Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (6,927 Views)
Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I just finished and I liked it...It wasn't the most exciting episode, but it was a lot of fun and looked great..And a nice break from the norm...If there was ever a time to try something like this, a few days during the Olympics is the perfect time...Even though more people might be tuning in because it airs after the Olympics, NBC will most likely just consider these 2 weeks special programming..

I loved that Sami was a dimwit tart in Nicole's fantasy..Also Jay and James looked mighty fine in their suits..That white suit EJ was wearing looked great...The Phloe scenes were nice and these scenes showed those two still have chemistry..and i loved Nicole smothering Sami with the pillow at the end...With how annoying Sami has become at times, it was a great scene to see play out..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

River

Period movies take months to film, whereas Scott, the actors and the crew had a couple of days. The sets, shots and wardrobe were appropriate for the genre being referenced and impressive for the daytime medium. All of the actors except Nadia and James attempted to change their pitch or vocal inflections to suit their forties alter ego, and while each slipped at least once, they did admirable work overall. I recognized the some of the old movie characters and situations that were being refitted, and much of the dialogue was spot on. It appears that everyone involved worked hard, and they deserve credit for what they accomplished under what had to be trying conditions.

FYI, I am neither for nor against Phloe, but I did catch and appreciate the reference to the couple's early past.

FanODays

Kyrai
Aug 18 2008, 06:07 PM
I was expecting to love this, but I only liked it. Maybe I expected to much, but Nadia, Ari, and Bryan were so flat. It was like they were just reading their lines off of cards to me. I usually love Nicole's delivery, and I can't figure out why she didn't appeal to me more. I usually think of her as pretty colorful, so maybe lack of color hampered my enjoyment of her. Don't know what was up with Bryan's hair, but it looked strange. EJ and Phillips looked great, so not sure why they messed up Bryan's unless they were going for making him look thicker.

Phillip was awesome, and EJ and Sami were good. Overall, the good barely outweighed the bland to me.

Nadia's deliveries are usually flat.

I thought the show was incredibly silly and fell asleep halfway through.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Amello
Aug 18 2008, 11:05 AM
cjknick
Aug 18 2008, 10:16 AM
Amello
Aug 18 2008, 02:30 AM
Mason
Aug 18 2008, 02:16 AM
Amello
Aug 18 2008, 02:13 AM
Mason
Aug 18 2008, 02:12 AM
Is the whole episode going to be the fantasy stuff or will it be mixed in with the hospital stuff?
It's the whole episode from what I recall of it.
Damn. I know I'm probably the only one, but I really could care less about the film noir fantasy.
Save the time, it's poorly acted and written anyway.
That's film noir at it's finest ... it's supposed to be over acted and wriiten in that fashion! This also is a fantasy so it should be even more "out there"! That's the whole point!!!!! Over dramatic, simplistic writing ... DAYS was SPOT ON!!!! Great JOB!
I know what film noir is and the direction and sets were great but Ali, James, Bryan and obviously Nadia ruined it with bad acting. There is sucha good thing as being OTT nad watchable and that was not it.
I thought James was good, he played the english cad type very well. I didn't find him OTT at all, he hit the right notes to me.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I have to laugh at the comments about bad acting - all you have to do is go and watch some old film noir films American and British and what you will find is BAD acting by today's standards ... it's not like the acting of today - It actually is more like stage acting exaggerated and melodramatic...in the American film noir films the dialogue is choppy and lines are delivered right after each other ... If you watch he British Film Noir - the actors are more into mannerism and smoother delivers with long pregnant pauses to focus on the facial expressions... and you will see them opening up their stance as if they are playing to a stage audience...Plus there is severe blocking elements that are not smooth but very deliberate as if the actors are trying to upstage each other .... sorry I studied theatre and acting in college and judged so many acting contests so I could go on and on....

Days4Life

I agree that the acting is falling in line with the film noir style. If you go back and watch those movies, it's much different from what we're used to now. I just think two days of it constantly being on was too much; I lost interest pretty quickly.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I haven't watched it all yet as I didn't want to subject my husband to it, but from what I did watch, it wasn't all bad. I only got to the part where Nicole hired Lucas to find the "other woman" and showed him the earring. The lighting, camera angles were superb. Acting ok. Just a couple of filler days that I can put up with cause if I can get through the usual episodes, I can get through anything! :D

cjknick
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Aug 19 2008, 01:14 PM
I agree that the acting is falling in line with the film noir style. If you go back and watch those movies, it's much different from what we're used to now. I just think two days of it constantly being on was too much; I lost interest pretty quickly.
Yeah I think the acting was pretty much to film noir style exaggerated and stilted .... I loved it! It made me giggle! Nice break!

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I loved one scene in the preview for tomorrow, it had Steffy standing there holding baby Joe.........
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I wonder what Stefano does to Baby Joe?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I haven't seen today's show yet, but I liked the film noir stuff yesterday. Ali's voice was irritating though. I do think one day of it would have been enough.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I loved today's show.
It was raining outside, I was curled up on the sofa, and it just set the mood. I forgot that I was watching Days. It was nice.
I must say that I LOVED Chloe's singing. She is really good.
Loved the lighting, camera angles, clothes, acting, everything. Yes, it was campy and cheesy, but I enjoyed the heck out of my cheese.

I was kind of disappointed to see we were back to the same ole stuff for tomorrow. For some reason, I don't think I am going to enjoy the "ghosts of Christmas past" stuff tomorrow with John.
We'll see.

Days4Life

NB is a much better singer than she is an actress.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

So far this film noire direction has been so so for me.

Film noire or not, Ali's performance was lacking. Way too OTT for me and her voice was just grating and annoying. She just can not act the ditzy blonde well. There was a scene where her and EJ were at the club and she went to the loo, and I just thought... wow that's horrible all around hehe. Even the way she carried herself. I agree about NB, her acting was flat as usual. I wasn't impressed with her singing either. Maybe its just the style? Anyway, I don't think she'd make it through the first rounds of American Idol to be quite honest.

Ari has actually been my favorite so far. I think she's captured the film noire style the best. All of the guys were pretty good. JKJ I think has done the best with his role so far.

The set/lighting/mood... all of that is fantastic however.

Anyway that's my own personal take so far. :smile:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I've really enjoyed this! (Just finished watching yesterday's episode and am just starting today's).
Yeah, 40's movies, in general, have some pretty "different" acting. I think they did well. Yes, Nadia still comes off a little flat in her delivery. Singing is definitely her forte. She's got a gorgeous voice. I want to ditto the highlight votes for Ari. I love the nuances she's been presenting since returning.
Ali was so-so for me, but she WAS the blonde ditz. Not too much variable in that, but I really laughed out loud at her death throes. Reminded me of those cowboys in the Westerns who took 5 minutes to fall and die.

JustJo
Member Avatar

I didn't expect to like the film noir episodes, but I actually enjoyed them. They were fun, and I thought some of the actors fit into the era beautifully. :applause:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think the acting and writing was perfect for film noir. Having said that, when it comes to sequences or special events like this, you have to judge the thing as a whole. You can't focus on acting, writing, etc specifically. You have to look at it all together and then judge. There will always be something annoying about something like this and not everyone will always enjoy it. The one thing I appreciate is that they played it seriously. Sure, there were a few moments to chuckle at but some was unintentional. I'm sick of things like this being played just for laughs. We've had enough fantasies like that. We needed one like this and the best part is it only lasted two days for those who hate it. It was a nice escape.

Today was fun and I did think the story was ok. I liked the whole "affair leading to jilted wife killing husband's mistress" angle. It was classic for a film noir piece. I also liked how Nicole tried to drag Lucas into it and then forced EJ to help only to be caught in the end anyway. Nice tie in with Nicole's history of being a loser in love. Roman and Abe showing up was quite funny. It was also interesting to see how Nicole viewed people in her dream since she conjured up what we saw. Good stuff.

The technical aspects of this were superb. The acting was decent. I can't bash Ali because she took a risk and actresses were like that back then. It fit. Her death scene is what I mean when I say some parts were unintentionally funny. That scene was hilarious. Ari was fantastic, as was James and Bryan. Jay was good too. Renton was ok but did like nothing. Josh and James Reynolds did well with their little moments. Nadia was the weak one IMO but her singing made up for it. I think all the actors did a good job trying to capture the period. As I said before, the little nods to Phloe history yesterday were nice. All in all, this was good but I agree it would've been best to just do it for one day. Two was just too much. The beginning of Monday was good but the last half until Nicole went after Sami dragged but today moved pretty well and held my interest. Kudos to Clem Egan (who needs to write more IMO) and Victor Gianella for the past two days. They wrote good stuff. The nod to the past noir movie today was nice. I appreciate the effort put into all this.

The other problem I had with this too was the way they transitioned into and out of the fantasy. Was Nicole even drunk? Seriously, this came off more like her daydreaming then anything else. That's fine but it seems it's not what they were going for according to how this was promoted. Ari played it well but they promoted this as a drunken fantasy and I was expecting her to be drunk at the start of Monday and then have that carry through the two days. It would've worked and save time. Then, they would not have had to keep going in and out like they did to remind us it was a fantasy. They could've introduced her already drunk yesterday and maybe even had her watching a film noir by accident or something and then we would not need to see her except at the end of yesterday and at the beginning and end of today. I guess I'm nit-picking (which is against my normal behavior LOL) but it's just a point that bothered me.

All in all, this was fun but I'm ready to get back to the hospital stuff. I kind of take back my rant from last week because this fantasy was a nice way of giving us a break from the hospital stuff after it dragged at times last week. Now the show can get back into it and move things along.

koos

I switched to an old movie on TCM while in the middle of Tuesday's Days, and it was so over the top melodramatic that it made the Days acting seem downright normal.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Those 40's movies are a riot.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

OMG!

I'm watching now and am loving the flashback with Sam and Marlena.......
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply