EJ and Phillips looked great, so not sure why they messed up Bryan's unless they were going for making him look thicker.

Phillip was awesome, and EJ and Sami were good. Overall, the good barely outweighed the bland to me.

Bryan apparently didn't want to cut his hair ... so they pinned it up instead and he got to wear a cool hat!

Sariah
Member Avatar

I really enjoyed today's show. Not only for all the nods to Phloe history (Chloe dressed up dowdily, the removal of the glasses by Philip, her singing for him), but I just enjoyed all of it. AS did get on my nerves in the beginning (the squealing in bed, the panting/labored breathing as EJ pushed her out the door) but I did like her more as she calmed down some.

I thought everybody did a really good job. I thought the visuals were just amazing - everyone looked phenomenal. They should just put JS and JKJ in tuxes all the time and having them hanging out at bars together as best friends. I was so loving them!

I know it's not a majority opinion, but I thought NB did a good job today - and I absolutely loved her singing (although it would have been nice if she could have sang more than one song over and over again). I loved the costumes, and the lighting, and I loved that they were just trying something different. It was fun to watch.

Although, I can't imagine Nicole cleaning in any reality. :D

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sariah
Aug 18 2008, 07:51 PM
I really enjoyed today's show. Not only for all the nods to Phloe history (Chloe dressed up dowdily, the removal of the glasses by Philip, her singing for him), but I just enjoyed all of it.
Hmm, perhaps I'm just too thick headed, but I didn't catch on that any of those were nods to Phloe's history today. Then again, I didn't pat attention to too many of their scenes, LoL.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Kenny
Aug 18 2008, 08:12 PM
Sariah
Aug 18 2008, 07:51 PM
I really enjoyed today's show. Not only for all the nods to Phloe history (Chloe dressed up dowdily, the removal of the glasses by Philip, her singing for him), but I just enjoyed all of it.
Hmm, perhaps I'm just too thick headed, but I didn't catch on that any of those were nods to Phloe's history today. Then again, I didn't pat attention to too many of their scenes, LoL.
That's 'cause you're not Phloe obsessed, silly. ;) But it was very much like some scenes that happened between them back in 2000. I'm loving Clem Egan right now for knowing that. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply